✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

stephen

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

This poll is closed to new votes

Hm, I'm afraid in my ears it does not bode well for the quality LP9

I agree, those 'poppy' songs are not always their best songs. But if they want to tour an album, they have to include some songs with popular tunes, especially as they love when the audience is singing along with them.

Most of us here tend to think that songs which appeal to a large audience are 'bad'. Would this mean the more people like a song the worse it is? Certainly not. The word 'popular' derives from the word 'people' and you can't say people per se have a bad taste. Great bands like The Beatles were and still are liked by the vast majority of audiences and at the same time get critical acclaim.

Also a sing-along song can be a good song, at least 'good' in the sense that it makes peope happy.

I must admit I quite like some of their songs from AHFOD, especially if I just want to relax and get into a happy mood.

Besides, Stargate for many people here seems to be a synonym for bad music. But all four members of the band love Stargate. They have all said so in different interviews, not only Chris.

So if LP9 contains some songs along the line of 'Orphans', we just have to accept it as the music Coldplay likes.

In any case, LP9 won't be a copy of AHFOD, the band seems to have really developed and incorporated many new aspects of music into their songs.

I am looking forward to both, LP8 and LP9.

• Like 14

I feel like of course, the one album (thus far, since MX) that I'd want to hear live is the won't they don't plan on touring for. It also makes me think that they are definitely working on another album, otherwise they would be more likely to support Everyday Life with a tour.

I was adamant about Timbaland not working on this album but I'm not so sure about the next one. On his twitter he mentions working with music he hasn't before and learning a lot. He also mentions recording in Malibu. Take that as you will.

• Like 6

I feel like of course, the one album (thus far, since MX) that I'd want to hear live is the won't they don't plan on touring for. It also makes me think that they are definitely working on another album, otherwise they would be more likely to support Everyday Life with a tour.

I was adamant about Timbaland not working on this album but I'm not so sure about the next one. On his twitter he mentions working with music he hasn't before and learning a lot. He also mentions recording in Malibu. Take that as you will.

To be fair, Timbaland did production on Everyday Life (the track) and apart from the guitar being too low in the mix the production of this song is great.

• Like 3

Most of us here tend to think that songs which appeal to a large audience are 'bad'. Would this mean the more people like a song the worse it is? Certainly not. The word 'popular' derives from the word 'people' and you can't say people per se have a bad taste. Great bands like The Beatles were and still are liked by the vast majority of audiences and at the same time get critical acclaim.

Also a sing-along song can be a good song, at least 'good' in the sense that it makes peope happy.

I'm not saying that per se. Viva La Vida for example is a great song and very popular and has a sing-along.

I guess it all comes down to taste. Orphans just didn't strike me as a great song or a particular noteworthy instrumental. And the woo-woos keep getting more and more out of place in Coldplay Songs as the years pass, imho.

• Like 2

I agree, those 'poppy' songs are not always their best songs. But if they want to tour an album, they have to include some songs with popular tunes, especially as they love when the audience is singing along with them.

I must admit I quite like some of their songs from AHFOD, especially if I just want to relax and get into a happy mood.

Besides, Stargate for many people here seems to be a synonym for bad music. But all four members of the band love Stargate. They have all said so in different interviews, not only Chris.

So if LP9 contains some songs along the line of 'Orphans', we just have to accept it as the music Coldplay likes.

In any case, LP9 won't be a copy of AHFOD, the band seems to have really developed and incorporated many new aspects of music into their songs.

I am looking forward to both, LP8 and LP9.

You said it best

https://www.radio.com/music/alternative/chris-martin-of-coldplay-on-the-meaning-behind-orphans

LP9 Basically confirmed. He says it was being saved for "just something else," and smiles. Then he goes on to say "I was saving it for the next thing we're doing."

That dang daily star article was right...

Funny, because Clocks was the same way. Thet wrote it at the very end of the recording sessions for AROBTTH and Phil ended up being the one who convinced the band to finish it rather than shelve it for a couple years.

Anyways, I really like this new interview...

“Some fear left me at that point,” he (Chris) adds on overcoming that fear of rejection he has previously held. “Just be the best thing you could possibly be and don’t worry about what anyone thinks because you cannot please everybody.”

If this means songs like Arabesque as well as more pop-oriented music like AHFOD, I'm fine with that. I'm an Oldplayer at heart who dreams of Viva Part 2 but ultimately, overcoming that fear of disappointing people is important. At this point, with the band's current mindset, it's probably only Parlophone who can stop them from creating a certain type of music.

• Like 3

To be fair, Timbaland did production on Everyday Life (the track) and apart from the guitar being too low in the mix the production of this song is great.

That's one of the worst things they can do! That said, it's not bad overall, I'll agree. But I don't need that in my life. Definitely prefer the mix of Arabesque.

Does someone have the full interview Chris did with Radio.com today ? I'd love to listen to it but whenever I try to access the Website it's down. Would appreciate if someone could share it thanks ! Cause apparently Chris said something about Oprhans having supposed to have been on LP9. I would like to hear the direct quote...

I found two excerpts of this interview here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4lEKzNB-iR/

One contains a Spanish translation of the main points but not a direct quote of that part. Chris obviously says that 'Orphans' was a voice memo which he kept for a future project. It might mean that LP8 was that future prospect, so it won't find its way on to LP9. He also seems to have said that 'Orphans' is the main single of the new album.

But this is what I understood from the Spanish text. It may be wrong. :blush:

• Like 2

That's one of the worst things they can do! That said, it's not bad overall, I'll agree. But I don't need that in my life. Definitely prefer the mix of Arabesque.

I agree but what I meant was, at first I was worried when I heard about the producers but in the end the worries were unfounded.

• Like 1

Btw I just googled èko and it's a kind of food...and guess from where. Yes, from Lagos, Nigeria (where they will probably perform for Global Goal)

https://www.naijachef.com/recipe/eko-agidi/

Actually, Èkó is the name of the city, Lagos, in Yoruba language (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos).

Maybe the song has to do something with the city, like Timbuktu.

(I don't know if this was mentioned before, sorry if that's the case)

Edit: spelling

• Like 4

I'd expect Timbaland's contribution to just be more like his production on True Love or OneRepublic's Apologize. Not that I dislike True Love, in fact that song has really grown on me... I just think it's odd that he'd work on a sweet ballad. I'd sooner expect to hear he worked on Orphans than Everyday Life.

I don't necessarily trust a tabloid site like Entertainment Weekly, but this is an interesting tidbit from 2007. Imagine VLVODAAHF with Timbaland. : unamused:

https://ew.com/article/2007/02/07/coldplay-considering-collaboration-timbaland/

• Wow 2

I'd expect Timbaland's contribution to just be more like his production on True Love or OneRepublic's Apologize. Not that I dislike True Love, in fact that song has really grown on me... I just think it's odd that he'd work on a sweet ballad. I'd sooner expect to hear he worked on Orphans than Everyday Life.

I don't necessarily trust a tabloid site like Entertainment Weekly, but this is an interesting tidbit from 2007. Imagine VLVODAAHF with Timbaland. : unamused:

The thing is both True Love and Apologize have a nice dance-inspired beat going on. Everyday Life doesn't have that, but I suppose Timbaland gave Will's drums the unique timbre (or rather, Timba) that they have.

Also, can we talk about how it seems that too many bands seem to be bringing in Timbaland just to add basic dance vibes to a song? I'd hate for people to only think of Timbaland in those contexts rather than the groundbreaking production he did for Missy Elliot and Aaliyah.

• Like 3

Interesting article. I had no idea that Chris's vocals on All Good Things Come To An End by Nelly Furtado were supposedly scrapped at the request of Parlophone ?!

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

Regarding the name similarities between Aiko and Eko @TomRiver, @yoyo2000 has a really good explanation. I was gonna chime in and say that Aiko was actually a reprise, but yoyo is right in saying that there was legtimately an unreleased song named Aiko, that probably sounds nothing like the Aiko most of the fanbase is used to. The track lengths are probably mere coincidence if this were to be the case, as TomRiver was obviously referring to the popular version of Aiko. There is a small chance that Eko is a remade version of the original Aiko, and an even slimmer chance that the length was kept, which would also mean the original Aiko is around as long as the Aiko we know, coincidentally or not. Another possibility is that Eko is a remade version of the Aiko we know, which I highly doubt as it's an officially released reprise. Inspired maybe, perhaps to poke some fun at the fanbase. If this turns out I'll be very surprised and we may never know what their motives were. Hell, maybe the unreleased Aiko shares some musical similarities to the reprise which would make the above more likely. It's unlikely but maybe Aiko was made to be a reprise and the Aiko we know and the "first" Aiko are the same, or that Aiko came first and it evolved, and Aiko was released later as a "reprise". I think they were Jon Hopkins reprises though, so the similarities would probably go no further than him being inspired by the original Aiko at best if it did have that melodic motif, and in all likelihood some doofus probably uploaded the JH reprise of Aiko to YT and slapped "Aiko" on it as it related to that era.

----------------------------------------------------

https://www.radio.com/music/alternative/chris-martin-of-coldplay-on-the-meaning-behind-orphans

LP9 Basically confirmed. He says it was being saved for "just something else," and smiles. Then he goes on to say "I was saving it for the next thing we're doing."

That dang daily star article was right...

It could have also meant for an EP don't forget.....

It would still mean that they likely have something more for us.

I wouldn't call GS experimental, but it does seem they are trying to repeat that structure in a way.

Hm, I'm afraid in my ears it does not bode well for the quality LP9...then again, Everyday Life looks like it will be better than GS, so who knows….

I would agree that GS isn't necessarily experimental, but there are numerous production elements that set it apart from the mainstream electronic pop songs at the time. There just seems to be a lot more space and ambiance in the record, as well as a greater variety and flavor of sounds. It's more "smoothly" produced than many of the songs at the time as well.

Well, if EL is better than GS...... here's hoping that LP9 will show AHFOD who's boss :D

Really hope they do something different for LP9 though. Wouldn't mind a MX 2.0 as MX was miles better than AHFOD.

YASSSSSSSSS

Their best album IMO, we totally need something like that.

Not something exactly like it, but just something that isn't so watered down as AHFOD. Mylo has real energy and bombast to its colorful music, and I think that's the way to go if they are to make big stadium songs like that, which is very possible for LP9 seeing that they're not supporting this album with a big tour, so they must be supporting the next one with a larger tour which would require something tending a little more towards the mainstream side.

This also brought another thought to mind: people are usually talking about GS as the smaller and more experimental side of the same coin that the poppy AHFOD is on. The same trend occurs with VLV and Mylo. Even though VLV was still a huge album with a big hit, the same sort of pattern applies. Despite Mylo's production with the synths especially spicing it up thanks to "Enoxification", which also probably played a part into making it my favorite album of all time with the combination of the energy and color of the music and just enough unique production to keep me happy as well, it's undoubtedly more mainstream and poppy than VLV, so yeah, this trend has been going for over a decade :D

I know this is wishful thinking, but I wouldn't mind a Coldplay album that is entirely guitar/piano rock. The emphasis being on ROCK. But didn't they say in the AHFOD Era that they think rock has nowhere left to go ?

didn't they already do that with AROBTTH?

As great as the album is, it'd be no fun seeing them do something they've already done.

PREACH.

It is kind of annoying seeing somewhat of a mentality being spread here that any song that gets popular is automatically bad, and that how bad a song is is directly proportionate to how popular it is (then why would we even be listening to Coldplay besides their oldest tunes?)

I'll definitely say however that different styles of music have been popular at different times of history. Stuff like The Beatles is something pretty much everyone can get down to, and because it's actually good music it will also be acclaimed. That kind of music has had its time though, and again it's no fun just repeating the past, so other styles evolved and became popular, some of which were more subject to critical and serious music fan acclaim than others.

What I am gonna say is that it just feels like mainstream styles have gotten dumber and dumber over the years, lending to mainstream populations still enjoying it, but more serious music fans and critics becoming more sick of it. It's not easy to make something so unique and original yet simultaneously popular at the same time, much less repeat that with a different style. It's happened before, but for a whole artist to enjoy this kind of success isn't common. We can speculate on why this is, that this is a deliberate attempt by labels so they can make easy songs written in an hour and score big money, or enabling literally anybody regardless of talent to do just this by making recording and production technologies more accessible, etc. but as another user said it all just comes down to taste.

Whether we want to hear it or not, no one's taste is objectively any better than any other, even if Person A's taste includes more "difficult" music than Person B. If it so happens that the style of music that's popular currently isn't somebody's cup of tea, that's completely fine as long as they're not hipsters acting like they don't like the music "just cause it's mainstream and cool", rather they should recognize whether they legitimately don't like that style of music, and I respect people who do that.

This can be more difficult to do nowadays, as the mainstream music scene has been experiencing convergence lately. In the past more styles of music were popular, so it was more difficult to say "I just don't like mainstream music". Contrast this to nowadays, where much of the music kind of just sounds the same, so to label it as a style that doesn't fit your taste is much easier, so to just automatically assume all mainstream music is garbage is a piece of cake. But people who are able to think it through like this will see past that, and I think it's quite important we all do this as it might help us expand our tastes, or at least find out why some content just isn't for us. Being in a community where the majority of people like a certain thing and don't like other things however doesn't help, and I can only wonder what some of our opinions would be without that bias.

I must admit I quite like some of their songs from AHFOD

Exact same here. I think l really do like most of the songs from AHFOD, but it perhaps doesn't seem that way due to the community bias mentioned above. I definitely still prefer music with more energy if it has to be poppy, and I do thing Stargate played a role in watering down some of their ideas

If this means songs like Arabesque as well as more pop-oriented music like AHFOD, I'm fine with that

I don't think what Chris said there implies that at all, really. They've been saying that for a while now, and this era he's really made sure we've all heard that they really don't care about mainstream success anymore (even if they said that last album, it's practically been confirmed that most tracks on this album will be different some way or another, with the notable collaborators and snippets of other songs we've heard).

You're probably still right though, seeing as Orphans served as the highlights from AHFOD and EL landed somewhere in between "experimental" and more accessible. Not to mention Stargate's on at least a track and Timbaland apparently has a credit on EL.

I mean there's nothing really poppy in Arabezque so of course the mix would lend to something different being at the forefront.

I don't think the guitar production is all that different though. It's a little quirkier in Arabesque and it's a little more audible in that track but I still think it's somewhat buried beneath Chris' vocals, this becomes more apparent after listening to the instrumental.

He also seems to have said that 'Orphans' is the main single of the new album.

Orphans has gotten some level of attention and I heard it once on radio like a day after release but if that's the case I'm not sure there'll be any "big" hit from this album at all, because it isn't that popular. There's nothing wrong with that of course. Perhaps another single will catch them by surprise and end up being this era's big hit.

Not the most trustworthy source of course, but THEY DID end up throwing Jay Z onto Prospekt's March.....

but I suppose Timbaland gave Will's drums the unique timbre (or rather, Timba) that they have.

That makes the most sense, considering it has a sort of long attack and dies down right after that. Which I think is kinda similar to how he does things with any sort of percussion anyhow.

• Like 1