✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Rank the Ghost Stories songs!

I'm so happy with the fact that Guy is totally back. His bass is amazing in almost all songs. Guy did a great job! (in producing the album as well) But I'm so proud of all of them. This album is so different but yet so Coldplay. Heartfelt, amazing and beautiful. Amazing.

it's funny that they promoted the album with 2 worst songs of the album, has it become a rule since MX?

They have to promote these two songs. They are the only two songs that can be promoted to a larger audience.

I heard at the radio Magic and A Sky Full Of Stars 10 times in two days. It's quite refreshing to hear Coldplay again.

now that i've heard the studio versions of all songs here's the first impressions.. also note that just cause i rank a song last does not mean i don't like it, i think every song on this album is actually pretty good (something rarely found in 2014 music..) anyways here we go...

Always In My Head

Another's Arms

Ink

O

Midnight

A Sky Full of Stars

Oceans

Magic

True Love

also, is anyone else having a weird time with the outro solo on 'true love'? i like the last little quick bit but the first notes just sound wrong? idk clearly jonny's not playing the wrong notes but they seem like they don't fit in the song....

It just sounds so fantastic and seamless. I was impressed how well ASFOS fit in because I really didn't think it would but wow. Ink and O stand out for me at the moment but that could probably be the novelty of new songs. Simply stunning.

1. Oceans. I loved it since the BBCR1 performance. It sounds like Parachutes meets Atlas

2. O. Oh, the piano

3. Always in My Head. Just, beautiful

now that i've heard the studio versions of all songs here's the first impressions.. also note that just cause i rank a song last does not mean i don't like it, i think every song on this album is actually pretty good (something rarely found in 2014 music..) anyways here we go...

Always In My Head

Another's Arms

Ink

O

Midnight

A Sky Full of Stars

Oceans

Magic

True Love

also, is anyone else having a weird time with the outro solo on 'true love'? i like the last little quick bit but the first notes just sound wrong? idk clearly jonny's not playing the wrong notes but they seem like they don't fit in the song....

I do, man. If I rank it as the whole, True Love would be the last. The outro is very weird

Always In My Head

Another's Arms

Ink

O

Midnight

A Sky Full of Stars

Oceans

Magic

True Love

I think the band wanted these notes to sound a bit odd. You could interprete these "weird sounding" notes as the musical way of expressing the lyrics. The beauty of the sentence "I love you" is damaged by the fact that the girl is lying: "So tell me you love me. If you don't then lie"

However, the harmonic tension is always released because Johnny bends the tones a half-tone upwards so that they are back in the scale.

I really like these weird parts in songs because they make music much more interesting.

In order:

1. Ink- Might be that I've only just heard it but I think it sounds sublime. I think they will have 5 of GS as Singles, this has to be one of them.

2. A Sky Full of Stars- It's the song that gives this album the edge. Can't wait to experience it live.

3. O- A beautiful song, great way to round off the album.

4. True Love- It's a very, very nice song.

5. Oceans- I love the sonar effects in this.

6. Always In My Head- A lovely song, rightly the opener to the album.

7. Midnight- Something that we've never heard from Coldplay before, and it worked.

8. Magic- A nice song to sing along to. Surprised it was the 1st single though.

9. Another's Arms- It's last, but it's still a song I love. Probably would have ranked at least 6th on Mylo.

In order:

1. Ink- Might be that I've only just heard it but I think it sounds sublime. I think they will have 5 of GS as Singles, this has to be one of them.

2. A Sky Full of Stars- It's the song that gives this album the edge. Can't wait to experience it live.

3. O- A beautiful song, great way to round off the album.

4. True Love- It's a very, very nice song.

5. Oceans- I love the sonar effects in this.

6. Always In My Head- A lovely song, rightly the opener to the album.

7. Midnight- Something that we've never heard from Coldplay before, and it worked.

8. Magic- A nice song to sing along to. Surprised it was the 1st single though.

9. Another's Arms- It's last, but it's still a song I love. Probably would have ranked at least 6th on Mylo.

agreed on a sky full of stars even if it has EDM its still a really good song,not to mention the live part like you said

Guys,

Has been an honor wait with you in these days full of hype,

has been an honor to know that other people like you in these days can't slept well, know that everybody dreamed about this album

...good album for all of you!

See you next time in others thread, in concerts, in every song of this amazing band

...see you next time in "LP7 thread..."

Just finished my first listen. I can totally hear the influences from past albums. This album felt very much like it took a lot from other of the older albums...

Now my rankings...

1. Always in my head- I loved it from when I very first heard it. Very simplistic but the simpleness is what is so beautiful about this song.

2. O - Caught me right from the start. This song is just heartbreaking, great piano. The lyrics are very meaningful I love it... So sad... "Maybe one day I can fly with you" hit me hard...

3. Magic - this song to me represents the lifeless-ness that comes after a heart break. I didn't love it at first but the drums in it are amazing. This one really captured me after some time.

4. A sky full of stars - The place in the album is great! I wasn't too fond at first but this song gets really catchy!

5. Oceans- Love the sonar going off throughout the song. I definitely need more listens.

6 Midnight- I don't see myself listening to this song much in the future but I love the placement in the album! That really made me like it more. This song is just a song you listen too well at midnight it's relaxing.

7. Ink - I need more listens but it's pretty decent.

8. True Love- again I need more listens

9, Another's arms- the lyrics are pretty shite.

I love all of the songs, but if pressed to rank them it would go like this...

Ok, this doesn't work. I equally love some of the songs so ...

First place is shared between my favorites of the album - A Sky Full of Stars(amazing happy dance song),

Ink(happy and edgy 'modern' song), True Love(true love poem) and O(even truer love poem).

Second place - Magic(Upbeat and energetic), Another Arms(great sing along dark song, similar to Major Minus in style), Oceans(classic Coldplay)

Third Place - Always in my Head(great intro), Midnight(experimental).

Keeping it simple, but so much to say about all the tracks, the transitions, the instrumentals - Coldplay, thank you - the music is beyond amazing!!!

1. O (instrumental) into Always In MY Head (one of their best openers - and I love all their openers - mx into hlh, lit, politik, don't panic, square one) - Sets the stage perfectly with that ethereal soothing instrumental and then into a gloriously chill but emotional track (jonny's guitar lines are so good)

2. Midnight - another world.. nuff said. O - atlas' cousin - the vocal and piano line are classic and so heartfelt... flock of birds...

3. Oceans into Sky Full of Stars - with that sonar like drum pad beat, and simple guitar, then synth, then instrumental, then boom! from the oceans to the sky full of stars - great transition. ASFOS really fits for me in this album and the concept/story of it. It's a beautiful uplifting track that gives hope to Chris and all of us. Glad it's on the album.

4. True Love (heard this live) - loved the opening and the vocal line with that synth and drum beat, but for some reason jonny's guitar line seemed off key live - but hearing the studio version love it - in Jonny I trust!

5. Magic, Another's arms - Magic (didn't know what to make of this, thought it was ok, but it really has grown on me and I love it, the simple bass line with gradual build up - very chill but pop at the same time, that bass line, drum and guitar - gotta love G, W, and J. Another's arms - didn't like the itunes festival version, but when i saw it live I really liked it especially with visuals, but the studio version, I like even more with the effects on Chris' voice and the synth effects/drum beats. - Kudos to them

6. Ink - didn't like it initially, felt kind out of place, but Im liking it on repeat listens - has a Sleeping Sun vibe to it, which I always thought it was such an underrated b-side - definitely some tracy chapman influence, but Coldplay could always write some nice acoustic guitar lines. The lyrics are a bit strange for me, but it's a good song.

overall, up there in the top albums for me. this trilogy is fantastic - Im planning on listening to all three albums then comparing to the original trilogy - what growth and progress - it's amazing to witness this over a 15 yr period. Thank you Coldplay!

It began with "Clocks". Then I became a real fan thanks to X&Y and since a several years now I am a big fan.

So, I will try to be more active on the forum as well. It was a great honor to participate in the "leak thread".

Now my list of the album after hearing it for several times now, thanks to the iTunes stream:

1. O - A stunning song, full of emotion. The first time I heard it I was fighting against a tear or two. One of my new favorites I think.

2. Always In My Head - A very catchy song, which stays in your head. The right title and a perfect opening of the album. The guitars are at their best in this song.

3. Ink - Superb song. Makes you feel wonderful and you can hear their experimenting skills. Also catchy guitar-rhythms

4. A Sky Full of Stars- The most commercial song of the album. I was a little afraid it wouldn't fit on the album, but after hearing the whole, it's just amazing how complete this album is. I think this is the VLV and Charlie Brown of Ghost Stories and especially live it will be a great pleasure to hear it.

5. True Love - Much emotion, very instrumental and I like the sounds in it. You can hear the energie in the guitar solo. A symphony of love.

6. Another's Arms - Very good song. Gives me some ghost feelings and the vocals are nice, but not so good as the songs above.

7. Oceans - Parachutes song, guitars are perfect and I like the sonar kind effect.

8. Magic - A nice song, but I find it when I did hear it for the first time a little to simple.. and I still can't place it somewhere for no specific reason. But as a whole, it fits the album.

9. Midnight - Something completely new, wasn't used to it. However I ranked it last, I like the song. Also I like the effort to experiment. And it works. Because how more often I listen to it, I like it more and more...

My third favourite album.

AROBTTH > X&Y > GS > MX > VLVODAAHF > Parachutes

1. O 10/10

2. Midnight 10/10

3. A Sky Full of Stars 9.5/10

4. Always In My Head 9/10

5. True Love 9/10

6. Magic 9/10

7. Another's Arms 8.5/10

8. Ink 8/10

9. Oceans 8/10

I know this is gonna change though...the order of the songs and the ratings.

1. Always In My Head -- 10

2. Magic -- 8

3. Ink -- 8

4. True Love -- 9

5. Midnight -- 10

6. Another's Arms -- 8.5

7. Oceans -- 9

8. A Sky Full of Stars -- 6

9. O -- 10

And as for how it falls amongst the albums...

VIVA > AROBTTH > Ghost Stories > Parachutes > MX > X&Y

AIMH: 8.5/10

Magic: 8.5/10

Ink: 6.5/10

True Love: 7.5/10

Midnight: 7.5/10

Another's Arms: 8.5/10

Oceans: 9/10

ASFOS: 3/10

O: 7/10

And the fade-out (still confused about whether this is O and the piano part is Fly On): better than The Escapist

Overall: Better than MX and X&Y.