✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

stephen

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

This poll is closed to new votes

Indeed! The future is bright my friends! I'm just enjoying the heck out of Los Unidades and the Butterfly Package until we get a Coldplay announcment next year :)

I would, however, like to pose one question to you all.

I didn't see AHFOD in theaters and everyone was talking about the post-credits teaser where they were hinting at new material. Plus, Mat Whitecross was hinting at new material over the past few months. Is there any reason for us to believe that all that teasing was about Los Unidades? Or does it seem like something more directly Coldplay related i.e. LP8?

• Like 5

Indeed! The future is bright my friends! I'm just enjoying the heck out of Los Unidades and the Butterfly Package until we get a Coldplay announcment next year :)

I would, however, like to pose one question to you all.

I didn't see AHFOD in theaters and everyone was talking about the post-credits teaser where they were hinting at new material. Plus, Mat Whitecross was hinting at new material over the past few months. Is there any reason for us to believe that all that teasing was about Los Unidades? Or does it seem like something more directly Coldplay related i.e. LP8?

That's a good question. I haven't got a clue !

Reading all this stuff reminds me of how much I want something new.

I just want so much to hear a new COLDPLAY song (if that makes sense :laughing:), something new that's completely mastered and written by Will, Guy, Jonny and Chris. Just Coldplay.... no Stargate for example.

Or maybe a "new" song that's never been brought out on a CD like has been said before (some great B-sides would work).

They should really release an EP or an album with 6 songs at least.... It'll please so many die-hard fans I think. It would be amazing !

• Like 7

[MEDIA=twitter]1063811076305883137[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/ali_donizete/status/1063811076305883137?s=21

Thoughts. ? This lady claims she logged into the official Quebec festival website and a test lineup outline was trialled & these are the headliners.

Hello ! This is my first post on Coldplaying even after I came here to get my Coldplay info during all the LP7 hype before the release

I wanted to reply this because im from Montréal and the FEQ is a festival that I truly want to go in a near future ! With that said, I heard from a familly member (a FEQ addict lol) that Coldplay has been a target for the festival for a couple of years, and is also one of the most requested artist every year.

To me, this seems very plausible if new material is on the way for 2019. Imagine Dragons also just released an album, so festival venues for them this summer make sense too.

Btw sorry if my english is bad...

I'm sorry but there is approximately 0% chance Jonny, Guy and Will create an album on their own with Will on vocals :joy:

I think it's not that unlikely. Will always seemed so grateful, even to the extent of almost crying, on the rare occasions when he got the chance to sing. Of course the songs would be different, especially the lyrics, Perhaps this is what they are 'hatching'? Who knows`

Anyhow, I would of course be very happy if they released new songs with all the four of them in it. It will be very interesting to see which direction they will go. As long as it's a direction all the four of them are happy with, we as their fans just have to accept it. We can't prescribe them what music they should make!

• Like 2

This scenario is very unlikely. I'll explain:

1. The non-Chris members of the band are great for composing bits of their instruments, but don't have the ability to write songs from scratch as Chris does and I think they won't do that in the future.

2. I suppose that Will isn't confident enough to sing lead vocals or write lyrics at the point.

3. One of the rules of this band is that the members' lineup should be strictly stable; no one in, no one out. If this scenario is a possibility it would mean the end of Coldplay.

4. Coldplay is not supposed to be in the studio now, no plans for album, no gigs and a well deserved year long hiatus is happening. No need for them to be in studio.

5. The sightings of Jonny and Will in the Bakery recently(if I remember correct), are normal as the band in the last couple of albums works in multiple different studios, as Chris now spends most of his time in Malibu and as it is shown in the recent documentary, during the AHFOD sessions they weren't together all the time, especially in the start of the recording process.

6. *take this with a grain of salt* It SEEMS that Los Unidades is just a side project to differentiate Coldplay from this generic-for-a-good-cause EP. Which means that real Coldplay will sometime in the future walk past this style and continue in their normal way. The non-Chris members of the band weren't deeply involved in this project, so they probably didn't play a role in the songs selection and approval, and this doesn't mean that from now on Chris will be crazy selfish and ignorant!

Let's just wait and hope that the boys are jamming in studios around the globe. Every day we get closer to a release!

• Like 12

Here's my LP8 fan theory....

[spoiler=Long read and probably stupid.]So right after Ghost Stories, Coldplay records a ton of new material for AHFOD, settle on the album (as seen in the documentary) and push some tracks to the side (Miracles 2, Hypnotised, Voodoo, an early SJLT). They then launch their tour and towards the end of 2016 start realizing how fun it is to record new music on the road. They begin touring with a studio and writing new material on the road and bringing old tracks back to put into Kaleidoscope EP (AICTAIY, ALIENS). Suddenly the band is having a ton of fun reworking old material (maybe from the Viva/Mylo eras, like ALIENS and Voodoo).

The EP drops in the summer and we continue to hear many mysterious new soundchecks & jams. We also have an update from Roadie 42 saying the crew has to be quiet backstage as the band records music. But what are they recording? Maybe it's the final touches of the EP, maybe its part of Los Unidades? Or maybe it's LP8!!

That's right, gang. Coldplay reworked old material and formed it into a new album. At the end credits scene of AHFOD, we're seeing the entire band + Rik in late 2017 deciding what that album will be and deciding on a release date (early 2019). That way they can take a sabbatical and work a tiny bit to finish up the Los Unidades material and coordinate the Butterfly Package. The artist for the butterfly package, btw, is secretly doing a cool design for LP8.

The same day Global Citizen EP1 is dropped, Coldplay also trademarks Car Kids. Why? Because they'd been holding on to that track for a long time and it represents Coldplay on tour (kids travelling).

So, in 2019, Coldplay will announce LP8 entitled Car Kids. It will be announced as a collection of old songs scrapped in 2010, and new songs recorded on the road. It will be an "unconventional" Coldplay album, because it will be a concept record about different characters in space travelling around. Think Mylo Xyloto part II but without all the pop. Life is Beautiful makes an appearance? Maybe the original Charlie Brown with accordion?

• Like 13

[spoiler=Long read and probably stupid.]So right after Ghost Stories, Coldplay records a ton of new material for AHFOD, settle on the album (as seen in the documentary) and push some tracks to the side (Miracles 2, Hypnotised, Voodoo, an early SJLT). They then launch their tour and towards the end of 2016 start realizing how fun it is to record new music on the road. They begin touring with a studio and writing new material on the road and bringing old tracks back to put into Kaleidoscope EP (AICTAIY, ALIENS). Suddenly the band is having a ton of fun reworking old material (maybe from the Viva/Mylo eras, like ALIENS and Voodoo).

The EP drops in the summer and we continue to hear many mysterious new soundchecks & jams. We also have an update from Roadie 42 saying the crew has to be quiet backstage as the band records music. But what are they recording? Maybe it's the final touches of the EP, maybe its part of Los Unidades? Or maybe it's LP8!!

That's right, gang. Coldplay reworked old material and formed it into a new album. At the end credits scene of AHFOD, we're seeing the entire band + Rik in late 2017 deciding what that album will be and deciding on a release date (early 2019). That way they can take a sabbatical and work a tiny bit to finish up the Los Unidades material and coordinate the Butterfly Package. The artist for the butterfly package, btw, is secretly doing a cool design for LP8.

The same day Global Citizen EP1 is dropped, Coldplay also trademarks Car Kids. Why? Because they'd been holding on to that track for a long time and it represents Coldplay on tour (kids travelling).

So, in 2019, Coldplay will announce LP8 entitled Car Kids. It will be announced as a collection of old songs scrapped in 2010, and new songs recorded on the road. It will be an "unconventional" Coldplay album, because it will be a concept record about different characters in space travelling around. Think Mylo Xyloto part II but without all the pop. Life is Beautiful makes an appearance? Maybe the original Charlie Brown with accordion?

At first sight, I was a bit shocked, like "have I missed something¿?" but then I did calm down and read that it's only a fan theory. I got distracted by your spoiler :/ Great spoiler though!

• Like 3

That was a fun read, thank you! I mean it! If the band does at least something from all you've said I'd be really happy. I think it's the best fan theory I've ever seen.

• Like 4

I think they were talking about what ended up being The Butterfly Package, that's my theory anyways.

• Like 3

nothing personal here, but I think they need to move on from Rik Simpson. in my opinion the last few albums and live albums have had some really crappy mixes. Some really head scratching decisions in the final mixes (UP&UP album version comes to mind). I'm sure he's technically very proficient and perhaps Simpson's mixes are just what the band have requested. But a new direction in the final product sound-wise would be welcome.

• Like 8

^Agree.

Hard to know how those decisions are made. But some of the mixes on GS and AHFOD (both studio and now live) drive me nuts because a lot of the good instrumentation is watered down. I think Rik is amazingly smart and has likely been a part of some or our most favorite Coldplay moments without us even being aware.

And to follow up on that David Holmes interview... If what he's saying is true I'm impressed by his transparency haha. That's a pretty specific window he's sticking to. But the quote that really stood out to me is...

"I think it was just where they were at creatively," said Holmes. "I don’t think they’re ever going to follow a straight album campaign-tour format."

What does this mean? That they will release new albums and EP's as they wish and not follow a album campaign format? Or that they don't plan on releasing another album and touring it? Or not even another album?

^Agree.

Hard to know how those decisions are made. But some of the mixes on GS and AHFOD (both studio and now live) drive me nuts because a lot of the good instrumentation is watered down. I think Rik is amazingly smart and has likely been a part of some or our most favorite Coldplay moments without us even being aware.

And to follow up on that David Holmes interview... If what he's saying is true I'm impressed by his transparency haha. That's a pretty specific window he's sticking to. But the quote that really stood out to me is...

"I think it was just where they were at creatively," said Holmes. "I don’t think they’re ever going to follow a straight album campaign-tour format."

What does this mean? That they will release new albums and EP's as they wish and not follow a album campaign format? Or that they don't plan on releasing another album and touring it? Or not even another album?

Read 5 pages of this thread just looking for the answer to this question :joy::joy: (and read some amazing fan theories...really AMAZING)

What does Dave mean that they are not gonna follow conventional format? Its really driving me crazy ..:no_mouth:

Read 5 pages of this thread just looking for the answer to this question :joy::joy: (and read some amazing fan theories...really AMAZING)

What does Dave mean that they are not gonna follow conventional format? Its really driving me crazy ..:no_mouth:

Maybe they‘ll just release single songs whenever they‘re ready?

• Like 1

^Agree.

In the article perhaps we need to take that quote into proper context. Here's the entire part of the article where that quote is referenced:

Last year, Coldplay released the Kaleidoscope EP, which has moved 46,510 units to date, according to the Official Charts Company. "I think it was just where they were at creatively," said Holmes. "I don’t think they’re ever going to follow a straight album campaign-tour format."

Perhaps Holmes was only referring to the Kaleidoscope EP material. Let me rephrase Holmes' words another way - "I think it was just where they were at with the Kaleidescope material creatively. I don't think they were ever going to follow a straight album campaign-tour format with that leftover material"

I could be wrong, but if this is what he was referring to I have to imagine they will certainly still consider releasing albums and touring those albums. Maybe at a smaller scale. Maybe at the same scale. But why wouldn't you promote your material? It's what they do. It's how they've always done it. That comment makes zero sense outside of this sort of context.

• Like 7

As someone who has worked as a journalist, I can say this is the kind of quote you need to translate for the reader haha

It's not super germane to the rest of the story and it lacks a time frame. Obviously they're talking about Kaleidoscope EP, but the quote's still unclear.

He could have just said "Kaleidoscope EP is just an example of how they can release music outside the normal album campaign-tour format, and I think they'll continue to do that." That would just mean things will continue as normal. EP's, albums, singles, collabs, the works. Instead it's left open to read like "they may not release an album and tour it again" if you want to read it that way. Ah well.

• Like 1

nothing personal here, but I think they need to move on from Rik Simpson. in my opinion the last few albums and live albums have had some really crappy mixes. Some really head scratching decisions in the final mixes (UP&UP album version comes to mind). I'm sure he's technically very proficient and perhaps Simpson's mixes are just what the band have requested. But a new direction in the final product sound-wise would be welcome.

For me the best sounding period was with Brian Eno.

• Like 5