✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

stephen

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

This poll is closed to new votes

Gosh...it’s been an absolutely increible era. My first Coldplay shows (three of them this era, LA2016, LA2017, SD2017), and the second era I’ve seen beginning to end, it’s been quite the journey. This band and it’s songs have changed the person I am. I hope this continues with LP8 and the next few years of anticipation (and hopefully some random bonus tracks here and there). I don’t think this is the end, as some music reporters have said/wanted it to be. This is truly “a next chapter”.

Alternatively, they could renegotiate with Warner/Parlaphone and release an album that feels like Maroon 5 and Ed Sheeran and make a billion dollars and get a metascore of 53. .

Most likely scenario for me. They just seem to enjoy playing stadiums and concerts full of anthems and "ooohs" way too much. Most people talked about Kaleidoscope EP as a "step in the right direction" but none of songs (except. for SLTJ) made it to the regular setlist during the final two legs of the tour. I honestly think they need a quite extensive hiatus (like around 2 years) but I don't see it happening.

• Like 1

Most people talked about Kaleidoscope EP as a "step in the right direction"

:D I just used exactly that wording in my post in the Oldplaying thread, then I come here and see you wrote this - what a coincidence, LOL

Yes, it is a bit disheartening to see that none of the great songs of Kaleidoscope was performed live properly or more than once. Instead when they do choose to put a new song in the setlist, it is arguably the weakest track they have written in the while (LiB).

Whatever goes on in their heads... :neutral:

:D I just used exactly that wording in my post in the Oldplaying thread, then I come here and see you wrote this - what a coincidence, LOL

Yes, it is a bit disheartening to see that none of the great songs of Kaleidoscope was performed live properly or more than once. Instead when they do choose to put a new song in the setlist, it is arguably the weakest track they have written in the while (LiB).

Whatever goes on in their heads... :neutral:

LiB is very bad, but SJLT is even worse... From 5 or 6 new songs to perform live, they chose the worst 2... GJ Coldplay.

• Like 2

LiB is very bad, but SJLT is even worse... From 5 or 6 new songs to perform live, they chose the worst 2... GJ Coldplay.

I kinda agree here. LIB feels like a song written very fast 'because they had to' and it is written in a half-assed manner.

For SJLT I really hated it when heard for the first two times. But I must admit I really enjoy the verses now. But not the sound. And not these damn Chainsmokers.

Speaking about LP8, I honestly don't know what to expect. Telling the truth I feel so strange since MX era was finished. I can't say that GS or AHFOD are bad, there are realy really great songs on these, but my feelings are not that good and positive about band's direction since GS introduction. AHFOD was a really tough one for me to get, I thought (and I still think) that this was a kind of a marketing joke or something. I adore the title track, Birds and Up&Up, that's it. But anyway I'm grateful for this huge and colorful tour they've done 'cause I finally got the chance to see them for the 1st time in my life, dreaming about this for 7-8 years.

What are the options Coldplay could go from the musical point of view? They've been a rock band, they've been indie, they've been (and they are) pop and electronic. I really like the psychodelic idea though.

• Like 1

I totally agree with you. I hoped that they were going to put at least Hypnotised on their tracklist for the American tours.

I saw them on the 16th June this year at Hannover, Germany. They also released "All I Can Think About Is You" on this day, which was played live in Tokyo back in April. I probably would have died, if they had played it as some kind of "release celebration". It's my favourite AHFOD era song. [emoji173]️

I totally agree with you. I hoped that they were going to put at least Hypnotised on their tracklist for the American tours.

I saw them on the 16th June this year at Hannover, Germany. They also released "All I Can Think About Is You" on this day, which was played live in Tokyo back in April. I probably would have died, if they had played it as some kind of "release celebration". It's my favourite AHFOD era song. [emoji173]️

I think All I Can Think About Is You is the best song they've done since Viva

• Like 1

I'm definitely looking forward to what "surprises" they may come out with. I also think that the media is portraying them wrong by saying this is their last hurrah. I mean if we look at the success of the AHFOD (3rd highest grossing tour of all time and attended by over 5 million people) there's no way they're done. I agree with what was said before about maybe they would create their own label as now they're free. Super excited for the future of the band and their fan base as well!

• Like 2

Guys... I bet it will be more electronic and dance based. I think it's pretty obvious... Chris has said numerous times in interviews that he loves EDM and when good electronic production meets emotional songwriting he becomes very happy. I can almost guarantee that Coldplay will be heading this way with the overall sound of LP8, with even rich synths and more modern unconventional instruments that are made with the help of a DAW. Thoughts?

• Like 1

Truthfully, there is never a clear cut start or end to an era, just arbitrary lines we point to for our own sakes [emoji12] In my experience it never feels over until we're clearly in the next one

Right. I think they started writing while they were on tour. That means we are already in LP8 era.

• Like 1

As someone who enjoyed this era (and the tour especially) massively, I feel there is more great things to come from Coldplay. However, we don't know who the band will work with for production, that does make a difference (Stargate for example).

I also believe two years is a minimum time we won't be hearing from them. I'm sure they'll want to surprise people the most they can and whatever plans are in the pipeline, they will not be executed prematurely.

• Like 3

As for the songs, who knows. They've been keeping secrets well, also will they record at The Bakery/The Beehive again? It seems with all the time Chris is spending in LA, this has been more of a hub for the rest of the band, but again I don't know the ins/outs, so it might not be this way.

• Like 1

As for the songs, who knows. They've been keeping secrets well, also will they record at The Bakery/The Beehive again? It seems with all the time Chris is spending in LA, this has been more of a hub for the rest of the band, but again I don't know the ins/outs, so it might not be this way.
Thanks for pointing that out. Musically it would be better if Chris moved back to London. Being in the studio the four together is the best way possible to start a creative process and engage better, thus creating better music. I understand Chris when he wants to be with his kids. But come on dude. Who cares about Gwyneth? Just move with the kids to London. [emoji14]
  • Like 3

I'm definitely looking forward to what "surprises" they may come out with. I also think that the media is portraying them wrong by saying this is their last hurrah. I mean if we look at the success of the AHFOD (3rd highest grossing tour of all time and attended by over 5 million people) there's no way they're done. I agree with what was said before about maybe they would create their own label as now they're free. Super excited for the future of the band and their fan base as well!

Well duh, the media would say that. Not to get all 'tin-foil-hat' on you, but the media's job is to sell, not to inform. A headline of "Coldplay's Last Album" is going to catch your attention more than anything.

Guys... I bet it will be more electronic and dance based. I think it's pretty obvious... Chris has said numerous times in interviews that he loves EDM and when good electronic production meets emotional songwriting he becomes very happy. I can almost guarantee that Coldplay will be heading this way with the overall sound of LP8, with even rich synths and more modern unconventional instruments that are made with the help of a DAW. Thoughts?

Chris also said numerous times he likes other types of music as well, but no one pays attention to that because they only focus/hear about the EDM stuff, 'cause they dislike it the most. Yeah, he likes EDM, but did he suddenly dislike U2, Johnny Cash, Sigur Ros, Jay-Z, Pavarotti, Rihanna?

• Like 1

I also believe two years is a minimum time we won't be hearing from them. I'm sure they'll want to surprise people the most they can and whatever plans are in the pipeline, they will not be executed prematurely.

Note, they're never taken a full 2 years off.

Coming off my old post here (which was fairly accurate [i was only 1 month off]), you can see that. I'll also throw in an updated version with a new estimate.Untitled.png

Note, the new data received from the LP7 era did not drastically change the overall average. I still firmly believe in a 1.5 year wait for us starting now.

• Like 3

^ The gap between GS and AHFoD was an abnormality anyway, and it had a unique reason for its occurrence so the data from that can likely be tossed out. I like this chart though, and I agree with your May 2019 estimate. Unless the guys do decide to take a real break since this is the completion of their "first chapter," this sounds like a reasonable prediction.

EDIT: If we're basing our LP8 predictions on previous data (and throwing out GS as an abnormality), does that mean we're getting another short title for LP8? :P

• Like 1

^ The gap between GS and AHFoD was an abnormality anyway, and it had a unique reason for its occurrence so the data from that can likely be tossed out. I like this chart though, and I agree with your May 2019 estimate. Unless the guys do decide to take a real break since this is the completion of their "first chapter," this sounds like a reasonable prediction.

EDIT: If we're basing our LP8 predictions on previous data (and throwing out GS as an abnormality), does that mean we're getting another short title for LP8? :P

GS is an abnormality, because its tour was very small. So again it was approximately 1,5 years between GS last tour date and AHFOD release, as it was with every other gap between previous albums.

• Like 1

Not sure how you can say that. These are the number of months between adjacent eras.

PARA-RUSH: 14

RUSH-XY: 21

XY-VIVA: 15

VIVA-MX: 19

MX-GS: 17

GS-DREAMS: 17

No wildly extreme numbers there. The max minus min number there is 7 months, and those came with the first 2 eras. Data shows they're trending in a more stable line now. I mean you can't just throw out numbers because you don't like them.

I also originally thought about including tour length in there, but yes, GS tour length was shorter than usual, but it was also a non-factor in the overall equation, so I left it out entirely in favour of gap between end tour date and adjacent album release date.

The gap b/w GS and AHFoD was exactly the same as MX and GS and only 2 months shorter than Viva and MX. The GS era 'abnormality' does not appreciably change the 1.5 year average. If you really wanna play that way, that 17.2 average changes to a 17.1 average. Big whoop. And I changed it to a more easy-to-remember 1.5 years for the sake of the sound bite.

• Like 1

Chris also said numerous times he likes other types of music as well, but no one pays attention to that because they only focus/hear about the EDM stuff, 'cause they dislike it the most. Yeah, he likes EDM, but did he suddenly dislike U2, Johnny Cash, Sigur Ros, Jay-Z, Pavarotti, Rihanna?

JC90, love your response. I actually like when Chris says he likes EDM, not dislike it. I don't think you can generalize that into an audience, maybe on here a lot of people like the old styles of Coldplay but obviously there are a lot of people who want them to keep evolving the way they are too!

No, Chris did not suddenly dislike any of those artists. My prediction is that they will keep the same emotional and acoustic style of songwriting on LP8, but will take a turn with he production. As seen on the AFHOD tour, they strive to make their shows to be as lively as possible (with the help of an EDM remix of Paradise I believe), but will always have a stripped back acoustic part of the show as well. Chris Martin and the band tend to follow the way music is going, not sure what the motivation is (maybe to stay popular in the charts, maybe just because they truly love the modern production being used). They never want to repeat themselves and are always looking for a new and innovative sound. I think by judging where Chris's head is at, and since the band is getting older every era, it is inevitable that Coldplay come out with an album more influenced by EDM production. And I am not ruling out any Hip-Hop or Pop collaborations. Mark my words...

• Like 1

I was watching soundchecks of this last tour and I noticed they soundcheck the elder songs like One I Love, Spies, High Speed, AROBTTH...

Just wish they have played them live this year...

Do you think the band still have the rock inside their skin, but are just limited because their record company "makes" them do commercial music?

I mean. If they were not interested in this type of music anymore and they were not playing that night why would they soundcheck it?

• Like 2

Soundchecking and playing old songs is fine... I just think that making a stripped back album is not going to happen. They have already made stripped back albums (parachutes, ghost stories) and are always looking for the next thing to do. Repeating what they have already done is the last thing they want.

I was watching soundchecks of this last tour and I noticed they soundcheck the elder songs like One I Love, Spies, High Speed, AROBTTH...

Just wish they have played them live this year...

Do you think the band still have the rock inside their skin, but are just limited because their record company "makes" them do commercial music?

I mean. If they were not interested in this type of music anymore and they were not playing that night why would they soundcheck it?

I don't think it's the record company that makes them do anything. A band of their size whose contract is even about to end is not at the mercy of their record company. Sadly, this really is the kind of music they (especially Chris) seem to want to do these days...

I don't think it's the record company that makes them do anything. A band of their size whose contract is even about to end is not at the mercy of their record company. Sadly, this really is the kind of music they (especially Chris) seem to want to do these days...
I agree with you. But why would he soundcheck those songs then? It makes no sense to me.