✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kaleidoscope EP

guy42

I'm not asking anyone to answer this question but why are you so pessimistic about this? You're basically saying you don't like it before you've even heard it! You're just setting yourself up to automatically dislike the EP as soon as you've heard it. Just give it a chance!

• Like 1

Why do feel like i'm the only person who likes the ENTIRE Coldplay discography? I know it's probably not true but maybe it's just on the forums or the subreddit but everyone has that one album they don't like, and it's usually one of the last 3. I can't wait for this EP and I know the guys will not disappoint.

• Like 7

Why do feel like i'm the only person who likes the ENTIRE Coldplay discography? I know it's probably not true but maybe it's just on the forums or the subreddit but everyone has that one album they don't like, and it's usually one of the last 3. I can't wait for this EP and I know the guys will not disappoint.

Nah I like all of their albums but some I like a little more than the others. Like I don't hate any of them and will more than happily listen to all of them but I tend to just lean towards listening to some of their albums more than others.

Nah I like all of their albums but some I like a little more than the others. Like I don't hate any of them and will more than happily listen to all of them but I tend to just lean towards listening to some of their albums more than others.

oh of course, same here. I just meant that everyone is an enjoyable listen for me

Hey, it's good that someone likes all of them! I wish I was like that--would make my life easier LOL

I'm one of the ones who loves the first four and is sort of lukewarm towards everything from MX on, with MX being the only one I can actually say I dislike. It has the best lyrics of these last three and still carries some of that "Oldplay" vibe, but it just seems kind of flat and boring to me. Maybe it's the mixing? Maybe because it had to follow up my favorite album of all time? I'll skip over songs on GS and AHFoD but with MX it's usually a thing of listening to two or three and that's it, idk.

-----

Anyway, not to turn this back into an Oldplay debate . . . whatever we get with Kaleidoscope, I hope the guys bring back a dark song or two. AHFoD was the first album I feel like we didn't get a single one from :(

• Like 1

oh of course, same here. I just meant that everyone is an enjoyable listen for me

I'd say the same for myself as far as liking all the albums. There are a few songs I'm not that over the moon about. But I mean that genuinely and not as a gentle euphemism. I'm just not over the moon about them. I don't think there are any songs I really definitively dislike and the vast majority are somewhere on the spectrum of like to love. But I find all the albums enjoyable. That said, I certainly do like some more than others, and there's an unavoidable (but not uncrossable as far as individual songs) line chronologically for me. But that's not the same as disliking one or disliking newer stuff. And honestly, for me to say something isn't as special as the first three isn't exactly a horrible slight. I have those on a pedestal so high it's almost silly. I guess if I'm honest my first impression of MX was that I wasn't that fond of it, though it was more that it wasn't the right album at the right time, and (I say this knowing how self-involved it is) it was the first time they released an album that didn't feel like it was tailor-made just for me. Over time I don't really feel that way about it though, because I've learned to appreciate albums differently, I guess? I'm glad I have a band that over 16 years I like all their albums, even if I don't like them all equally; I think that in itself I'm pretty lucky.

Anyway, not to turn this back into an Oldplay debate . . . whatever we get with Kaleidoscope, I hope the guys bring back a dark song or two. AHFoD was the first album I feel like we didn't get a single one from :(

I literally had that thought about half an hour ago and felt like such a miseryguts. I don't really think a miserable song would have fit on AHFOD, and I tend to think of it and GS as a sort of continuum where GS was the boat for all the sad stuff. But I kind of want a dark song. Doesn't necessary have to be a downer. Just more dark. I'm not expecting it thought since I'm guessing KEP will be more like a second helping of AHFOD.

• Like 1

Guest diogo_sg

You're not alone [emoji6]

I'm not asking anyone to answer this question but why are you so pessimistic about this? You're basically saying you don't like it before you've even heard it! You're just setting yourself up to automatically dislike the EP as soon as you've heard it. Just give it a chance!

This ^

I also feel we should all keep realistic expectations for this EP. First, it definitely won't have the new Chainsmokers track, or, if it does, it will be a Coldplay re-worked version, like several members here have been pointing out. I think this is quite likely to happen, as I don't see the whole band featuring on this song in the first place if they didn't have something larger in mind.

Now, as for the EP as a whole, it's Coldplay we're talking about so they're always very coherent. "KEP" belongs to the AHFOD era, therefore it will sound like an attachment, an extension to AHFOD, like Prospekt's March was to VLVorDAAHF.

So, if you didn't like AHFOD at all, you most likely won't enjoy most of the EP. If you did love AHFOD, you're likely to love KEP as well.

If you want a different style, wait for LP8 and don't act extremely surprised and disappointed when the EP comes out, please.

• Like 2

I literally had that thought about half an hour ago and felt like such a miseryguts. I don't really think a miserable song would have fit on AHFOD, and I tend to think of it and GS as a sort of continuum where GS was the boat for all the sad stuff. But I kind of want a dark song. Doesn't necessary have to be a downer. Just more dark. I'm not expecting it thought since I'm guessing KEP will be more like a second helping of AHFOD.

Yeah, I don't even necessarily mean "dark" as in "depressing," like say The Scientist or something. Just a song that's a little rougher instrument-wise would be perfect, a la Major Minus, Violet Hill, 1.36, etc.

A dark atmosphere, if you will.

I think the logic behind it is, if you have low expectations you won't be as disappointed if it turns out what you thought, but you'll be more pleased if it's good than if you had high expectations. BTW I am not one of the people having less expectations although I use this logic for other things in life

Well your not alone lol as if there weren't enough people that have said this already after you mentioned it.. seems like a lot more people like the overall discography then both me and you thought

This ^

I also feel we should all keep realistic expectations for this EP. First, it definitely won't have the new Chainsmokers track, or, if it does, it will be a Coldplay re-worked version, like several members here have been pointing out. I think this is quite likely to happen, as I don't see the whole band featuring on this song in the first place if they didn't have something larger in mind.

Now, as for the EP as a whole, it's Coldplay we're talking about so they're always very coherent. "KEP" belongs to the AHFOD era, therefore it will sound like an attachment, an extension to AHFOD, like Prospekt's March was to VLVorDAAHF.

So, if you didn't like AHFOD at all, you most likely won't enjoy most of the EP. If you did love AHFOD, you're likely to love KEP as well.

If you want a different style, wait for LP8 and don't act extremely surprised and disappointed when the EP comes out, please.

Keep in mind PM wasn't released too long after VLVODAAHF and we still seen a hint of few new things, KEP is releasing over a year after AHFOD came out so they're is bound to be at least new influences even if it isn't a completely different style yet

But generally I do agree with you

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Coldplaying mobile app

I hope the guys bring back a dark song or two. AHFoD was the first album I feel like we didn't get a single one from :(

add depth and how good would that be? well, one song with real depth would do it for me. we've had too much saccharin (even disguised as bitter) lately from the band. another ghost story/midnight equivalent of the ahfod era is what i'm hoping for.

• Like 5

Yeah, I don't even necessarily mean "dark" as in "depressing," like say The Scientist or something. Just a song that's a little rougher instrument-wise would be perfect, a la Major Minus, Violet Hill, 1.36, etc.

A dark atmosphere, if you will.

I think I know what you mean, I just didn't phrase it well ... But yeah, just something atmosphericly weightier. Maybe I would say angsty, sonically. I'm not terribly good at describing musical characteristics, but I think we're on the same page haha.

I think I know what you mean, I just didn't phrase it well ... But yeah, just something atmosphericly weightier. Maybe I would say angsty, sonically. I'm not terribly good at describing musical characteristics, but I think we're on the same page haha.

You're good, haha, I know what you mean :P

Heck, at this point I would love a stereotypically angsty Coldplay song :joy:

• Like 3

The thing about Coldplay--what keeps us coming back--is how they surprise you as a fan, regardless of what you like. After MX, which I overall loved, I was pretty worried Coldplay would fall off the deep end and follow Maroon 5. But then they dropped Midnight, a dark atmospheric gorgeous song, and then Magic, a sexy indie-pop tune with great production. Then us Oldplayer's got Oceans and O. But that came with.....ASFOS.....and then Miracles, a great tune tainted with bad production.

So I didn't have a ton of hope for AHFOD, but then I really enjoyed AOAL, Birds and Up&Up....but then HFTW.....

Fast forward and we are excited and speculating on a alternative EP, but then they start off their 2017 with a Chainsmokers collab.

The point I am trying to make is Coldplay is crazy unpredictable. They followed X&Y's somewhat generic and mopey space rock with a baroque pop/shoegaze album for heaven's sake.

We have no idea what the EP will sound like, other than it will share some characteristics of AHFOD. The whole thing could be produced by Avicii, Stargate, Chainsmokers, and Timbaland for all we know. But it also might bring back Brian Eno or Jon Hopkins and feature Arcade Fire and Jack White.

No mega-band like Coldplay has ever been more divisive and unpredictable with their direction. I bet we'll be getting a KEP announcement in the coming weeks, maybe a single, riding the coattails of SJLT. Maybe one day we'll look back at 2017 as the year Coldplay fully commits to mainstream pop music with nothing dark, alternative, or brooding ever again. Or maybe it will be quite the opposite.

• Like 8

i feel like this might have also been a response to the tweets he got about an earlier post where he asked what people thought of the "New Coldplay Direction" :p

Haha, yes, that was also my thought.

I gave him my opinion too. [emoji16]

• Like 1

i feel like this might have also been a response to the tweets he got about an earlier post where he asked what people thought of the "New Coldplay Direction" :p

It definitely was but still good to know he likes the "old Coldplay", too.

After all, it was during the Glasto 2005 performance that he reportedly got the Xyloband idea. :)

• Like 3

Mentioning the dark songs, I really miss those too. However, as someone else mentioned I do think GS and AHFOD were kind of meant to be viewed in the same boat, with GS having more of the dark songs and AHFOD being almost all bright and happy, with the other moments being melancholic (Everglow and Fun) but not necessarily being "dark". I don't think we should get too worried, after all AHFOD came less than 2 years after GS and for the two eras before this there have been dark songs off album (Moving to Mars... I'm not quite sure lyrically but the instrumental sounds pretty dark. Atlas, Ghost Story, All Your Friends maybe? War themed). So there is definitely still hope. It won't be too much longer before we get to hear what they've done.

• Like 1

Hi guys, I'm with those who think this will be an extension to AHFOD. It doesn't make sense for it to be anything else, since it's an EP. I'm sure there won't be a general change of direction for now.

Yeah I agree but as the others have said it has been a little bit of time since AHFOD was released so maybe it'll be a little different. Not vastly but idk I'm curious to see what'll happen

• Like 2