✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

stephen

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

This poll is closed to new votes

I want to wait until the 22nd but I feel like I have to listen to it since I write for an online college magazine and I want to write a review of the album but the only free week I have to publish it is that it'd be due on the 24th which doesn't give me much time to understand the songs well. Maybe I'll try to hold out a little longer...

• Like 3

I'm doing my best to persist in waiting till 22 November even though I've already heard snippets of few songs from the leaked album that my friends sent me and read countless reviews because I'm keen on the idea of hyping myself up for next week haha.

For better or worse I've eventually given in and did what I did...

[MEDIA=giphy]3o7bucatGMMLf8WBVe[/MEDIA]

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I noticed they posted a few posts on FB directly addressing some Asian countries (telling about the new album). I wonder why.

Just found it strange as it wasn’t done before for previous albums I don’t think.

Likely to be a small mess-up because normally those promotions are targeted only on specific countries. That's why you didn't see them last time around.

• Like 1

Well, its friday, the should release another single, shouldnt they?

Although this album would have a smaller number of singles than previous albums. Wat do you think?

I supose they would release as single Champion of the world and daddy. They are the most "powerful" songs I think. Maybe also Everyday life and trouble in town? But 6 singles I think are a lot for this intimate and simple album.

Do you think we will get the live performances on a CD/DVD release? I mean, they could just leave it as a YT Premium thing, but remember how AHFOD Film is on Amazon Prime and we also have it on DVD. A proper CD/DVD release of Live In Jordan would be just awesome!

• Like 5

Do you think we will get the live performances on a CD/DVD release? I mean, they could just leave it as a YT Premium thing, but remember how AHFOD Film is on Amazon Prime and we also have it on DVD. A proper CD/DVD release of Live In Jordan would be just awesome!

I really hope so... after all, GS Live 2014 (the DVD) came from a TV special. And here in the US, stupid NBC decided to cut songs out of the broadcast for time so we had to rely on the internet for those performances until the DVD came out. : unamused:

• Like 4

I really hope so... after all, GS Live 2014 (the DVD) came from a TV special. And here in the US, stupid NBC decided to cut songs out of the broadcast for time so we had to rely on the internet for those performances until the DVD came out. : unamused:

I forgot Ghost Stories Live being a TV special on a french channel as well... So, we hopefully get it as a DVD or even Blu-Ray! Fingers crossed!!!

• Like 2

Well, its friday, the should release another single, shouldnt they?

Although this album would have a smaller number of singles than previous albums. Wat do you think?

I supose they would release as single Champion of the world and daddy. They are the most "powerful" songs I think. Maybe also Everyday life and trouble in town? But 6 singles I think are a lot for this intimate and simple album.

There already came out three(!) songs before the official album release.

I think it's too much for teasing the album with yet another track for now.

It's possible another 'single' would come out in December. People speculate 'Daddy' is next.

• Like 2

Extremely long post, so I just put it all in a spoiler.

The problem about making album after a year is it make me feel unfinished. AHFOD make me feel so unfinished. Hope LP9 won't be like that

AHFOD's only a single example though. I'm sure there are other albums out there that feel fully finished even after noly a year's work, but it's important to remember they lead busy lives and need to tour and such. Surely more time would allow for a more fleshed out album though, so I would rather they take their time than rush and produce their next big hits right away. They might have the time to do that anyway however, seeing as they won't be touring much this time around just like GS, even though many people still feel the album was lackluster after only a year's work.

more lyrics but not sure for what song

Those sound super cheesy :joy:

Would be funny if they do albums like this back and forth now (experimental first, stadium pop stuff second, and back etc.).

I'd honestly be fine with that, it would allow Coldplay to both please the fans who want more experimental and authentic music, and it would also allow them to keep their popularity and reputation as a band for doing big, bright and colorful stadium shows that have been synonymous with them in the 2010s. Because I like both sides of them (I just hope they don't go TOO poppy), this would suit me perfectly. I'm not so sure how likely this is though, as this era is the first time he's explicitly mentioned not caring about success anymore.

I've always thought that the track popularly know as Aiko was the original Aiko

This is what I thought at first too, that it was an early demo from that era and was later reworked into the bridge of MM, but as @I ran away mentions Oracle seems to confirm this is not the case:

I somehow recall that Debs (the Oracle) once confirmed the track popularly presumed to be Aiko from Live 2012 is NOT Aiko...

It still has more personality when it's called "Aiko" I think, but it is more likely than not that it's only a reprise of MM's bridge. Then there's a ton of other possibilities: perhaps Aiko is completely unrelated to MM, maybe it had a similar production style to what the fanbase knows as Aiko but shares none or little of the melodic elements, maybe Aiko had the melodic elements of MM's bridge and it was reworked into that song, or maybe Aiko was in fact the original demo rereleased under the "Jon Hopkins reprise from Live 2012" label. I think it's most likely that Aiko has nothing to do with what the fanbase knows as Aiko, but we never know.

In either case, this all started from Eko having an eerily similar name and time track, which is either mere coincidence or is somehow related to the original Aiko which may or may not have been that long. Apparently the leak's out, and I have yet to hear it, so only time will tell for me whether Eko has any relation to what the fanbase knows as Aiko whatsoever or not.

I have heard this many times and I yet to hear it. Is it suppose to be mimicking Jonny's riff after the chorus?

Oh dude you're totally missing out, you gotta check that right now :joy: it's been years!

Gosh, I think if we get anything at all it'll just be a few shows in smaller venues here and there like they did for Ghost Stories. Maybe a random summertime festival, kind of like how they played at Radio 1's Big Weekend in 2014.

Hopefully they come up my way still!

It seems as if they didn't work much on the songs but recorded them straight away without practising much and with all their imperfections.

Not sure what makes you think this. It would make sense seeing as I expected them to take a longer hiatus than they did, but the majority of the songs seem fleshed out enough, as does GS's songs. But even this person disagrees and thinks that GS was kind of mashed together:

I agree about Ghost Stories. It comes off as if they had no time to make the songs better and they just threw together something hurriedly.

And many people also think AHFOD was undercooked. Maybe you're right in the sense that they didn't work too much on the songs and were content with them, but I wouldn't see why they'd do that unless they wanted to challenge themselves while simultaneously aspiring to make more of an experimental album.

In either case, left unfinished or not, it seems like there's a community consensus that these songs are of a much higher quality than what has come before :joy:

I know he isn't getting any younger, but I have to admit he often looks way older than 42 at the moment.

Maybe 42 isn't the answer to life, the universe and anything after all..... :weary:

Agree with the GS/AHFOD comparison for potential LP8/LP9 comparison. Makes me somewhat worried for whatever's next. AHFOD is my least fave Coldplay album, but I think part of that is the production by Stargate and some of the songwriting (Fun, XMTS), not the timing. So maybe LP9 will slap and it's dumb to worry?

It's probably dumb to worry anyhow, seeing as we'll probably be getting at least another really good album from them.

And remember we might be completely off point about LP9 being this "era"'s version of AHFOD. I wouldn't mind if it was and Coldplay released albums in this manner until they quit to be brutally honest. Every era tells a different story however and is different, and they're saying they're not as worried about pleasing everybody anymore, so perhaps the days of the overly poppy albums are gone. Because even GS was poppy even if it did have more space and ambiance in it than most pop records. So this might be something completely different altogether, even if his words seem similar to the GS era. I just can't see him pulling at words and lying to help to extablish this album pattern.

All that being said, if Orphans WAS supposed to be for "the next thing" (maybe an EP but more likely LP9) signs are pointing to another pop album, which I won't mind if it doesn't go to the extent that Los Unidades did, and if this album turns out to be fantastic.

He'll say "it's very personal" but I'm sorry, Ghost Stories is one of the most impersonal break up albums ever. The lyrics on the Everyday Life track are as generalized as possible.

"Very personal" might seem a bit exaggerated, but I think he's trying to say that the album is inspired by things that has happened in his personal life strongly. Not that the lyrics themself only apply to his situation, and Coldplay has always been a band known for making generalized lyrics anyhow.

Of course Chris (and probably also the rest of the band) care about what people think of their music. They definitely want the audience to love their songs. If they didn't care at all, they wouldn't even release any music, but play together behind closed doors. They want to please at least those who like their music, but they are still upset about those who critizise them.

Maybe a little bit, but I'm pretty sure for the most part they wouldn't care. They want the people who want to hear it to hear it of course, which is why they're not playing it all behind closed doors, but it's more so that they shake off the criticism better than they used to. Sing like nobody's listening.

I'd say him mentioning the SB performance is more a result of him being pushed by the media, but perhaps he's a little bugged by it, or at least feels the need to bring it up for the people who liked it, or just to comment on it ya know? You could very well be right though.

we don't even know for sure whether they have planned another album after EL

Oh please let's not start with that..... even if they haven't I guarantee you they'll be back with another album sooner or later.

Chris has even mentioned Orphans was supposed to be for the "next thing they're doing", which obviously could be an EP but is most likely referring to LP9.

Yes, the music is better than the lyrics on this track but hey, there are definitely Coldplay songs like that.

I'd say most Coldplay songs are like that :joy:

Orphans

sounds genuinely happy and energetic

This is hilarious seeing as at least in your opinion Orphans still manages to be more energetic and happier than most AHFOD songs, even though lyrically Orphans is quite dark yet most on AHFOD are happy or at least far shallower than Orphans if they're sad.

Oh, what bad production can cause for music.....

I could be wrong but aren't they teaming up with Stargate on Church?

Yeah, but at least they're not ruining the whole album.

Coldplay has been around for over 20 years at this point. Chris has always tended to be a songwriter who focuses on the beauty of simplicity in lyrics. I don't know why it seems like people are thinking suddenly there will be this 180 change in songwriting unless you want someone other than Chris to write them.

I think the argument is not that their lyrics have been getting more general, moreso that the lyrical quality has just gotten worse. They've been using more "woo's" and what not recently, which I don't mind seeing as they have their place in singalong happy go lucky music, and are less lyrics and more an example of the voice being used as an accompanying instrument, but then you have the lyrics like "I oh i oh i feel like gettiing drunk and high so high so high" which is obviously garbage just looking at it, or similarly "I wanna know, when I can go, back and get drunk with my friends" which is only marginally less cringy. I also tend to think that at least in some aspects Coldplay has declined a little lyrically, but they still have moments of brilliance to this day. I think it's just that some of their lyrics are cringy to the point where it's hard not to cherry pick and blindly ignore all the good stuff they come up with.

Look at all the bitching about collabs or producers. It's frankly annoying. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Yep, they're accused of not being original and authentic enough (talent of the song playing itself coming from elsewhere, noticed somebody complaining about this since certain instruments in Arabesque were not played by them) when they collaborate, and they'll be accused of never branching out and doing the same thing over and over if they don't collaborate.

I tend to find that the more collaborators a song has, beyond a few, that actually the worse it gets. It's counter intuitive, but most artists who write their own music, and bands usually write the highest quality music. Once you see "ft." in a song title, or it has extra song writing credits, somehow the quality of the song goes down. Not sure why, it's probably related to some sort of marketing thing so people "fake" collaborate but it's really just for mo' money, and obviously commercial music wouldn't be very good. The first three Coldplay albums had no collabs, Viva is where some people think it's better and some think it's worse, they brought in a few extra producers and also brought in Jay Z, then Mylo with Rihanna is where most people begin to see it going downhill, then GS with Avicii, and AHFOD with Fun and Tove Lo. And don't forget Los Unidades with like 4 or 5 collabs per song that they were involved in, which I'll say is easily their worst work yet (and highly disappointing since their "first" "band picture" was freaking sick).

I think this album is a little different though, and it's not bringing collaborations in for the sole purpose of increasing interest and bringing it out to a wider audience so it can gain more popularity and thus generate more money, but they're collabing in an authentic manner where they're only looking to expand their musical palette. There are tons of collaborations on the album, most good, a few bad (Stargate, Max Martin). So unless there are these hipsters who only want Coldplay to stay in a little box forever and make indie piano pop rock for the rest of their days and never branch out to anyone else ever like they did for their first three albums, I think there's next to no reason to complain about the band's increased collaboration this era. So far it's only been a good thing, and many Oldplayers have never been this excited for an era since Viva. And that's saying something! I wonder how many people are serious about that though, since Midnight blew everyone away, and the rest of GS was a massive disappointment upon release from what I've heard......

During AHFOD Chris was doing more weight training and was bulkier which did make him look healthier. He seems to have stopped that and is back to skinny Chris again. Unfortunately as we age, the plumpness in our skin gies away and getting skinnier can make the face look older.

Maybe he's also not as healthy because he's not running around and jumping all over the stage every couple nights, which is also a very good source of exercise :joy:

I still wonder how (and why) many people are more focusing on lyrics of songs.

If the music in general sounds great I don't care much if the lyrics are good or bad. But hey that's just me.

I do agree, unless the lyrics are really that bad or cringy.

Better lyrics wouldn't hurt though. I always like me some real meaningful poetic stuff sometimes.

And everybody has their own opinions too, it depends on our taste. Some really really care about the lyrics, others not so much.

I took a little break from the band since we got those 3 songs

I did too, and I deeply regret it, even after I pledged to get on here more often so I wouldn't get behind in replying to yall.....

I'm very pleased to go through all the discussions even though it's fairly time-consuming.

Good to hear from you again! I was honestly wondering where you went!

I can totally hear you on that though. Moreover, REPLYING to everybody is aggravatingly time consuming. When I came on here last night and seen that there were pages up to 249 I almost lost it. This is going to be an EXTREMELY long post, and yes I know I'm insane and nobody else puts this much effort into their post :joy:

I don't understand why they only want to contact fans in the USA and Canada. They have fans everywhere!

Probably a technical limitation, or it would cost too much money to support international contact. Then again I have relatively little knowledge of the costs needed to support such a technology so I'm probably completely off base :joy:

what's this?

This is Steve Hackman's Beethoven vs Coldplay symphony. Google it. Nothing to do with LP8. :)

Of course. Google never fails to disappoint.....

I feel like it might take longer. AHFOD only leaked 3-4 days before iirc.

Didn't it leak around Nov. 27th? Could have sworn that was the case.

they have begun to sound stale.

Well that's not great at all, you better have stopped listening to those specific songs now that it's leaked!

Tbe same thing happened with me with UiF and True Love. Both songs I'm sure you hate by default, but I can definitely relate with hearing a song too much and it just becoming overplayed and stale.

Or Mike Beever (Brothers & Sisters EP) or Chris Allison (The Blue Room). Wonder what these guys are doing nowadays.

As unlikely as that is that would be freaking awesome, both EPs have echoey really ambient parts, and pre Parachutes demos reveal the same sort of production style. It's too bad we didn't get to hear more of pre Parachutes Coldplay, because they seriously might have some of the best production Coldplay's ever had. That being said.....

Well I doubt it's gonna be either of them but especially not Chris Allison. The band and him did not work well together. He was the one who told the band Will wasn't good enough for them.

I know adults can still hold grudges but it's not impossible that they wouldn't be able to work together again. It HAS been 2 decades, you know. They should be mature enough to move past that if they met again, which is still very unlikely. It would just be so awesome to hear some of that really authentic pre Parachutes Coldplay echoey drowned production again.

It really depends... Ghost Stories leaked 14 days before its release. I feel like it could be anytime now! This week for sure, it's almost unmanageable for a band this big to keep a studio work under wraps these days.

Exactly, different albums have different leak dates. It might be so that nowadays leaks are more difficult, but hey the album's already leaked a week before release, so maybe that's unbased, even though @shred noted that was 2014.

Even though it might be more difficult to leak albums these days, if any label distributes some of their music to radio stations and review outlets it is bound to leak at some point, it's just not stoppable no matter how technologically advanced you get with it. It's an inherent risk that I'm sure they realize and accept, and proceed to take even though there's no way to stop it.

So Chris confirmed that they are doing a couple of shows and then going back in to hibernation for the "next thing". No promo trips to Australia. They did one even for GS. So I'm guessing this is going to be a very sparse, mostly off radar album. Definitely very intentional decision. So any of us would be very lucky to attend a show/live performance this era.

I'm hoping for at least GS level of exposure, but doesn't look like that will happen.

Yeah, I'm quite surprised actually. I know it's quite personal to him and all, but out of the two albums I would have guessed that GS was more likely to have less exposure. With topics like these, wouldn't you wanna spread the word as much as possible? I know they're probably still recovering from that massive AHFOD world tour, but if they say they're not really concerned about upsetting people anymore..... what else would they have to lose if they did another big world tour specifically for this album? I do suppose that bands like RATM literally live on the basis of making political statements through their music, and if Coldplay tried to do something similar this far into their career they could lose a fair bit of their support (even though Chris has been progressively more vocal about these issues as of recently, and it's infiltrated their music much more as well). It would be somewhat of a risky move for them to take this very politically charged album on tour, even if people should know their stances on these issues by now if they know Coldplay well enough to attend one of their concerts (you never know though, half the people probably only know their hit singles and could care less about what their political stances are, until they show them in their music and they heavily conflict with what they have to say)

Definitely worried we’re going to get AHFOD 2.0 with “the next thing”

And if this happens, as the trend as gone, it'll probably be even more watered down. I just hope they don't turn into what they did with the Global Citizen 1 EP or whatever it was called from Los Unidades. That's crossing the line for me, even though I know you have far less of a tolerance for pop than me, both of us wouldn't like it then :joy:

Such a shame they aren't touring this album a little bit. It is in fact somewhat annoying that they never play their best stuff live (even from AHFOD they focused on the less good songs, and don't even get me started on Kaleidoscope EP...) :(

Probably because the songs Oldplayers like less are the more popular, mainstream and accessible stuff "everybody" wants to hear, so they'll play those more, and play what we REALLY want to hear less.

If they aren’t touring, at least give us a live DVD and/or documentary on the recording process. :D

Yes, if they did it for GS surely they could do it for EL, after all they should spend some of their effort on something besides the album, and seeing as they're doing a full album playthrough in Jordan they should definitely do something like that this era I think.

Even if it seems like they'll be going even more low key this era than GS.

Blink-182 did a thing throughout the lead-up to their latest album Nine where you could call a phone number and it'd play a teaser from the upcoming single. I tried calling Coldplay's Community number just in case they tried doing the same thing. It was worth a try, got to hear that message from Phil which was cool :D

Well I'm glad they didn't just totally rip them off at least :joy:

live versions of ASFOS starting around late 2015 or so. His playing is noticeably different

I wouldn't say I really noticed a difference between the first live versions of ASFOS and live versions starting around late 2015 (because I wasn't a Coldplay fan back then to be able to listen to the early live versions, and haven't gotten around to listening to those versions), but I will say that that's around when I became a Coldplay fan and when they did..... I think it was the iHeartRadio show they played ASFOS and I already liked the song, but I was blown away by the extra percussion from Will. Ever since I've always liked his drumming on the live version and have preferred it to the studio, even if I listen to the studio way more

I feel though it might be that they are really releasing LP9 in late 2020 and prior to that appearing at Global Citizen Festival.

If they do end up playing GC before LP9, it'll prob be deja vu for me, cause I remember the GC fest before AHFOD for the first time they played a song off the album and I was so excited lol. Wonder if the same thing will happen then.

In the Australien interview Chris says that they won't be playing Glastenbury next year. That's a surprise, most of us thought they would play there. They probably don't have enough 'great' songs for a huge event. Chris has repeatedly said that many of the songs in LP8 are just voice memos. It seems as if an album that they can tour is still far away.

Well they've played Glasto many times before, of course they have more than enough great songs to play it again. They might not have the big pop hits from this era, but that shouldn't matter if they've had lots of success in the past, and many smaller bands can also make it into Glasto.

There's nothing wrong with taking a break for once though. Perhaps the whole point of this era is to keep a low profile, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're super burnt out with fame and just want some downtime for an era even.

Yes, and he said it was a mish-mash of styles, of little snippets, pieces, voice memos and some songs and bits of songs. The band asked him to just put them together and when he played them Guy said that it was ok and he should leave it as it was.

If you ask me that sounds a lot like Arabesque.....

I'm a bit worried about this album the more I listen to Chris talking about it. They seem not to have put much energy and work into it. It's probably called 'Everyday Life' because it is nothing special, nothing they cared much about.

I hope you're wrong, but that would make a whole lot of sense if that's what it turns out to be :joy:

Am i the only one Who want magic live?

Here at least? Yes.

Sorry, but Magic has been played a million times live in the AHFOD era. I heard it twice when I went to the 2 concerts. It's time for a seldom played song to shine.

---------------------

Okay, so all the comments after this seem to be relating to the leaks. As I have not heard the leak yet and I would like to steer clear of any spoilers, this is all I'll be replying to for now. At least until I hear the leak for myself (if I can freaking find it).

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

We now have less than one week until the official release date. Wow! I still can't believe that we've got LP8 this quickly, I expected the band's so-called "hibernation" to last into next year.

This is what I thought at first too, that it was an early demo from that era and was later reworked into the bridge of MM, but as @I ran away mentions Oracle seems to confirm this is not the case:

It still has more personality when it's called "Aiko" I think, but it is more likely than not that it's only a reprise of MM's bridge. Then there's a ton of other possibilities: perhaps Aiko is completely unrelated to MM, maybe it had a similar production style to what the fanbase knows as Aiko but shares none or little of the melodic elements, maybe Aiko had the melodic elements of MM's bridge and it was reworked into that song, or maybe Aiko was in fact the original demo rereleased under the "Jon Hopkins reprise from Live 2012" label. I think it's most likely that Aiko has nothing to do with what the fanbase knows as Aiko, but we never know.

In either case, this all started from Eko having an eerily similar name and time track, which is either mere coincidence or is somehow related to the original Aiko which may or may not have been that long. Apparently the leak's out, and I have yet to hear it, so only time will tell for me whether Eko has any relation to what the fanbase knows as Aiko whatsoever or not.

Okay, so all the comments after this seem to be relating to the leaks. As I have not heard the leak yet and I would like to steer clear of any spoilers, this is all I'll be replying to for now. At least until I hear the leak for myself (if I can freaking find it).

All I'm gonna say about the supposed Aiko-Eko connection without spoiling whether or not Eko is the same as the track popularly known as Aiko... is that I really like both. ;)

It should be noted that the name Aiko refers to Mylo's father in the MX comics. So it makes sense that, if Aiko is the same as Eko, the spelling would be changed to something that fits a new era better.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1