✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

stephen

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

This poll is closed to new votes

I can deal with the wait. This whole tour and the hype was already big enough that I can almost feel the band slumping over in exhaustion. And the more time they have the more they can polish their work and not have under or overproduced songs.

I listened to one radio interview from Guy (posted on another thread) and found it interesting how they ended up having to "rewrite" a large chunk of AROBTTH after listening to it after weeks. It must have been frustrating but very satisfying in the end. I wonder how critical they were on themselves on AHFOD and how long it truly took them to write it. If they didn't do it as much on LP7, I hope they can really dig into refining the quality, even going through a rewriting process (without tearing themselves apart completely) and getting a new set of ears and standards to make something different this time around. I wish they would record an entire jam session or something or have a good video log for us to get a better scoop of what their process is. A good magician is one that actually tells us how he does his tricks.

• Like 4

My dream would be more psychadelic Pink Floyd-ish stuff. Ie lots of songs like Moving to Mars, AICTAIY, Hypnotised. I wouldn't mind more songs like Up&Up. Even songs like Magic I quite like, just because it so heavily features another member of the band like Guy.

I'm keeping an open mind certainly. :) I think the band makes the music they want to make because they want, regardless of record deals or anything else at this point. I think Stargate wasn't the best decision, but I can see why they did it.

• Like 11

Anyone think Coldplay would ever consider expanding their band arrangement to include more than just a Davide Rossi accompaniment from time to time? Like a full on orchestral arrangement for some songs and actually go on tour with a philharmonic orchestra and/or choir or something similar? At least a horn section to accompany selected songs on a new album and perhaps reconfigure some existing songs for a new tour? Maybe this idea is jumping the gun a bit and would be held for phase 3 or 4 when they're old and gray.

At the end of the day the band certainly has any of a number of options to reinvent themselves or pivot into a new chapter. It will be interesting to see where they go.

• Like 1

^ They've done this a few times for live performances, I believe. Once for their performance of Politik at the 2003(?) Grammys and once for Strawberry Swing at the ParaOlympic Games in London. There may be a few others here and there I'm missing, but it would be cool to have them bring something like that more fully into the studio. We got hints of it on Viva with the strings and horns!

I think the band might connect with a t.v. station to do some kind of new talent show. Chris has been associated with X FACTOR more than once. They could promote their own new records in this way. If they do this kind of thing I'm sure it would be original and better than X Factor.

Something different is being planned with contracts already signed, as bands in their position have to plan at least a couple of years ahead.

^ They've done this a few times for live performances, I believe. Once for their performance of Politik at the 2003(?) Grammys and once for Strawberry Swing at the ParaOlympic Games in London. There may be a few others here and there I'm missing, but it would be cool to have them bring something like that more fully into the studio. We got hints of it on Viva with the strings and horns!

Wow, why is this the first time I'm seeing this performance? It was simply outstanding. The band absolutely needs to invest in more of this sort of thing for themselves for goodness sake. How intense was this all around? Each band member was rocking this big time and the orchestra certainly brought a whole new welcome dimension to the performance. Absolutely loved it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuJblxS6ij0

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuJblxS6ij0

• Like 1

Oh dear, honestly that kind of thing is one of the last things I wanna see Coldplay associated with : unamused:...fortunately, I don't think this will ever happen.

That's what I would have said back in 2010, until Rihanna.... (Oh and Big Sean, and X-Factor, Beyonce, and X-Marks the Spot)

• Like 2

I am very confident to say that the next release of Coldplay will be a Greatest Hits album that might include a couple of new songs. I mean it would make perfect sense seeing where they are right now and seeing what their record label do with other artists, it would be an obvious move.

• Like 4

I mean lets be real here, what ever they do, it will be better than most of the crap we see these days in the world of pop/rock.

I think the fear some have been having though is that Coldplay are trending towards the 'crap we see these days in the world of pop/rock'. I'm paraphrasing what I perceive to be the opinion of the other side.

Personally, I'm more likely to give them a chance due to history. I was like that with the new Noel Gallagher album as well. To be honest, I heard the first single and if it was anyone else, I wouldve tossed it in the bin, but I gave it more chances just 'cause its Noel. I've been trying to figure out why, but my best guess is that I put a lot of stock in the 'familiarity' of the singer's voice. I'm just so accustomed to Chris and Noel singing that whatever they sing, i'm buying it at this point. I don't know what that says about me as a music fan and as a customer, but I also don't care. It sounds good to me, it's my money, i'm happily paying for it.

• Like 6

I am very confident to say that the next release of Coldplay will be a Greatest Hits album that might include a couple of new songs. I mean it would make perfect sense seeing where they are right now and seeing what their record label do with other artists, it would be an obvious move.

Haven't the guys said they don't plan on ever releasing a greatest hits album because they don't want to make fans pay for the songs twice?

• Like 1

Haven't the guys said they don't plan on ever releasing a greatest hits album because they don't want to make fans pay for the songs twice?

The label can release a greatest hits without their consent. This is not how music industry and label contracts work.

I love how he said "Everything is possible" because that reminded me of the end of the True Love video, which I believe was one of the first hints towards the AHFOD era!

Just some thoughts in line with these - one thing I noticed that is intriguing is that Believe in Love is capitalized in the text below the Believe In Love video, which is posted by the Coldplay Official account on YouTube as shown here (underlined by me):

"Our friends. This is the end of A Head Full Of Dreams Tour, back where it all began, Buenos Aires. Thankyou everybody all around the world, at home and abroad, for being the best part of our show. For being the music and for keeping your and our heads full of dreams. This was our first chapter. From now on we’ll only be full of surprises. We love you. We’re grateful for all of you, with all of our hearts. We exist for and because of you. Goodnight, good afternoon, good morning wherever you are in the world. God bless you all. Be kind to each other. We’re in this together. We’re one big band. Everything is possible, if you never give up. And if you Believe in Love."

I don't see any reason as to why this should be capitalized, other than for the fact that it might represent a future song or title for an album possibly? It definitely fits with the message the band has been helping to spread throughout the entire AHFOD tour, and it also seems to fit with a lot of the songs on Kaleidoscope.

The other thing is the background music the band is playing throughout Chris's entire speech sounds somewhat similar to the first 30 seconds of Hypnotised (EP Mix), which might be foreshadowing something new... If one were to somehow put those small bell-type sounds in with this background music the band is playing, I can see it as being those first 30 seconds from Hypnotised (EP Mix)... The more I listen, the more I can kind of hear those actual bell sounds in the actual video, unless its just all in my head...

Coldplay could go in a million different directions for their next project because they are very versatile.

I think a great move would be try to create an album that is more about sound and atmosphere, and perhaps Chris tries different things with his voice. I really don't want them to imitate another band's move (as we are all sick of those accusations), but Radiohead did a similar thing with Kid A. Thom Yorke said he tried to create something where his voice was more of a sound and feeling than a lead vocal with defined lyrics.

Coldplay showed something like this with Midnight. Also I think the atmosphere of a song like X&Y has very strong visuals and a floatiness to it. I think Midnight and X&Y (I'm sure there are others) are songs that stick out to me like songs that would be great for when you're tripping on acid (not that I know what that feels like). Birds has that sort of feeling to it.

I guess it's hard to describe what I'm saying. But basically, I think Coldplay could create a great psychedelic/Tame Impala-ish album. Especially since Chris has become so spiritual lately. Lol

I guess the album X&Y was striving for something like this, but they never really got what they set out to achieve (even though I love the album).

Hopefully we get something where Chris scales back his cheesy lyrics, and uses much more sparsity...

I also think Believe in Love could actually fit as a theme for a type of new psychedelic album if they were to be planning one...

Anyway, sad to see AFHOD at the end of its era but happy that Coldplay still isn't done!!!! Can't wait for the new additions to their amazing music!!!

• Like 1