✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall (OUT THIS FRI(ROW)/SAT (UK)!!) - [Walking Man and Videos + GIFs + Scre

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So are the past 20 pages disagreements/fights or are there any actual developments in the single/album releases? (I know the single will be out friday :) )

Yeah, don't even bother really with the past 20 pages or so (although there is a nice little exchange with Debs!). I gave up after all the bickering that was going on, thinking there might be actual useful information with the amount of posts in this thread!

Bickering isn't going to change anything - they are going to release what they release and the style, etc. is already chosen. Some will like, some will hate. Just go along with the ride people and be positive. We've waited far to long for this new material to waste time bitching about something that hasn't even been released yet! :facepalm:

I completely understand this type of point of view :)

But for me, we know the band has had a hard time keeping together over the years. They've only managed it by almost breaking up on a number of occasions, and then at last coming together stronger and more united than before.

A large part of that seems to have been because they found a way to bond more strongly. In the Viva era it's so obvious how they did it - the costumes, the theme, the vision, the 'the whole world is against us let's show them what we can do!' spirit.

And how did that turn out? Incredibly, if you ask me! It's not my favourite album of theirs, or my favourite tour in some senses. I preferred the vibe and setlists during ARoBtTH and even Twisted Logic slightly (I wasn't lucky enough to see them on Parachutes).

Did it do some things better than previous tours? You betcha - it did a lot! It was more theatrical (in a good way), more cohesive, more varied, and much more consistent in quality. The boys looked like they were having the most fun ever since I first saw them in 2003. As far as I'm concerned they were enjoying it, for the first time, just as much as the crowd.

I pretty much hated Violet Hill the first twenty or thirty times I listened to it. It was too short, too different, too 'un-Coldplay'. Finally it broke through and I began to love it. Once I 'got' it I've loved it every single time I've heard it more and more, each time, and that never stops.

The Viva costumes? They made me sick at first - what nonsense was this? It was only seeing them live for the first couple of times - with the theme, their vision, their entourages' vision, their attitude, and their love for the music from everything they played all the way down to the clothes they wore - that everything fell into place.

And I absolutely loved it! The biggest band in my life just became an awful lot bigger in my eyes, even if some of the old songs were better than some of the new album.

Not much of VLV is 'classic' Coldplay to me now, though I still love it dearly and always will. 42, Violet Hill, DaAHF (live version), LiJ are standouts. The others all range from 'great' to 'very good'. There are no bum notes at all, for me. Lost was lots of fun live (and great for the mood!) LiT an incredible starter, and led on to the lovely LiTii, and Viva? Not my favourite song ever by them...again it took me many many listens to even accept it as - but when I did - oh boy!! And live? WOW...

Now we approach a new album. We have the guys again taking on a band identity with a group clothing theme. What did Viva teach me? Trust them on it! What else do I know? They might even not be together right now even making music if it wasn't for having this kind of band identity!

Lyrics? I don't care much. They've always been a mixed bag for me right from the band's start but they always fit the music, and never take away from it. More usually they add to it, greatly, and mostly you anyway would never have one without the other.

The artwork? I think it's cool enough, it's different from anything they've done before. Again, I'll trust them on it! Someone posted that street art shouldn't be done by anyone who's not working class. Perhaps that poster should get in touch with privately-educated Banksy and tell him that?! That's one of the most discriminatory things I've read recently, across a number of sites. And judging or even worrying about the music music based on artwork? I'm stunned.

I'm not aiming this post at anyone at all, and certainly not Chelsea whose post I quoted - it was just a starting-out point for me for a few thoughts :)

Everyone has a right to an opinion, everyone has a right to worry before the new music hits us. I'm just a bit surprised and sad that so many very negative views have been expressed. Perhaps - just a thought - that reflects more about the posters than the band (?)

Personally Coldplay have never let me down in the greater sense of things. Every album's brought new favourites. Every tour's been better, bigger, and brighter than the last. Every time I've worried about clothing or other such things they've proved me wrong, and themselves right.

And it's all happening soon! Bring it on I say, I'm ready for it all!!

:sunny:

that's a very good point you brought up about how it helps to unite them. i never thought about it that way. :wacko:

it seems to me like a lot of people who are against the outfits and such feel that way because they believe that it's, to use Chelsea's word, "gimmicky" and that it makes the band look like all they care about is being flashy and impressing people.

but i've never gotten that impression. i just feel like Coldplay always do what they do, because the want to do it and they think it will be fun or whatever, not because they think it'll get them more fans or money or attention. not to say they're selfish, of course; i believe they are very considerate of their current and prospective fans, but the decisions they make are primarily for themselves, if that makes sense.

so, kinda like what you said -- them against the world. haters gonna hate. :P

Yeah, don't even bother really with the past 20 pages or so (although there is a nice little exchange with Debs!). I gave up after all the bickering that was going on, thinking there might be actual useful information with the amount of posts in this thread!

Bickering isn't going to change anything - they are going to release what they release and the style, etc. is already chosen. Some will like, some will hate. Just go along with the ride people and be positive. We've waited far to long for this new material to waste time bitching about something that hasn't even been released yet! :facepalm:

:thumbsup: THIS ^ Everyone who heard the song last night at the private show, loved it. They said it was brilliant. So please, everyone who has doubts, JUST WAIT TIL FRIDAY!!!!

I think fair enough the shows have got to be big and brash - but lads just stick to casual gear yeh?

Unless they aregoing to dress up as bears ;)

The picture with a spray can is well a bit sad and very 80's.........

Am I right in thinking *all* of the lyrics from the teaser vids are from "Every Teardrop"...cause I absolutely adore some of them :wink3:

Interesting that guy said it was similar to "Viva"...I'm guessing that means it's midtempo/uptempo and not a ballad?

Guest howyousawtheworld
As much as they're pushing this graffiti motif, I highly doubt they're going to be singing ABOUT graffiti and spray paint. It's the same thing with VLV: they told us to expect a Latin flavor sort of thing (or the media did), and really it was present only in the undertones.

Like I say, I'm all for everyone doing what they want and what they think is best. It just doesn't gel well with my ideas about what I'd like the band to be focusing on. I think they'd benefit from everything being a bit more stripped down. The Crisis gigs were like that, and I thought that might have been the best I've ever seen them perform, and the most refreshing show from them I've ever seen.

But their costumes were related to the Viva theme and not in the sense of the Latin American influence which as you say was minimal to say the least but to be fair to Coldplay it wasn't something they stressed once the album was released. I think the Latin American theme was a possible theme which wasn't carried out. The Viva costumes were loosely based on those of the French Revolutionaries which was a direct theme of the song Viva La Vida (not to mention the Delacroix album art) which was about life and death which in turn was the theme of the whole of that album. So in my opinion they were fully justified in performing in such outfits. Not to mention it was a refreshing change of image from the usual grey and dull attire they wore.

What Lady Gaga and the rest do is perform on stage in costume that has no relevance what so ever to the "music" she is singing to. That is superficial. She would perform dressed up as a birthday cake while singing a song about chasing after men. What that has to do with dressing up as a birthday cake I don't know but that's the sort of thing she would do. And judging by the stupid costumes that complete fad has worn I wouldn't be surprised if she has done that.

Are you even aware of what you're saying? I'm not a Gaga fan really, I only dig a few tunes but it seems that your statement is a bit of a stretch. Also, yes, she does outrageous things too, like going to some place dressed in meat, but didn't Coldplay themselves choose those awful Grammy costumes? Why not mention Muse then?

Guest howyousawtheworld
Are you even aware of what you're saying? I'm not a Gaga fan really, I only dig a few tunes but it seems that your statement is a bit of a stretch. Also, yes, she does outrageous things too, like going to some place dressed in meat, but didn't Coldplay themselves choose those awful Grammy costumes? Why not mention Muse then?

Ooops. I offended the closet Lady Gaga fan.