✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Random Coldplay thoughts...

alyssa

i'm more confident in that grouping because it came more from the band than fan speculation, but at least our conclusion is the same :D

oh yeah, like for sure it's a trilogy, but when i try to think of why?? it seems like it has nothing to do with the music or themes of the albums and more about the band themselves, if that makes sense. but of course that IS tied to the music in some way, because the split with VLVODAAHF came with a change in the band's outlook on how they make music, and GS/AHFOD came from a very personal change in Chris's life obviously. so i guess that's why i'd believe it if LP8 starts something new again :D

• Like 1

S/AHFOD came from a very personal change in Chris's life obviously. so i guess that's why i'd believe it if LP8 starts something new again

ah, for me, I believe LP8 will be a new thing because we kept hearing 6+7 was light and dark, silver and blue vs rainbow, sad vs happy, and it was always a binary thing, meaning, only TWO.

• Like 2

Hi. Shreya said...... "during the live stream the voting process of British Video opened and Caspar lee was the host during the breaks on the youtube lvestream... So to keep us locked in he showed us all the nominees for the catergory and the first one was COLDPLAY GetFileAttachment?id=AQMkADAwATNiZmYAZC04YTJhLTAzYmEtMDACLTAwCgBGAAADND2WDL%2BKW0qLHkkyXM5kLAcADAeuqg7G%2Bk2MRbdmP4SOswABJ60UuwAAAAwHrqoOxvpNjEW3Zj%2BEjrMAATsvIK8AAAABEgAQABqvxj5IN2xEmi8Ky7pHE%2FY%3D&X-OWA-CANARY=_w_mcWjKWkmrSBl5MMjdF0AQdWZ_XtQYNNxk_kL0JCuXI7bCtf-XEmxZ7rn7zN0VUYWBQZSm2n8.&token=c90877c5-2815-4063-9ac4-78eb364f629b&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1&isImagePreview=TrueGetFileAttachment?id=AQMkADAwATNiZmYAZC04YTJhLTAzYmEtMDACLTAwCgBGAAADND2WDL%2BKW0qLHkkyXM5kLAcADAeuqg7G%2Bk2MRbdmP4SOswABJ60UuwAAAAwHrqoOxvpNjEW3Zj%2BEjrMAATsvIK8AAAABEgAQABqvxj5IN2xEmi8Ky7pHE%2FY%3D&X-OWA-CANARY=_w_mcWjKWkmrSBl5MMjdF0AQdWZ_XtQYNNxk_kL0JCuXI7bCtf-XEmxZ7rn7zN0VUYWBQZSm2n8.&token=c90877c5-2815-4063-9ac4-78eb364f629b&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1&isImagePreview=TrueGetFileAttachment?id=AQMkADAwATNiZmYAZC04YTJhLTAzYmEtMDACLTAwCgBGAAADND2WDL%2BKW0qLHkkyXM5kLAcADAeuqg7G%2Bk2MRbdmP4SOswABJ60UuwAAAAwHrqoOxvpNjEW3Zj%2BEjrMAATsvIK8AAAABEgAQABqvxj5IN2xEmi8Ky7pHE%2FY%3D&X-OWA-CANARY=_w_mcWjKWkmrSBl5MMjdF0AQdWZ_XtQYNNxk_kL0JCuXI7bCtf-XEmxZ7rn7zN0VUYWBQZSm2n8.&token=c90877c5-2815-4063-9ac4-78eb364f629b&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1&isImagePreview=TrueGetFileAttachment?id=AQMkADAwATNiZmYAZC04YTJhLTAzYmEtMDACLTAwCgBGAAADND2WDL%2BKW0qLHkkyXM5kLAcADAeuqg7G%2Bk2MRbdmP4SOswABJ60UuwAAAAwHrqoOxvpNjEW3Zj%2BEjrMAATsvIK8AAAABEgAQABqvxj5IN2xEmi8Ky7pHE%2FY%3D&X-OWA-CANARY=_w_mcWjKWkmrSBl5MMjdF0AQdWZ_XtQYNNxk_kL0JCuXI7bCtf-XEmxZ7rn7zN0VUYWBQZSm2n8.&token=c90877c5-2815-4063-9ac4-78eb364f629b&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1&isImagePreview=TrueGetFileAttachment?id=AQMkADAwATNiZmYAZC04YTJhLTAzYmEtMDACLTAwCgBGAAADND2WDL%2BKW0qLHkkyXM5kLAcADAeuqg7G%2Bk2MRbdmP4SOswABJ60UuwAAAAwHrqoOxvpNjEW3Zj%2BEjrMAATsvIK8AAAABEgAQABqvxj5IN2xEmi8Ky7pHE%2FY%3D&X-OWA-CANARY=_w_mcWjKWkmrSBl5MMjdF0AQdWZ_XtQYNNxk_kL0JCuXI7bCtf-XEmxZ7rn7zN0VUYWBQZSm2n8.&token=c90877c5-2815-4063-9ac4-78eb364f629b&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1&isImagePreview=True so he played a bit of HFTW and then read out some tweets as to why we love Coldplay and yours was one of them!! "

So it must have been only on certain streams.

Thanks a million for your comment on age. That's nice ! I think people can put expectations on certain ages... and I like to think I don't fit into mine.( 28 in my head)

I was watching it live and I saw your tweet and it made me so unbelievably happy :laughing:

The release of Hypnotised was such a shock for me... I got the notification about it while doing maths homework at school and I couldn't stop shaking afterwards... Also my hands were so cold (so cold, so cold :p) and my friend laughed at my fangirlyness :/// Anyway, the next lesson was German (which I suck at) and our teacher decided to make a quick listening and reading test. The last time she did that I got an E so I wasn't particularly happy. But when she checked our results it turned out that I didn't make any mistakes and I got 2 A's :joy: and my teacher was shocked too hahahah

I guess it was because of the song ;)

btw. hi everyone, it feels like an eternity since I last posted

• Like 6

Had a legit shower thought not too long ago. Was thinking about the LPs and their relation to one another and what that means for LP8 (lol, i know).

So, its pretty accepted by fans (and the band themselves) that the first 3 were a trilogy. I see Viva and MX being standalones with no real connection to each other or the other LPs. However, I do see a connection between GS and Dreams with the band doing the 'light and dark' theme, or at least, what i interpret as a 'light and dark' theme.

So the grouping in my mind is: LP1-2-3 LP4 LP5 LP6+7

Does this mean we're moving into a completely new direction for LP8 or did I just imagine the connection between LP6+7 and we should expect another trilogy for LP6+7-8? I know i'd prefer to have LP8 be totally different, but who knows.

I like that grouping, it makes sense to me, though I might group Viva and MX together in some ways.... My theory has always been a bit different though, ever since Chris said AHFOD is the "final chapter" album. However, if LP8 sees Coldplay continue in a pop, Chris driven direction, then I will agree with you that albums 6,7,8 are a trilogy.

LP1-LP3: The first trilogy with each album adding more lavish production to each. This was the phase where Coldplay went from small band to biggest in the world and each album got bigger and more ambitious. They were all still under 30 years old, and by X&Y were both huge yet widely criticized.

LP4- VIVA The most unique album they have done, the most layered and instrumentally dense. Chris was banned from the studio by Eno. They clearly were out to not only mix up their style/influences, but to prove something. Some people called them pretentious in this era, but the art was remarkable for pop music, I thought.

LP5-LP7: The band stops caring what people think and go for it. MX shared many characteristics with Viva sonically, but also reflects X&Y. Chris was back to making massive stadium rock songs with cheeseball lyrics. GS was only more pop driven, with R&B influences and EDM. Finally Coldplay went all out with not giving a damn with AHFOD by featuring Beyonce, disco, Noel Gallagher, spoken word, Obama. Due to their proximity in time, GS and AHFOD are a light/dark pairing KIND OF, but the production on AHFOD is markedly different with Stargate.

If there is one trend I think that is most prevalent with the latest albums, its that Chris has become a larger influencer of the band, imo. I recall an interview with Chris saying MX was originally acoustic and Charlie Brown was on an accordion (sounds Viva), but the band said "screw it, lets do what WE want to do." So they brought on Rihanna, wrote Paradise, titled a song Every Teardrop is a Waterfall--Those are Chris things to me. Chris was the one who brought Avicii on board for ASFOS and for some reasons Will didn't veto it in the end. Do you think Guy and Will were interested in a Tove Lo feature? Maybe, but that song was forgettable along with Tove Lo's career. Recently we found out that Chris actually makes 40 percent of band profits, not a quarter as reported pre-Viva. Just some thoughts. I don't think Chris will ever go solo, but it seems the rest of the band has stopped caring as much. They performed with Chainsmokers a few weeks ago, after all.

Edit: I realize this has all been said before, sorry for the echo chamber.

• Like 5

If there is one trend I think that is most prevalent with the latest albums, its that Chris has become a larger influencer of the band, imo. I recall an interview with Chris saying MX was originally acoustic and Charlie Brown was on an accordion (sounds Viva), but the band said "screw it, lets do what WE want to do." So they brought on Rihanna, wrote Paradise, titled a song Every Teardrop is a Waterfall--Those are Chris things to me. Chris was the one who brought Avicii on board for ASFOS and for some reasons Will didn't veto it in the end. Do you think Guy and Will were interested in a Tove Lo feature? Maybe, but that song was forgettable along with Tove Lo's career. Recently we found out that Chris actually makes 40 percent of band profits, not a quarter as reported pre-Viva. Just some thoughts. I don't think Chris will ever go solo, but it seems the rest of the band has stopped caring as much. They performed with Chainsmokers a few weeks ago, after all.

it's interesting to think about this, because certainly a lot of the band's recent style aligns with the music and artists that Chris has been publicly and primarily praising, but it's not as if he had such a small influence before - after all, that's WHY he got kicked out of the studio by Eno. there's a quote i think from Eno about how Chris would often come in with fully formed songs. sometimes i wonder how much their process has really changed since then or if perhaps over the past ten years they've reverted back to some old ways of doing things. old habits die hard, right? :P

could be Chris's major influence now is that shift in perspective from caring too much about what other people think to caring less, maybe too little...

and tbh i get the feeling that none of them were really interested in working with Tove Lo because they've seem to have forgotten that song even exists :P

• Like 2

I was watching it live and I saw your tweet and it made me so unbelievably happy :laughing:

The release of Hypnotised was such a shock for me... I got the notification about it while doing maths homework at school and I couldn't stop shaking afterwards... Also my hands were so cold (so cold, so cold :p) and my friend laughed at my fangirlyness :/// Anyway, the next lesson was German (which I suck at) and our teacher decided to make a quick listening and reading test. The last time she did that I got an E so I wasn't particularly happy. But when she checked our results it turned out that I didn't make any mistakes and I got 2 A's :joy: and my teacher was shocked too hahahah

I guess it was because of the song ;)

btw. hi everyone, it feels like an eternity since I last posted

Haha - that's lovely that someone else saw my tweet !! My fame is spreading....LOL :grinning: Oh - well done with your 2 A s ! Definitely the Coldplay effect.

• Like 3

and tbh i get the feeling that none of them were really interested in working with Tove Lo because they've seem to have forgotten that song even exists :p

they need to add Fun to the setlist to refresh it in the next gig...thats...THIS MONTH, HOLY S***

• Like 3

it's interesting to think about this, because certainly a lot of the band's recent style aligns with the music and artists that Chris has been publicly and primarily praising, but it's not as if he had such a small influence before - after all, that's WHY he got kicked out of the studio by Eno. there's a quote i think from Eno about how Chris would often come in with fully formed songs. sometimes i wonder how much their process has really changed since then or if perhaps over the past ten years they've reverted back to some old ways of doing things. old habits die hard, right? :p

could be Chris's major influence now is that shift in perspective from caring too much about what other people think to caring less, maybe too little...

and tbh i get the feeling that none of them were really interested in working with Tove Lo because they've seem to have forgotten that song even exists :p

Its tough to know, really. In recent interviews it seems the band agrees that they are making music together more than ever. Jonny's riff on AOAL, Guy and the bass on Magic. I don't know. We Oldplayer's tend to think that Chris is the one who likes pop music too much, but maybe Guy and Will are finally open to doing just about anything. But yeah, I feel like maybe they should care more about what they pursue. I always used to think that the more Coldplay music the better, regardless, but after XMTS and Chainsmokers, ehhhhhh not so sure

• Like 2

every time i eat a banana and start burping i think about that concert where Chris did the same and then apologized for it halfway through :P

I can't even stand the smell of them without feeling sick! Maybe it's an INFP allergy[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

it's funny because i feel like the collection of the first three albums by both us and the band is more of an arbitrary trilogy than anything else, just combined because of shared pre-VLVODAAHF status :p then to me definitely VLVODAAHF is its own thing. MX felt like the start of another set, but then was disrupted by GS and AHFOD, which are definitely a set. so i think that maybe LP8 would be separate from that also, like MX, the beginning of a new phase. perhaps even more so now that the next album will most likely come after all of the guys have hit 40...

It makes sense to me, given that Chris keeps saying that they will keep making music but not in the traditional traditional sense of albums. I wonder if they are thinking of going all streaming? Hope not.

I can't even stand the smell of them without feeling sick! Maybe it's an INFP allergy[emoji23]

Same here ! I can only really fresh ones and then have to discard the peel immediately. I hate it when people leave ripe bananas or their banana peel lying around at work, can't stand the smell...

• Like 1

Random thought: Isn't it both scary and fascinating how intensely music can sometimes transport you back to the times, places and scenes where you used to hear it either for the first time, or have been listening to it a lot ?

Particularly music you haven't listened to in a while. Tried to listen to AHFOD (the album) this morning and every song took me back to a particular place, scene and time.

• Like 1

Same here ! I can only really fresh ones and then have to discard the peel immediately. I hate it when people leave ripe bananas or their banana peel lying around at work, can't stand the smell...

that's so funny, i actually do love bananas but i prefer them to be a little over ripe because if they're not ripe enough they give me stomach pain. i guess INFPs and bananas really don't mix too well :joy:

• Like 2

Hypnotised's lyrics:

38daa5626357339efa5b17e2b382c2fd.jpg

Remind me of AHFOD's lyrics:

"Saying it's true

It's not what it seems

Leave your broken windows open

And in the light just streams"

Forgive me for going off-topic, but I couldn't help but notice...ironically, this Sofia girl who posted the lyrics is the same person who wrote those frankly racist Facebook comments that have been the among the subjects of discussion in that thread thread (link goes to screenshot of her comments): https://coldplaying.com/forum/index.php?threads/coldplay-in-israel.108397/page-4#post-5869124

:(

Ghost Stories, I think at least, is actually such an amazing album. Like oldplayers probably disagree but the album just has this vibe to it. I think I don't listen to it as much as it deserves because it is just too depressing :p

Always In My Head is the perfect marriage of new and old coldplay to me, incredible song. Reminds me they can find peace between the two.

• Like 2