✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Everyday Life Leak Discussion [SPOILERS INSIDE]

stephen

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I know a lot of people here really dislike AHFOD but while I know it's not their best work, I'm always so shocked by the amount of hate it gets.

I have such positive memories of that era

I was listening to A Head Full Of Dreams much more than MYLOXYLOTO over the years.

Both albums are not in my Top 5 Coldplay albums but still I don't dislike them.

Still needs more prominent electric guitar to totally win me over but this is the best thing they've put out since Prospekt's March, definitely. Sounds more like the acoustic direction they were supposedly taking before those sessions turned into Mylo Xyloto. No idea why they put BrokEn inbetween Trouble In Town and Daddy, breaking up the 'heartbeat' transition. Seems like there were some last-minute sequencing decisions on this one. Great to hear so much more emphasis on Guy's parts.

Still think Everyday Life needs more of an outro to not feel like an anti-climax, Champion Of The World isn't quite catchy or memorable enough to be up there with the big singles from AROBTTH and X&Y like some seem to be comparing it to, it's closer to DLIBYH for me. But I love Trouble In Town and Church, if AHFOD sounded more like the latter I wouldn't have minded nearly as much! This is what Coldplay doing pop should always have sounded like. The production on Church reminds me of "Ray Of Light"-era William Orbit, definite early-00s vibes. And the mixing and mastering is some of the best I've heard on a Coldplay album. I imagine the focus on piano and acoustic guitar helps that a lot.

Does anyone else think that Church and Everyday Life sound as if they have the same chords/melody? Cool bookending technique if so.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Well, thank God the AHFOD, MX era of songs is over. This album is so, so much better than the previous two IMHO. It's more refined, mature. I get heavy influences of U2, Echo and the Bunnymen and earlier Coldplay. Its not without its weaker points but in general a massive step in the right direction.

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

Wow, just wow - I never expected this. This is unlike anything they've ever done before and it's fantastic, such a breath of fresh air after AHFOD. I listened to the full album in bed last night and it is so, so good. But here's my track by track:

Sunrise - Absolutely beautiful arrangement. I'm not big on classical music but this is brilliant. Possibly a little too long? 8.5/10

Church - I've seen a lot of negativity around this song, but I think it's one of the best on the album. It's got such a chill vibe through it - I can imagine listening to this on a summers day. The addition of the female vocals at the end is a great touch too. I imagine this will be a single, and I think it'd do well! 10/10

Trouble in Town - I would never, ever expect a song like this from Coldplay but this is just brilliant. It's so, so dark and I love how the song takes a heavier turn after the police sample. Such a brilliant commentary on police brutality too. 9.5/10

BrokEn - Unfortunately, gospel isn't my cup of tea so I'm not a big fan. However, objectively speaking, it isn't a bad song. 6/10

Daddy - I'm lost for words with this. I thought the title was awful, but the song sounds like it's from a child so the title fits perfectly. My dad left me when I was 5 and I haven't seen him since, and this song just reminds me of how I felt. Gut-wrenching, but this is so so good. 10/10

WOTW/POTP - This is a weird one, it's almost 'too' raw - I can barely make out the lyrics. However, in the context of the album it's quite nice 6/10

Arabesque - Ever since this came out it's been on repeat. I don't even care that the sax solo is really long, it fits perfectly. And the ending, as everyone knows, is sublime. 10/10

When I Need A Friend - I enjoy this more than BrokEn, but still a slight weaker point of the album for me. I do love the atmosphere of the song though! 7.5/10

Guns - Short but packs one hell of punch! This takes me back to the VLV demos in a very good way. Short but perfect how it is I thnk 9/10

Orphans - I loved this when it came out, probably not as much as Arabesque but it's still 'Newplay' done right. It does feel a little out of place though 8/10

Eko - Such a lovely song, I love how soft and melodic it is.. Reminds me a little bit of Strawberry Swing :) 9/10

Cry Cry Cry - Very soulful, I wasn't too keen on it at first but it's growing on me a lot! '8.5/10

Old Friends - I like it, but it's a bit similar to Eko for me so slightly forgettable. May grow on me more 7.5/10

Bani Adam - That piano is haunting and reminds me so much of Famous Old Painters. Then the drums come in and takes it to another level - brilliant. Maybe my favourite instrumental piece by them 9/10

Champion Of The World - Now THIS is what we've all been craving for! This song sounds like it's been plucked right from AROBTTH for me. And to top it off it has an epic crescendo. Amazing! 10/10

Everyday Life - A very calm and soothing ending for the album as we all know 9/10

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Day 2: this album is a strange mix of weaker moments (all those unfinished, demo-y, Chris-only or Chris + backing singers songs) and absolute masterpieces (Champion of the World, Trouble in Town, Arabesque, Everyday Life) with some good but not outstanding songs thrown in (Daddy, Sunrise,...)

And for those masterpieces alone the album is worth listening.

• Like 2

I’m glad they’re finally moving away from the MX/AHFOD sound but not gonna lie, I’m not enjoying it as much as I hoped I would

There's nothing wrong with the MX/AHFOD sound. The songwriting is what actually counts. In my opinion, as long as there's good delivery and creative pop elements, I will be satisfied. I truly enjoyed the energy and high spirit of several songs during these two eras. They truly diversified Coldplay's catalog and seperated them from one-dimensional alternative bands like Keane, Snow Patrol or Muse.

• Like 4

Not every song needs every member of the band. That sort of thinking is what leads to the bombastic ness of MX.

While I do agree that not every song needs every member of the band, there A LOT of songs on this album that is literally just Chris and a guitar or piano or choir. (Broken, Daddy, WOTW, When I Need a Friend, Guns, Eko, Cry Cry Cry, Old Friends) Songs can definitely be minimal and intimate with the whole band being involved ex: like all of Parachutes. While I really do love this album, it does feel a little weird with so many songs being very solo

• Like 2

That's neat, what stuff in particular?

Arabesque is from a jam session the band did when Brian Eno had Chris leave the studio for 2 weeks. This is what we know so far, but probably other song parts are coming from there as well. I actually submitted that question to the bandfor the fan Q&A, I hope it gets picked !

Alright I caved and listened to the plumbing issue. I loved MX when it came out, but after a few years I basically never listened to it anymore. The same happened with Ghost Stories, except that I got bored after a few months instead of years. AHFOD just left me cold, there are only 2 songs on it that I really like.

So I'm really happy this album is so different from those 3, fuck yes. Finally. It's a weird one though, a very weird one...

Sunrise - promising beginning of the album, gave me major VLV vibes which is always a good thing.

Church - I'm an atheist and I 'struggled' (for the lack of a better word) with the God related lyrics on Amazing Day so I was Sceptical about this title and... yeah, those lyrics are um. not Chris best I'd say, to put it mildly. Luckily Jonny attempts to save the song like he often does, but for now I don't like this track at all

Trouble in Town - I read great things about this one when I couldn't look away from this thread yesterday. Unfiltered thoughts while listening for the first time: BASS. political Coldplay rises!! YESSSSS. AROBTTHCOLDPLAYRISES fdhfghgfhgf

BrokEn - yeah, me after hearing Trouble in Town. Anyway. This is weird. This is one of the tracks that makes me call it a weird album. I dunno if I needed gospel!Coldplay in my life honestly. Also why can't we just format it like normal oldskool titles without random capital letters

Daddy - Nice piano melody. Reminds me of Fly On which is not really a good thing in my case. I'm afraid I got a bit bored halfway. Also, funny how those birds pop up at the end haha. Of course it's not a Coldplay album without some birdies or references to flying!

WOTW/POTP - More bird vibes. Um. Why did they put a half-assed demo on the record? Odd.

Arabesque - bop. SAME FUCKING BLOOD. Love this song.

When i need a friend - uh hallelujah? Will be interesting live unless they just take the choir to Jordan. Dunno, not my bag, this one. Spanish at the end which means the languages count is now at 3.

Interludes - enough with the church stuff now pls. I'm generally not a fan of interludes and these feel quite weird too

Guns - NOW we're talking! I LOVE SWEARING CHRIS AND I LOVE THIS LIL SONG. Just wish it was a little bit longer

Orphans - bop. It's a bit weird to hear it after such an angry song, but we'll get used to that I suppose.

Eko - This is a cute song I guess. Needs more listens maybe.

Cry Cry Cry - is that Crazy Frog? jk. This one is different, I like it. I think. Needs more listens too.

Old Friends - I wrote down "Parachutes vibes"

Bani Adam - The first half made me wish I could play the piano. The languages count is now at 4, decent. (I'm a translator and languages freak in case that wasn't clear lol)

Champion of the world - Now this. Is. Exactly what I wanted??? Holy shit. Best song on the album. I can't stop listening to it

Everyday Life - Yeah meh (especially after the previous track), maybe this will grow on me but I somehow doubt it

• Like 1

Sunrise 8

Church 9

Trouble In Town 9

BrokEn 8

Daddy 8

WOTW/POTP 7

Arabesque 8

When I Need A Friend 7

Guns 9

Orphans 7

Eko 7