✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kaleidoscope EP

guy42

It's definitely going to be Ariana Grande or Taylor Swift. The likes of Adele or Lana Del Rey will never work with Coldplay.

I can't wait for their collaboration with Pitbull on LP8. I predicted it years ago!

• Like 8

New song ??

[MEDIA=twitter]847423882126442497[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/coldplaying/status/847423882126442497

[MEDIA=twitter]847436504175489025[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/ColdplayAtlas/status/847436504175489025

I want and I need more of this!!

This sounds like a masterpiece already. As @I ran away mentioned once the rest of the band joins in (if they do) this song will be even better and will have such a beautiful vibe to it. Definitely sounds like some Oldplay style material here and I'm sure more than one of us would be very happy to hear it.

If this song is in fact the album opener than just like Fun this will be the complete opposite of what I expected. That title sounds like the next big pop hit, maybe that won't be the case!

I'll take this. I'd actually prefer to have just Chris on the piano with Jonny coming in later in the song for a solo. It sounds very reminiscent of AROBTTH and definitely a lot more oldplay than Hypnotised. I love how pure and haunting it feels. Finally I have something to look forward to with Coldplay!!

• Like 2

I miss those old videos from between the Parachutes and ARoBttH eras (even though I wasn't around at the time to see them lol). The Nappies, Jonny Goes Jazz . . . I think Chris and Jonny even did that Shaun of the Dead thing around that time. They were silly but great! I think one of the videos even showed an early tracklisting for ARoBttH. And of course there were the Roadie 42 blogs during the Viva era . . .

I miss videos such as these.....

So funny haha =D

• Like 4

What sounds promising to me about this (maybe) track, is that the piano is not too repetitive.

Chris' mainstay forever has been catchy piano loops (Trouble, Clocks, Speed of Sound, LiJ, ASFOS, O, Up&Up, Hypnotised). That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does feel lazy after a while to come up with a 5-10 second loop and repeat it through the entire track.

My favorite Coldplay piano tracks are more diversified (42, Postcards, Violet Hill, Up With The Birds, Amsterdam, Everything's Not Lost). I feel like recently with ASFOS, SJLT, and Hypnotised they have really overdone the looping-piano trick because it is so easy for pop music nowadays. Not dissing the above tracks, I love them all, but just something new would be nice.

• Like 7

with a music studio on the tour bus. google for details.

OneRepublic recorded their latest album "Oh My My" entirely while on tour in hotel rooms, buses, and wherever else using their phones and whatever other equipment they had. Of course it was all mastered and mixed back at a studio, but you can record almost anywhere with the right equipment.

Sent from my VS986 using Coldplaying mobile app

• Like 6

It's definitely going to be Ariana Grande or Taylor Swift. The likes of Adele or Lana Del Rey will never work with Coldplay.

I can't wait for their collaboration with Pitbull on LP8. I predicted it years ago!

Any Coldplay song done with this artist will be absolutely fantastic. Too bad that probably won't happen, as you said...

What sounds promising to me about this (maybe) track, is that the piano is not too repetitive.

Chris' mainstay forever has been catchy piano loops (Trouble, Clocks, Speed of Sound, LiJ, ASFOS, O, Up&Up, Hypnotised). That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does feel lazy after a while to come up with a 5-10 second loop and repeat it through the entire track.

My favorite Coldplay piano tracks are more diversified (42, Postcards, Violet Hill, Up With The Birds, Amsterdam, Everything's Not Lost). I feel like recently with ASFOS, SJLT, and Hypnotised they have really overdone the looping-piano trick because it is so easy for pop music nowadays. Not dissing the above tracks, I love them all, but just something new would be nice.

This is part of the problem with pop music nowadays. Not necessarily that it's bad (although some pop songs are definitely not very good) but the same old tricks keep being used, and as a result "new" songs feel too similar to older ones, and don't end up feeling as fresh.

Random rant about the Chainsmokers and how their music relates to this whole discussion, skip if you feel like it.

(One of the most obvious examples today? The Chainsmokers. Since Closer a lot of their songs have been using either the 3 chord trick increasing then falling (beginning of Closer is an example, they also used this in a different key on SJLT), the Roses beat for the chorus (also present in SJLT), a certain song structure which is The Chainsmoker's twist on verse-chorus except the bridge repeats the catchphrase of the song (do do do's in SJLT) over and over again until the final chorus which is richer in sound and features more instruments like extra strings in Closer or the guitar in SJLT. This is present in Paris. I've also noticed for certain Chainsmokers songs another one of the trends being the fact that the title is said in the song but the catchphrase that everyone remembers really well is the true focus of the song ("we ain't ever getting older" in Closer, "let's show them we are better" in Paris). Last one I'll mention is their new song "The One". It's a great first attempt at a piano ballad for them, but it sounds wayyyyy too clean and the chords are nice, but it just feels generic... those chords have been used way too often in ballads I feel even though they're nice, and in this song it just feels kinda generic and definitely predictable. Production wise, IMO piano ballads need to have a warm organic feel to them, and as we all know The Chainsmokers produce mainly electronic music which tends to have a cleaner sound to it. When this squeaky clean "perfect" production style is applied to piano ballads, it ends up making them feel manufactured almost, which is the case for "The One". Anyway, random Chainsmokers rant over)

The piano loop trick is an example, although less annoying than some others. I really like the "piano loop" tracks and it's always an easy way to make a really good track but would like to see more diverse songs like the ones you mentioned as well.

• Like 3

It’s pretty usual for the guys to work on new tunes in soundcheck, but this time out the warm-up room has been expanded into a full-on travelling studio. This makes for a pleasantly surreal juxtaposition as you leave the immediate backstage, notably full of scaffolding, blaring walkie talkies and yelling roadies – and you move into the inner sanctum dressing room area where suddenly you’re very aware that there’s people tiptoeing around the squeaky floorboards and whispering to each other, lest they ruin a take.

X

what could they be recording? Haven't they recorded the ep already? :thinking:

I don't follow much of the news these days but the 1st thing that came into my mind when I heard that there maybe a collaboration on Miracles 2 that it might be with a dead artist (Prince/ George Michael?). I mean by taking a sample of one of their songs & incorporating it in a new song. I think this might be because I really liked the George Michael tribute where Chris & George seemed to be singing together.

Looks like the guys have been practicing All I Can Think About Is You during a soundcheck

Interesting, just got on and seen the twitter post! Exciting.

Seems kinda bland but kinda nice. Low quality of the soundcheck won't hold a candle to the final version, so we'll see. Defintely do like them playing around with unique chord changes and notes though. Overall I like it. Sounds like he says "horseshoe" in one part though lol

• Like 1

Wowzers! I am really liking these soundchecks. No doubt the above is a version of All I Can. I think it sounds great. Jonny's guitar is absolutely killer, that piano transition too is really brooding, the finale drums big and explosive. Not digging Chris' hollering about "all I can" (not very creative) but that guitar though!!

The other brief snippet of a track we got also had some amazing guitar--sounds like it could be ALIENS.

These previews really remind me of Radiohead's A Moon Shaped Pool with the pop Coldplay treatment. They have an Atlas sort of feel where they are grand, textured, and dramatic, but also quite simple in the message. I suspect that David Rossi will provide strings on these too. Seems like this will fit nicely with Hypnotised--and at least confirms that this isn't going to be some silly pop song!

My only real question at this point is how the hell does this transition into SJLT????? This is like a dark alternative rock piece, and then you're just gonna dive into a chainsmokers song?

• Like 2

Looks like the guys have been practicing All I Can Think About Is You during a soundcheck

Love Jonny's little guitar ditties; not as big a fan of the drum beat. I only listened to the first ~1 as I don't want to spoil myself too much, but it sounds a little like a watered-down The Scientist crossed with Another's Arms. Hopefully, as others have said, it isn't too repetitive. Would love some good lyrics also, but that may be pushing it a little :p

EDIT: Though that other track (Aliens?) we've heard is killer. Very dark and reminiscent of the pre-Parachutes era

• Like 4

there is promise in the songs (except the one charting. too bad..) this might be polished up nicely. but a bit too repetitive on a first listen. nice that only the chainsmokers song is more similar to ahfod. fingers crossed the 3 we haven't heard (that well) will end up being more or less broody, atmospherics.

• Like 1

Hopefully this was just a very rough practice version because it didn't sound very put together.

I'm pretty sure it was not intended to be particularly polished. Even Hypnotised (which they played right after) didn't sound all that polished. Was a pretty quick drizzly soundcheck. I thought it had loads of promise, hope the finished version keeps the overall atmosphere and tone.

• Like 1

EDIT: Though that other track (Aliens?) we've heard is killer. Very dark and reminiscent of the pre-Parachutes era

Think that song has potential to become the Moving to Mars or Ghost Story of this era

• Like 5

Think that song has potential to become the Moving to Mars or Ghost Story of this era

Yes, that guitar progression is awesome ! I downloaded that soundcheck audio onto my phone and have been listening to it quite often, especially when dusk sets in it fits the atmosphere well.

• Like 1

Wowzers! I am really liking these soundchecks. No doubt the above is a version of All I Can. I think it sounds great. Jonny's guitar is absolutely killer, that piano transition too is really brooding, the finale drums big and explosive. Not digging Chris' hollering about "all I can" (not very creative) but that guitar though!!

The other brief snippet of a track we got also had some amazing guitar--sounds like it could be ALIENS.

These previews really remind me of Radiohead's A Moon Shaped Pool with the pop Coldplay treatment. They have an Atlas sort of feel where they are grand, textured, and dramatic, but also quite simple in the message. I suspect that David Rossi will provide strings on these too. Seems like this will fit nicely with Hypnotised--and at least confirms that this isn't going to be some silly pop song!

My only real question at this point is how the hell does this transition into SJLT????? This is like a dark alternative rock piece, and then you're just gonna dive into a chainsmokers song?

Great thoughts. Too bad about the "all I can" being sung over and over again, it does feel bland and uninspired. Not very original.

A Moon Shaped Pool is freaking amazing by the way. I don't know how they do it.. it's absolutely perfect for listening to on a cloudy day, and it's not like it has super memorable melodies but I think the production is absolutely freaking fantastic on it, which really puts it up there for me. For me, if music gives me a vibe I really like, I'll like it, and I can respect that the legends Radiohead can pull that off in the most unique ways possible, as they've done with this album. I do agree that the new soundchecks reminds me of AMSP in a way.... definitely didn't think of it on my own but I can see the resemblence now that you've mentioned it. Also really reminds me of Viva in a way, especially that one soundcheck with the relaxing, almost hypnotising by being repetitive guitar line... I can't remember exactly since I haven't listened to it in a bit of time, but I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about.

It is relieving that this won't be some typical pop song. We got close enough to that with SJLT, as you've mentioned (even though I really do like the track). Also, I completely agree with you. I can't believe that Chainsmokers put this on their album and so has Coldplay. I have no idea how this song is supposed to transition into SJLT at all... A rather unique song with a completely different vibe transitions into this... Hmm... There wasn't really a need to put SJLT on KEP anyway. Not sure why they did. Interesting though, that there is the same song on two different works... I haven't seen anything like that before.

Love Jonny's little guitar ditties; not as big a fan of the drum beat. I only listened to the first ~1 as I don't want to spoil myself too much, but it sounds a little like a watered-down The Scientist crossed with Another's Arms. Hopefully, as others have said, it isn't too repetitive. Would love some good lyrics also, but that may be pushing it a little :p

Agree with your thoughts. Great guitar work by Jonny, and IMO the only thing I find wrong with the drumbeat is that they already did that before. Doesn't really fit with the song either.

I can't really describe what the song feels like to me.... I do know that it is slightly reminiscent of Atlas in parts.

I agree about the repetitveness. Some repetitive songs are actually really good and there definitey is a right way to do them but this is the kind of song that would get incredibly boring if done that way. Slower songs need to evolve and change....otherwise it gets boring.

About the lyrics, definitely could be better. Repeating "all I can" isn't very original.

I really do hope that other track is Aliens. Sounds amazing. Totally need more of it!

there is promise in the songs (except the one charting. too bad..) this might be polished up nicely. but a bit too repetitive on a first listen. nice that only the chainsmokers song is more similar to ahfod. fingers crossed the 3 we haven't heard (that well) will end up being more or less broody, atmospherics.

Hopefuily it doesn't get too repetitve in the final version on KEP. I personally thought it was fine but I guess saying "all I can" over and over doesn't help.

I think the absence of Stargate really opened up Coldplay again to less poppy ideas and more original ones. With Hypnotised we truly got a taste of what I felt Coldplay was really trying to achieve with AHFOD. It's a truly dreamy, unique track, that slowly builds up to an outstanding finish. (By that I mean the near end of the song, the way the song actually ends abruptly, I am not a fan of that.) Now we have this new song which would have also never made it under Stargate. Of course they did work on the Chainsmokers with SJLT, but really that's their song, it's sprinkles of Coldplay on what The Chainsmokers usually do. So I don't really know why it's on here when this EP seems to otherwise be a more original and unique take on AHFOD. I can't see this new song transitioning into SJLT very well... But we'll see. Aliens sounds amazing, if that is in fact the track. Still waiting for the other song...

I am entranced after listening to this! Reminds New me of Will and Guy's interview where they talk about the band liking a more acoustic sound. I predict a cross between Yanni and Radiohead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I just heard that an artist named "Dua Lipa" has revealed that she is working with Chris Martin on a new song. Looked her up and I'm not convinced this will be the best collaboration, especially for those of us who enjoy more unique and original content....

But I guess we'll just wait and see.

• Like 3