✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

stephen

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

This poll is closed to new votes

No.

That is all.

So I am going to make an unpopular statement, but like Chris, I also grew up loving EDM. I didn't go to raves in fields or warehouses or anything, and also was very straight laced in terms of never doing any drugs, but when I had chances I went to gay clubs as a straight woman with my good friend and danced to EDM in an environment where I wouldn't get bothered too much (except for the occasional random dude asking if we would have a threesome which we just politely declined and it was done with) and it was a euphoric experience. So a Coldplay dance album, if it was the style of EDM, would be pretty exciting for me. But I also really like SFoS, SJLT, and most EDM versions of Coldplay songs anyway. ;)

• Like 2

I think it's not possible to make the whole album EDM. Because in all the Coldplay albums there are some points that come to calm. Up moments down moments... They are part of a big story i think and how life can't be up all time, the album can't. I like EDM songs but even the acts that makes EDM songs at least they have 1 song that is slow and soft in their album. It's like relaxing time.

• Like 5

So I am going to make an unpopular statement, but like Chris, I also grew up loving EDM. I didn't go to raves in fields or warehouses or anything, and also was very straight laced in terms of never doing any drugs, but when I had chances I went to gay clubs as a straight woman with my good friend and danced to EDM in an environment where I wouldn't get bothered too much (except for the occasional random dude asking if we would have a threesome which we just politely declined and it was done with) and it was a euphoric experience. So a Coldplay dance album, if it was the style of EDM, would be pretty exciting for me. But I also really like SFoS, SJLT, and most EDM versions of Coldplay songs anyway. ;)

I wish you'd gone with the threesome.

I randomly check this thread once and we're talking about random threesomes. Oh, this website.

I meant it to be a funny aside (although it did really happen). Now I know how to get the Coldplay community's attention!

• Like 7

• 4 months later...

Almost 5 months since the last post. Anything new since then? Interesting conversations/meetings at the Bakery or Beehive? Of course, Dave Holmes seemed to make it fairly clear in the interview that we shouldn't expect another tour until at least 2021, but considering the band's frequent creative energy, it's hard not to be curious as to what they're up to. :eyes: November 17th marks a year since the AHFOD tour ended--hard to believe how the time has gone by!

Two reasons in my mind.

1) We're waiting for the live album to be released first and since its so quiet on that end, we havent even been thinking about LP8.

2) What news we do get isn't big or substantial enough so we just use the Random thread. Every 'offseason' thats what the Random thread becomes. Just misc news that isnt big enough for its own thread, or even a post here, but big enough to start a convo. Also because that usually ends up being the most popular thread of the offseason.

But yeah, the biggest 'news' lately is the rumour that they may come back mid/late next year for a run of festivals, BUT that was shot down quickly and we've expecting 2020.

• Like 5

I am thinking newish. As much as I appreciated how Coldplay has done pop I could use more guitars and bass rock in the future personally. But I do think it depends on the direction of music in the next 3 years. Their staying power has been their ability to remain relevant for multiple generations. I can't complain about that!

• Like 2

I mean, it's safe to say it will be far less produced and immense than AHFOD...

They need a new angle (throwback rock or acoustic make sense) and the whole vibe is gonna be more stripped. You don't follow up an era that features Swedish Hip-Hop producers, Beyonce, and Noel Gallagher, The Chainsmokers, Big Sean, and Tove Lo with another massive album featuring Sia, Danger Mouse, Liam Gallagher, Drake, and Alessia Cara.

Ever since Viva each era has been distinct. It's a good marketing trick. You release a completely new sounding single (ETIAW, Midnight, AOAL), wear new clothes, show some cool artwork. It gets us fans and music media stirred up into a frenzy guessing which direction their music could go next, when really at this point, we know that their albums tend to follow a pretty predictable pattern and are generally safe.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if they follow up with a a self-titled album before 2020 that they've been working on for a while in secret. A very Oldplay sounding album that's fairly stripped down and short. They wouldn't have to tour it and could still release some crazy pop singles in the meantime (I'm wondering if Avicii's Heaven feat. Coldplay is on its way?)

• Like 5

surely they're not...breaking up? :worried:

(and personally, if you meant the other thing, i don't think that Jonny, Guy & Will are crazy about sounding like The Chainsmokers xD)

No they're not breaking up I was joking. It's just been too damn long since we heard anything from the band.

But yeah to your other point, I am very curious what J+W+G+P feelings are towards the musical direction the band has taken in the last couple years.

Jonny, Will and Guy aren't very convincing when they are up there bopping along to a song that features Beyonce and says "I'm feeling drunk and high".

I'm sure Chris would like to keep going towards a more pop/mainstream sound while the rest would rather try to go more experimental while also appealing to the core Coldplay fans.

And I think, going forward, they will continue to compromise with albums featuring pop songs mixed with more stripped/classic Coldplay style.

Unless the whole band are on the pop train, I'm just speculating.

• Like 5