✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Everyday Life Leak Discussion [SPOILERS INSIDE]

stephen

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EL songs have been in my head since we got the first singles. Used to be all Arabesque, then Trouble in Town, then different other songs from the album. Old friends is playing in my head as I type this. A very good sign.

• Like 1

Anyone got this same association with Ékó? Had to dig in my records for a bit but realised it reminds me a lot of the song Paul Simon - ‘The Coast’/‘Spirit Voices’ and actually the full album ‘ Rhythm Of The Saints’. Or even ‘Graceland’ album, using the african references. If you like the song and don’t know Rhythm Of The Saints, check it out.

• Like 1

I'm still struggling to pin down a favorite song. They're all amazing in their own way... I even love WOTW/POTP just for the simplicity.

Though if I had to narrow it down to a few songs in no particular order, my top 5 are Trouble In Town, Daddy, Arabesque, Everyday Life, and Eko.

I have a theory that Flags was the song that was supposed to be on the album before Orphans came out. Chris said that Orphans was recorded last-minute, during the mixing of the album, so that would explain it.

I'm really excited to listen to it.

That's what I thought as well. It's possible they wanted that symmetry of 8 songs per half of the album so they made the tough decision to cut one from the main track listing and it just so happened to be Flags that got removed.

I wonder if it's about some of the same subject matter as Orphans. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think the title perhaps has something to do with refugees wishing they could be accepted while they live under a flag that's not their own?

That's just pure speculation on my part... :sunrise::moon:

• Like 3

I'm still struggling to pin down a favorite song. They're all amazing in their own way... I even love WOTW/POTP just for the simplicity.

Though if I had to narrow it down to a few songs in no particular order, my top 5 are Trouble In Town, Daddy, Arabesque, Everyday Life, and Eko.

That's what I thought as well. It's possible they wanted that symmetry of 8 songs per half of the album so they made the tough decision to cut one from the main track listing and it just so happened to be Flags that got removed.

I wonder if it's about some of the same subject matter as Orphans. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think the title perhaps has something to do with refugees wishing they could be accepted while they live under a flag that's not their own?

That's just pure speculation on my part... :sunrise::moon:

That is very probable. Or a way of saying it doesn’t matter which flag you carry, we’re quite the same in the end.

• Like 2

I honestly can’t rank albums now. I need a wait a few weeks for the hype to die down.

Also WOTW/POTP (or whatever the short form is) is starting to be such a nice interlude. Broken should have been in the same vein really.

• Like 2

I found some lyrics online for "Champion of The World" and I haven't been this in love with Coldplay since "Death And All His Friends". What a masterpiece!

[spoiler=Lyrics to COTW]

Intro

[in Eastern Asian language]

Verse 1

I tried my best to be just like

The other boys in school

I tried my best to get it right

And died at every June

This mountainside is suicide

This dream will never work

Still the sign upon my headstone, write:

"A champion of the world"

Oh-oh-oh

Oh-oh-oh Oh Oh-oh

Verse 2

I tried my best to stay alight

Fly like a firework

I tried my best at taking flak

But my rocket-ship reversed

No, referee, don't stop the fight

Everyone can see I'm hurt

But I'll stand before conquistadors

'Till I'm champion of the world

Chorus

(When I sail) And when I sail

I'm sailing west

(Though I might fail) Knowing I might fail

But, still I am hoping for the best

(In my dreams) And in my dreams

Onto my chest

She'll bring the colours and say:

"I wandered the whole wide world but

Baby, you're the best"

Lo Lo-lo Lo-lo Oh

E-Oh E-Oh E-Oh E-Oh

Lo Lo-lo Lo-lo

Post-chorus

So I'm flying on my bicycle

Heading outwards from the Earth

I am jumping with no parachute

Out into the universe

I am E.T. on my bicycle

With this kid, and I want more

I am riding on my rocket-ship

And I'm champion of the world.

Outro

[Guitar solo]

:heart_eyes:

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

I F LOVE THIS ALBUM ❤. From the amazing classical opening which is one the most beautiful pieces of music I heard in years, to the back to the roots vibe of alternative indie music the band used to make, to the lyrics with relevant political and sensible themes, to the experimentation of new genres, there's jazz, gospel music, soul, classical .... It felt like the band was jamming in the studio and recording a album at the same time.

And because of this I got a sense of creative freedom from the band to really let go and do whatever they wanted to do. It felt like they were free for the first time in years.

For me is their best album since Viva for sure and my third personal favorite only behind AROBTH and Parachutes.

Maybe it's just me, but I found Trouble in Town very similar in the chorus with Things I Don't Understand .

Favorites songs so far: Church, Trouble in Town, Arabesque, When I need a Friend, Guns, Cry Cry Cry, Champion Of The World, Children of Adam.

• Like 5

So I wrote something about listening to Everyday Life and how it makes me feel and depression. I'd appreciate if some of you could take a look at the thread (didn't wanna post it here because the subject matter is a bit heavy):

https://coldplaying.com/forum/index.php?threads/everyday-life-and-depression-spoilers-inside.125941/post-5952155

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

here are my thoughts about two listens in:

it's pretty fantastic. 8/10

sunrise: stunning, perhaps it's a tad long but the strings sound so gorgeous i couldn't really care less

church: maybe a touch too repetitive but i dig the production on this one, and the tune is nice enough

trouble in town: banger, in contrast from a lot you here, i think the police sample is f***ing fantastic and pushes the song to a visceral sort of space. only complaint is that i wish the distorted guitar in the bridge was louder...why is the guitar getting hidden in the mix all the time???

brokEn: also in contrast to a lot here, i love this song. it's feel good gospel, i don't feel like chris sounds out of place with the choir. feels really classic singalong to me, honestly in the best way.

daddy: just heartbreakingly beautiful. it resonated with me in a very personal way.

WOTW/POTP: demo-- yes, but it adds to the weird nature of the record. the fact that it's like a soundbite/voice memos sort of thing isn't really a turn off, and though it could've probably been fleshed out into something decent, i don't think i needs to be.

arabesque: best song on the record, probably. so much so i kind of wish i had waited to hear it with the rest of the record; i would've loved to be blown away again.

when i needed a friend: don't get how jo while cried over this, but it's dope. jacob collier does his thing on this one. wish chris's vocals were a little louder though.

guns: nice short cut, i personally i haven't heard music like this so it's uniqueness is what makes it above average. nothing to write home about though...it's over too quickly to make any other sort of lasting impression.

orphans: pop banger. enough said.

éko: the composition (chords, melody, structure) is up there with the most beautiful coldplay songs, such as prospekt's march/poppyfields and a rush a blood to the head. the modulations are wonderful; so much color packed in such a short track.

cry cry cry: a throwback vibe. i don't know if i'm completely sold yet on coldplay's performance on this track., though it is a nice enough tune itself.

old friends: charming. basically éko, but not as striking in my opinion.

bani adam: best instrumental they've ever done. this is what a quality interlude sounds like, coldplay.

champion of the world: absolutely do NOT get the hype when it comes to this track. i understand the comparisons to AROBTTH but it's sounds like a cheap derivative of the sound they crafted on that record and even on X&Y. the melody isn't particularly interesting, and the progression feels soooo repetitive. that's the thing with pop: you want to have repetition so that it's catchy but the progression and melody themselves have to be interesting enough to prevent becoming stale after each cycle. i don't think coldplay succeeded in making this one. i'd use this song as evidence to back up claims by critics who say coldplay sounds like white bread and wallpaper, to be honest.

everyday life: makes way more sense in the context of the record. more bombast after the (somewhat bland) bombast of COTW wasn't the best choice. it's a hopeful way to end the record. beautiful work lads.

• Like 1

Playthrough number: who knows? But this is turning to be a grower for me, liking it more and more.

Good/Great/Would listen again: Church, Trouble in Town, Orphans, Champion of the World, Everyday Life, Sunrise, Daddy, Arabesque, When I Need a Friend, Eko, Old Friends,

The rest/me no likey: BrokEn, WOTW/POTP, Guns, Bani Adam, Cry Cry Cry

I think I just had to be in certain state of mind to appreciate certain songs, and I guess I am in that mood now, lol.

So, what are my rankings now...?

S Tier

1. AROBTTH (Mastapiece)

A Tier

T-2. Parachutes

T-2. X&Y

T-2. GS (Im a sucker for love/breakup albums)

B Tier

5. Viva (overrated. good, but overrated)

6. EL

C Tier

7. MX

8. AHFOD

When I apparently controversially asked how EL projected on everyone's tier list after 3 songs, I guess for me personally, it projected to be A tier. I guess my disappointment came from it not living up to that hype with the rest of the tracks. Not the fault of the band obviously, but my own expectations. Nevertheless, I feel pretty sure about my rankings. Wish I could have more separation on A tier, but its really based on mood I guess lol

• Like 4

So I wrote something about listening to Everyday Life and how it makes me feel and depression. I'd appreciate if some of you could take a look at the thread (didn't wanna post it here because the subject matter is a bit heavy):

https://coldplaying.com/forum/index.php?threads/everyday-life-and-depression-spoilers-inside.125941/post-5952155

:heart:

• Like 1

Does anyone know why there's a clip of kids chanting/singing at the end of Trouble in Town? I won't be bothered by it if there's a reason for it. With Coldplay, there usually is but I'm curious.

trouble in town: banger, in contrast from a lot you here, i think the police sample is f***ing fantastic and pushes the song to a visceral sort of space. only complaint is that i wish the distorted guitar in the bridge was louder...why is the guitar getting hidden in the mix all the time???

Agree about the guitar. I wish it was a hair louder. I can hear it well enough when it matters but louder would be appreciated.

• Like 1

1. AROBTTH

2. VLV

3. X&Y

4. Parachutes

5. MX

6. Everyday Life

7. GS

8. AHFOD

I will say, it takes Coldplay songs/albums a LONG time to grow on me. A lot of it depends on how good the live performances are. Since this album has so many good musical bits and is unique, there's a chance it could move into 3/4/5 for me. But I don't see it touching AROBTTH or VLV.

The album feels a little disjointed at the moment to me, and undeveloped. We went from way way too overproduced on AHFOD to a bit underproduced on EL. Having said that, Church, Trouble in Town, Arabesque, Eko, Daddy, COTW, Old Friends, and Cry Cry Cry are really good. I wish When I Need a Friend was a bit longer and fleshed out because it's so good. (On second thought, there is something to the shortness and simplicity of it)

But WOTP/POTP should be a fully recorded song with the whole band, like wtf. It sounds good but it's like I'm trying to hear my mom over the phone. Like what is he saying, it sounds good but I want to HEAR the song.

The acoustic guitar is so good on this album. Unbelievable work from Chris, that we've never really seen before.

I really admire how much Chris pushed himself on this album. And Guy too. I just wish it had a little more flow and more Jonny.

• Like 6