✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

stephen

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

This poll is closed to new votes

An interview with Dave Holmes and Phil Harvey came out today

They were asked about the future of Coldplay...

"We’ll be taking a moment to catch our breath. We won’t be touring again until 2021 at the earliest. We need to take a break and come back with something really special."

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/they-played-a-tiny-cafe-there-were-four-people-in-the-audience/

Until 2021? [emoji22]

Thats a long time, i hope they come to Portugal next tour, i just want to attend one show god damn it *cries*

• Like 5

@guy

Well, you seem to be counting from the album release, not the end of the tour which makes brings you to 6 years, which makes it sound so much longer than it really is!

On top of that, the band can release the album first and tour later. From their history, they've toured before, after and simultaneously with the album release month so its hard to say how they'll do it for era 8. However, the quickest, realistic timeframe is they take a bit of a longer hiatus than their usual 18 months off to record, release it 6 months before they start the tour (which they've done before) and hopefully that will bring us to 2021 a bit more comfortably.

• Like 1

True.

But they've never gone more than 3 calendar years without a release.

Also, whenever Coldplay say something will happen in "at least" a certain number years, you always have to add time to that unfortunately haha.

But does anyone know Parlophone's say in the matter in terms of album release time? Coldplay is one of Parlophone's huge money makers. I can imagine they are chomping at the bit for a release sooner rather than later, especially while the lads are relatively young.

• Like 1

Yeah kind of a long break, but man do they deserve it. I like the idea someone else had of them releasing a small stripped back acoustic record and not touring that. Wasn't that what MX and AHFOD were both originally going to be? That would be pretty cool.

Also a side note, is Atlas Project officially done now? I can find them on Twitter, but there are no tweets.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Coldplaying mobile app

• Like 1

Also a side note, is Atlas Project officially done now? I can find them on Twitter, but there are no tweets.

oh wow, youre right, cant find them either...their facebook page is still up. On it, they have a link to their twitter and when you click it, it says account suspended.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I read it but Jesus! Looks like they're doing exactly what I hoped for these past ten years! The band are finally taking a properly long hiatus and I can assure you the longer they take the better their output will be (potentially), once they decide to release something. Only in the next couple of years can they step back and evaluate their music and status in the grand scheme of things, and do so without the excitement and bias that comes after all these years touring and selling millions of records.

• Like 9

The news are very disappointing. Although, I acknowledge that a 2021 tour doesn't mean we won't have anything in between. Maybe this long hiatus could make the difference and upgrade their music quality and originality. If there is such a big gap between tours I greatly hope for an amazing documentary-live DVD later this year to properly conclude this first 7 LP cycle of the band.

• Like 2

There is always a chance their next album will appear in late 2019 or early 2020 before Grammys and Brit Awards (big promo for them).

I don't see much likely that we would have another album after 5 years since the previous one (AHFOD late 2015 -> LP8 late 2020?), it's a loooonng time & the band doesn't last so long without music - they are very creative types.

There's also the chances he lied a little in the interview - Chris said there will be lot of surprises now from them, I don't know how you - but I don't trust them very much this long pause.

It's simple, they need to do something risky next. But do they have the balls to do that?

They've achieved all they can achieve, musically. It's time for them to challenge preconceptions about the band. Can they step away and show that they are far superior, creatively and musically, than all the other artists we hear on the radio everyday? Because the last album, it felt like they were trying to stay relevant by creating safe, pop rock music rather than create their own relevancy and step outside the box.

• Like 9

a lot of people didn't like the fact they have a dance song with The Chainsmokers ... but see how much views on YouTube the song has versus other songs from Kaleidoscope EP or A Head Full of Dreams.

Something Just Like This ft. Chainsmokers - 1.000.000.000 views

A L I E N S - 10.000.000 views

Hypnotised - 40.000.000 views

Miracles (Someone Special) ft. Big Sean - 40.000.000 views

All I Can Think About Is You - 24.000.000 views

A Head Full of Dreams - 30.000.000 views

Up & Up - 150.000.000 views

Birds - 14.000.000 views

Everglow - 22.000.000 views

SJLT has success as 8-10 other songs combined from that era

I think they will continue with these collaborations (Hymn for the Weekend ft. Beyoncé was also successful)

a lot of people didn't like the fact they have a dance song with The Chainsmokers ... but see how much views on YouTube the song has versus other songs from Kaleidoscope EP or A Head Full of Dreams.

But Youtube clicks don't equal quality content (on the contrary, you could oftentimes argue more of an inverse correlation :joy:)

Of course, from a commercial viewpoint that doesn't matter.

• Like 6

The 2021 news doesn't mean much. First of all, that could be totally tentative. Second of all, it doesn't mean they won't release music before hand.

Remember that Ghost Stories technically didn't get a proper tour, but that was an era that gave us 12 great tracks! Like others have said 2021 might imply that we get a more commercial, big sounding Coldplay release around 2020. But they could release an acoustic EP or album and maybe some old B-sides or do a big rerelease or some collabs. Who knows. With Chris always writing, something has to come.

• Like 7

I'm hooked on this idea of a retro dream pop influenced album...but then I sometimes want them to do something edgy and rockish in a Coldplay way. I love how they crank up the rock style on God Put a Smile Upon your Face in some of their live shows.

• Like 7

I dunno if this interview was posted on the forum already; I did a quick check and couldn't find it, so I'm assuming that it hasn't been posted yet. But this is a recent interview with Dave Holmes and Phil Harvey, where Phil mentions that they are taking a break and won't be touring again until 2021 at least, when apparently they want to come up with something really special. Phil also mentions in the interview that they're going to stay with Parlophone for a while. Apart from that, it's quite a nice interview to read too.

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/they-played-a-tiny-cafe-there-were-four-people-in-the-audience/

• Like 1