✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kaleidoscope EP

guy42

Yes. But I feel even a Coldplay version would not be on par with Hypnotised, AICTAIY and the other soundcheck that is probably ALIENS.

I agree, but it might make it somewhat more bearable.

And there is always the skip button. [emoji4]

• Like 1

That burst of energy at the end... wish they keep that on the studio version.

True... I remember listening to Up&Up live debut and loving "that burst of energy at the end" (the "believe in love" part). Then the studio version came to be VERY disappointing.

• Like 1

The last time they put Eno on the credits was during the MX era. "Enoxification" is the term to be more specific. So maybe it's a leftover from that era and they just revisited it again. It's also possible that the band sampled one of his songs... :mylo: :viva:

• Like 3

I thought I was the only one who could hear Radiohead A Moon Shaped Pool-influences on All I Can Think About Is You. The initial riff and bassline, as well as Chris Martin's vocal style, it's strikingly similar. More than that though the ending sounds like Atlas going full-blown and the piano part in between reminiscent of Clocks (loving the little piano add-ons throughout the song btw, accompanies the vocals brilliantly).

Not only this song though, even Hypnotised reminded me of the song Daydreaming off AMSP. But boy I'm not complaining, Radiohead are my second favourite band.

I really can't wait for Kaliedoscope, even the possibly-A L I E N S snippet sounds Oldplay-ish and if they really did work with Eno there's no going wrong there. And Miracles wasn't a bad song to begin with, so I don't see how they could go wrong with that either. I second the proposition that SJLT should be a Coldplay version void of the Chainsmokers. And I feel it just might be, because there were no features specified when the tracklist was released.

And those bastards intentionally debuted AICTAIU on the last day of the Asian tour, an attempt to tease the fanbase and damn did it work!!!!

• Like 7

Rambling thoughts I was having yesterday.

So before AHFOD dropped, I remember looking at the track-listing and imagining a Viva like album with swirling guitars and worldly beats. I imagined bizarre, dreamy soundscapes. We got some of that--don't get me wrong. The intro to the album, Birds, AOAL, Up&Up, Amazing Day--they all have dreamy vibes to them. But still the album wasn't alternative at all.

With Kaleidoscope EP dropping soon, I was resistant to believe we'd get anything alternative. I didn't want to put my hopes up high. But that title! I couldn't resist thinking that B-sides and Kaleidoscope could mean we'd get something like I had envisioned on AHFOD.

Think of a Kaleidoscope: It reflects, it blends, it distorts, it swirls. It is mesmerizing, adding a new strange perspective on things. To me this can be used metaphorically to illustrate the world in a number of ways. Right now we see tense with war, terror attacks, absurd political figures, and environmental catastrophe. Things feel off, as if the world is turning onto itself--fuzzy and uncertain. Yet the world is also a beautiful place, we cling to eachother for love and experience nature (birds, water, rain, waves) and reflect ourselves within them to find peace.

When I watch the hypnotized music video, that is what i feel. There is peace in the world if you search for it. But with AICTAIY, we have "the world turned upside down" lyric again, and a violent guitar solo and a rather dark, abrupt ending. The song feels rather downtrodden to me as an opener, and Hypnotised as a closer will be more hopeful.

I guess what i am trying to say is that I kind of feel some themes coming through with 2 tracks of this EP, and that makes me really hopeful for some of the soundscapes and lyrics we get on Miracles 2 and ALIENS. I am not a huge fan of Chris' lyrics over the past few eras, and even on the three EP tracks we've heard already--its all pretty cliche, but I can still hope.

As for SJLT, maybe that one is supposed to be seeing a frat-party at 2 A.M. when everyone is passing out through a Kaleidoscope?

• Like 7

So if they recorded the Tokyo show to release later, do you all think they will ship it with like a deluxe version of the Kaleidoscope EP or stand alone as a Live in 2017 kinda thing?

Also I really do hope they add more songs to the EP just like they did with Prospekt's March.

• Like 1

This EP brings hope in one way or another. I mean, we saw the band flirt with pop (AHFoD being the most blatant) three albums in a row now and I think it’s about time they revisit their old style and fuse it with their new techniques/sound. Don’t get me wrong though. This is not an “Oldplay-Newplay” rant. Those three albums have their own strength. Mylo Xyloto is one of the underrated albums (X&Y being the other) on the band’s catalogue. The color, energy, synths, “electronic-meets-Coldplay rock/pop”. I enjoyed that era. Ghost Stories is like Parachutes sleeved with new tricks. Again, they used a handful of ambient atmosphere and electronic flourishes here. It was a breather album… one that is both inevitable (uncoupling) and necessary (considering the massiveness of previous tour). A Head Full of Dreams is more of a mixed bag of styles. We have the funky AOAL, U2-ish title track, ballads (Everglow and Amazing Day)... But it did produce Birds which I really dig from day one. While that approach certainly brought their music to a more mainstream environment, I sort of missed their rockier, melancholic side. Imagine an album with ARoBTTH sound mixed with their newer tricks. That’s going to be amazing… and so far, the songs that are included on this EP (except SJLT) are a mixture of eras.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 4

uhhh hmmm...

so i was just looking at the announcement on the official website which still says June 2 in the subtitle but:

"Good morning. The band have just revealed the June 30 release of their five-track Kaleidoscope EP, together with a brand new song from the EP, Hypnotised."

now in the first paragraph it says June 30 release??? is this a typo that has always been there and i'm only just now noticing it??

june30wtf.PNG.9ee2d3f5f1469ca744954c521286c5c7.PNG

• Like 3