✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Everyday Life Leak Discussion [SPOILERS INSIDE]

stephen

Arabesque is from a jam session the band did when Brian Eno had Chris leave the studio for 2 weeks. This is what we know so far, but probably other song parts are coming from there as well. I actually submitted that question to the bandfor the fan Q&A, I hope it gets picked !

Bani Adam is from that era, it was performed live in December 2010!

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a strange feeling after 2 or 3 listenings ... I think this is by far their darkest album. Maybe i was used to hear more joyful sounds after 10 years but this one is really heavy. Great but heavy.

Yeah, wasn't expecting that at all. I assumed Ghost Stories was about as dark as Newplay were ever going to get. I was very wrong. This album might be even darker than AROBTTH, which is crazy considering they just came off the heels of AHFOD.

• Like 1

Alright, so I just finished listening to the album...

Wow.

Wow. This is the return to form I've been hoping for.

There isn't really a single weak moment... instead there are so many highlights, so many cool little moments and so much experimentation throughout. Who would have thought we'd get a gospel song (BrokEn), a really old fashioned track that sounds like something my great grandparents would have loved (Cry Cry Cry), something that sounds like a Catholic hymn or Gregorian chant (When I Need a Friend), something that sounds like Chris busking on a beach in Costa Rica (WOTW/POTP), something so downright angry and political (Trouble In Town, Arabesque, and Guns), a classical-sounding piano piece that doesn't end as quickly as Postcards From Far Away and then turns into this piece with vibes that remind me of A Spell A Rebel Yell (Bani Adam), a Stargate-produced song that isn't cheesy and horribly mixed (Church), a song that sounds like it could have been on Parachutes (Old Friends), voice memos throughout that don't detract from the flow of the album...

Well done. This is something truly special.

• Like 8

Haven't posted in awhile, it's great to be back!

I listened to the album last night, heard it 3 times already through today.

Dark, gritty, organic, progressive, atmospheric....it's like VLV and Ghost Stories with more social commentary, but not overly political which is great in my book.

Favorites: Church, Arabesque, Broken, Everyday Life

I'm sure that list will change soon, as I'm slowly getting used to the other songs too. Quite experimental and unusual, which I love. Hopefully the band will pick a few from this album to play live when the next "proper" one comes out next year, there are some great gems on this record. However, I can understand not touring this album as it's quite dark and I'm unsure how some songs would translate to a live show, at least in the usual "party" atmospheres that are usually live.

Brilliant stuff !

• Like 2

Wow.

There isn't really a single weak moment... instead there are so many highlights, so many cool little moments and so much experimentation throughout. Who would have thought we'd get a gospel song (BrokEn), a really old fashioned track that sounds like something my great grandparents would have loved (Cry Cry Cry), something that sounds like a Catholic hymn or Gregorian chant (When I Need a Friend), something that sounds like Chris busking on a beach in Costa Rica (WOTW/POTP), something so downright angry and political (Trouble In Town, Arabesque, and Guns), a classical-sounding piano piece that doesn't end as quickly as Postcards From Far Away and then turns into this piece with vibes that remind me of A Spell A Rebel Yell (Bani Adam), a Stargate-produced song that isn't cheesy and horribly mixed (Church), a song that sounds like it could have been on Parachutes (Old Friends), voice memos throughout that don't detract from the flow of the album...

Great review! How would you rank the albums after your first listen?

• Like 1

Great review! How would you rank the albums after your first listen?

Right now, I'd have to say...

1. X&Y
  2. Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends
  3. A Rush of Blood to the Head
  4. Everyday Life
  5. Parachutes
  6. Ghost Stories
  7. Mylo Xyloto
  8. A Head Full of Dreams

I certainly never expected to enjoy LP8 enough that I'd rank it higher than an "Oldplay" album. It's possible that with more listens, Everyday Life could creep into that top 3. Time will tell.

• Like 1

Arabesque is from a jam session the band did when Brian Eno had Chris leave the studio for 2 weeks. This is what we know so far, but probably other song parts are coming from there as well. I actually submitted that question to the bandfor the fan Q&A, I hope it gets picked !

I hear bits of the "Viva La Vida" era all over this new record. "Old Friends" reminds me of one the demo songs that got leaked back then ("Goodbye And Goodnight") and the second half of "Bani Adam" has a guitar arrangement reminiscent of "A Spell A Rebel Yell".

• Like 2

The languages count is now at 4, decent. (I'm a translator and languages freak in case that wasn't clear lol)

Actually, the language count is at 6 by the end of the album:

English

Arabic (Church)

unknown African (?) language (Trouble in Town)

French (Arabesque)

Spanish (When I Need A Friend)

Persian (Bani Adam)

unknown language (Bani Adam/Champion of the World) - can anyone figure out what that language is ?

• Like 2

[spoiler=I'm Richard. Hey!]

Actually, the language count is at 5 by the end of the album:

English

Arabic (Church)

French (Arabesque)

Spanish (When I Need A Friend)

Persian (Bani Adam)

unknown language (Bani Adam/Champion of the World) - can anyone figure out what that language is ?

oohhh I missed the Arabic! Excellent

Wow.

And please do not forget the baby that AROBTTH and X&Y made together...Champion of the World ! :D

• Love 1

Sunrise- 9.5

Church- 9.0

Trouble in Town- 9.5

BrokEn- 7.0

Daddy- 10

WOTW/POTP- NA (Can't understand the lyrics)

Arabesque- 10

When I Need a Friend- 8.5

Guns- 9.5

Orphans- 6.5

Eko- 10

Cry Cry Cry- 7.5

Old Friends- 9.0

Bani Adam- 8.5

Champion of the World- 9.0

Everyday Life 8.0

I definitely prefer the first half

Albums

VlVoDaAHF (98)

ARoBttH (96)

Parachutes (93)

Mylo Xyloto (91)

Everyday Life (88-90)

X&Y (83)

A Head Full of Dreams (73)

Ghost Stories (61)

• Like 2

Curve ball opinion: anyone think the band actually wanted this album to leak so early like this? The last couple of years has, I've been told ;) seen very little leaks of major albums outside a couple of days of the official release, so coupling this with the old-school promo methods we've seen for EL, what's to say that this is their way of adding to the hype?

• Like 1

What irritates me the most about the Church is its bubble gummy AHFOD production. And they placed it right after the serious and classical Sunrise instrumental.

Yeah same...and guess which Producer duo is responsible for this again

:rolleyes:

Somehow I feel like this was an AHFOD Era leftover. cause I'm Pretty sure they didn't call Stargate up again to work with them on precisely one song. It also doesn't fit lyrically with the rest of the album.

• Like 3

Curve ball opinion: anyone think the band actually wanted this album to leak so early like this? The last couple of years has, I've been told ;) seen very little leaks of major albums outside a couple of days of the official release, so coupling this with the old-school promo methods we've seen for EL, what's to say that this is their way of adding to the hype?

I'd be with you there if it weren't for that fact that Coldplay HQ has, from what I heard, specifically asked Coldplaying to enforce a policy of zero leak tolerance. That's what makes me doubt it was intentional.

• Like 1