✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kaleidoscope EP

guy42

I have to say that I really like All I Can Think About Is You for so far I've heard it. But I'm kinda forcing myself to not listen to it completely. Because I don't want to know the song before it's even released! So I only listened to snippets of 7 seconds of the song or so... (Yes, I heard the guitar riffs/solos:awesome:) Reminds me of the VIVA era which is a huge compliment because it's my favorite era =D Really can't wait for the EP to be released!!!!

The other brief snippet of a track we got also had some amazing guitar--sounds like it could be ALIENS.

Love Jonny's little guitar ditties; not as big a fan of the drum beat. I only listened to the first ~1 as I don't want to spoil myself too much, but it sounds a little like a watered-down The Scientist crossed with Another's Arms. Hopefully, as others have said, it isn't too repetitive. Would love some good lyrics also, but that may be pushing it a little :p

EDIT: Though that other track (Aliens?) we've heard is killer. Very dark and reminiscent of the pre-Parachutes era

Think that song has potential to become the Moving to Mars or Ghost Story of this era

And which other track are we talking about? I only see 1 video of a soundcheck, which is likely All I Can Think About Is You.....

^ There was a video of another soundcheck from a month or so ago that was posted a few pages back. I can't seem to find it now, but the snippet was only about 40 seconds long. Sounded like a mixture of the Strawberry Swing / Cemeteries of London beat and something from the Brothers & Sisters EP

EDIT: Check page 43 of this thread :)

• Like 2

^ There was a video of another soundcheck from a month or so ago that was posted a few pages back. I can't seem to find it now, but the snippet was only about 40 seconds long. Sounded like a mixture of the Strawberry Swing / Cemeteries of London beat and something from the Brothers & Sisters EP

EDIT: Check page 43 of this thread :)

I checked and it is actually 2:20 in length. Finally got around to downloading these videos in mp3 so I can listen to it whenever.

It seems so bizzare that this would be one of their recent songs though... after an album like AHFOD, we get this Viva era style song.. I wonder what the final version would sound like.

I like how the song slowly evolves over a semi repetitve drumbeat. It draws me in, kind of hypnotises me in that way. It's kind of a happy song but the guitar in bits also seems sad. Certainly more unique than just about anything off AHFOD... I wonder, if all Coldplay needed was someone other than Stargate or some other big pop producer, and this album would have been a lot better. Saying this as a fan of AHFOD btw. It's not that I don't like the album because I do, but I feel it gets unoriginal in parts and especially some songs feel like they could have been made by any modern pop rock band, which wasn't the case even just a few years ago. I feel like some tracklisting choices were off (especially Everglow to AOAL to Fun) and the middle part just feels like it drags on. Some of the songs themselves are great though. But I do feel if Coldplay worked with a better producer, maybe we would have had something better... I mean, yes, in the end Coldplay allowed these songs to go through in the first place, and we do know especially Chris Martin has poppier tastes than some of us would like, but now we're hearing these new songs and soundcheck audios that sound refreshing.... It's like what AHFOD was meant to be, with these really diverse influences we were all getting hyped up about pre AHFOD. And I think mine, and other's hopes are starting to get up for KEP. Let's hope the band doesn't disappoint, which so far for the most part they haven't, even with SJLT I was extremely surprised with the amount of praise that one got... let's keep in mind though that this is a Chainsmokers song with Coldplay, not the other way around as well, so just Coldplay will be expected to be better for most of us.

Thinking this could signal a new direction for the band... I mean Prospekt's March didn't come out that long after Viva and even that showed a hint of a new sound. KEP is coming out a year and a half after AHFOD and as we've heard so far there is quite an evolution in their sound since AHFOD, and for the better. And yes, for the past two eras excluding AHFOD I know that the B sides and extra songs have recieved more praise for being more unique than the album songs, and this era seems to be no different so far. But I don't think it's a coincidence that now that Stargate is gone, their sound is improving. And when it's just Coldplay they've sounded great so far. Even though Chris still wants to work with pop acts I'm glad that when they're on their own they seem to sound really good recently, in the one song we've heard officially released and the soundchecks alike. I think this is gonna be good.

^ Ah, my mistake. It's been awhile since I listened to it :P

Agreed about AHFoD. The only version I listen to anymore is MC01Coldplay's edit. They really cleaned up some of the more "draggy" songs that were in the middle and just improved a lot of things about the album in general. If only we could have gotten those Indian / 80s influences like so many of us wanted :( But that's a discussion that's been talked into the ground, so . . .

Now that I'm thinking about it, Coldplay has never put out a "bad" true EP, in my opinion (and by that I mean an EP with actual b-sides, not remixes or live versions). Hopefully KEP keeps with the tradition!

• Like 3

^ Ah, my mistake. It's been awhile since I listened to it :p

Agreed about AHFoD. The only version I listen to anymore is MC01Coldplay's edit. They really cleaned up some of the more "draggy" songs that were in the middle and just improved a lot of things about the album in general. If only we could have gotten those Indian / 80s influences like so many of us wanted :( But that's a discussion that's been talked into the ground, so . . .

Now that I'm thinking about it, Coldplay has never put out a "bad" true EP, in my opinion (and by that I mean an EP with actual b-sides, not remixes or live versions). Hopefully KEP keeps with the tradition!

I agree, @MC01Coldplay did a great job of improving the album. I especially like what he did with Everglow with the rain. It feels so raw and emotional now, even more than before.

• Like 1

I must say I miss Coldplay being more creative with their music... As much as some dislike Eno's influence in the band, I feel like he pushed them more than anyone has, and therefore they ended with some of the most interesting results. Creative and complex songs that were still catchy, but lately it just seems like their new songs are predictable and not pushing forward anymore. I wish they didn't shy away from sharing songs that they think are too out there and therefore leave out of albums/EPs.. What I admired most from them was how on Viva they had singles and great album tracks, but now it's like every song is treated like a single. Least that's how I feel about them these days.

• Like 4

It's great!

I heard Chris told Tokyo not to upload it on YouTube :joy:

Chris messed up the first part of the song by forgetting his microphone, so he started over and asked people not to put on youtube him messing up.

• Like 2

I'm trying really hard not to watch that! I've avoided all the soundcheck videos but now there's a full length live set version... I'm very tempted. Dammit, why June!

Same! And precisely at the last date of the Asian-leg they play the full song! Damnit. Still trying to hold on til June 2nd.

• Like 1

It's great!

Chris messed up the first part of the song by forgetting his microphone, so he started over and asked people not to put on youtube him messing up.

He's really funny. And they recorded the Tokyo show for a live album. Something to look forward to. :sun:

• Like 2

I can't believe I'm saying this. Coldplay have pulled a 180° on us. This is the Coldplay I want to hear. Jonny absolutely KILLS it here. Chris adding piano ambience, Guy with The Numbers-style basslines, Will with Neil Peart style drumming! Holy shit. Bye fucking BYE to AHFOD. In comes the Kaleidoscope, thank god.

• Like 8

I think we can all blame Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie for AHFOD. They invited the band to make Miracles for Unbroken, where they met Stargate. If that hadn't happened, maybe we would've gotten the proper alt. rock/electronic album that we were supposed to get. I think that's what All I Can Think About Is You represents....what AHFOD was SUPPOSED to be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3