✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Hymn for the Weekend

Coeurli

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THIS IS PURE SHIT WHAT ARE THEY DOIINNNNGGGGG

I may be an odd mix of Oldplayer and defender of some of Coldplay's new direction, but this is pretty awful. I had to use the Everglow snippet to cleanse my ears after that disappointing HFTW snippet. ;) :p Seriously, I am enjoying everything but this. I always hoped Coldplay would never go this far, but boy was I wrong! I expected to hear Coldplay, but all I hear is Stargate with Chris and Beyonce singing.

The only good thing I have to say about the snippet is that it's still better than the entirety of its inspiration, Turn Down For What. I hope and pray that the rest of the song is a little less... generic. So far, it lacks the kind of uniqueness and Coldplay charm that even Princess of China has.

If someone likes this snippet, I am not going to judge them for it, but I am still very disappointed by it.

THIS IS PURE SHIT WHAT ARE THEY DOIINNNNGGGGG

Can I ask why, though? I get the impression many people are going to hate it for no other reason than that Beyonce has a role in it. I mean, yeah, it's aiming to be a big hit but musically it sounds very nice.

CLEARLY they didn't learn from that awful song with Rihanna. A song with Beyoncé is always not going to appeal to REAL Coldplay fans. Why do they keep doing duets.

There's no such thing as a 'real' Coldplay fan. I've been a fan since Viva and really like what I'm hearing from this so far. Just because it has pop influences doesn't make it bad.

• Like 1

Can I ask why, though? I get the impression many people are going to hate it for no other reason than that Beyonce has a role in it. I mean, yeah, it's aiming to be a big hit but musically it sounds very nice.

There's no such thing as a 'real' Coldplay fan. I've been a fan since Viva and really like what I'm hearing from this so far. Just because it has pop influences doesn't make it bad.

I love it, to be honest it's one of my favorite parts from what we've heard. One reason is because it's hip hop. I grew up listening to hip hop before I found Coldplay. I don't mind Beyonce on it, she has a great voice plus she's hot! [emoji23] what's not to like? I think i'm one of the few here that has this song as a favorite.

I love it, to be honest it's one of my favorite parts from what we've heard. One reason is because it's hip hop. I grew up listening to hip hop before I found Coldplay. I don't mind Beyonce on it, she has a great voice plus she's hot! [emoji23] what's not to like? I think i'm one of the few here that has this song as a favorite.

AGREE 100%

I was disappointed when I heard the snippet. It felt like a R&B Beyonce song feat. Chris Martin. I don't dislike Beyonce's vocals, I believe she can sing well, but I don't like the style.

And what's with all this Princess Of China bashing. Yes, it had Rihanna, and yes it had a horrible music video, and yes the lyrics could have been better, and if you know me you know I'm a fierce Oldplayer, but Princess Of China was a good pop song. It stood out to me on the radio from othe pop songs BEFORE I knew what Coldplay was (as did Paradise), so imho that gives it some credit. Not sure whether HFTW will stand out though.

And what's with all this Princess Of China bashing. Yes, it had Rihanna, and yes it had a horrible music video, and yes the lyrics could have been better, and if you know me you know I'm a fierce Oldplayer, but Princess Of China was a good pop song. It stood out to me on the radio from othe pop songs BEFORE I knew what Coldplay was (as did Paradise), so imho that gives it some credit. Not sure whether HFTW will stand out though.[/quote']

Finally someone realizes this!!

I was disappointed when I heard the snippet. It felt like a R&B Beyonce song feat. Chris Martin. I don't dislike Beyonce's vocals, I believe she can sing well, but I don't like the style.

And what's with all this Princess Of China bashing. Yes, it had Rihanna, and yes it had a horrible music video, and yes the lyrics could have been better, and if you know me you know I'm a fierce Oldplayer, but Princess Of China was a good pop song. It stood out to me on the radio from othe pop songs BEFORE I knew what Coldplay was (as did Paradise), so imho that gives it some credit. Not sure whether HFTW will stand out though.

These are exactly my thoughts, though I suppose I may have gotten a little carried away when I completely bashed the snippet earlier. It is different, which I guess gives it some originality in comparison to Coldplay's other work, but... I simply don't like the style of music. Beyonce is not the problem, just like how I think POC needs Rihanna in order to connect with the themes of MX. The generic R&B hip-hop sound is what I dislike. I want to like HFTW, but the snippet basically represents everything I wished this band would never turn into. I'm thankful that the whole album is not like this.

If I have to compare this song to PoC, then so far I love this song way better. It's not like PoC is a bad song (the acoustic version is pretty good), but the instruments' sounds in the normal version is annoying and makes me want to turn down the volume, maybe bad production? HFTW (judging from the snippet) sounds more comfortable to listen to and the hook is smooth, so I don't have many complaints about it.

And yes, Coldplay doing RnB sounds fine to me. Sounds fresh from Coldplay's perspective

If I have to compare this song to PoC, then so far I love this song way better. It's not like PoC is a bad song (the acoustic version is pretty good), but the instruments' sounds in the normal version is annoying and makes me want to turn down the volume, maybe bad production? HFTW (judging from the snippet) sounds more comfortable to listen to and the hook is smooth, so I don't have many complaints about it.

And yes, Coldplay doing RnB sounds fine to me. Sounds fresh from Coldplay's perspective

My sister says PoC is her favourite Coldplay song.... She's 11

I agree. I can't wait to hear the full.

I am actually pretty excited for this song. I like it when Coldplay try new things, it's one of the main reasons I like the band so much. A hip hop song is something we haven't seen them do before. Princess of China was too poppy to be considered hip hop and Lost+ was just an existing Jay-Z verse slapped onto an extended version of Lost! so I won't count that either. Really excited to see if they're able to pull it off!

I am actually pretty excited for this song. I like it when Coldplay try new things, it's one of the main reasons I like the band so much. A hip hop song is something we haven't seen them do before. Princess of China was too poppy to be considered hip hop and Lost+ was just an existing Jay-Z verse slapped onto an extended version of Lost! so I won't count that either. Really excited to see if they're able to pull it off!

I didn't mean Jay-Z on Lost+. The album version Lost! itself has a strong hip hop drumbeat...

And for the record, is this HFTW snippet hip hop or RnB now ??

My sister says PoC is her favourite Coldplay song.... She's 11

She's relatively young, so I think I'm not really surprised. I'm sure many people say the same too. Kids these days get used to loud pop/electronic sound anyway.

So does she like the 'Oldplay' songs as well?