✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Track 12 - Coloratura | Music of the Spheres

3 hours ago, rasp03 said:

Long time lurker here to comment on this song. An absolute masterpiece!! Blow away at how beautiful it is!

Couple of things...

1. The first part of the song could totally be a Bond song

2. This song sounds like a combo between Moving to Mars and the 2nd half of the song X & Y.

Absolutely stunning song!

Agree, still feel those X&Y vibes and I think is the perfect combination. X&Y is full of very good pieces and Coldplay know it, imo the reason the don't see with good eyes that album is because all of the things they went through as a band, but among all I think they created some good stuff ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rasp03 said:

Long time lurker here to comment on this song. An absolute masterpiece!! Blow away at how beautiful it is!

Couple of things...

1. The first part of the song could totally be a Bond song

2. This song sounds like a combo between Moving to Mars and the 2nd half of the song X & Y.

Absolutely stunning song!

Agree, still feel those X&Y vibes and I think is the perfect combination. X&Y is full of very good pieces and Coldplay know it, imo the reason the don't see with good eyes that album is because all of the things they went through as a band, but among all I think they created some good stuff ?

3 hours ago, IcebatofvalikinRRBZ8 said:

What if Orphans stayed on MOTS? What planet would it have been? What track number?

Knowing what we know so far im not sure how Orphans would fit in the context of the album. Ill have a more complete answer once I hear the entire album in full.

• Like 1

Does anyone know the meaning behind coloratura? It feels like it’s about someone who is in love with the idea and feels the need to go explore the universe but with today’s technology restraints they can’t do that and for now all they have is that person they love on the planet they’re on. What does everyone think?

As a prog rock fan (namely Pink Floyd and King Crimson) I really appreciate this song and am now more optimistic towards the new album. It's still not as good as anything on EL but certainly miles better than most of the stuff on AHFOD and MX. First of all I think it's way too long for what it offers. They should have cut some parts shorter and made other sections longer. Secondly there's not enough of Jonny to really make it sound more progressive. And lastly the song doesn't really have an interesting composition (see Arabesque) and so after a few listens there isn't much to draw you back in. Overall a solid 7 for me. Just to compare, Everything's Not Lost (especially the Live 2003 version) gets a 10 from me and it's not much shorter than this.

I sincerely hope the rest of the album is more akin to Coloratura than HP or My Universe.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, jphantom said:

Does anyone know the meaning behind coloratura? It feels like it’s about someone who is in love with the idea and feels the need to go explore the universe but with today’s technology restraints they can’t do that and for now all they have is that person they love on the planet they’re on. What does everyone think?

If you're talking about the word, it exists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coloratura

I feel this whole album is about discovering new worlds and Coldplay did, with this track they're exploring musically seen a new terrain and I really appreciate that. You can hear them experimenting. I think they did it pretty well, because I feel the song through my entire body. Therefore, I'm not so happy with all those references to Pink Floyd. Because it is not Pink Floyd, it will not be Pink Floyd and it doesn't have to be Pink Floyd. This is Coldplay making me proud as producing brand new stunning Coldplay music. That makes it such unique! ❤️?????

13 minutes ago, WhiteShadow7 said:

I feel this whole album is about discovering new worlds and Coldplay did, with this track they're exploring musically seen a new terrain and I really appreciate that. You can hear them experimenting. I think they did it pretty well, because I feel the song through my entire body. Therefore, I'm not so happy with all those references to Pink Floyd. Because it is not Pink Floyd, it will not be Pink Floyd and it doesn't have to be Pink Floyd. This is Coldplay making me proud as producing brand new stunning Coldplay music. That makes it such unique! ❤️?????

It's a huge compliment to sound like PF. That doesn't take anything away from Coldplay right? They have achieved something great by sounding this good in a pretty much unexplored teretory for them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Upon first listening, I found it hard to believe this was Coldplay initially. That said, as the song progressed & Chris began to sing, I became mesmerized to know that they are truly pushing the envelope here with incredible results. Bravo Chris, Guy, Jonny, & Will. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Famous_Old_Painter said:

Wasn't Coloratura described like heaven? For me this song is about appreciateing what you've got on this planet before we go to Coloratura.

Exactly, and about how love and faith help us get through any hardship and make life worthwhile.

24 minutes ago, Famous_Old_Painter said:

It's a huge compliment to sound like PF. That doesn't take anything away from Coldplay right? They have achieved something great by sounding this good in a pretty much unexplored teretory for them.

I really love Pink Floyd, and in terms of appreciation, Coloratura is good stuff so the comparison to Pink Floyd is a huge compliment indeed. Initially, when I heard this song for the first time, I thought to Pink Floyd as well. Suppose they are the masters of the prog rock genre. But what I was trying to say is that I like this song as being a Coldplay song as well and you can hear that clearly. Besides they're not much imitating PF oslt. 

• Like 2

we had to go through 10 years of disappointments to have this one, just to know that they can still properly play and compose quality music. It's a pity that this one (and maybe Human Heart) will be the only song(s) to look for on this era

7 minutes ago, beastwars said:

we had to go through 10 years of disappointments to have this one, just to know that they can still properly play and compose quality music. It's a pity that this one (and maybe Human Heart) will be the only song(s) to look for on this era

Several others songs on MOTS that should be great 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Famous_Old_Painter said:

Wasn't Coloratura described like heaven? For me this song is about appreciateing what you've got on this planet before we go to Coloratura.

I got the sense of “heaven” with this song, as well. Feels like a lot of heavenly imagery, with the sense that everyone who has gone before is there waiting for us. 

What's so interesting about Coldplay throughout their career is how songs can have a total different feel with production and mixing. Coloratura is a next-level musical engineering experience that feels 10x better put together than Higher Power and the leaked MU. Sometimes music just has such a professional, rich sound to it that just feels classic. The production on this song reminds me quite a bit of Random Access Memories, and given how there's gonna be some dancy songs on the record that might be a good comparison album, given how Coldplay often will give big pop songs, then big rock songs, then big prog songs. 

Yeah I'm just so blown away. Right now it's gonna be the Arabesque of MOTS most likely -- a standout track that will be a fan favorite forever. But boy I hope they revisit Coloratura in some capacity on the next volumes.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, beastwars said:

I made my account here after X&Y because of how much I enjoyed that album (as well as their previous two releases). I honestly have not enjoyed anything since that album. Coloratura immediately took me back to X&Y but added even more progressive elements I had longed for then. Really exciting to hear them write something like this because I feel they always had potential to do something proggy. The elements were even there in Parachutes and Rush. 

• Like 2

I was astounded when I first heard this. I agree - it’s the ultimate gift for the fans!

you hear so many songs here but it is a beautiful journey…I would say it invokes so many eras too but mostly the vibe is MX meets EL meets a bit of GS too!

really a sensation of a closer song. 

it’ll be a great album but what is interesting is that so far only the BTS combo which will surely be hyped and it will perform well in the charts, feels like an unneccesary song really.

But so many positives to take from this…amazing!

• stephen changed the title to Track 12 - Coloratura | Music of the Spheres
  • stephen pinned, unpinned and featured this topic