Charlie Brown play back backing vocals

k2sriram96

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzENxPtyoT0"]Coldplay Montreal 2012 July 27 2012 Charlie Brown - YouTube[/ame]

You can see in the part "light a fire, light a spark" none of the band are sining, but you can still hear singing ):

MosesTheMarshmallow

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Coldplayer
Poop. :( :(

I'm pretty sure all the band members are singing on top of the backing track though when they perform it otherwise (you can hear later in the video when Chris is a little louder than everything else). If you watch the acoustic performance with Chris and Jonny, you also see that they're both singing. I often feel like Guy isn't singing though because his facial expressions don't reflect the effort needed to sing.

Either way, I too wish they wouldn't use backing tracks for vocals...they really need to scale it back, because ALL of them are good singers, yet they feel the need to embellish things nonetheless.

Lukestar1991

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
Coldplay Montreal 2012 July 27 2012 Charlie Brown - YouTube

You can see in the part "light a fire, light a spark" none of the band are singing, but you can still hear singing ):
I dont mean to come across funny, but have you only just noticed this now? :stunned:
They've been doing this ever since 2005 with Fix you and then its been pretty much like that for every song they performed off of Viva onwards.

I've noticed this alot, Guy is the best mimer going! If you listen to soundboard recordings, or IEMs theres only ever Jonny (in addition to Will of course) doing any singing at all, even though he doesnt have much of a voice at all. Jonny still has a go though. I think theres actually a video of him on youtube doing a soundcheck for the today show were you can hear him singing just a little bit too clearly..

And i obviously agree, but of course its not so much about them using backing tracks and orchestrations, its about how they write and record their songs and then perform them. I think stripping things back has been a bit too long in coming seen as though they were meant to be doing that last time round :\

k2sriram96

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Ironically I disagree with both of you haha

I think backing vocals are okay, if it helps in providing the dynamism that is needed in stadiums when performing etc. I also think that Guy doesn't lipsync, if ever, all members sing above the playback. They used to do it in Every Teardrop and Paradise live, they stopped though. And fi you look at the Charlie Brown in the aussie and live 2012 i think they stopped there as well, its not as dynamic and chris goes into his falsetto and you cant hear his bass voice

42JTR

Watching my life on the skyline
Coldplayer
The backing vocals are okay, I mean a lot of their songs feature a lot of singing, but I agree they could turn the volume down a bit and sing a bit more and a bit louder themselves, they all CAN sing! I think Will always sings the backings live( but there's always a recorded vocal underneath it) and Jonny mostly sings live (but again with a lot of backing tracks) and Guy, well, he doesn't even look like he singing he's just miming....

Batman

My batshake brings all the spam to the yard
Coldplayer
Of course they do, that's old news!

Lukestar1991

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
Come to think of it, they could always do what Elbow do and have mics at the side of the stage and ramps to capture everyone in the audience singing :)

Linus

Forever in Coldplay history
Coldplayer
if u use it for backing vocals i think it's okey, but when u use playback to do all the singing u've gone too far

though if u can't sing, u don't realy have much of a choise right? :p
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUUznAjKTh8"]LiveLeak com - What Britney Spears Really Sounds Like On Stage - YouTube[/ame]