✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

stephen

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

This poll is closed to new votes

No they're not breaking up I was joking. It's just been too damn long since we heard anything from the band.

But yeah to your other point, I am very curious what J+W+G+P feelings are towards the musical direction the band has taken in the last couple years.

Jonny, Will and Guy aren't very convincing when they are up there bopping along to a song that features Beyonce and says "I'm feeling drunk and high".

I'm sure Chris would like to keep going towards a more pop/mainstream sound while the rest would rather try to go more experimental while also appealing to the core Coldplay fans.

Agree with everything. They seem to be, well, stood 'in the background' while Chris spins around doing an airplane dance. Little to say, the guy's obsessed with that shit.

Personally, while I'd like the band to go back to their roots (something I've wanted for a LONG time), I'd also love them to experiment a bit with genres. Hell, I don't even mind the occasional rap feature (preferably not Big Sean hehe). I remember when I was on this forum and literally DESPISED hip-hop. Now it's up there as one of my go-to genres!

Just please guys, no more Stargate.

• Like 4

Agree with everything. They seem to be, well, stood 'in the background' while Chris spins around doing an airplane dance. Little to say, the guy's obsessed with that shit.

Personally, while I'd like the band to go back to their roots (something I've wanted for a LONG time), I'd also love them to experiment a bit with genres. Hell, I don't even mind the occasional rap feature (preferably not Big Sean hehe). I remember when I was on this forum and literally DESPISED hip-hop. Now it's up there as one of my go-to genres!

Just please guys, no more Stargate.

Right? They go for a rare rap feature and it's freaking Big Sean lol. Nothing against Big Sean (I like his verse on Miracles), but they could do better.

Jay-Z was a great feature. I'd love to see another Kanye collab. Or Kendrick, Eminem. Post Malone would be sick.

I mean preferably a limit to collabs, but if they are to do a rap one, hopefully someone better than Big Sean.

If I had to pick 3 collabs for Coldplay- Post Malone, John Mayer and Kanye West. I'd love to see them collab with OneRepublic, Imagine Dragons, Bastille, Jack Johnson, Muse, Paul McCartney, U2... but it seems when Coldplay go for a collab, they go for someone who has drastically different abilities than them.

• Like 3

Right? They go for a rare rap feature and it's freaking Big Sean lol. Nothing against Big Sean (I like his verse on Miracles), but they could do better.

Jay-Z was a great feature. I'd love to see another Kanye collab. Or Kendrick, Eminem. Post Malone would be sick.

I mean preferably a limit to collabs, but if they are to do a rap one, hopefully someone better than Big Sean.

If I had to pick 3 collabs for Coldplay- Post Malone, John Mayer and Kanye West. I'd love to see them collab with OneRepublic, Imagine Dragons, Bastille, Jack Johnson, Muse, Paul McCartney, U2... but it seems when Coldplay go for a collab, they go for someone who has drastically different abilities than them.

Oh definitely Post. The dude gets WAY too much hate. I'd love to see him, Thom Yorke and Kevin Parker on their stuff. Like can you imagine? A psychedelic 6min track with Chris singing over Jonny's lucid guitar licks...and Kevin's hypnotic vox refrain. And Posty coming in on another verse with his powerful baritone voice. And Thom on synth/piano duty...I can only dream. (You could also arguably put Trippie Redd here too, his voice could suit this, listen to 'High' w/ Alison Wonderland)

• Like 3

I hate to be that person spreading false hope! But the rumour that Coldplay is playing Rock in Rio 2019 just went up a notch. The official rock in rio Instagram page is teasing Coldplay in their stories, sharing old videos of them performing there. Could be just a “do you remember when?” Kind of thing.

Feels like more

• Like 2

I hate to be that person spreading false hope! But the rumour that Coldplay is playing Rock in Rio 2019 just went up a notch. The official rock in rio Instagram page is teasing Coldplay in their stories, sharing old videos of them performing there. Could be just a “do you remember when?” Kind of thing.

Feels like more

I've just seen it. It may just be a throwback.

However, I've noticed that 'a musica pode despertar emocoes' translates to 'music excites emotions' on the first part. Possible slogan for next event? Coldplay to be announced? We'll see.

• Like 2

Oh definitely Post. The dude gets WAY too much hate. I'd love to see him, Thom Yorke and Kevin Parker on their stuff. Like can you imagine? A psychedelic 6min track with Chris singing over Jonny's lucid guitar licks...and Kevin's hypnotic vox refrain. And Posty coming in on another verse with his powerful baritone voice. And Thom on synth/piano duty...I can only dream. (You could also arguably put Trippie Redd here too, his voice could suit this, listen to 'High' w/ Alison Wonderland)

Coldplay, Thom Yorke and Post Malone on one track is my wet dream.

It would shatter the internet.

• Like 2

I've just seen it. It may just be a throwback.

However, I've noticed that 'a musica pode despertar emocoes' translates to 'music excites emotions' on the first part. Possible slogan for next event? Coldplay to be announced? We'll see.

Reverb is a editorial company that helps festival goers for Rock in Rio. Not exactly an official media outlet for festival goers and organisers but still. They recently posted this image. Initial reactions are very excited etc, they did also post a message in the comments section which translated to:

"People, people, people, let's calm down! This is just a joke, and Reverb is an editorial partnership between Webedia and Rock in Rio. We have no connection with the festival itself or with its artists. That aside, I'm as curious as you are about the 2019 line-up!"

This post is less expecting anything, but more keeping tabs incase it happens.

I truly believe a festival tour is possible next year. I want the boys to have the time off that they need, I dont expect new material at all. They are big enough that their catalogue can carry a festival headline slot and would love to see a less decorated more music orientated set.

1242264640_ScreenShot2018-09-02at12_01_33pm.png.235a8f1d035ace7cc771af1356e474b6.png

• Like 2

I totally glanced over your Kevin Parker mention. Yes please. Although I hope he's not in the category of Thom Yorke who probably is "too cool" to associate with Coldplay.

I bet Thom is low key salty still about Coldplay ripping off their sound in the late 90s/early 2000s and going on to be 10x more popular than Radiohead ever was.

I'm sure an imprint of Tame Impala on Coldplay would serve them very well.

surely they're not...breaking up? :worried:

(and personally, if you meant the other thing, i don't think that Jonny, Guy & Will are crazy about sounding like The Chainsmokers xD)

Nah they just taking break. Pretty much by the end of AHFOD tour they started getting tired of folks asking that and said it wasn't happening on more than one occasion, and multiple band members said it. Chris is just a live in the moment guy and often says an album could be their last because he doesn't take their success for granted. Plus Dave Holmes and Phil Harvey said they'd be back but probably not touring until 2021.

• Like 2

Nah they just taking break. Pretty much by the end of AHFOD tour they started getting tired of folks asking that and said it wasn't happening on more than one occasion, and multiple band members said it. Chris is just a live in the moment guy and often says an album could be their last because he doesn't take their success for granted. Plus Dave Holmes and Phil Harvey said they'd be back but probably not touring until 2021.

lol, I already know this, but thanks anyways:D

You realise they got nominated in 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018?

Yes. But nominations don't have anything to do with being asked to perform. Libor brought up the idea of them promoting their next album at the Grammy's.

They haven't won a Grammy in about 10 years and haven't been asked to perform during their last 2 album cycles, after having performed the previous 4 (if I remember correctly).

I'm just saying their critical acclaim from The Recording Academy has been lacking since after Mylo.

BTW Mylo totally should have won one of those nominations.

To be honest, I don't expect any new material until late 2019 at the very least. Would be cool for them to do some festival dates next year but the thing is I don't them doing a big gig without a "proper" theme (like the Mylo, Ghost Stories and AFHOD pre-release shows) at this point.

To be honest, I don't expect any new material until late 2019 at the very least. Would be cool for them to do some festival dates next year but the thing is I don't them doing a big gig without a "proper" theme (like the Mylo, Ghost Stories and AFHOD pre-release shows) at this point.

They're "only going to be full of surprises" from here on out. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 4

Well, I did some research and the longest gap between albums was between VLVODAAHF and MX and it was exactly 3 years, 5 months and 12 days. This means that if LP8 isn't out until the 17th of May 2019 (the most likely scenario), then this will be the longest gap in their carrier. This is understandable because both VLV and AHFOD had their EPs and both had massive tours (AHFOD tour was the longest they've ever had).

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty significant, if not the most significant piece of concrete info about the timing of the LP8 era.

[MEDIA=twitter]1043900824274038784[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/coldplaying/status/1043900824274038784

So, one year break after the end of tour. The end of the tour was November 15 2017, a year after was obviously Nov 15 2018, very soon. Okay, so, neat, the boys are about to start work again in a couple of months.

So, let's use that date with the historical average of 1.5 year / 18 months between albums/eras. This assumes two things

1) They havent taken a full consecutive year off in the previous eras, thus skewing my 18 month number.

2) I'm counting albums and eras as the same thing even though we typically see eras start a couple months before the album is released. Examples such as releasing a single before the full album is released, or some sort of teaser image or website change before the album releases.

Do the math and that points to: May 2020.

Playing the other side of the coin, and trying to be objective though, who knows, those numbers could be irrelevant if the one year break is something they havent done before. I mean, just because they say they've taken a one year break from each other, doesn't mean they suddenly forget how to become musicians. I recall hearing Chris explaining song writing before, like he was somehow a vessel in which song flow through from wherever in the universe. I mean, that doesnt just stop just because. Perhaps after the year break, they'll be more productive than in the past because they've been holding these ideas in for so long.

• Like 9