✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Hymn for the Weekend

Coeurli

Was anyone else completely shocked by the lyrics at first? I hated the song at first, I don't know now. I could definitely listen to it and I'd sing to it live but it's definitely not my favourite. But it's kinda fun and the tune is funky too

Me too, but i find it.... "Interesting" listening Chris singing that. It fits with his voice.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MinceSpies - respectfully disagree. Princess of china is massive and a great driving beat. Hymn for the Weekend sounds like Chris desperately trying to be an R&B singer. Plus i guess he owed a favor to Jay-Z because Beyonce was avg at best on this track. Really disappointed in this one. Probably will be avg at best for me after a few more listens but the mix on this just irks me like no other.

• Like 1

Say what you will about the song, it will get stuck in your head. It's the song I've kept humming unwillingly.

I love the song. The production is clean, the beats awesome, the piano's sick. The lyrics are cool. [emoji2][emoji106]

Not that it really matters, but because of the radio premiere does it mean HFTW will be released on iTunes soon? It would nice to get another song from the pre-order, I want to hear it in somewhat higher quality. I think it will sound sublime.

This could have been a good upbeat song with that melody and chorus, but unfortunately the timing is off at several points.

Poor choices in terms of buildup. Also the end "lemme shoot across the skyyy" drains the energy out somehow at the end of the song...

• Like 1

This could have been a good upbeat song with that melody and chorus, but unfortunately the timing is off at several points.

Poor choices in terms of buildup. Also the end "lemme shoot across the skyyy" drains the energy out somehow at the end of the song...

It just doesn't flow well

^^^^Agree. This song has really strong individual parts that don't fit together. I love brassy "put your wings on me" and "drink from me" but then it just blows up into this boring 4/4 chorus with like no instrumentation? Why didn't they just blast a bunch of horns and strings and wailing guitars at this part, that would make for a better song that is still catchy and radio-worthy.

• Like 1

You know, I like this song. It's strange, unusual. At first I hated the chourus (come on, Chris you can't sing: I'm feeling drunk and high!) but, if you link this lyrics to "Life is a drink, and love's a drug", in the first verse, it makes sense a lot. The entire song makes sense. Again and again, thank you, Coldplay.

I don't mind the chorus (DO NOT LIKE the lyrics though!) but is anyone else thinking that this sounds....dated? Sounds like something I'd hear from 10-15 years ago.

to me, quite a lot of the album does actually sound pretty 1998-2000ish...

Everglow, Fun, HFTW...

I love this song and I must admit I only own one Beyoncé song, so it´s not like I am a fan hehe

She does a wonderful job on this track playing the part of the "angel". No denying her wonderful talent! The lyrics are again at once nuanced and direct, a combination Chris manages to pull off each time on the tracks we´ve heard so far.

And finally an R&B song I like...I had to wait for Coldplay to write it *lol*