✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplayers, Oldplayers, Newplayers 'n all that factious stuff

Batman

Okay so

I actually wanted to post this in the Oldplayer thread, but then this kinda got ouf of control so I felt that I would like to address more people with this.

This post might be full of typos because I'm too tired to care.

I'm not very good with words so I try to somehow get my point through without sounding like a retard:

I've been observing this community for a while now, and there are always people who feel like they're on a fan forum that's filled with people that actually hate Coldplay.

You've got Oldplayers who love Coldplay's older stuff and hate everything past 2008, Newplayers who like their newer stuff and don't even know Coldplay's older stuff, and so on.

I see fans making jokes about the band, laughing at them, finding the blandness of the band ridiculous, while others defend them like they're family.

The internet is a very sarcastic, hostile and sneaky place. Negativity always stands out. Here are threads where people make fun of Chris's excentric use of "oooOOOhh"s and whatever else random crap they come up with. They do it because it's fun. They do it because sometimes, even if we don't like it, it's true.

Sometimes this forum feels like these dreaded Youtube comment sections were people are commenting a cat video, and in the next moment they have the most insane religious based discussions going on.

I see people starting to comment a new song, the next poster is reminded of an older album, the following user hate's that particularly album and then BAM, we have yet another encounter of negativity filling up a thread.

Guys, if you feel like everything good this band does doesn't shine through in this place, it does. It's just human nature to always pick out little things that annoy us.

And it's proven that we tend to remember bad things more than good things.

It's simple as that, that all of us, who regularly post here, are FANS. We, to some degree, LIKE the band. If we'd hate them, we wouldn't post here. If we'd hate them, we would write some really NASTY things. A lot of young users are browsing here, and maybe you don't know a lot of other forums, but trust me, this place is nice. People don't tell you to kill yourself when you don't agree with them.

We are people with opinions and logical reasoning, some of us are older, or younger, some of us have a very twisted sense of humor, and find it funny if they can offend other people. But you should always remember, this is the internet, this is a place with a huuuge amount of doors where everybody from every part of the world from every possible upbringing comes in and says what they think.

Don't take things being said on here to the heart. If people don't agree with you, that's fine. If you think people talk shit about the band, it's fine. They have an opinion. If you feel people are talking a lot of shit recently, that's true because they are. They are doing so because a new album comes out. It's always been like that. They do it because they find things they don't like and try to make sense of them...

or not, if you remember the glorious literarily treasure that is the GHOST STORIES NUTELLA thread.

If we'd all love the band and embrace everything they'd do, we wouldn't have anything to discuss, how boring! If we didn't have snarky people pointing out really obviously bad lyrics of certain songs, who else would? We need negativity, we need random comments, and yes, we even need these insane fangirly threads were you get attacked if you don't like Chris's eyebrows.

My advice to you is to take everything said on here with a pinch of salt. I used to be majorly pissed off at people who didn't like the band. Like, REALLY pissed off. Now I'm just like

tumblr_nt6zhtmPv61rv7596o1_500.gif

Take a chill pill, leave a thread, drink some water, and then come back and don't try to force your opinion onto others.

Now do whatever the hell you want to do and enjoy your day alright :wacky:

tl;dr: don't be f'cking lazy and read what I've written.

• Like 9

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:clap::clap::clap: Thalia.. I read it all & you are indeed very good with words. thank you for taking the time to write & I hope your words will help everyone feeling out of place because they have different opinions about something..

off-topic:

btw, I love your new avatar :lol: it is brilliant..it accurately represents how I feel about this era :laugh3:

:clap::clap::clap: Thalia.. I read it all & you are indeed very good with words. thank you for taking the time to write & I hope your words will help everyone feeling out of place because they have different opinions about something..

off-topic:

btw, I love your new avatar :lol: it is brilliant..it accurately represents how I feel about this era :laugh3:

Thanks a lot. I'm already struggling in my first language to explain things, let alone in English omg. I'm just worried about the younger fans who would like to share their enthusiam (like I did when I was younger) and they feel frustrated because you have so many sarcastic 'tards around here <__<

hA thanks! lil' mean batman is mean

Explanations like this shouldn't even be needed in a community like this, but I'm glad that Thalia spent her time to do that. Freedom isn't always peaceful, but everybody have to respect what the other ones are saying.

In the end we are all here for the same main reason: we love this 4 (5 if you count Phil) guys and they did for us (in a recent past or still today depending on what you think of their recent outputs), so please be kind and respectful and enjoy your permanence in here.

I'm still a new entry as a user, but I really enjoy to talk to people from other countries about music, that it's one of the thing I like most about life (and, I'm sure, everybody round here agree with me), I had the opportunity to discover great things and I hope that someone discovered something interesting in what I posted here. Happiness is real only when shared.

Now I go back talking peacefully with...

NEWPLAYERS :saw: :saw: :saw:

Only joking :)

Posted this on the Everglow thread, though it would be relevant here too.

You're more likely to see praise on social networks like Reddit than you are on an internet forum. Same thing happens with Sports too. Go to a team's forum and most it will be moaning. It's more to do with expectation than anything else and I guess fans who use forums are more likely to have higher expectations.

We all make our own concepts of how we prefer music to sound like. It is what it is.

Explanations like this shouldn't even be needed in a community like this, but I'm glad that Thalia spent her time to do that. Freedom isn't always peaceful, but everybody have to respect what the other ones are saying.

In the end we are all here for the same main reason: we love this 4 (5 if you count Phil) guys and they did for us (in a recent past or still today depending on what you think of their recent outputs), so please be kind and respectful and enjoy your permanence in here.

I'm still a new entry as a user, but I really enjoy to talk to people from other countries about music, that it's one of the thing I like most about life (and, I'm sure, everybody round here agree with me), I had the opportunity to discover great things and I hope that someone discovered something interesting in what I posted here. Happiness is real only when shared.

Now I go back talking peacefully with...

:nod:

We all make our own concepts of how we prefer music to sound like. It is what it is.
I think this is my favourite post so far. I shall shove it into every aggressor's face from now on :wacky:

@Batman - you forgot Goldplayers and Allplayers.... That makes a C-O-N-G-A(line), which is what we all are... A varied random mix of people all lined up in one place, thrown together by the one thing we are here for... It really is like attending a wedding- there are people you love and look forward to seeing, people who do things that make you :facepalm:, relatives you can't avoid, together with all the associated emotions that come with it!

@Batman - you forgot Goldplayers and Allplayers.... That makes a C-O-N-G-A(line), which is what we all are... A varied random mix of people all lined up in one place, thrown together by the one thing we are here for... It really is like attending a wedding- there are people you love and look forward to seeing, people who do things that make you :facepalm:, relatives you can't avoid, together with all the associated emotions that come with it!

And in the end, they are all there for the cake.

Well said, Batman.;)

I've been here for a while although I don't post to much (my English is awful and laughable) but I personally thinks this place is awesome and I really enjoy see the others opinions about a song even If I don't agreed with them. It's fun. It's fun to read healthy discussions too. This community is great I really think Coldplay have one of the best "fan bases".

Well said Batman. It's true about Coldplay that there is much difference between their albums. I myself like that fact that they experiment. But I also get the 'Oldplayers' or whoever who is here. My roommate and I are always arguing about the albums and songs who come out. It's fun, it would be boring if you just agree. There wouldn't be a subject to talk about anymore. I also think that the fan base of Coldplay is one of the most diverse ones and full of great people. Although I don't spend much time here to post, I always come back to read threads. Especially around new releases :D

Well said Batman. It's true about Coldplay that there is much difference between their albums. I myself like that fact that they experiment. But I also get the 'Oldplayers' or whoever who is here. My roommate and I are always arguing about the albums and songs who come out. It's fun, it would be boring if you just agree. There wouldn't be a subject to talk about anymore. I also think that the fan base of Coldplay is one of the most diverse ones and full of great people. Although I don't spend much time here to post, I always come back to read threats. Especially around new releases :D

haha you said threats. I hope you meant threads lol

OMG Thalia I almost wrote a similarly long post in the Oldplayers thread but managed to contain myself. :shame:

FUCK THIS FUCKING BAND FOR CHANGING SO DRASTICALLY!!! :veryangry2:

But honestly, when I think about it, I'm not even aware that I subconsciously think of this band as a completely different one. As if they died after X&Y and emerged as gloriously fabulous phoenixes that are inferior to their previous selves but still have a will to live. I understand the divide between fans, it would have almost been easier if they disbanded and formed a new band.

This thread reminds me something I wrote when there was an intense discussion in the Amazing Day thread.

"Life has a crazy beautiful design"

Amazing day for me sums up what we live. We have had different experiences that makes us what we are. Our families, friends, colleagues, classmates or even people we met occasionally are part of how we see the world. Also, we have have travelled to places where we see the beauty of whatever is around us.

For me life isn't perfect. But, I believe we should be thankful for what we have. God, the universe, our parents, our families, who ever you want to thank for.

Sorry for this essay. But, it's just to stay we are human beings who have our own believes. In a certain way, what we think is the correct answer to the questions we have. It won't be true until is stated on a book with the support of so many other people. So, just relax and enjoy what you want to enjoy. Don't try to change the point of view of others if you don't have a valid argument. And don't try to say what you think is right just because you think so. Be tolerant with what other fans think. Be respectful even when you're on the other side of the computer. Let's all have an amazing day in a forum where we share our love and thoughts about a band that has the ability to make incredible songs in any kind of genre."

• Like 1

What Batman said is right. Of course, since the band spans two really different musical genres, it is not difficult to perceive why there is a divide among fans. I believe that negative and positive opinions are both needed and if we didn't have these discussions, what do we have a forum for ? As long as everything stays on a polite level and discussions are about the opinions, not directed against the persons behind these opinions.

Also, why do many of us have so many negative opinions on Coldplay's newer work ? Because we have the highest expectations based on their earlier work. If we hated the band, we would have low expectations and not really care about their output. But we do, and that's a very healthy sign.

You're bound to get that with such a radical shift in sound.

It's getting to the stage now where the "experimental" pop phase is no longer a phase. It's going to make up a large majority of their discography.

To me Coldplay are the first 3 albums, that's what I was raised on. That is what Coldplay is to me, so when someone tries to tell me that Mylo Xyloto defines Coldplay, or ASFOS is their best song, there's bound to be a conflict there.

You're bound to get that with such a radical shift in sound.

It's getting to the stage now where the "experimental" pop phase is no longer a phase. It's going to make up a large majority of their discography.

To me Coldplay are the first 3 albums, that's what I was raised on. That is what Coldplay is to me, so when someone tries to tell me that Mylo Xyloto defines Coldplay, or ASFOS is their best song, there's bound to be a conflict there.

I´ve known Coldplay since Yellow of course, loved Clocks and all Rush of Blood but still was not a fan fan, then really got into them from X&Y and been a super fan ever since. They shifted sound in practically every release, so its something I kinda got used to from early on. I mean even Parachutes is radically different from A Rush in many ways.

I think what a lot of people dont "dig" is the pop sound, because its deemed too commercial. I was kinda skeptic in the beginning but I came to agree with Chris when he says a good song is a good song, no matter the genre. I´ve absolutely loved all their latest releases, probably more than the old ones but not because they are better, but because they are more joyous and I am more in tune with that in the latest years of my life as well :)

I am not sure Coldplay ever wanted to be defined in one genre only...thats probably the reason behind their journey to break free of the "genre shackles". And Ill say this: I believe they will keep changing, thats how they keep it fresh and hungry after all :)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
What Batman said is right. Of course, since the band spans two really different musical genres, it is not difficult to perceive why there is a divide among fans. I believe that negative and positive opinions are both needed and if we didn't have these discussions, what do we have a forum for ? As long as everything stays on a polite level and discussions are about the opinions, not directed against the persons behind these opinions.

Also, why do many of us have so many negative opinions on Coldplay's newer work ? Because we have the highest expectations based on their earlier work. If we hated the band, we would have low expectations and not really care about their output. But we do, and that's a very healthy sign.

The divide is truly justified I agree with you! However the "healthy discussions" you mention are rarely to be found here...Most of it is the same sentences uttered again and again about how for example the new stuff is disappointing and bad. We in fact have and have had here many a discussions about production, sounds, lyrics and whatnot and that is healthy and great and also what we have forums for imo (the other reason being the general sharing of our passion for the band ), but often its been just spiteful comments about the band and their work, with no other intent than to just slamming them. Of course its everyone´s right to post what they want absolutely, but I would not conclude that those kind of posts are healthy or lead to anything constructive in the community.

• Like 1