✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Everyday Life Leak Discussion [SPOILERS INSIDE]

stephen

I don't really get why Champion of the World is so hyped. I mean I like the song a lot, but for me it doesn't really stand out. It's a very good Coldplay song that captures their whole sound.

But Trouble in Town on the other hand is on a whole different level. I thought Arabesque was extremely good, but TiT is more than I could ever imagine a Coldplay song to be. So good. Maybe even their best song ever. I just can't express it. Lost for words. Thank you Coldplay.

• Like 8

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gave it a full listen just now. It is really good, they’ve certainly gone experimental here and there and for such a big band to deliver like this, respect! Never had this the first time listening to a song but with Daddy I shed a few tears, it’s so personal upfront and from a child’s viewpoint to his father. I love that one. The album has a Viva feel, but also the parachutes (livingroom) feel + a modern coldplay touch. So straight from the heart and personal. The ending of Trouble In Town is massive, nice AROBTTH feel to it.

I have to hear the album more but it is up there with the best ones for me. don’t care where it slots in specifically but they have certainly given us something to enjoy for a very long time.

• Like 4

One of my favorite little details on this album is the haunting heartbeat noise you hear at the end of Trouble In Town... and again in Daddy. It's kind of like the sonar-like tone throughout Oceans, but more subtle and honestly very meaningful if you think about it in the context of the lyrics of both songs.

• Like 1

Fair question: Why is that interlude spliced in 6 parts? Which child prodigy mastered that album and let such an idea slip in? I'm removing the redbook seperators to join it as one. Unless it was not intended to be spliced that way.

I think it's meant for the promo CD only, maybe an indicator of some sort for the radio operator or listener that the second half is about to start. I bet this interlude wont be part of the final release since both albums will already be separated in two physical CDs.

I remember seeing radio promos that have this kind of splitted tracks, like the intro being separated from the rest of the song just as an indicator for the radio operator/host to stop talking before the actual interesting part of the song starts.

• Like 2

I think it's meant for the promo CD only, maybe an indicator of some sort for the radio operator or listener that the second half is about to start. I bet this interlude wont be part of the final release since both albums will already be separated in two physical CDs.

I remember seeing radio promos that have this kind of splitted tracks, like the intro being separated from the rest of the song just as an indicator for the radio operator/host to stop talking before the actual interesting part of the song starts.

Weird because I have the retail disc on my hands and it's not seperated on 2 discs (Might be a regional thing?). Also I own hundreds of radio promos of albums and singles and not one of them has that kind of tracklisting. BTW my CD driver complains that the interlude has a pre-emphasis sector when it's not even there. Someone at Coldplay's camp is abusing again the redbook standar a'la Ghost Stories way.

EDIT: I have a feeling those discs are misprints/withdrawn and the retail ones will be quite different.

• Like 1

I don't really get why Champion of the World is so hyped. I mean I like the song a lot, but for me it doesn't really stand out. It's a very good Coldplay song that captures their whole sound.

But Trouble in Town on the other hand is on a whole different level. I thought Arabesque was extremely good, but TiT is more than I could ever imagine a Coldplay song to be. So good. Maybe even their best song ever. I just can't express it. Lost for words. Thank you Coldplay.

I agree that Trouble in Town stands out more and is bold and partly experimental and unexpected for Coldplay whereas Champion of the World is typical Coldplay...but typical GREAT Coldplay. Honestly, I think I love them both equally at the moment !

• Like 1

Weird because I have the retail disc on my hands and it's not seperated on 2 discs (Might be a regional thing?). Also I own hundreds of radio promos of albums and singles and not one of them has that kind of tracklisting. BTW my CD driver complains that the interlude has a pre-emphasis sector when it's not even there. Someone at Coldplay's camp is abusing again the redbook standar a'la Ghost Stories way.

EDIT: I have a feeling those discs are misprints/withdrawn and the retail ones will be quite different.

The album is one CD everywhere. It said so in the official Coldplay shop description. I envy you for already having the physical copy :D

Is it really a "book" with a CD inside like it said somewhere on Amazon ?

The album is one CD everywhere. It said so in the official Coldplay shop description. I envy you for already having the physical copy :D

Is it really a "book" with a CD inside like it said somewhere on Amazon ?

I got the disc out of the blue with a bunch of other stuff on November 7th.

It's just the disc on a cardboard sleeve with the album cover.

While the disc itself is not a promo copy (or atleast I don't seem to find any indicator of it saying "for promotional use only") the cover is the typical thing UMG ships in their promo copies in. Once the album gets released you can request for the case to be sent to you (with you paying the shipment) or you are oblidged to return the disc, free of cost, with a sticker and an envelope it came with. So I'm pretty sure the disc I have is a retail copy. I have no clue yet how the enclosure looks like. It was exactly the same story with Kaleidoscope EP except that one came so late that I already had my copy by the time it arrived so I ended up returning it.

• Like 2

I’ll post something more full after album release but here we go:

I was taken aback after my first listen, but in a very good way. It took about 4-5 listens for some songs to grow on me, but the album as a whole is definitely the best thing the band has put out since VLV.

Standouts:

“When I Need a Friend” - the song Chris has probably always wanted to do. The melodies we have come to love over the past decade are heavily influenced by Chris’ childhood singing at Church, and this is the rawest version of it. This song embodies Coldplay for me yet it is something I’d never expect them to release. Reminds me of Gregorian Chants, but the way I’d want them to sound if I was listening to them casually instead of just while studying. Simply beautiful.

“Cry Cry Cry” - catchy and Jazzy. Song that Ive had on repeat over and over the most. Unlike anything the band has ever done before. Possibly my favorite.

“Trouble in Town” - bass heavy track with police brutality discourse. Love it and what it stands for.

“Daddy”

“Orpahans”

“Bani Adam” - I could’ve seen this on Prospekt’s March. Possibly one of the most beautiful compositions Coldplay has ever put out.

And these are just standouts. Just to mention some, Guns is beautiful, Arabesque is thrilling, Champion of the World is special as an Oldplayer. There’s not a single song on this album that I don’t like. GS has just 2-3 standouts for me, and AHFOD as well, so this is a testament to how good I feel about this album.

New album rankings:

1. AROBTTH

2. VLV

3. Everyday Life

4. Parachutes

5. Mylo Xyloto

6. Ghost Stories

7. X&Y

8. AHFOD

• Like 5

I see the criticism of the album not being cohesive and I partially agree. But this is far from the first time. Where do UFO, Us Against the World and Up with the Birds fit vs Paradise and Princess of China on MX? Even on X&Y...with two of my favorite songs A Message and 'Til Kingdom Come, where do they fit on an album of space/synth rock?

I also see the criticism of some songs being too Chris-focused but I've also seen that in the past. I'd much rather a touching acoustic-only or piano-only track with Chris' vocals than an explosion of fifteen bombastic instruments at once like the chorus of Paradise. Everyone is different, though.

Interesting. Was there some issue with the Ghost Stories CD back then?

"O", was originally mastered with a pregap. Somebody down the promotion/mastering chain must have found that a horrible idea and they re-issued the disc with simply a gap before the retail disc went to stores. Some copies of that disc though still made it to people's hands. All promotional copies of the album that predate the official release contain the pregap marking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pregap

• Like 1

I think the album has a very small amount of songs that are strong enough to lift my rating of:

"What a mess of audio snippets/NOO DON'T RUIN THE SONG WITH RANDOM SHIT/bland guitar tracks"

to

"It's better than the last two albums but still requires several re-listens to finally sound good"

I'm already planning on heavily editing several songs once I get my audio software running LOL.

I really dislike how there are so many REALLY ANNOYING soundbites in there that mess up the whole thing. Also a lot of them don't add anything to the overall quality.

Anyways. I'm still satisfied with this. I'm also very happy about the lack of overly produced songs.

• Like 2

Remember, my fellow listeners... we still haven't heard every new song because Flags has yet to leak. I'm really hoping it's as good as All Your Friends and Ghost Story, and honestly I'm confident that it will be after listening to the main album and not being disappointed by a single track.

• Like 2

I can't wait to buy the album and listen to it in my car. It's usually in the car that i can really tell my feeling about a music haha

Lol same as me , i only listen to the album twice im going to save it for the car raiding that’s how i can tell if a song is good or not for me XD

• Like 4