✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kaleidoscope EP

guy42

I must say I miss Coldplay being more creative with their music... As much as some dislike Eno's influence in the band, I feel like he pushed them more than anyone has, and therefore they ended with some of the most interesting results. Creative and complex songs that were still catchy, but lately it just seems like their new songs are predictable and not pushing forward anymore. I wish they didn't shy away from sharing songs that they think are too out there and therefore leave out of albums/EPs.. What I admired most from them was how on Viva they had singles and great album tracks, but now it's like every song is treated like a single. Least that's how I feel about them these days.

??

I've only heard praise for it. I am all for the Eno influence for sure, and I have seen no one dislike it...

Agreed with your post for sure though. Too bad they worked with Stargate instead on AHFOD. Now that they're gone and Chainsmokers have only been on one song, for the rest on the EP we're seeing what AHFOD should have been.

What if the guys do another swerve and ALIENS turns out to be some acoustic song with a weird title.

Just like U.F.O?

I wasn't around for the Mylo era, but when I seen that title I expected a heavy alternativr sort of track with electronic influences.

True... I remember listening to Up&Up live debut and loving "that burst of energy at the end" (the "believe in love" part). Then the studio version came to be VERY disappointing.

So agreed man, all the way. I always listen to the live debut of that song now, goosebumps all over... For me, the studio version of Up&Up is the most obvious instance that shows how Stargate's overproduction on AHFOD watered down a song (and the album), to put it lightly....

I've a feeling that it's gonna be great. They have another 28 days to work on it so at least they aren't rushing it

Very true. I was at first disappointed when I heard the date was pushed back from what we had seen on the website when they edited the announcement, but if it is to improve the EP then I'm all for it. If it's just for a collab that as a clip I've seen possibly shows that'll be awful, than I'll be incredibly frustrated....

^ Same. The guys are so good live that hearing a studio version after getting used to all the hype and energy of a live version just makes the studio version seem boring by comparison :p

Now that I say that, problems like that probably aren't that common among bands today lol. It's hard to put on a good live show!

*cough*Up&Up*cough*

Hmmmm

[MEDIA=twitter]857452634453790720[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/coldplaying/status/857452634453790720

Collab?

Please, please, please, please, please no.

Work with Rihanna, Beyonce, Tove Lo, Avicii, The Chainsmokers, Stargate, whatever. I don't care. IMO, those are all incredible, fantastic, melodic, beautiful artists when compared to this one.

Sure, the artists listed above may not be the most unique, but at least they make catchy music (or produce), have great melodies in some songs, can get you dancing, and are fun to listen to. No matter how generic, bland, cringy, or similar the songs may sound, in my opinion, they will all be light years more original, unique, and listenable than modern hip hop artists like Big Sean are. Don't believe me? Look up "Bounce Back" and go from there if you wish to cause any more pain to your ears.

I'm pretty sure no one will want anything to do with this guy with a collab with Chris Martin after hearing the first 10 seconds... ugh. All hip hop is today is a plastic sounding trap beat that anyone can come up with (I have no clue how this style of drums got popular in the first place), anyone can mumble over it as well as everyone does today. and there's little to no melody, and if there is it's quickly replaced with these obnoxious sounding electronic drums that sound absolutely awful and take away the vibe the song at first had going for it. Lyrics are by far the worst out of any genre as well. If Chris Martin actually collabs with this guy I will be blown away, considering the uniqueness and creativity Coldplay have showcased to us with these soundchecks or live performances. Every single pop artist, especially that I listed, at least in my opinion, is far, far better than I can ever see hip hop becoming ever again. At least most have catchy melodies, and the worst ones, not including songs that are heavily influenced by hip hop or trap like Hotline Bling, are listenable without wanting to turn it off after 10 seconds, to put it very lightly.

If this does turn out to be a collab, please let this only be a one time thing, and please let it not be Miracles 2. And please, please, please let Coldplay not decide to go this direction for their next LP... not like I could ever see it, especially seeing as they've been becoming more artistic over the last little while and showcasing it to us through soundchecks and live performances of new music, but even use of trap drums in a generic and unoriginal way would really tick me off as IMO they are by far the worst sounding.

Now for the people that like hip hop on this forum, please don't take this as an insult to all hip hop. In fact. I like some songs from mainly the 2000's and before that actually had some melody and atmosphere to them, and a real vibe. Like "Changes" (by far my favorite), "What It's Like", "Where'd You Go", "Dead and Gone", and even "Take Care" from 2012, which is in my opinion the only really good song Drake has done, a collab with Rihanna. Of course the next songs in their series of collabs turned out to be awful, and I don't even mind a lot of Drake songs I heard on the radio pre Hotline Bling. When he started doing that trap thing that seems to be all what hip hop is nowadays I was done.

But all these songs, or at least the first four, also have a story behind them and a meaning to take from that, which IMO is a vital part of a good hip hop song. They have lyrics that mean something other than being at the club and having strippers dance for you which is pretty much all that hip hop is today. Even back then a lot of this type of music was like that, but at least there were some good songs with it.

It's too sad that hip hop went the direction it did. It seems like every mainstream genre has taken a turn for the worse in the past few years, even rock, whether heavy metal, normal, indie, or alternative, isn't what it once was. But hip hop has turned into a totally unlistenable genre, to put it incredibly lightly, over the past few years. One of my friends that was a hardcore listener of hip hop even says that there's almost nothing new that's any good from anybody.

TL;DR: Please don't let this collab happen. Hip hop has become an absolutely terrible genre, and it makes pop artists that Coldplay have worked with like Beyonce, Rihanna, Tove Lo, Avicii, and The Chainsmokers look like musical legends in my opinion.

End of rant.

Coming to Big Sean's defense here. Not the best hip-hop artist by any means when you have the like's of Kendrick, Vince Staples, Joey BadA$$, Run the the Jewels.

Occasionally his flow is a direct copy of Drake--but him and his producer are very talented. It isn't fair to say that he is the worst of that above group. They have come out with fantastic songs. I generally enjoyed his latest album--tracks like Bounce Back, Moves are great. dreary, nocturnal, crisp production and catchy! His producer Aimaree Johnson is a super talented piano player and instrumentalist--doing most his stuff which is pretty cool for a rap artist.

I would personally listen to Big Sean over Chainsmokers or Tove Lo... You can't tell me the chorus of Bounce Back doesn't get stuck in your head.....

I doubt this would be for the EP at this point, but if there was a rap verse on Miracles II, I am willing to hear something like that, if they can pull it off.

If it's a Chris Martin feature on Big Sean's next album or single (most likely) I am excited to hear that! Here is one of my fave songs by Big Sean:

• Like 2

Coming to Big Sean's defense here. Not the best hip-hop artist by any means when you have the like's of Kendrick, Vince Staples, Joey BadA$$, Run the the Jewels.

Occasionally his flow is a direct copy of Drake--but him and his producer are very talented. It isn't fair to say that he is the worst of that above group. They have come out with fantastic songs. I generally enjoyed his latest album--tracks like Bounce Back, Moves are great. dreary, nocturnal, crisp production and catchy! His producer Aimaree Johnson is a super talented piano player and instrumentalist--doing most his stuff which is pretty cool for a rap artist.

I would personally listen to Big Sean over Chainsmokers or Tove Lo... You can't tell me the chorus of Bounce Back doesn't get stuck in your head.....

I doubt this would be for the EP at this point, but if there was a rap verse on Miracles II, I am willing to hear something like that, if they can pull it off.

If it's a Chris Martin feature on Big Sean's next album or single (most likely) I am excited to hear that! Here is one of my fave songs by Big Sean:

Lenny, I just want to say that I always appreciate you trying to get us to let go of our bias of more popular music. We may not have the same taste in songs (beyond Coldplay lol) but I can tell you're passionate and knowledgeable about music and that is just awesome :blush:

Thanks for reminding me that a collaboration with a popular artist doesn't mean the end of the world :heart:

• Like 3

^I appreciate that! I am definitely no expert, but try to see the positives in things! I ultimately agree with the group, I rather wouldn't have a Big Sean feature on the EP, but if it's for something else I am open to seeing what turns out.

And its totally okay to have your bias! Big Sean's lyrics are objectively not good. And his flows or beats aren't very original either. If you don't like him, or the genre of hip-hop, its totally reasonable to not want any collabs with Coldplay. I just thought I'd play devil's advocate by mentioning some of his stuff that I like from him :)

And of course its never the end of the world. But if Miracles 2 ends up being an X Marks The Spot featuring Big Sean I might feel like its the end of the world for a day or two hahahaha

• Like 1

I've only heard praise for it. I am all for the Eno influence for sure, and I have seen no one dislike it...

One other criticism of Eno would be that he broke up the band's preformed music production structures and made them pursue other musical influences and sounds.

So in a way it was good because it unleashed new creativity and gave us this musically very diverse album VLVODAAHF, but on the other hand one could also view it as being one of the things that ultimately made the band forever abandon the sound and style of songwriting of their first years, a path that led them all the way to AHFOD.

But in general there is no doubt that a return of Brian Eno would definitely be a huge improvement from the sound of AHFOD !

I still have high hopes for this EP.

• Like 4

But it's not like the lads haven't done something with a big hip hop artist before. : unamused: *ahem* Jay Z ring any bells?

It took a while, but I eventually liked Lost+ so if this collaboration with Big Sean does materialize, then lets give this a chance.

Though to this day I still do not like XMTS so let us hope that they got towards the Lost+ direction instead of XMTS

Also, I have J-boy on repeat! That Friday with all that new music from OneRepublic, Imagine Dragons, Fall Out Boy, Phoenix, and Foster the People was nuts!

I really like Big Sean's new album, and I am SO KEEN to hear this collaboration which I just assumed was with Chris alone. I didn't think this would be on the Coldplay EP though. It didn't make the cut on Big Sean's release but I don't know why I didn't put 2 + 2 together and speculate that this was the collab that Chris and Johnny were talking about. However... I guess the timeline makes this seem like it is a Big Sean ft. Chris Martin release over Coldplay waiting on Big Sean for the collab.

But it's not like the lads haven't done something with a big hip hop artist before. : unamused: *ahem* Jay Z ring any bells?

It took a while, but I eventually liked Lost+ so if this collaboration with Big Sean does materialize, then lets give this a chance.

Though to this day I still do not like XMTS so let us hope that they got towards the Lost+ direction instead of XMTS

Also, I have J-boy on repeat! That Friday with all that new music from OneRepublic, Imagine Dragons, Fall Out Boy, Phoenix, and Foster the People was nuts!

The difference is Lost+ was Jay-Z on top of an already very good track.

• Like 1

Chris has been saying "this is the last album" since X&Y lol. Eventually there has to be a last one of course, but I'll believe it when the guys are all old and gray and it's been 10 years since their last release :P And even if AHFoD winds up being the last official album, I could see them continuing to release little EPs and singles every few years or so.

Now a hiatus I could see. They've been in a nonstop loop of record-tour-record-tour for twenty years, so it's definitely deserved!

^ That was the list of possible tracks that could appear on MX. I believe a lot of them came from the 60 Minutes interview the guys did right after the Viva era, and some of them came from words that were painted on Chris's piano, Jonny's guitar, etc. Some of them were obviously never released but we did wind up getting DLIBYH, Aiko, UWtB, Spanish Rain/Don Quixote, Spray Can Soul (became HLH), Goodbye and Goodnight (pre-Viva demo leak) and Until the Water Flows Over (live and instrumental versions only). Under One Roof wound up being the name of some charity thing the guys supported.

I imagine most of these went the same way all the old ARoBttH and X&Y unused tracks (Deserter, Zero Theory, etc.) went. Unless we get some sort of Unreleased Compilation someday, most of these will probably never see the light of day :(

• Like 1