✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

stephen

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

This poll is closed to new votes

So pretty much LP9 is the big, poppy touring album (AHFOD) and EL is the smaller, experimental project (Ghost Stories).

Deja vu anyone?

Would be funny if they do albums like this back and forth now (experimental first, stadium pop stuff second, and back etc.).

• Like 1

Regarding the name similarities between Aiko and Eko @TomRiver, @yoyo2000 has a really good explanation. I was gonna chime in and say that Aiko was actually a reprise, but yoyo is right in saying that there was legtimately an unreleased song named Aiko, that probably sounds nothing like the Aiko most of the fanbase is used to. The track lengths are probably mere coincidence if this were to be the case, as TomRiver was obviously referring to the popular version of Aiko. There is a small chance that Eko is a remade version of the original Aiko, and an even slimmer chance that the length was kept, which would also mean the original Aiko is around as long as the Aiko we know, coincidentally or not. Another possibility is that Eko is a remade version of the Aiko we know, which I highly doubt as it's an officially released reprise. Inspired maybe, perhaps to poke some fun at the fanbase. If this turns out I'll be very surprised and we may never know what their motives were. Hell, maybe the unreleased Aiko shares some musical similarities to the reprise which would make the above more likely. It's unlikely but maybe Aiko was made to be a reprise and the Aiko we know and the "first" Aiko are the same, or that Aiko came first and it evolved, and Aiko was released later as a "reprise". I think they were Jon Hopkins reprises though, so the similarities would probably go no further than him being inspired by the original Aiko at best if it did have that melodic motif, and in all likelihood some doofus probably uploaded the JH reprise of Aiko to YT and slapped "Aiko" on it as it related to that era.

I've always thought that the track popularly know as Aiko was the original Aiko, perhaps remixed by Jon Hopkins, and that the original version became the bridge of Major Minus.

But then again... maybe I'm wrong and it's just a reprise/remix of that section from Major Minus that was done specifically for the part in Live 2012 where Will talks after Princess of China. The Wikipedia page for Live 2012 just calls the track "Major Minus"; maybe when I finally rewatch Live 2012 like I've been wanting to, I can take a better look at the end credits to see if they mention the name "Aiko" or if the piece is just called something like "Major Minus (Reprise)."

• Like 1

I've always thought that the track popularly know as Aiko was the original Aiko, perhaps remixed by Jon Hopkins, and that the original version became the bridge of Major Minus.

But then again... maybe I'm wrong and it's just a reprise/remix of that section from Major Minus that was done specifically for the part in Live 2012 where Will talks after Princess of China. The Wikipedia page for Live 2012 just calls the track "Major Minus"; maybe when I finally rewatch Live 2012 like I've been wanting to, I can take a better look at the end credits to see if they mention the name "Aiko" or if the piece is just called something like "Major Minus (Reprise)."

I have heard this many times and I yet to hear it. Is it suppose to be mimicking Jonny's riff after the chorus?

• Like 1

So I just watched a 3 min interview clip of Chris on YouTube in which it’s briefly mentioned that the band won’t be touring this album. I’d missed that fact. Sad! Are we thinking pretty much no concerts?

There is that album release day show in Jordan, and supposedly they are doing an intimate show for Radio 1 like they normally do for each new era. They are confirmed to be performing at the Global Citizen Festival later on next year. But apart from these shows? Gosh, I think if we get anything at all it'll just be a few shows in smaller venues here and there like they did for Ghost Stories. Maybe a random summertime festival, kind of like how they played at Radio 1's Big Weekend in 2014.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

BTW, I totally concur with the deja vu argument and it worries me.

Even on the radio.com interview, Chris is basically repeating his speech for the Ghost Stories era. Insecurity, people’s opinions against the band and that he no longer cares.

He even said "it's a very personal album" or something like that...that totally make me think of GS

• Like 3

He even said "it's a very personal album" or something like that...that totally make me think of GS

Yes, he said they were not doing very much talking or touring for this album. He said it was a very personal album and the songs were 'unfiltered', 'totally raw' and 'pure' and that he didn't want to explain or defend them. People should just take them 'as what they are'.

This is a bit like what he said for Ghost Stories, but it is different, though. It seems as if they didn't work much on the songs but recorded them straight away without practising much and with all their imperfections. The songs on Ghost Stories, however, were fully formed and flashed out when they released them.

Chris has said on repeat that the songs on EL were very personal. I wonder what happened in his personal life to make him look so tired and sad. He seems no longer full of energy as he used to be.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Anyone who is worried about band not touring EL, I don't think that'll be the case. I'm sure we'll see a few concerts but definitely not arenas this time.

It might be something a bit more grounded.

The album sounds like it's infused with Global Citizen-ship. It seems it has affected Chris' writing as much as anything else (love!).

• Like 2

I somehow recall that Debs (the Oracle) once confirmed the track popularly presumed to be Aiko from Live 2012 is NOT Aiko...

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

I think by personal he means it's his/their personal view on the (frankly depressing and at times hopeless, infuriating) state of the world.

But I couldn't help noticing either that he looks VERY old and exhausted in the recent appearances. His face looks quite haggard at times. I know he isn't getting any younger, but I have to admit he often looks way older than 42 at the moment.

• Like 4

Holy shit, this is so beautiful ! Unfortunately the gold Version is not available in my place, I think.

[MEDIA=instagram]B4ni8a3HKYq[/MEDIA]

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/B4ni8a3HKYq/

[MEDIA=instagram]B4njDqYnYXj[/MEDIA]

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/B4njDqYnYXj/

[MEDIA=instagram]B4niuJVnP0v[/MEDIA]

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/B4niuJVnP0v/

• Like 5
  • Wow 3

But I couldn't help noticing either that he looks VERY old and exhausted in the recent appearances. His face looks quite haggard at times. I know he isn't getting any younger, but I have to admit he often looks way older than 42 at the moment.

Yes, and that's probably the main reason why they don't tour this album. Chris doesn't look as if he would be able to go on tour. But I could well imagine Jonny, Will and Guy going on tour. They seem much more energetic than Chris at the moment. I hope he will be able to get through those two concerts in Jordan.

• Like 4

Ramble incoming addressing recent interviews:

Agree with the GS/AHFOD comparison for potential LP8/LP9 comparison. Makes me somewhat worried for whatever's next. AHFOD is my least fave Coldplay album, but I think part of that is the production by Stargate and some of the songwriting (Fun, XMTS), not the timing. So maybe LP9 will slap and it's dumb to worry?

Overall though, I feel there's this constant see-saw between "We just want to release whatever we're feeling and don't care about what others think," and "We just want to release whatever we're feeling and some people didn't like our last thing so...." Like Chris referencing people not liking the superbowl performance is the same mentality the band had post X&Y: "We want to be the world's best band, not the biggest." For what it's worth, I loved the performance and it's focus on inclusivity and color.

So Chris might say he doesn't care about what people think, but that's clearly not true. He'll say "it's very personal" but I'm sorry, Ghost Stories is one of the most impersonal break up albums ever. The lyrics on the Everyday Life track are as generalized as possible. The reason some people hate Chris is because his lyrics can come off as, well, like the thoughts of a 7th grader just figuring out heartbreak or that war is bad. I still love this music, but (most) Coldplay songs are extremely accessible and broad. So when Chris doesn't answer questions during interviews or says "we're not going to promote this" or "its very personal and different sounding," I am skeptical/frustrated. I hope EL proves me wrong and actually digs deeper. For every Guns, there's a Princess of China though....

• Like 6

@"lennyrott1

I fully agree.

Of course Chris (and probably also the rest of the band) care about what people think of their music. They definitely want the audience to love their songs. If they didn't care at all, they wouldn't even release any music, but play together behind closed doors. They want to please at least those who like their music, but they are still upset about those who critizise them. Chris still seems to be very sensitive to the - as I think unfair - criticism they received for their Superbowl performance, otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned it.

But I don't worry as much as you about LP9 (we don't even know for sure whether they have planned another album after EL).I quite like most of their 'poppy' songs.

• Like 6

So Chris might say he doesn't care about what people think, but that's clearly not true. He'll say "it's very personal" but I'm sorry, Ghost Stories is one of the most impersonal break up albums ever. The lyrics on the Everyday Life track are as generalized as possible. The reason some people hate Chris is because his lyrics can come off as, well, like the thoughts of a 7th grader just figuring out heartbreak or that war is bad. I still love this music, but (most) Coldplay songs are extremely accessible and broad. So when Chris doesn't answer questions during interviews or says "we're not going to promote this" or "its very personal and different sounding," I am skeptical/frustrated. I hope EL proves me wrong and actually digs deeper. For every Guns, there's a Princess of China though....

I agree about Ghost Stories. It comes off as if they had no time to make the songs better and they just threw together something hurriedly. I like the lyrics of Everyday Life. It's not going to floor you but it's pretty emotional, to say the least. Yes, the music is better than the lyrics on this track but hey, there are definitely Coldplay songs like that. It's probably the weakest lyrically of the three and a piece of songs we've heard. I think the violins add weight to it, though.

• Like 3

I think by personal he means it's his/their personal view on the (frankly depressing and at times hopeless, infuriating) state of the world.

It’s the haircut.

• Like 3

who is being negative

My ramble was somewhat negative, and for that I apologize. Maybe it's the angst of knowing we have 2 long weeks before the album drops, maybe it's just the inherent cynicism of an Oldplayer.

Despite some of my harsh words, I really am stoked about this new era and have my hopes up higher than anything since Viva. And the fact that we could be getting LP9 in 2020 is reason for even more excitement.

• Like 1