✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

stephen

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

This poll is closed to new votes

• 2 weeks later...

I hope that the guys find critical and fan redemption in LP8. Let me explain in this ramble...

Today I was chatting with some friends, some of whom are super into music, and there was this huge sentiment that Coldplay is overrated and no longer can be considered an important or relevant group. I'm an unabashed Oldplayer, but I listened to AHFOD and GS and MX a million times and really love those albums. Over the past few years when reading the opinions of "experts," I always see lines like "yeah the first few albums were good and Viva was cool, but that doesn't make them as legendary as their influences" And let's be honest, there are big inconsistencies in those last 3 eras. More accurately, there isn't a consensus from fans or critics on whether Newplay is good or not. In a decade will Coldplay be remembered like U2 or Prince? WIll they be seen as innovators? Obviously this has been said a million times before on this forums but....

I still haven't lost hope. I feel like with Kaleidiscope we saw hints of a band that can still make moving rock music. As a Coldplayer, I want them emembered as a band that matches some of the best, not a band that had a good streak and then crapped out in the mainstream (i.e. Maroon 5). I think they could do this by going back to their roots. And yeah, maybe that's been done before and isn't inventive--but I feel this lack of simple love songs with hypnotic piano, guitar, and epic choruses in today's music. Its a formula that has been used since rock music was a invented and yet I rarely hear great, simple rock songs anymore. Rather I find myself being pushed to rap, pop, punk, metal, folk, or other subgenres of rock. If LP8 just stripped away the bells and whistles for pure and simple songwriting, then I think fans and critics would feel refreshed and could come together again. And it doesn't need to be dull, you can still include worldly or classical influences. But maybe some reverance for the soft-rock, post-brit-pop, limestone rock of the early 2000's would be exactly what our pop radio needs right now? And who else to deliver that sweet and amazing nostalgia than the best of that genre?

Again, I don't dislike Newplay. Some of their best work has come in this decade, no doubt. But when you listen to Ok Computer or Sgt. Pepper, there is a rawness and energy there that reaches so much higher than AHFOD. And yeah, Coldplay doesn't have the songwriting ability of The Beatles or the talent level of Radiohead. But they do have a special sound that is purely their own. I just want to hear it again in one great album, if that makes any sense.

• Like 11

The thing about collaborations is that they can be REALLY hit or miss. We've already seen the backlash from the collaborations with Rihanna, Beyonce, The Chainsmokers, etc. While some of those songs I personally didn't mind, others were just . . . not good. If we must have a collaboration on this album, I would rather them pair up with Noel Gallagher again, or someone similar--aka more rock-focused than pop-focused.

Otherwise, I think we've had enough collaborators for the time being, and I'd like to have an all-Coldplay Coldplay album again

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
I hope that the guys find critical and fan redemption in LP8. Let me explain in this ramble...

Today I was chatting with some friends, some of whom are super into music, and there was this huge sentiment that Coldplay is overrated and no longer can be considered an important or relevant group. I'm an unabashed Oldplayer, but I listened to AHFOD and GS and MX a million times and really love those albums. Over the past few years when reading the opinions of "experts," I always see lines like "yeah the first few albums were good and Viva was cool, but that doesn't make them as legendary as their influences" And let's be honest, there are big inconsistencies in those last 3 eras. More accurately, there isn't a consensus from fans or critics on whether Newplay is good or not. In a decade will Coldplay be remembered like U2 or Prince? WIll they be seen as innovators? Obviously this has been said a million times before on this forums but....

I still haven't lost hope. I feel like with Kaleidiscope we saw hints of a band that can still make moving rock music. As a Coldplayer, I want them emembered as a band that matches some of the best, not a band that had a good streak and then crapped out in the mainstream (i.e. Maroon 5). I think they could do this by going back to their roots. And yeah, maybe that's been done before and isn't inventive--but I feel this lack of simple love songs with hypnotic piano, guitar, and epic choruses in today's music. Its a formula that has been used since rock music was a invented and yet I rarely hear great, simple rock songs anymore. Rather I find myself being pushed to rap, pop, punk, metal, folk, or other subgenres of rock. If LP8 just stripped away the bells and whistles for pure and simple songwriting, then I think fans and critics would feel refreshed and could come together again. And it doesn't need to be dull, you can still include worldly or classical influences. But maybe some reverance for the soft-rock, post-brit-pop, limestone rock of the early 2000's would be exactly what our pop radio needs right now? And who else to deliver that sweet and amazing nostalgia than the best of that genre?

Again, I don't dislike Newplay. Some of their best work has come in this decade, no doubt. But when you listen to Ok Computer or Sgt. Pepper, there is a rawness and energy there that reaches so much higher than AHFOD. And yeah, Coldplay doesn't have the songwriting ability of The Beatles or the talent level of Radiohead. But they do have a special sound that is purely their own. I just want to hear it again in one great album, if that makes any sense.

Good to see your post old friend!

We both know it's unlikely to happen as we've discussed a million times before. And the reasons are very clear. They've lost certain qualities that makes bands try to be inventive. Te begin with they seem to have fallen into a "safe zone" where popularity and sales within certain demographics replace a lust for creativity. They've been on a repeat cycle of pop-album-then-bombastic-tour for a decade now. They're just too comfortable with where and who they are to care about producing extraordinary music. They also stopped giving a fuck about what their core fanbase think long ago, even before they were done with critics, and this is a very dangerous pit to fall into as they lose their drive to maintain or improve their artistic credibility. Their lives have also drastically changed and when your songwriter is involved with people or activities that are very questionable you can't not expect things to change for the worse. There are a lot of other factors too but let's not get into it for the two millionth time.

Right now they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as U2 or Radiohead let alone the likes of Pink Floyd. If their aim really is to make something great huge changes need to be made. Ones that could potentially rock the core of the band. A 3-5 year hiatus is a must. Going forward Chris must also be kept out of the process for the first year of any writing effort and they need to get Ken Nelson and Marcus Dravs back into the studio right away. The ONLY solution for Coldplay as a band right now is for Will, Jonny and Guy to think as if there is no Chris Martin. They need to stop being session musicians and start experimenting again both instrumentally and creatively. Once they get comfortable again just jamming together as a rock band without this huge force overshadowing everything then we might hear some changes.

• Like 9

I liked the rihanna and tove lo collab, because their voices harmonized so much with chris's

And Beyoncé did a good job on hftw too, but not as good

BUT a liam/noel gallagher, tom chaplin, gary lightbody, bono collab would be THE BEST

Just imagining chris singing with them makes me wish for it even more.

Lets pray.

• Like 4

I would give anything to see that... [emoji813]_eyes:
Hm hm, i see it by your picture. That day i was also mesmerized by Coldplay playing dont look back in anger and then live forever with liam. I wasnt expecting that at all, i was so happy.
  • Like 1

It really depends on who they would collab with. I like if they collab with someone good. Noel Gallagher on Up&Up is great.

Tove Lo is a good voice to pair with Chris, but the song was mediocre. Same with Rihanna, but the song was meh.

I'm not a fan of pop collaborations (The Chainsmokers-yuck). But if Johnny Cash was around for Til Kingdom Come, that would've been awesome.

Top choices for collabs with Coldplay off the top of my head-

John Mayer

Eddie Vedder

Kanye

Frank Ocean

Ryan Tedder

Alessia Cara

Tame Impala

Paul McCartney

• Like 3

I think collabs have helped get them new generations of fans and kept them relevant when, let's face it, rock is dying. As much as it pains me to say because it is my first and top love. But if it means we get to still have the guys, then I am for it.

• Like 1

Sorry, have not been following, but to me the real question (regarding collabs is), would you rather have no collabs, or a great one. I mean, if they really did get offered a collab with Bono for example, im not sure id enjoy that as much as them doing their own thing.

• Like 1

I think the only bad thing with Coldplay's collaborations so far is that they were pretty safe choices, something that some of their fans (not me) don't associate Coldplay with. They associate them with more experimental and less safe choices, which if you give it a second thought, the music that they consider experimental and less commercial may not be as experimental and as non commercial as they may think it is since it was the sound they kind of abused for years of their success and it worked pretty good for them until they felt that they needed to do something new. I'm gonna fall into my own category. I don't give a remote d*mn what choices Coldplay does, as long as it's good music, I'm fine with it.

One of my biggest issues as an artist is when I am being constraint to what I can do with my music only because I have to please demographics. Why would you want Coldplay to be constraint too? Let them do whatever they want. So far it worked pretty well for them and they seem to try always to find the golden cut to all demographics. There can't be a better case scenario than that. You won't find any other artist or band that is doing what they do so well throughout their long year career and the music choices they make. They haven't done a single flop, not even half. How many artists/bands can you name that have released 7 albums and all of them were critical and commercial successes?

• Like 8

I love Radiohead, and in terms of talent and creativity, they are far superior to Coldplay.

But Coldplay's music is much more relatable and listenable, IMO. I'll show a friend a Radiohead song and their reaction is, "This is f*cking weird". I'll play them a Coldplay deep track and they will say "This is pretty good, who is this?"

Side note-

And I don't really understand the narrative that Coldplay is a "U2 ripoff" or "Radiohead ripoff". Coldplay's early early stuff, like pre-Parachutes was certainly very clearly a Radiohead-based sound. But since then, I haven't heard much that is really a ripoff of Radiohead. And same with U2, there are a few songs that use their guitar sound (Most explicitly the AHFOD title track and ETIAW), but they are by no means ripping off anyone.

X&Y is very unique sounding. VLV, AROBTTH and MX are their creative masterpieces. They've grown up a lot since writing a couple Radiohead knockoffs in 1998.

• Like 6

I love Radiohead, and in terms of talent and creativity, they are far superior to Coldplay.

But Coldplay's music is much more relatable and listenable, IMO. I'll show a friend a Radiohead song and their reaction is, "This is f*cking weird". I'll play them a Coldplay deep track and they will say "This is pretty good, who is this?"

Side note-

And I don't really understand the narrative that Coldplay is a "U2 ripoff" or "Radiohead ripoff". Coldplay's early early stuff, like pre-Parachutes was certainly very clearly a Radiohead-based sound. But since then, I haven't heard much that is really a ripoff of Radiohead. And same with U2, there are a few songs that use their guitar sound (Most explicitly the AHFOD title track and ETIAW), but they are by no means ripping off anyone.

X&Y is very unique sounding. VLV, AROBTTH and MX are their creative masterpieces. They've grown up a lot since writing a couple Radiohead knockoffs in 1998.

My favourite band is Coldplay. Still I have to say that Radiohead are indeed far superior to Coldplay. I agree with everything you've said. Coldplay still has to grow a lot to write something like OK Computer imo. That's a f*cking masterpiece.

And Radiohead is relatable too. But I agree with you. The first time I started listening to Radiohead, about 4, 5 years ago and I listened to Paranoid Android I was like, "what the f*ck is this and this music video???" but the more you listen to them, the more you start to understand the meanings behind the songs.

• Like 5