✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Hymn for the Weekend

Coeurli

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am actually pretty excited for this song. I like it when Coldplay try new things, it's one of the main reasons I like the band so much. A hip hop song is something we haven't seen them do before. Princess of China was too poppy to be considered hip hop and Lost+ was just an existing Jay-Z verse slapped onto an extended version of Lost! so I won't count that either. Really excited to see if they're able to pull it off!

Which Jay-Z song has that verse in it?

Thanks! I never knew that! Guess I need to listen to more Jay-Z :p

I did a deeper research and he also used the verse in something called "Grammy Family Freestyle"? And apparently Most Kingz came out after Lost+ so maybe he just reused the same verse over and over again. I'm not sure myself

EDIT: Wikipedia said it was based on the freestyle, so that must be it.

She's relatively young, so I think I'm not really surprised. I'm sure many people say the same too. Kids these days get used to loud pop/electronic sound anyway.

So does she like the 'Oldplay' songs as well?

That was my point hahaha yeah she only listens to bubblegum pop and hates all of Coldplay except for that song

At that age I was a little bit fascinated by bubblegum pop too, I must admit...it's just very catchy sometimes ! But I realized how shallow it is.

Bubblegum pops are nice to listen to but just for a while before they get boring fast. You know, like guilty pleasure listening experience :P

I didn't mean Jay-Z on Lost+. The album version Lost! itself has a strong hip hop drumbeat...

And for the record, is this HFTW snippet hip hop or RnB now ??

I don't know, I'm really bad at labeling genres. I just called it hip hop :D

By the way, I'm really wondering when we'll hear Hymn for the Weekend! I expected it to debut at Zane's show but it turned out to be Everglow. Tomorrow would make sense since it's the official single release day in the music industry, but we've also got the AOAL video incoming and I think releasing both on the same day would either cause media to ignore the vid and focus on HFTW or the other way around. Monday would make sense as well, to give the AHFOD pre-ordres a final push in their last week before the release... What do you guys and girls think?

I think in business terms it would be stupid of them not to release it before the AHFOD release, in order to boost first week sales. Will probably be released 2-3 days before the AHFOD release.

Princess Of China wasn't released before MX, was it? I think it's ok to release it later so that when sales start dropping they go up again

POC was a good experimental pop song. HFTW sounds immensely more interesting than Everglow.

Would you rather an amazingly executed pop song or a badly written song that sounds like "real" Coldplay?

It's not even a real choice for me.

POC was a good experimental pop song. HFTW sounds immensely more interesting than Everglow.

Would you rather an amazingly executed pop song or a badly written song that sounds like "real" Coldplay?

It's not even a real choice for me.

I admit that after listening to Everglow, which I didn't like, I am rather curious about HFTW. The snippet sound like generic 2000s RnB but the song may not be that bad. I must admit rather want a good RnB song than a horrible pop ballad.

^ Anyone here old enough to know Destiny's Child (the band before Beyonce went solo)? I don't know what Beyonce sounds like now, but I reckon HFTW really sounds like a Destiny's Child hit... It's got that signature vibe going all over it... I did like it when they made a good hit.

I remember the song Survivor very well (I was in school) and I liked it. RnB itself is not wrong, every type of music has good examples and bad examples... I just hope HFTW will be in the first group!

I had very low expectations, maybe that's why now I find it quite interesting.

The preview snippet it's clearly the worst part of the song.

The beginning has a lot of 'Homecoming' feeling, without Kanye.

It's like Princess of China: without Rhianna, it would be a great song.

This, without Beyoncè, and the part previewed in the snippet ('wings on me...'), has a lot of potential.