✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Everyday Life Leak Discussion [SPOILERS INSIDE]

stephen

Yeah same...and guess which Producer duo is responsible for this again

:rolleyes:

Somehow I feel like this was an AHFOD Era leftover. cause I'm Pretty sure they didn't call Stargate up again to work with them on precisely one song. It also doesn't fit lyrically with the rest of the album.

Who is the producer of this album?

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What irritates me the most about the Church is its bubble gummy AHFOD production. And they placed it right after the serious and classical Sunrise instrumental.

I actually think it better than most of the songs on AHFOD. The last pat in particular pulls the song away from AHFOD-like production.

• Like 3

Haven't been writing on this forum for something like 6-7 years, everything on this platform changed, I'm still getting used to it haha

but holy moly, your reviews sound soooo promising and I'm really looking forward to this album. I kind of disliked almost all the material the band produced in the last years (I can understand they might be appreciated by a lot of people, though), but I've always followed the band as I still relate to them in some way.

I hope I will enjoy the album as you do!

• Like 1

Is there any reason why the band stopped working with Eno?

Because Chris mental health in 2011 was clearly badly influenced by his ending relationship with Gwyneth and stress led to "different points of view about the direction the band should have been taking"

• Like 2

After my initial short review, lets play the game of ranking the songs with some random comments.

[spoiler=Sunrise]

[spoiler=Sunrise]

Sunrise

Sunrise- 7/10. I can’t compare it to the other opening tracks, even LiT. Not the best track on the album but the strings are just relaxing and beautiful, I would love to hear it live to open a gig (will probably never happen).

Church - 6.5/10. A pretty good song but too much modern Coldplay flaws, don’t like Chris vocals in the first verse at all (I even struggle to understand them). Second part is better tho.

Trouble in Town - 9/10. What a great song. Just don’t know what to think about the snippets. The first one definitely adds core to the song but I could have done without the second one.

BrokEn - 5/10. Maybe the weakest song, too American, lack of band participation, and out of place in the album in between Trouble in Town and Daddy. Still deserves the average score, at least they tried something.

Daddy - 8.5/10. Simple, effective and so many early CP / Viva demos vibes in there. Cheesy lyrics but when the way they are delivered is ace, you almost forget it. For someone who was clearly sick of Chris’ voice in the last few years, this is just great to have such a track. Their best ballad for a long while imo.

WOTW/POTP - N/A.

Arabesque - 9.5/10. My thoughts are the same as when the song was released : the best Coldplay song in terms of inspiration, risk taking and final output since Viva. I’m trying not to listen to it too much since the album has leaked, but I think I can’t be tired of it, this is just too good.

When I Need A Friend - 6/10. Don’t know about this one, very short without the voice snippet, it’s haunting for sure but not much more.

[spoiler=Sunset]

[spoiler=Sunset]

Sunset

Guns - 6.5/10. The snippet was so promising that I got too excited. In the end it’s a good song, raw, cool lyrics, but I was expecting more. I don't mind songs like Eko or Old Friends being short acoustic ballads, but I expected more from a song that had so much potential. Also a bit out of place if we consider it as an opening track. Still good for what it is.

Orphans - 7.5/10. A bit out of place, but not because of the contrast with the rest of the album. It’s just randomly placed after Guns. I don’t mind a more upbeat song in a darker album, like I did not mind ASFOS in GS (though Orphans is way better imo). Short enough to avoid being repetitive, the bridge may be botched but it’s still catchy af.

Eko - 7/10

Cry Cry Cry - 7/10

Old Friends - 7/10

Love Chris’ voice on Eko. Cry Cry Cry keeps growing on me, such a cool song with a catchy chorus. Old Friends is the Parachutes of the album I would say (it’s always positive then). I hope that overtime these three songs won’t be fillers, but atm they all fit well in the album.

Bani Adam - 7.5/10

Champion of The World - 9/10

Bani Adam into COTW could have been the perfect closing track of the album imo. The two-parts instrumental is really cool (love the guitar) with a perfect transition to one of the best tracks of the album.

Everyday Life - 7/10. It gets better with every listen, but still suffers from the live version (though it’s not a valid argument to rank it, a lot of songs are better live). Fits better as a closer than I thought when it was released (the lyrics justify it anyway), but I really think COTW would have been a better closing track.

Looks like EL has an average score of 73/100, which (1) isn't bad at all, I may be severe on some songs, others will grow on me, (2) does not give real clue about the actual quality of the album when you take it as a whole, it was mainly for the sake of the song by song review. At least it definitely shows that my personal favorites are Trouble in Town, Daddy, Arabesque and Champion of the World!

I think this album will be very good as a whole overtime, songs like Cry Cry Cry have real potential too. The main critiques are that it may be too much Chris-focused at times, but also the order of the album. BrokEN does not fit between Trouble in Town and Daddy, Guns as an opening track of Sunset is a bit random imo. I think Everyday Life as a Sunset opening track and COTW as the closer could have been really cool.

But Everyday Life is definitely the best modern Coldplay album (by a mile) in my opinion, so I'm happy to witness it!

I need to listen to the album more, but wow it is amazing. Unlike anything they've done. Didn't know I needed a Coldplay Gospel song, but it's fantastic. My stand outs right now are Church, Trouble in Town, BrokEn, Daddy, Cry Cry Cry, and Champion of the World.

• Like 2

Is Everyday life a good closer? Makes more sense as a closer now that people have listened to the whole album?

Since everyone wasn't convinced it should have been a closer, curious to know if people's minds has changed.

I've been thinking a lot about this. I think I understand why the band chose this song to be the closer and it's because they needed a song that could represent the sentiment one feels staring at sunset, a feeling of nostalgia but at the same time fulfillment. Also they needed the track to end abruptly just like the sun dissapears under the horizon during sunset.

Something similar to this can explain the outro to "Sunrise" as representing the birth of the sun at dawn.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Unpopular opinions:

I think the reason why Coldplay chose to place BrokEn between 2 cohesive tracks is because it LITERALLY BREAKS THE FLOW and makes it BROKEN! Makes perfect sense to me

ive listened to the album only once and will only listen again when it’s released officially, but I’ve already forgotten what champion of the world sounds like and even church.

Eko is the most parachutes sounding track more than old friends, although old friends is very eligible too

• Like 4

After having listened to the album twice the rating I do is mostly negative.

In the first place we were sold as a double album something that is not, it is a single CD with 16 tracks, most of them of short duration 8 which is not necessarily bad), but that certainly moves away from the concept of album double. They have clearly done as in XY.

About the songs, I agree with the opinion shown before "the best" of the album we had already known. The rest of the songs I think are too "simple." There is one that is fine like Daddy's or Adam's. But clearly they are not songs that mark as much as many others from past albums that despite not being singles were sometimes even better than these (as swallowed in the sea in XY).

The best song without a doubt and by far Arabesque. It is a pity that the rest of the album did not follow that retro and oriental roll, it would have been something very cool.

The feeling I have is that this album is a kind of "tailor's drawer" (as we say in Spain), where they've gotten from songs discarded in the past (like arabesque itself or Adam's piano part), small ideas or styles that they wanted to try (acoustic songs, songs of only chris and choirs ...) and of course a commercial single to sell as is orphans.

A record clearly aimed at fans but I think that both because of the way they had to sell it at the beginning and because of its high price it tastes like something bittersweet.

No doubt listening to it, one understands why they are not going to tour with him and probably because next year they will release another album as announced.

I just hope they put arabesque on the setlist of the next tour!

• Like 2

By the general album reviews here I think Everyday Life could be (nearly) like a 'lost and found' album straight after Viva La Vida.

I remember Chris in the recent interview on BBC Radio 1 saying he had the album title in his mind since ten years.

That's just a year after Viva came out. But might be coincidence though.

• Like 3

Wow, not sure what else I can add that hasn't already been said but that was a fantastic first listen!

Champion of the world a big standout for me. The last four songs as a whole feel very much like the oldplay fusion with newer Coldplay that I was hoping for from the album. Loved it.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Unpopular opinions:

I think the reason why Coldplay chose to place BrokEn between 2 cohesive tracks is because it LITERALLY BREAKS THE FLOW and makes it BROKEN! Makes perfect sense to me

I did wonder about that because of the (heartbeat) at the end of TiT and Daddy.

• Like 2