✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

stephen

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

This poll is closed to new votes

A great relief that it's just their first chapter (we all know that anyway, except those brainwashed by the media :p)

It's hard to expect something from the band especially with the kind of genre that they'll make use of. The last album was hard to swallow honestly. It really took me a while to enjoy it. And I could blame myself because I expected a different kind of album. Having said that, their rhythm department had improved a lot which is great.

LP8 may or may not continue their pop trend. I don't know. The dawn of Kaleidoscope EP is really confusing at some point. It's like "hey, they still got that indie rock sound" but chose not to include those gems on the tour (except for the live debut of AICTAIY and MSS.) They'll surely bag tons of cash if they will follow AHFoD with another gigantic pop record. But at this point in their career, what they need to do is further establish their legacy and the best way to do that is create a brilliant record a la Rush of Blood or Viva.

Oh well..

"good things will come in our way..."

- Up with the Birds

• Like 3

I agree with you. But why would he soundcheck those songs then? It makes no sense to me.

They could be soundchecking them because they are used to soundcheck them from older tours or because they simply enjoy digging up the occasional oldie.

But it clearly isn't the kind of music they want to make at the moment.

Everyone has different tastes and I will always respect that but I have loved the AHFOD era so much and it's a weird but kind of sweet feeling that it's now come to an end.

I think AHFOD is a great album, but agree with some others with that it's not quite as great as it could be, but i wouldn't change much other than the production here and there. I know a lot the songs aren't their best but I just have so much feeling attached to most of the songs and then i was so pleased when i was able to add three more excellent songs into the tracklist (AICTAIY, ALIENS and Hypnotised) and now it really feels complete, from start to finish it feels like such a journey and I have a lot of great memories associated with this album. Thank you Coldplay.

I have no idea what they will actually bring out, I kind of do see them releasing something along the lines of an electronic-ish ROBTTH as some have suggested. As well as this, I could imagine something slightly psychedelic/beatles-y, very 60s and 70s but brought into modern day, I'd love to see that.

• Like 2

No wildly extreme numbers there. The max minus min number there is 7 months, and those came with the first 2 eras. Data shows they're trending in a more stable line now. I mean you can't just throw out numbers because you don't like them.

I also originally thought about including tour length in there, but yes, GS tour length was shorter than usual, but it was also a non-factor in the overall equation, so I left it out entirely in favour of gap between end tour date and adjacent album release date.

The gap b/w GS and AHFoD was exactly the same as MX and GS and only 2 months shorter than Viva and MX. The GS era 'abnormality' does not appreciably change the 1.5 year average. If you really wanna play that way, that 17.2 average changes to a 17.1 average. Big whoop. And I changed it to a more easy-to-remember 1.5 years for the sake of the sound bite.

Right. I just meant that the gap between the GS and AHFoD eras seemed short because the tour for GS was pretty limited, but I guess it was actually closer to the "norm" than I realized. Either way, as you said, it doesn't really matter in the scheme of things

I kind of do see them releasing something along the lines of an electronic-ish ROBTTH as some have suggested. As well as this, I could imagine something slightly psychedelic/beatles-y, very 60s and 70s but brought into modern day, I'd love to see that.

I saw this exact same hopes for AHFOD and it turned out to be pop [emoji14]

So as far as I know I'm expecting an album on the same lines as AHFOD. I hope I'm wrong...

"Stripped" album doesn't necessarily mean quieter to me, but rather less produced and more raw. I really don't consider GS to be a stripped album because it feels like a modern pop album with a lot of bells and whistles. I consider both Parachtues and AROBTTH to be stripped records, as well as much of Viva La Vida, because they focus heavily on live instrumentation.

I would absolutely lose my mind with happiness if LP8 is a folksy album, with only acoustic instruments, violins, and accordians, but I agree with most of you that it's unlikely. I could see, however, an album featuring LiB that also has a lot of tracks with those acoustic sounds, but also songs that could potentially delve into atmospheric shoegaze, indie, straight rock, and sure, maybe a few pop singles.

I think this should be considered a serious possibility though, and what JC90 says is absolutely true: Another dance, R&B, pop produced album is not going to be a surprise. An album that completely reinvents or harkens back to an acoustic sound would be. And it would make sense at this point in their careers. When you're a band that's done everything you need to prove to the world you can step it back and make raw, emotional, beautiful music again. That arc towards trendy music since 2011 HAS to end at some point.

In other words. Let's just keep it on the C-Stage for this next one.

• Like 8

Maybe the "full of surprises" thing doesn't mean a change in musical direction, but a change in production and releases. The latter meaning that they won't release any conventional album any time soon and focus on releasing surprise singles.

[emoji13] Imagine this is a hint of LP8's name!!! A ... Full Of Surprises[emoji13]

• Like 1

Maybe the "full of surprises" thing doesn't mean a change in musical direction, but a change in production and releases. The latter meaning that they won't release any conventional album any time soon and focus on releasing surprise singles.

[emoji13] Imagine this is a hint of LP8's name!!! A ... Full Of Surprises[emoji13]

Didn't we bored of A ... full of ... type of names? :D

This is actually what I've been worried about, and even more so after the speech.

This makes me a little worried to be honest. Chris already hinted in 2016 that they might not make full-length albums anymore and instead go with alternative ways of releasing music (he said he'd be "surprised if there was another conventional Coldplay album") and then this year: "It’s our seventh album and it’s the end of that first stage of the band. I think what the future holds is us doing things slightly differently and trying to create music in ways that is graceful and honest." Which sounds as if they might say goodbye to the idea of full-length albums, Eras and cycles. I really hope not. First of all, that might mean less physical and more digital releases, which I as someone who likes playing and collecting CDs find unpleasant (and the rise of digital versus physical single releases has already seen the death of the B-sides). Secondly, a full-length album is so much more than just a collection of +/- 10 songs. At best it is a unified, coherent suite that flows like a single work of music (AROBTTH for example), at the very least it comes with its own artwork, themed tour, style, era, and all these things that make the whole bigger than just a sum of its parts.

• Like 9

I think they have a seven records contract with Parlophone that ends with A Head Full Of Dreams. There are only rumors about them creating a label of their own and no clues about it. The most possible scenario is to remain with Parlophone as they didn't have any problems with them.

• Like 1

I think this should be considered a serious possibility though, and what JC90 says is absolutely true: Another dance, R&B, pop produced album is not going to be a surprise. An album that completely reinvents or harkens back to an acoustic sound would be. And it would make sense at this point in their careers. When you're a band that's done everything you need to prove to the world you can step it back and make raw, emotional, beautiful music again. That arc towards trendy music since 2011 HAS to end at some point.

Dance, R&B, pop produced record is not going to be a surprise? I think that Coldplay could come out with an album that stretched their sound to the point that we have never heard it before. To the point where Coldplay will not be considered a "rock" band. This potentially means incorporating builds and drops, having rap/pop collaborations, and using instruments we have never heard before coming from the gang. I think it could be their most experimental and modern sounding album yet.

Dance, R&B, pop produced record is not going to be a surprise? I think that Coldplay could come out with an album that stretched their sound to the point that we have never heard it before. To the point where Coldplay will not be considered a "rock" band. This potentially means incorporating builds and drops, having rap/pop collaborations, and using instruments we have never heard before coming from the gang. I think it could be their most experimental and modern sounding album yet.

I think that @lennyrott1 wanted to say that after AHFOD (which is, don't get me wrong, much more pop and RnB than rock) and the massiveness of the tour, the band's predictable move would be releasing a full mainstream/poppy album. And when Chris says that now on they will be full of surprises it means that they will do something unexpected, like making something Oldplay sounding.

• Like 1

I am quite mind open for what we could get with their next project (at this moment i'm kinda intrigued with the idea of not having a full-lenght album).

I also truly dream of having an oldplay kinda based style, though can't see it happening.

For the general public, Coldplay is the definition of a 'good-vibes' band that you can always hear playing on the radio and, obviously, the one that knows how to make an extraordinary concert.

I particularly can't stand imagining their next tour being less incredible than MX's and AHFoD's, but that could imply making the same pop music. I'm totally divided into wanting something different, possibly artistically richier, and also willing to see colourful, full of life concerts and general vibe.

My biggest nightmare, though, is that it goes way too pop and the band loses their essence and their next single lyrics will only be "ahhhh ahhhh ole ole ole uhhhh baby".

I just wish we could invade Chris head and check what are the band's motivations at his moment.

For now, I'm sticking to the "anything is possible" mantra and putting faith that they will indeed surprise us.

• Like 1

Note, they're never taken a full 2 years off.

Coming off my old post here (which was fairly accurate [i was only 1 month off]), you can see that. I'll also throw in an updated version with a new estimate.Untitled.png

Note, the new data received from the LP7 era did not drastically change the overall average. I still firmly believe in a 1.5 year wait for us starting now.

God, X&Y's gap is really long. I honestly never noticed.

As for LP8, this is somewhat accurate, but fucking hell. TWO YEARS?! Lol this is longer than the wait might be for Stranger Things (which also saddens me).

Eh, whatever. I'm still gonna begin a countdown to it ahah.

It does seem like a long time, but it will be here before you know it. It still feels like yesterday when we were waiting for the Global Citizen Festival to hear the new song (Amazing Day) and now here we are 2 years later with the Era pretty much over. One thing for sure is that time will always go on. So no matter the wait, it will come. Also, there will come a day where the band will stop, so the longer that takes, the better.

I just want to enjoy the ride, and the hype and build up to a new era is always my favorite part. The guessing, the speculation, the rumors, I love it all! And I wonder if what Chris means by no conventional Coldplay albums, will also relate to eras/touring. I love the fact that every era has a distinct look and feel to it. Most fans can look at a picture of the band and know exactly what era its from. So maybe they will stop doing the "themes"? I can't picture them not doing it, but honesty who knows? That's the fun part in waiting for the next era. Also it's great to speculate with you all. I can't wait til we see our first photo/hear our first rumor. That's when the fun begins. Bring it on!

• Like 7

I thank our lord savior this horrendous era is finally over!!! What the band need is a five year hiatus but I doubt it'll happen. All my predictions post Viva turned out to be quite accurate and I'm sensing we'll be getting an album by early 2020. The whole album could be collaborations, with Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande and Harry Styles certain to appear. I think they'll incorporate more R&B and electronic vibes with minimum guitars and piano. Anything experimental, edgy or rock-sounding is out of the picture so I'm expecting more of the same. Something between Take That, Nicki Minaj and Imagine Dragons.

• Like 1

I thank our lord savior this horrendous era is finally over!!! What the band need is a five year hiatus but I doubt it'll happen. All my predictions post Viva turned out to be quite accurate and I'm sensing we'll be getting an album by early 2020. The whole album could be collaborations, with Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande and Harry Styles certain to appear. I think they'll incorporate more R&B and electronic vibes with minimum guitars and piano. Anything experimental, edgy or rock-sounding is out of the picture so I'm expecting more of the same. Something between Take That, Nicki Minaj and Imagine Dragons.

That would be great!!

• Like 1

They "full of surprises" thing could mean anything at this point. We'lI see. I have learned with time to just not take whatever Chris says very seriously. So my prediction is they'll just do their own version of whatever is hype during the time the album is released. Totally expect the band to go on full Imagine Dragons/Maroon5/Twenty One Pilots territory.