✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kaleidoscope EP

guy42

I know that, and I enjoy SJLT. Great tune to sing in the car. Just not the kind of song that I was hoping for Coldplay...

And after repeating Someone Special, I must admit that I kinda like the song but the Big Sean part just seems so wrong imo...

agreed. I felt the rap didn't add much to the song. like, if they took out the rap, i wouldnt be mad

• Like 1

I'm sooooooo with you, this is what I've been hoping Coldplay created since MX, this is where I thought Coldplay would head into after MX, why I was excited for future Coldplay music.. Damn it! It's only one song, ONE song that beats so many of their recent work.. Hard to believe this EP is so sporadic, no song relates to another whatsoever.. so weird. I want to believe/hope Coldplay does more of this and less pop from now on, but hard to tell seeing as this EP still has some super poppy stuff.. It's time though, for them to step into this experimental zone, its time!

I prefer Ghost Stories and A Head Full Of Dreams over MX.

Why? Why most of the brilliant songs from Coldplay are in B-sides and EP? Same case with Moving To Mars and GhostStory (which was one of the better songs of that era). I think they have less self pressure than when they have to release LP. And for that they are more open to experimentation. Maybe I'm wrong. It's just a theory. Brilliant song and I really liked the video.

Enviado de meu SM-A520F usando Tapatalk

• Like 3

Why? Why most of the brilliant songs from Coldplay are in B-sides and EP? Same case with Moving To Mars and GhostStory (which was one of the better songs of that era). I think they have less self pressure than when they have to release LP. And for that they are more open to experimentation. Maybe I'm wrong. It's just a theory. Brilliant song and I really liked the video.

i think now more and more this is a byproduct of how huge and diverse the audience of the band is. but to be fair, they did put out quite a few very good songs as b-sides/in EPs in the earlier eras too. but now, it feels more prominent.

• Like 2

My quick thoughts on the EP

All I Can Think About Is You - I really wish the production was better as it's easily the best thing Coldplay have come up with in the post-GS era. It gives me hope that future Coldplay releases will be worth hearing. I just wish the outro wasn't so noisy.

Miracles (Someone Special) - I didn't really like the original Miracles, so the prospect of hearing another version with Big Sean didn't thrill me. Even though it's turned out to be a fairly different song, the original Miracles was a lot better. I really wish Coldplay would move away from this sound. Kind of destroys the hope I got from AICTAIY.

ALIENS - It's a great song and I'm glad they've finally released it. I kind of mentally separate it from the rest of the EP as it's probably about 7-8 years old now. I'm really pleased to have it, and perhaps the resurrection is a hint that Coldplay are thinking of pursing this direction again. Also makes me wonder what kind of album MX could've been.

Someone Just Like This (Toyko Remix) - Tbh I don't mind the original, I view it more as a good Chainsmokers song than a bad Coldplay song. It doesn't work at all live though. I kind of wish they'd just stuck the original on here.

Hypnotised - Never understood all the fuss, it just feels like a 6 minute version of Amazing Day to me. It's alright enough I suppose, sounds more Coldplay-ish than the pop stuff they were doing on AHFOD. Still not huge on it though.

I'd give it a 5/10. ALIENS is pretty great, and AICTAIY shows a lot of potential. Those are the only songs I can see myself coming back to, and probably not that often.

So we have a 30 second snippet from a 2009 doco and we assume the whole song came from those sessions. While I kinda agree that it's most likely it's all from the MX/Viva era. We can only connect the parts where Eno sings in the doco to A L I E N S. The body of this song may have been made to suit the sounds Eno created back then but that doesn't necessarily mean the whole song is that old. I have hope that the first few mins and the strings at the end are new products of recent Coldplay studio sessions. Just my two cents.

• Like 2

ALIENS is frickin' great. Sounds so prog, I love it. Reminds me of 42, and of course X&Y. And also Radiohead - that's 3 songs out of 5 that sound strikingly inspired by them (Hypnotised, AICTAIY, ALIENS). Brian Eno really is a magician, isn't he? Add him to the mix and you're guaranteed a great track.

Also, what's all this talk about ALIENS being a VLV-era track? How'd that come about? If it's true though I guess that explains the 42 vibes I got from it.

Also yay I was right it's about refugees. Video animation reminiscent of old Daft Punk vids. Lyrics are kind of uninspired, which is a pity because they could've done so much more with this concept and sound. I'm happy though, this EP is a Kaleidoscope after all, a little something for everyone.

• Like 1

ALIENS is frickin' great. Sounds so prog, I love it. Reminds me of 42, and of course X&Y. And also Radiohead - that's 3 songs out of 5 that sound strikingly inspired by them (Hypnotised, AICTAIY, ALIENS). Brian Eno really is a magician, isn't he? Add him to the mix and you're guaranteed a great track.

Also, what's all this talk about ALIENS being a VLV-era track? How'd that come about? If it's true though I guess that explains the 42 vibes I got from it.

Also yay I was right it's about refugees. Video animation reminiscent of old Daft Punk vids. Lyrics are kind of uninspired, which is a pity because they could've done so much more with this concept and sound. I'm happy though, this EP is a Kaleidoscope after all, a little something for everyone.

Check out the ALIENS thread where VFC pointed it out:

https://coldplaying.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-l-i-e-n-s.109145/page-4

Also check out my second post on there as well:

https://coldplaying.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-l-i-e-n-s.109145/page-7

I just did a quick edit of them side by side and once over each other so it would be a bit easier.

Saw the A L I E N S video this morning, love it!

So..yeah, we've basically heard 4 out of the 5 songs now, the studio versions. I stumbled onto the debut of July 4th live Milan "Miracles (Someone Special)"..I need to see if I can download that and improve the audio maybe later today. But what I've heard I kind of like that also! Looking forward to that studio release. Only thing I can say is MAYBE a few tweaks, slight different versions before the official release, not really sure though.

Guess my only complaint is although I love "Something Just Like This" - - but since this has been out for a while now, I kind of wish they perhaps cut this song from the EP, released something new.

I have a slight hunch they might add a hidden track..that would be nice!

i think now more and more this is a byproduct of how huge and diverse the audience of the band is. but to be fair, they did put out quite a few very good songs as b-sides/in EPs in the earlier eras too. but now, it feels more prominent.

Yes! There is something for everyone today. Great point.

Hm, upon first listen to the live version: Something about the beat is a bit reminiscent of the original Miracles but unlike the original Miracles imho it lacks a strong melody or climax. Heavy synths mixed with some hip hop beats and guitar, and of course a Big Sean part.

I like the guitar in it, but other than that I can't get rid of the feeling that the song is not going anywhere, if you know what I mean. It sounds the same throughout to me.

Of course we will have to wait for the studio version for final judgement

IMO the "hip hop beats" in this song are a lot better than a lot of the beats in the hip hop songs popular today that sound terrible and fake...

Can we talk about a post recently posted in the Mystery soundcheck forum, the sheet found with guitar tunings for songs like Tomorrow & Vampire Symphony.

Were these gonna make the EP or are they secretly on there? Why keep Tomorrow on the guitar sheet if you have no intentions of releasing. All credit to the original poster on the original forum. Just wanted to know what everyone thought. Ps Midnight release of A L I E N S ?

[ATTACH=full]7119[/ATTACH]

I really hope they release that Tomorrow someday, from the title I'd assume it to be a really good song

I know that, and I enjoy SJLT. Great tune to sing in the car. Just not the kind of song that I was hoping for Coldplay...

And after repeating Someone Special, I must admit that I kinda like the song but the Big Sean part just seems so wrong imo...

I agree about Big Sean, I personally think though he did good but it isn't necessary to have him in there.

Prob just something to get the song extra popularity if it is released.

Still holding out for "tomorrow" and "vampire symphony" LP8

Don't forget Car Kids :P

[MEDIA=twitter]883373029857918976[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/ColdplayAtlas/status/883373029857918976

Apparently there is something else along with Hypnotised wich duration on the EP is eventually 6mn 31sec

Wonder what could be these 36 extra seconds

Pleaasssee, let it be a better outro. It's one of the only things wrong with the song, the outro isn't so spectacular...

• Like 1

Maybe Hypnotised EP Mix just has a longer fadeout...

It's an extra 30-40 seconds, I doubt they would extend the fade out that long. My guess is either a completely different outro or a different outro using the ambient sounds from the app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Pleaasssee, let it be a better outro. It's one of the only things wrong with the song, the outro isn't so spectacular...

Yes or a little instrumental to end decently the EP and the AHFOD era. It would be great !

• Like 3

[MEDIA=twitter]883373029857918976[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/ColdplayAtlas/status/883373029857918976

Apparently there is something else along with Hypnotised wich duration on the EP is eventually 6mn 31sec

Wonder what could be these 36 extra seconds

Aw yeah

Worst case scenario, it's just a longer outro. Maybe something like Poppyfields at the end of Prospekt's March. Best case, it's another little micro-song like Parachutes

Aw yeah

Worst case scenario, it's just a longer outro. Maybe something like Poppyfields at the end of Prospekt's March. Best case, it's another little micro-song like Parachutes

It'd be interesting, though, if they put a snippet of a song that was kind of faded or something that they might consider for next LP. Somehow blurred back a bit. Very unlikely considering they're likely taking a (well deserved) hiatus after all of the tour dates are over (crazy to think they're still touring all this time after they've released the album, and yes there was a break but still...)

Might just be that the song is extended though.