✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Everyday Life Leak Discussion [SPOILERS INSIDE]

stephen

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I was at work while the leak happened, but some lovely Coldplayers sent me a PM.

On first listen, I hate to say it and be a downer, but I do not love this album. I can appreciate what they're trying to do, but maybe its my fear of politics thats keeping me from loving this album; the last time I mixed politics and Coldplay, I was no longer part of the forum team.

Thats not to say its a bad album, not at all, but its just not for me. I'm sure a good country album exists, but if its not your genre, its not your genre! I felt the first 3 tracks we got (Orphans, Arabesque and Everyday Life) were the best on the album, but I guess I was disappointed that the rest of the album didn't really project as high as i thought.

What I was trying to get across in the previous eras, and what i'll be doing this era, is letting everyone else enjoy the music. Its okay not to love absolutely everything the band does, but it is not okay to put someone else down for liking it. Im hoping to provide an example as to how one should react in a fandom when they dont like the band's output. Be respectful of everyone in their opinions without resorting to namecalling and labeling. Not naming names or groups, but I general observations I saw from both sides. At the very least, I think this album can convey the same message im trying to say!

That being said, I am so happy that most of the fandom, especially the ones that felt alienated from LP5-7, do generally like this album. There are definitely moments in the album that I very much enjoyed, production was great, but I guess I was looking for something else, more dare-I-say, radio-friendly hits? For some context, I place AROBTTH as my top album,

I'm going to try and listen to it a few more times for sure, but at first listen, I dont recall anything jumping out at me, or begging me to re-listen to again. Thanks for your time everyone, and do enjoy the new album, and do make sure you go and buy it!

• Like 5

Looks like I was at work while the leak happened, but some lovely Coldplayers sent me a PM.

On first listen, I hate to say it and be a downer, but I do not love this album. I can appreciate what they're trying to do, but maybe its my fear of politics thats keeping me from loving this album; the last time I mixed politics and Coldplay, I was no longer part of the forum team.

Thats not to say its a bad album, not at all, but its just not for me. I'm sure a good country album exists, but if its not your genre, its not your genre! I felt the first 3 tracks we got (Orphans, Arabesque and Everyday Life) were the best on the album, but I guess I was disappointed that the rest of the album didn't really project as high as i thought.

What I was trying to get across in the previous eras, and what i'll be doing this era, is letting everyone else enjoy the music. Its okay not to love absolutely everything the band does, but it is not okay to put someone else down for liking it. Im hoping to provide an example as to how one should react in a fandom when they dont like the band's output. Be respectful of everyone in their opinions without resorting to namecalling and labeling. Not naming names or groups, but I general observations I saw from both sides. At the very least, I think this album can convey the same message im trying to say!

That being said, I am so happy that most of the fandom, especially the ones that felt alienated from LP5-7, do generally like this album. There are definitely moments in the album that I very much enjoyed, production was great, but I guess I was looking for something else, more dare-I-say, radio-friendly hits? For some context, I place AROBTTH as my top album,

I'm going to try and listen to it a few more times for sure, but at first listen, I dont recall anything jumping out at me, or begging me to re-listen to again. Thanks for your time everyone, and do enjoy the new album, and do make sure you go and buy it!

I’m very surprised you feel that way if I’m honest and I’m sorry you don’t like it.

I suppose you’ll never please everyone in the fandom. Looks like the shoe is on the other foot now and you’ll have to start wondering what you, as a newplayer, would like the band to do next.

• Like 1

I’m very surprised you feel that way if I’m honest and I’m sorry you don’t like it.

I suppose you’ll never please everyone in the fandom. Looks like the shoe is on the other foot now and you’ll have to start wondering what you, as a new player would like the band to do next.

But thats what im getting at. You're 100% right in that you'll never please everyone. But at the same time, I dont feel the need to scream and kick and whine about not loving the album. I'm not wondering what i'll do next as a Coldplay fan, because maybe i'll just sit this era out and catch you at the next one. And thats okay with me! I do still love the band, and commend them for putting out an album they feel proud about.

Out of all of the users, you're one of ones im glad found this era to be in your liking. I could imagine what its like 3-4 albums deep and feeling further and further from the band. So, im happy for you, go out and enjoy the era!

• Like 5

There are some pretty mediocre lyrics on some of these new songs but somehow I feel like they fit so perfectly in the context of the music.

In "Daddy" for example:

Look down we got the same hair

And Daddy it's my birthday

But all I want to say

I'm stunned on how they pulled this.

But thats what im getting at. You're 100% right in that you'll never please everyone. But at the same time, I dont feel the need to scream and kick and whine about not loving the album. I'm not wondering what i'll do next as a Coldplay fan, because maybe i'll just sit this era out and catch you at the next one. And thats okay with me! I do still love the band, and commend them for putting out an album they feel proud about.

Out of all of the users, you're one of ones im glad found this era to be in your liking. I could imagine what its like 3-4 albums deep and feeling further and further from the band. So, im happy for you, go out and enjoy the era!

I don’t think there was many people “scream, kick and whining” just people who weren’t happy with the direction the band was going.

If you have gripes with this album, we’d all be happy to hear them, that’s what this website is for at the end of the day.

If you want the next album to be AHFOD 2.0, people will disagree with you but no one will stop you from saying that.

If you really want to sit this era out then fair play, but who’s saying anyone has to do that?

• Like 1

For all the good songs that are on it, I have to say I don't see myself listening to it as a full album very often. For that it just feels too little cohesive to me and there are some tracks like BrokEn or Cry Cry Cry that I just dislike (I'm sorry to say).

The album is VERY experimental and diverse in style and while i commend Coldplay for that, not all songs have quite met the mark so to speak. But so far I only listened to it 1,5 times and maybe it'll grow on me.

Can't stop listening to Champion of the World though. This is what I've been wishing Coldplay to sound like in so long.

• Like 3

I don’t think there was many people “scream, kick and whining” just people who weren’t happy with the direction the band was going.

If you have gripes with this album, we’d all be happy to hear them, that’s what this website is for at the end of the day.

If you want the next album to be AHFOD 2.0, people will disagree with you but no one will stop you from saying that.

If you really want to sit this era out then fair play, but who’s saying anyone has to do that?

Perhaps it was a vocal minority that made the crowd seem bigger than it was.

I guess the visual I always have is looking around, seeing everyone having a good time at a party, and maybe feeling out of place, and the music is too loud. I don't ask the DJ to turn it down, I just maybe step out of the room for some fresh air? I guess we all have different ways to deal : )

ooh, no, im not asking for AHFOD 2.0 LOL.

y'know, im on my 2nd playthrough and im already liking it a bit more, so maybe this is a grower : )

• Like 7

I feel the same. Overall it has a great sound but some songs feel underdeveloped if that makes sense. No need to have big anthems or anything but I feel is missing something. I'll keep listening to it to see if I can catch what it is.

Agree with that. Some of the songs sound as if they were not made with a lot of effort, and that is a shame considering how perfectionist the band used to be. But hey, I'll take this over AHFOD anytime !

• Like 2

OK finally started my second listen and Trouble In Town strikes me as being a great album closer if the album was to end on a darker note. Arabesque too sonically, but Trouble In Town just has an ending feel to it and feels so dark throughout but especially towards the end.

There's nothing wrong with BrokEn but it feels so wrong sandwiched between Trouble In Town and Daddy, even if it's meant to be a break. Not sure where else I'd put it though

• Like 1

Got the leak this morning and listened once before heading into an intense all day work conference (perfect timing haha).

I honestly don't really know how to talk about this album and I don't want to screw with anyone's expectations. So seriously, warning on this thread that this album is likely best taken as an experience all in one sitting -- not in little leaked snippets.

[spoiler=Initial thoughts]

That said, this album is a beast. I can see critics/coldplayers raving for it. I can see critics/coldplayers thinking its complete garbage. I can see even more in the middle of that spectrum.

Why? On first listen, it's messy. No two songs sound remotely alike nor do two songs have similar lyrical content. Some of it's super dark and political and raw. Some is neatly produced, clean and light. Some songs are outright esoteric.

You could literally listen to this thing and think it's a rushed mess or a carefully constructed, artful experience. Regardless, it demands to be heard, carefully and deliberately.

Some songs made me smile (Cry Cry Cry, Orphans, Champion of the World) others made me truly sad (Daddy, Trouble In Town, When I needed a friend).

I don't think there's a weak song on this entire album, but I do think there'll be a lot of debate on that. Tracks like Church kind of underwhelmed me, but I know others already love it. I feel like I need a few more listens and then hopefully by Nov. 22 I can truly know how i feel.

• Like 4

There are some pretty mediocre lyrics on some of these new songs but somehow I feel like they fit so perfectly in the context of the music.

In "Daddy" for example:

Look down we got the same hair

And Daddy it's my birthday

But all I want to say

I'm stunned on how they pulled this.

Right? Like I felt what he was saying deep. First time since their early work. Compare this to GS which didn't have the same emotion, imo.

I'm usually a good boy about leaks but I couldn't resist this time. And wow.... this album really is something else. I never could have imagined a 2010s Coldplay album being this good, or a Coldplay album in general being this experimental. I know it's super early to say but just going off my first listen this album might slide in underneath Viva to be my 2nd favourite Coldplay album. I can't think of a song I dislike on the whole thing.

Sunrise is amazing, Davide Rossi at his finest, I could say it's a bit long but I don't mind that much. I wonder how they'll play it live in Jordan, prerecorded strings or a totally different band arrangement? I think Church is really great, similar to Orphans in that it basically sounds like if AHFOD was good. Trouble in Town is one of the best tracks the band's put out, period. The recording in the with the police officer was totally unexpected but it's a super great addition to the atmosphere. The second half of Bani Adam is almost exactly what I was hoping we'd get with this album. Champion of the World is, in my opinions, one of those songs that could have come out terribly if the production was bad, and I'm glad it's not. Proper Oldplay stuff there.

Wow, what an album. Trouble in Town is definitely the standout track for me but the whole album is amazing. I'm so glad Coldplay still have the ability in them to make, well, good music after AHFOD.

And to those who say leaks hurt sales - listening to this is what convinced me to preorder the gold vinyl!

• Like 8

"When I Need A Friend" without that voice recording at the end would have been an incredible album closer (even though its technically still a closer but only for "Sunrise" part of the album), up there with "Up With The Birds".

• Like 1