✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

stephen

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm wondering if we'll get to hear Will sing on this album, if he and Jonny have a song together. I love his voice. He's a great singer, for sure.

That would be MEGA, I love Will's voice. I think there's a chance - btw, I think that now on there's pretty much a chance for almost anything. AHFOD was their "last chapter", now they're up for something else.

• Like 3

I Ran Away is one of their best songs!!!! I dont get it either, but one can only hope, one day, that changes...

btw, that cover was great and it made me tear up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aww thank you so much !

SJLT. They said it on the image. Something Just Like This. A perfect example of a song with great lyrics and poor music, minus Jonny's solo at the end. I feel like I say that last part a lot.

I feel like @AnaMarie was probably pointing out that they misspelled SJLT on the setlist :D

• Like 4

1. Wow great job to everyone following all the clues. I feel like the coldplay.com sun and moon have gotten smaller but again, anecdotal.

2. I would love to have Will sing. On The 2nd Law by Muse there are 2 songs sung by Chris (the bassist) instead of Matt, and they are excellent. Will is one in a long line of backup singers who have better singing from a technical perspective than the lead singer (see the Edge vs Bono in U2, Pete Townshend vs Roger Daltrey in the Who to name a couple EDIT: and Liam and Noel Gallagher x100000). I still want a Will song even if his voice is more "boring."

• Like 4

While I think thats a very slim chance, I am excited about what songs they dust off for this era. Previous years it was Warning Sign, or Shiver, What If. Wonder what comes next? I need me some more Politik live!

It did annoy me when they got rid of Politik after a few shows in 2016. I loved what they did with the visuals, and I actually prefer the Midnight outro after Politik instead of Clocks (which is what they eventually went with)

Politik is still the best freaking concert opener!!!!!!!

I'd die of happiness if I thought they were gonna open with the first song on the new album, then suddenly Chris does that funny little scream from the beginning of Live 2003, and Politik starts.

I wish they had a more diverse setlist that included older album tracks and B-sides as well. During the AHFOD Tour some of us ran this project to get the band to perform I Ran Away:

...but of course nothing happened. The request feature, which was supposed to be for older songs, turned out to be a joke sadly as they mostly chose either In My Place or UATW or Don't Panic lol. But mostly In My Place :D I later learnt they didn't even fulfill Mat Whitecross' wish of performing Careful Where You Stand on the C-stage at one of the shows, and he has been their friend for 20 years, so our project was doomed to fail. I really don't know why they are so averse to performing old songs...

What I don’t understand is why they brought in some cool old songs at the beginning of the tour in Latin America and then mostly stuck with the three you mentioned. :oops: Not that those were bad performances (Will singing In My Place? Yessssssss!). But they tried songs like Speed of Sound, AROBTTH, and Swallowed In the Sea only once before ignoring them for the rest of the tour. Kinda disappointing when you can predict the "fan request" song every night. But whatever. I'm going to take what I can get at my next show. I still haven't witnessed a C-stage performance from them at all. I guess acoustic Everglow was close though.

• Like 7

I wish they would bring back Hurts Like Heaven. I thought AHFOD is a great opener song actually. Square One is so cool with the countdown though. So much to choose from. <3

Agreed that the request thing got kind of stale. So much they could've chosen from.

ALSO has anyone attempted to speculate about the file name of the sun-moon image on the Coldplay site? It's referred to as "OG_image" in the source code. What could that mean? Origin? Original gangster? Optical game? ?!?! (It's not letting me upload the file but just view the source code and you'll see what I mean)

• Like 8

1. Wow great job to everyone following all the clues. I feel like the coldplay.com sun and moon have gotten smaller but again, anecdotal.

2. I would love to have Will sing. On The 2nd Law by Muse there are 2 songs sung by Chris (the bassist) instead of Matt, and they are excellent. Will is one in a long line of backup singers who have better singing from a technical perspective than the lead singer (see the Edge vs Bono in U2, Pete Townshend vs Roger Daltrey in the Who to name a couple). I still want a Will song even if his voice is more "boring."

I see Chris and Will's voices as kind of like Liam and Noel in Oasis. Both are pretty good in their own way, they just each have their own unique style. I think Noel can sing any Oasis song and sound fine. But some songs are better for him, and some are better for Liam. The difference with Coldplay is that Chris is so much more recognizable, so he's typically the one who takes center stage. I do want Will to get his own song on an album, though. Ideally something really stripped-down and acoustic, he excels with those kinds of songs.

ALSO has anyone attempted to speculate about the file name of the sun-moon image on the Coldplay site? It's referred to as "OG_image" in the source code. What could that mean? Origin? Original gangster? Optical game? ?!?! (It's not letting me upload the file but just view the source code and you'll see what I mean)

It looks like "OG" refers to something called "Open Graph Protocol." Maybe any folks here who are well-versed in web design could tell you more.

https://ogp.me/

• Like 6

Haha, I doubt it. Funny that you found this archive - Beat Club was the first German TV show dedicated to rock music back in the 60s/70s (way before my time :D) and many bands and musicians now considered to be legends played there.

Oh, I didn't know it was German TV show.

I googled beatclub and this show up.

Anyway, it may not be related because it's 60s/70s, way too far from 1919.

• Like 1

It did annoy me when they got rid of Politik after a few shows in 2016. I loved what they did with the visuals, and I actually prefer the Midnight outro after Politik instead of Clocks (which is what they eventually went with)

I'd die of happiness if I thought they were gonna open with the first song on the new album, then suddenly Chris does that funny little scream from the beginning of Live 2003, and Politik starts.

What I don’t understand is why they brought in some cool old songs at the beginning of the tour in Latin America and then mostly stuck with the three you mentioned. :oops: Not that those were bad performances (Will singing In My Place? Yessssssss!). But they tried songs like Speed of Sound, AROBTTH, and Swallowed In the Sea only once before ignoring them for the rest of the tour. Kinda disappointing when you can predict the "fan request" song every night. But whatever. I'm going to take what I can get at my next show. I still haven't witnessed a C-stage performance from them at all. I guess acoustic Everglow was close though.

It was weird that they kept playing the same songs over and over. What is it about Us Against the World or Green Eyes that made them want to play those two songs so much? If I had to guess I'd say that they decided it was too much work to keep learning new songs (we even saw Chris forget a lot of the end part in Strawberry Swing) so they just stuck to a few. Somehow I feel like they won't be doing it again (but who knows)...

• Like 4

I'm so tired but I'm gonna try and make myself stay up for a couple more hours. Gotta see if we get another teaser clip 24 hours after the first (it was 1 am here)

It was weird that they kept playing the same songs over and over. What is it about Us Against the World or Green Eyes that made them want to play those two songs so much? If I had to guess I'd say that they decided it was too much work to keep learning new songs (we even saw Chris forget a lot of the end part in Strawberry Swing) so they just stuck to a few. Somehow I feel like they won't be doing it again (but who knows)...

They even stopped playing See You Soon, and it was as gorgeous in 2016 as it was in 2003. Odd...

I also wonder why they didn't play more songs from the Kaleidoscope EP. They played Something Just Like This quite often but barely ever touched the other songs.

• Like 5

I think we might have been unnecessarily biased towards expecting an experimental album based on a random tabloid article.

One of those really unreputable tabloids at that. That's on us. I'm letting that idea go and keeping an open mind from now on.

Having Timbaland produce one song doesn’t mean the album isn’t experimental.

• Like 5

Don't know if anyone has said this or not, but after hearing the 15 second teaser and hearing those strings, someone on the Facebook post said that maybe the album could be an album of reworkings of different Coldplay tracks from their past albums. Maybe the reworked songs will be the youtube videos that the thumbnails were changed to black and white and have the symbol on them? Maybe orchestra reworkings of old songs.

There’s zero chance they’re making a global marketing campaign for a reworked compilation album. It’s new material, I promise you.

• Like 6

I also wonder why they didn't play more songs from the Kaleidoscope EP. They played Something Just Like This quite often but barely ever touched the other songs.

Yes, that was annoying as hell. We all went to the 2017 shows again expecting there would be a changed setlist with the Kaleidoscope EP songs just as they did with Prospekt's March during the Viva tour, but nope. SJLT instead of Amazing Day and the rest of the songs either got played only once (AICTAIY, MSS) or once in a half-assed manner (Hypnotised) or not at all (ALIENS).

• Like 6
  • Sad 2