✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

stephen

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

This poll is closed to new votes

I’m a bit unsure of them being political. I use music to escape the shit around us. To have the same shit issues in the songs I listen to...hmmm I don’t know about that.

I don't mind subtle politics in my music but Guns it's a bit in your face and obvious.

• Like 3

Looks like Chris reeeeally meant it when he said the band are pretty confident saying whatever the fuck they want to say now, with no fear of backlash.

This song will rustle a few jimmies for sure.

I dare say there are places in the world where this song won't resonate with people. And I love it.

Can also see a very Bob Dylan/Mumford and Sons-esque bluegrass rhythm dropping in after the "STOP".

• Like 4

Violet Hill is also a political song imho, perhaps even more clearly than Twisted Logic. What do you think about it ?

You're quite right, I like Violet Hill a lot, maybe because it has these romantic parts mixed in along with all the political stuff :)

• Like 6

I’m a bit unsure of them being political. I use music to escape the shit around us. To have the same shit issues in the songs I listen to...hmmm I don’t know about that.

I don't mind subtle politics in my music but Guns it's a bit in your face and obvious.

My feelings exactly, of course I don't mind important people shining a spotlight on important issues but I listen to music to sort of get away from politics, violence and those sort of things that surround us in every day life :yum I just hope it's not all as in-your-face as this snippet from Guns...

• Like 2

Finally a GOOD and meaningful interview on Everyday Life ! I recommend you all to watch it.

This goes to show Chris is very much capable of going deep rather than just making fun...if the interviewer asks the right questions.

Unfortunately, most interviewers I've seen recently tend to go for shallow questions/joking around etc rather than unearthing meaning.

And of course, "news" outlets prefer a headline like "New Coldplay album inspired by partying in Vegas and Game of Thrones" to something more meaningful. I doubt anyone will publish an article on THIS interview.

This is so fucked up.

• Like 11

I like music for both purposes, personally. Coldplay's music has always had some slight "political" undertones, so to have one album really dig into their feelings and frustrations sounds good to me! So long as the music also slaps :)

And something that might be politicized doesn't mean Coldplay shouldn't make art about it. At the end of the day, the world is really really frustrating, scary and confusing. Especially in 2019, I think people rising up and resisting a lot of the crap going down (violence, climate change, inequity, racism) is a good thing, and if Coldplay can contribute to that movement then go for it! Use your platform!

• Like 7

The idea that music and politics should be kept separate is a rather baffling one to me.

Some of the greatest music I've ever heard was inspired by political events. There's songs inspired by poltical tragedy, from Sunday Bloody Sunday, Ohio, The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll, etc. There's more subtle politics in albums like Mitski's Be the Cowboy, which takes the independent American white male cowboy image and turns it on its head by applying it to a woman of color, or Low's Double Negative, which channels all the social and political discord of our era into a confusing, indecipherable void of an album. And then there's songs like Glory to Hong Kong, Do You Hear the People Sing?, and Boundless Oceans, Vast Skies that have been adopted as anthems by protestors on the front lines of the battle for freedom.

Music is an outlet for social and political commentary, and a vehicle for social and political change. Always has been, always will be. As Fela Kuti once said and Coldplay once quoted: "Music is the weapon. Music is the weapon of the future." There's nothing wrong with preferring that all the music you listen to be apolitical, that's just a personal preference. It's just not one that I can understand.

• Like 6

If this song is even 1/4 of the song Violet Hill is I will be extremely pleased.

When Coldplay go historic/Political they produce some of their best material (Violet Hill, Politik, Arabesque, VLV)

The more I hear from this album, the more it’s shaping up to be the dream album I’ve been asking for a long time.

It’s rockier, indie, better produced, darker and has more attitude.

The wait is killing me.

• Like 8

I feel like they wouldn't have posted the teaser for Guns unless it's a single right? So maybe a single tomorrow/friday?

It seems the new way to release singles is 1. Announce album 2. Start rolling out singles on spotify every week 3. Put them on the top of your streaming service in one collection (or EP) 4. See the streams pour in.

Basically every time I've listened to EL on Spotify it will instantly go to Orphans then Arabasque and I sigh, realizing i Just listed to more than i intended. So why not add Guns to the list? Blink 182 had like 5 singles before their last album dropped and they put them in an EP format on Spotify making it easy to binge over and over.

• Like 2

I feel like they wouldn't have posted the teaser for Guns unless it's a single right? So maybe a single tomorrow/Friday?

Not necessarily, They could be releasing a teaser for every (or maybe most) song from now till the album release.

• Like 2

If this song is even 1/4 of the song Violet Hill is I will be extremely pleased.

When Coldplay go historic/Political they produce some of their best material (Violet Hill, Politik, Arabesque, VLV)

The more I hear from this album, the more it’s shaping up to be the dream album I’ve been asking for a long time.

It’s rockier, indie, better produced, darker and has more attitude.

The wait is killing me.

Indeed. I for one like that they are using some of their thoughts on current world matters. It fits the time we’re living in that everyone tries to inspire positive change. Plus it makes for layered and inspired music like many greats before them have done. Good counterpart for some recent records on AHFOD that didnt make too much of an impression.

• Like 1

Politically conscious Coldplay has been a thing for a long time. Twisted Logic is essentially an anti-climate change anthem, Politik is about the state of the world in late 2001, Violet Hill is a commentary on world events in 2007-2008, VLV references the French Revolution, ALIENS and Moving to Mars are songs about refugees... this is nothing new, apart from the fact that Everyday Life seems to have more of these political themes than previous albums.

I feel like they wouldn't have posted the teaser for Guns unless it's a single right? So maybe a single tomorrow/friday?

It seems the new way to release singles is 1. Announce album 2. Start rolling out singles on spotify every week 3. Put them on the top of your streaming service in one collection (or EP) 4. See the streams pour in.

Basically every time I've listened to EL on Spotify it will instantly go to Orphans then Arabasque and I sigh, realizing i Just listed to more than i intended. So why not add Guns to the list? Blink 182 had like 5 singles before their last album dropped and they put them in an EP format on Spotify making it easy to binge over and over.

Yeah, more than one artist I listen to has done this in the lead-up to their respective album release. Blink-182 did it, Liam Gallagher did it... I do wish they wouldn't release half the album in advance, but at the same time I understand the marketing logic behind doing so. At least Coldplay has a few more tracks to choose from when it comes to singles, assuming there are only a couple of interludes on the album.

• Like 2

Politically conscious Coldplay has been a thing for a long time. Twisted Logic is essentially an anti-climate change anthem, Politik is about the state of the world in late 2001, Violet Hill is a commentary on world events in 2007-2008, VLV references the French Revolution, ALIENS and Moving to Mars are songs about refugees... this is nothing new, apart from the fact that Everyday Life seems to have more of these political themes than previous albums.

Like I mentioned in my post, I don't mind subtle politics but I'm not a big fan of my favourite band singing "We need more guns" in my face. Lol.

• Like 1