✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

stephen

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

This poll is closed to new votes

Slightly off topic, but the whole full bearded hipster Rastafarian beanie thing Chris has going on these days makes me wonder if he may experiment with reggae sounds. Or it's just a fad for the hell of it bc wearing the same look for 2 years including the shirts must wear on you.

Also not sure how he's able to rock so many looks, or get better looking with age. I guess thge answer is money but still...

• Like 1

I'd prefer they didn't have a collaboration as a palate cleanser after AHFOD. But any collaboration with Brian Eno, Jon Hopkins, or more production from Markus Dravs is welcome! If they did insist on collaborations, here are some thoughts:

Hip-Hop/R&B: The Weeknd does some fairly slick pop songs. Kendrick is obviously the best rapper alive right now. Frank Ocean makes amazing music and has great vocals. SZA's last album was amazing and Chris has praised her before. Migos would be hilarious, why not. J Cole does great socially-minded rap. Kanye or Jay-Z are always great and have worked with Chris before, so that'd be cool.

Female Vocalist: Bjork because that would mean atmospheric masterpiece. Lorde is moody and wonderful. Carly Rae Jepson makes pop songs that are pure ectasy. Brittany Howard from Alabama Shakes has PIPES. Alynda Lee of Hurray for the Riff Raff --great band check them out. Julien Baker-- saw her live this year. Wow. most amazing voice I've ever heard, great acoustic songwriting, very depressing.

Rock: Brandon Flowers, The Edge, Noel or Liam, DangerMouse (producer), Dave Grohl (why not), anyone from or around Radiohead, Flea from RHCP, The War on Drugs (who hate Coldplay), Dressner brothers from The National, Metallica (seriously Coldplay needs ONE metal sounding song) and who else?

Misc: Chvrches,. James Blake,Jason Isbell, Angel Olson, Sigur Ros, Flying Lotus, Thundercat, Massive Attack, Charlie XCX, Sturgill Simpson

• Like 3

Slightly off topic, but the whole full bearded hipster Rastafarian beanie thing Chris has going on these days makes me wonder if he may experiment with reggae sounds. Or it's just a fad for the hell of it bc wearing the same look for 2 years including the shirts must wear on you.

Also not sure how he's able to rock so many looks, or get better looking with age. I guess thge answer is money but still...

I respect reggae music, but dear god I hope not. That is one genre Coldplay should absolutely not go near. Lol.

The only reggae thing they will ever do is Rastarian Targaryen.

However, if they are thinking psychedelic/shoegaze, then now we are talking. Give me some whacked out, experimental Coldplay shit.

• Like 7

So, the poll closed. 28 of us took part and we can agree that most of us are sceptical about future collaborations, as only 7% preferred them. Well, some didn't really want any collaborations and others wanted collaborations, but with artists of their choice.

Screenshot_20180204-232105.thumb.jpg.1f9376d4622648b3aaa53a148cd61ce2.jpg

There is going to be another poll and this time it will be acoustic vs. electronic music. I know some of you might argue that there are a lot of good/bad quality acoustic/electronic music. Assuming that both ways the album will be of great quality which of the two would you like the band to follow in the making of the next LP?

Edit: and please don't start the Oldplay Newplay drama again

• Like 3

Electronic vs. acoustic is a little tougher question because we've gotten both already to some extent (if you consider Ghost Stories to be electronic somewhat?)

For me it depends on the extent of the influence and what I'm feeling that day lol. Coldplay already has a lot of acoustic-y songs in their catalogue, but those are the sorts of songs that drew people to them in the first place. If the quality of both potential records is the same, at the moment an electronic-inspired record sounds more interesting to me. Something sci-fi and synthy with some really unique sounds. Could also open the door for more unique (read: better) songwriting with themes we haven't yet seen from Chris.

Acoustic has been done, and done well, by Coldplay. I feel like if we get another acoustic record, it's going to tread over old ground we've already seen. I like that Coldplay has the chutzpah to reimagine themselves with every album, and if the end product is good, then I'd like to see them continue down that road.

• Like 2

I honestly have no clue which direction Coldplay will go if they make their eighth album, especially after the summing everything up and love, joy, happiness vibe that AHFOD era brought. What I do take a punt on is that they will continue to follow the contemporary style of music popular today. Coldplay was definitely identifiable with rock in the 00's especially AROBTTH and X&Y, as well as Viva. However, the 10's have seen them shift to a more pop/dance/mild rock phase. This new direction was shown in MX which is probably my favorite Coldplay album. Currently, the contemporary style as of 2018 is pop-EDM plus r&b. Coldplay have already adopted this style with SJLT and Miracles SS (described as 'sunset pop' from iTunes review - makes me think of Calvin Harris Funk Wav Bounces), which of course has Big Sean featuring. So I presume more of this will trend in the potential LP8 and therefore will continue to have commercial success.

So my answer to poll 2 is that LP8 will be electronica predominant.

However, in saying that, Coldplay is Coldplay and I can see more acoustic in amongest the production. Didn't Guy Berryman allude to a more acoustic sound to be expected next, as I saw somewhere? That would be something I would like to see.

I also would like the best parts of AROBTTH - Clocks, GPASUYF, and The Scientist (the rest is rubbish that drags on TBH) I would like to see more songs like these, along with MX vibes and more experimental works of art like Midnight.

And some fries with that.

• Like 3

I must really be one of a kind because this time I want the Coldplay to come back with something totally different, new and unusual for them. I'd be delighted if they made and brought out a such a completely psychedelic record that listeners would feel like being incredibly high on drugs and being dragged in a sweet stupor without actually taking narcotics. It might be like tasting something outrageously addictive and delightful, nearly a guilty pleasure, haha. :joy:

I wouldn't mind them creating an acoustic, stripped-down album but folk music, please. I can imagine it as a so-called tribute album to the local music of the regions where the Coldplay members grew up. I believe that such a record doesn't need to be polished so much and have some computer generated sounds. Let them leave it raw and simple.

[spoiler=OPEN AND READ THIS IF YOU'RE COURAGEOUS ENOUGH.]Lastly, I've come up with such a crazy idea that not everyone might appreciate that at all. All right, let's get to it. What about country music? I'm not really a fan of that but that doesn't mean I'm not open to it. I'm pretty much aware of the fact that this music might not appeal to people of all age in particular but the result can be very interesting. Modern art is all about experiments anyway.

• Like 2

[spoiler=OPEN AND READ THIS IF YOU'RE COURAGEOUS ENOUGH.]Lastly, I've come up with such a crazy idea that not everyone might appreciate that at all. All right, let's get to it. What about country music? I'm not really a fan of that but that doesn't mean I'm not open to it. I'm pretty much aware of the fact that this music might not appeal to people of all age in particular but the result can be very interesting. Modern art is all about experiments anyway.

As someone who lives in what's essentially the capital of the world for that particular style of music, let's just say that would be an . . . interesting combination. I actually wouldn't be against something in the style of "old" country music like Johnny Cash, Don Williams, etc. (AKA the music my dad listens to). Even something that's a rock-country fusion like the Eagles would be pretty cool, and I think they in particular could be a great inspiration. That would also introduce a new way of songwriting for the guys, as songs from Cash and the Eagles tend to tell concrete, linear stories. See "One Piece at a Time," "I Hung My Head," "Life in the Fast Lane," and "Hotel California."

But please Oh God Almighty DO NOT let them start getting inspiration from modern country songs :cold_sweat:

• Like 3

As someone who lives in what's essentially the capital of the world for that particular style of music, let's just say that would be an . . . interesting combination. I actually wouldn't be against something in the style of "old" country music like Johnny Cash, Don Williams, etc. (AKA the music my dad listens to). Even something that's a rock-country fusion like the Eagles would be pretty cool, and I think they in particular could be a great inspiration. That would also introduce a new way of songwriting for the guys, as songs from Cash and the Eagles tend to tell concrete, linear stories. See "One Piece at a Time," "I Hung My Head," "Life in the Fast Lane," and "Hotel California."

But please Oh God Almighty DO NOT let them start getting inspiration from modern country songs :cold_sweat:

Totally agree. Til Kingdom Come style would be fine, though. We know they are capable.

I also would like the best parts of AROBTTH - Clocks, GPASUYF, and The Scientist (the rest is rubbish that drags on TBH)

I respect Coldplay fans who admit they despise a handful of Coldplay songs.

But you cannot tell me Daylight or Politik or Amsterdam is "rubbish that drags on".

• Like 7

A Coldplay + CHVRCHES/Lavren Mayberry (spelling intentional ;)) collaboration would be particularly interesting. Or Coldplay + Lianne La Havas!!! She's one of the most talented and unique musicians right now. Chris and she were great in this duet:

As has been mentioned, Coldplay certainly has a way of being inspired by other artists popular at the moment and imbuing their own (in my opinion) improvement/uniqueness/oomph such as Parachutes-Radiohead, AROBTTH-more Radiohead/Oasis/U2, and more recently ASFOS-recent EDM, SJLT-literally the Chainsmokers. I'm not really sure where contemporary music is going next though, so your guess is as good as mine. ;)

In terms of unexplored directions that I could see the band going:

-I've probably said this before, but psychadelic rock with extended jam-outs. Up&Up is a step in this direction, and live performances of GPASUYF are very rocky, but no Coldplay song has facilitated an endless Jonny solo the way that say, Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd lets David Gilmore solo for 10 minutes.

-80s electropop, sort of how CHVRCHES is inspired by artists like Depeche Mode, Gary Numan. We almost got a taste of this with Another's Arms.

-Dubstep/dubstep-inspired pop, though Muse already did this with the 2nd Law.

-Americana/folk/country. The slide guitar on Hypnotised is VERY reminiscent of pedal steel guitar as would be heard in a lot of country music (though that song is dressed up in a more AROBTTH-era piano/drum/bass-scape plus a lot of strings and electronic backing similar to True Love, which I appreciate). This makes me think they could recreate some of those sounds. But still, as the last few posters have noted, Coldplay could certainly branch out along the lines of Til Kingdom Come, Now My Feet Won't Touch the Ground, the Goldrush, Green Eyes. I could see them doing something like Jon Mayer's "Born and Raised" album, which is very Americana-inspired. Or maybe even a Mumford and Sons style thing (ironically M+S's 3rd album is a bit Coldplay-like).

-Jonny Goes Jazz! But really, a bluesy/jazzy album could be interesting. Something like Esperanza Spalding could be neat!!!

And even within this "acoustic album" thing we throw around, that could mean so many things. Til Kingdom Come is a very different song from We Never Change is a very different song from UATW is very different from Oceans, etc. It'd be a cool direction to go, I just don't know what the product would be!

I respect Coldplay fans who admit they despise a handful of Coldplay songs.

But you cannot tell me Daylight or Politik or Amsterdam is "rubbish that drags on".

A Whisper and Warning Sign sort of drag on and could easily have been B-sides, IMO.

• Like 3

^Going off of the fact that Coldplay kind of base their albums off of what's popular at the time, I could totally see them doing either

a)Psychedelic Tame Impala/MGMT. It's very emotional music that incorporates new-age sounds that would totally suit Coldplay.

b) Americana/folk- Mumford & Sons, Lumineers, The National, Wilco, John Mayer are all people who have been really hot of late (last five years or so) with this type of music. Coldplay could totally pull it off, and it would probably sounding a bit like deep tracks from AROBTTH+Til Kingdom Come.

I can't really see what other direction Coldplay taking into account the 7 albums they already made, and these two ideas. I don't see Coldplay going Kid A on us and laying their soul on the line to make something risky, but Chris said they were only going to full of surprises from here on out, so who knows?

Although Chris' idea of a surprise is probably a kitten jumping out of a bush.

• Like 3

As an aside from people mentioning them doing a folk/Americana album-

If you love Coldplay and love these newer folky bands like people have mentioned, you should totally check out this little known band called Parsonsfield. They are definitely a mix between the 2, and I'm sure you will love their music. Some very deep and emotional stuff along with upbeat Americana/folk rock. Definitely check out their last album-Blooming Through The Black.

They had a song featured on The Walking Dead, although I don't think it's their best, but it's still very good.

• Like 3

I'm on that Americana/Folk train. Was actually at a brewery last night that was playing lots of modern folk, americana, etc. and Swallowed By The Sea came on fitting right in. Here's why now is the right time:

1. Maybe they aren't in the mood for recording/touring a whole new album cycle.

2. They could just record some old songs that they never put to record acoustically.

3. It would be true to Chris' word about this being a start of a new chapter full of surprises.

4. Critics and Music media would eat it up after AHFOD's lukewarm reception

5. A Moon Shaped Pool was basically an acoustic album and a lot of fans consider it their best.

BRING OUT THE ACOUSTIC GUITARS, THE KICKDRUM, THE XYLOPHONES, THE ACCORDIANS, THE VIOLINS, THE MANDOLIN

• Like 2

I'm on that Americana/Folk train. Was actually at a brewery last night that was playing lots of modern folk, americana, etc. and Swallowed By The Sea came on fitting right in. Here's why now is the right time:

1. Maybe they aren't in the mood for recording/touring a whole new album cycle.

2. They could just record some old songs that they never put to record acoustically.

3. It would be true to Chris' word about this being a start of a new chapter full of surprises.

4. Critics and Music media would eat it up after AHFOD's lukewarm reception

5. A Moon Shaped Pool was basically an acoustic album and a lot of fans consider it their best.

BRING OUT THE ACOUSTIC GUITARS, THE KICKDRUM, THE XYLOPHONES, THE ACCORDIANS, THE VIOLINS, THE MANDOLIN

No accordions please, reed organs are cool though.
  • Like 1

you cannot tell me Daylight or Politik or Amsterdam is "rubbish that drags on".

okay okay okay so maybe I was exaggerating the 'AROBTTH being garbage dragging on', apart from my personal favorites from the album like Clocks. I did kind of lump In My Place in that which of course is not too bad of a song in itself, and Politik certainly grabs your attention. What I was meant to say instead of that harshly sweeping statement was it's difficult for me to listen to these songs knowing that Coldplay have done better. While songs like Daylight are alright in themselves, it doesn't keep me entertained enough to listen to the song in their entirety, or I start to wonder what the next song is. (Note: I find A Whisper is better than Daylight) In fact, I feel the same way about X & Y - yes it has cool hits like Talk, Fix You, and Speed Of Sound, but I find Coldplay loses their definition in most of other songs on the album (except Til Kingdom Come, Swallowed in the Sea and Square One) just to be rock.

The best part of Coldplay is from Viva - GS, and AHFOD has a lot of good bangers but I know songs like Fun and X Marks the Spot were mistakes musically wise lets be honest.

Anyway, my opinion. Don't let what my 18 year old brain thinks influence yours.

I see there is a folk/Americana or psychedelic theme being predicted on this thread. I'm definitely for psychedelic, shoe gazing, hypnotic rhythm, whatever you want to call it. It's what Coldplay do best. That Sept 1st date is something I doubt highly also but we'll see.

• Like 1

Not to get anyone's hopes up, like I did.

This is Wikipedia, so take it with a VERY small grain of salt.

But if you look at their discography section, this is what it reads.

Discography[edit]

Main articles: Coldplay discography and List of songs recorded by Coldplay

...o_O

I'm sure it's nothing and will be fixed soon.

Buuuuuuuuut, Chris said they will only be full of surprises AND, they have never gone more than 3 calendar years without releasing a full length studio album.

• Like 3

Not to get anyone's hopes up, like I did.

This is Wikipedia, so take it with a VERY small grain of salt.

But if you look at their discography section, this is what it reads.

Discography[edit]

Main articles: Coldplay discography and List of songs recorded by Coldplay

...o_O

I'm sure it's nothing and will be fixed soon.

Buuuuuuuuut, Chris said they will only be full of surprises AND, they have never gone more than 3 calendar years without releasing a full length studio album.

Can it be, TO BE ANNOUCENED?

Because the name wasnt annoucened but we know it will be released this year (im talking about "live 2017")

BUT the live 2003,2012 and 2014 arent there so its weird if its "live 2017"they are talking about.

Because the name wasnt annoucened but we know it will be released this year (im talking about "live 2017")

BUT the live 2003,2012 and 2014 arent there so its weird if its "live 2017"they are talking about.

Coldplay- The Boring Album

Coming 2018

There are 3 possibilities.

1- Someone is trolling the rest of us Coldplay fans

2- Someone edited it, accidentally putting the forthcoming live album under their discography.

3- HOLY SH*T WE'RE GETTING AN ALBUM THIS YEAR.

My guess is #2.

• Like 1

It means To Be Announced but this was just written by somebody on Wikipedia. Anyone can edit Wikipedia, there is no way there will be a new album this year.

Speaking of which, I recently looked up the List Of All Songs Recorded By Coldplay page on Wikipedia and someone had added some non-existant "unreleased" songs with made-up, nonsensical explanations. Just checked and it's still there. These things should get edited out...

Example: "Bullets point towards me" 2002 A Rush of Blood to the Head A cassette with the song was sold in Spotify. (lol, what ???)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_recorded_by_Coldplay#Unreleased_songs

• Like 1