✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Everyday Life Leak Discussion [SPOILERS INSIDE]

stephen

I think/hope people warm to church. It's really not like AHFOD and I think people aren't taking to it because it's probably the second most 'poppy' after Orphans and that stargate credit. To me it comes from the same place as Rainy Day but just sounds a little more modern, its got a very 2000s melody imo with a more up to date production

My thoughts exactly. There are so many things I like about that song. I guess it's because of all of the good songs it reminds me of ("Rainy Day", "Crests Of Waves", "Tomorrow Never Knows" by The Beatles).

• Like 3

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trouble In Town could've done without the voice memo

I disagree with this. It goes a long way to underscore the point they're trying to make with the song and it's visceral. As I said before, with the memo (and political nature of the song) plus Jonny's guitar, it reminds me of a short Pink Floyd song.

• Like 5

I recently was able to obtain the full album and I’ve decided to just listen to the first second of every song:

1. Sunrise - maybe a violin starting up?

2. Church - n/a

3. Trouble in Town - We all fall in love sometimes reborn?

4. BrokEn - n/a

5. Daddy - n/a

6. WOTW/POTP - Is Hymn for the weekend back!?

7. Arabesque- street noise

8. When I need a friend - Waterfall, rainfall sound maybe?

1. Guns - Great intro! Most striking on the album so far

2. Orphans - Another good intro

3. Eko - what a funny little sound sounds middle eastern/Indian

4. Cry Cry Cry - it’s that bit from the press conference!

5. Old friends - U.F.O is that you?

6. Bani Adam - Classical piano

7. Champion of the world - ugh I don’t know it sounds a bit weird

8. Everyday life - N/a

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Jesus Christ what an album. I was worried that Arabesque would be the clear best song, but there are some serious contenders. I even love Church, which seems to be kinda polarizing. I’m picking up on a hybrid of X&Y and AHFOD that I didn’t even know that I wanted.

Also, I’ve always thought Chris was an extremely underrated rhythm guitarist, but I was seriously impressed with some of his acoustic work on this album (assuming it was him and not Jonny.) There are several technical and creative riffs throughout. Plus his brilliant piano parts, as always.

• Like 3

Okay, so I was able to listen to the album in its entirety for at least 3 times now. And although I’m not sure yet on where to place it, I must say that it’s definitely a beast of its own. It was both experimental and peculiar at the same time. A cohesive unit that SHOULD be enjoyed as a whole to appreciate it further. Though I admit that I still need to get used to all those “fVck1ng” words everytime I hear it, it feels like this album is very much different from what they’ve done so far: no “hit” single, a lot of instrumentals, voice memos and excerpts, a wide palette of genres/styles, and its sheer rawness and honesty will really catch you. I agree that this album is not everyone’s cup of tea but so are the previous albums to a certain degree. It was a brave effort from the band and really didn’t expect something like this will dawn on us after A Head Full of Dreams. I could see why they are proud of this album. Wish Jonny had more exposure on the album though.

KEY TRACKS

Sunrise: Trouble In Town, Arabesque, Daddy

Sunset: Champion of the World, Eko, Everyday Life

BEST TRACK: Champion of the World

• Like 5

Sunrise: I didn't care much about this one. It's a good intro, but it doesn't beat Life in Technicolor or MX/Hurts Like heaven. 6/10

Church: It's a solid pop song. The Chorus is catchy, and I like Chris' delivery. Jonny's guitar fits nicely with the ambient sound. I thought the female voice (I wonder who it is) was a nice addition. 8/10

Trouble in Town: Great song. The second half was very Pink Floydesque. I liked that it ends with a snippet of kids singing that still managed to fit nicely with the beat. 9/10

BroKen: It reminds me a lot of Death Will Never Conquer. It's short but it has a nice old-school Rythm & Blues vibe. 7.5/10

Daddy: I'm not sure how to feel about this one. I think it's the weakest song of the album. Yes, it has the beautiful famous old painters piano riff, but I felt that the song was dragging before the climax, which was the best part of the song. 6/10

WAOTW/POTW: It's a nice but short acoustic song reminiscent of Parachutes (the track). 7.5/10

Arabesque: Simply the best song in this album. 10/10

When I Need a Friend: I still don't know what to think about this song, but it's definitely interesting, and I feel like it will grow on me. It's very church-influenced with modern Gregorian chants, and it has the sad mood for a fairy tale disney movie or a theatrical perfomance. 6.5/10

Sunset/Sunrise interludes: The church bells remind me of Victorian times for some reason, so I guess they fit well with the early 19th century theme. I can't rate these tracks, but they create a nice interlude. N/A

Guns: It's a raw, brave, and minimalistic song. It's one of their best alternative tracks in recent years. 7.5/10

Orphans: It's very uplifting and U2esque, I loved the lyrics and energy, but If I'm being honest, Mylo Xyloto and A Head Full of Dreams had better pop songs than this track. 7/10

Eko: I really loved this song. It has a quaint and whimsical vibe. The guitar reminds me of Sufjan Stevens from the Carrie and Lowell album. The Chorus is quite charming, and the lyrics are touching. 8/10

Cry Cry Cry: One of the best songs on the album. I think it's their best attempt at making a pop ballad. I love the rythm and the chorus. I think the production was excellent. I loved the auto-tune background vocals. The lyrics are simple, but I feel like it was intentional like the rest of the tracks. 8.5/10

Old Friends: Another short song and another acoustic gem. It's soothing with simple but poignant lyrics. The transition and the change of melody at the end is quite beautiful. 8/10

Bani Adam: An interesting piano-driven instrumental in the first half where Chris was really showing off his skills. Then, the second half fades in. It's groovy and the voice snippets fit quite nicely. 7.5/10

Champion of The World: One of the best tracks. The transition between Bani Adam and the start of this song gave me goosebumps. It's a soft and charming ballad that keeps building up. It was the second most memorable moment of the album. 9/10

Everyday life: Another great ballad. Beautiful instrumentation, top-notch production, uplifting lyrics and a lot of soul. 9/10

Based on the song scores, the album gets an average of 7.8/10

My Coldplay album ranking as of now:

AROBTTH

VLVODAAHF

Parachutes

Everyday Life

Mylo Xyloto

Ghost Stories

X&Y

A Head Full of Dreams

• Like 2

Okay, so I was able to listen to the album in its entirety for at least 3 times now. And although I’m not sure yet on where to place it, I must say that it’s definitely a beast of its own. It was both experimental and peculiar at the same time. A cohesive unit that SHOULD be enjoyed as a whole to appreciate it further. Though I admit that I still need to get used to all those “fVck1ng” words everytime I hear it, it feels like this album is very much different from what they’ve done so far: no “hit” single, a lot of instrumentals, voice memos and excerpts, a wide palette of genres/styles, and its sheer rawness and honesty will really catch you. I agree that this album is not everyone’s cup of tea but so are the previous albums to a certain degree. It was a brave effort from the band and really didn’t expect something like this will dawn on us after A Head Full of Dreams. I could see why they are proud of this album. Wish Jonny had more exposure on the album though.

KEY TRACKS

Sunrise: Trouble In Town, Arabesque, Daddy

Sunset: Champion of the World, Eko, Everyday Life

BEST TRACK: Champion of the World

That last part is my only complaint. This album definitely could've used more Jonny. That's not even him playing guitar on Arabesque. Not sure if people knew that.

• Like 5

I was happy reading all of your opinions on the album until I started to read the same repetitive posts full of hate against AHFOD, and I suddenly remember what was wrong with this forum most of the time of an album release.

Please, go on and learn yourself a lesson from Everyday Life. Enough with the rudeness, and begin to be respectful with others opinions. It's not necessary to claim on every post that, according to you, 'X' album is a piece of garbage: not everybody has the same tastes as you.

• Like 7

I did not understand why the Sunrise / Sunset Interlude was divided into six parts of very few seconds. I don't think it was just to increase the number of tracks, cuz it was not even on the official track listing that would have it. If they had compressed in a single 29-second range in all, I think it would fit a lot better.

I was happy reading all of your opinions on the album until I started to read the same repetitive posts full of hate against AHFOD, and I suddenly remember what was wrong with this forum most of the time of an album release.

Please, go on and learn yourself a lesson from Everyday Life. Enough with the rudeness, and begin to be respectful with others opinions. It's not necessary to claim on every post that, according to you, 'X' album is a piece of garbage: not everybody has the same tastes as you.

AHFOD is a top 3 albums for me.

1-GS

2-VLV

3-AHFOD

4-MX

5-EL

6-AROBTTH

7-X&Y

8-PARACHUTES

• Like 1

Now, about Everyday Life...

It's for sure the more experimental thing they have done since 2008. To me it's like VLV and AHFOD have a children: taking the varied spectrum of sound from the first and the concept of kindness and gratitude to life from the second. It's raw and weird, but I like it.

It's also one of Guy's most prominents albums (a good thing) , but the lack of Jonny is very very noticeable, and that makes it a little bit weak to me (Jonny Boy is my favorite member).

Top: Everyday Life, Champion Of The World, Church, Arabesque, Cry Cry Cry.

Good: Old Friends, Sunrise, Orphans, Trouble In Town.

Normal: Guns, Eko, Daddy.

Interludes: BrokEn, WOTW/POTP, When I Need A Friend, Bani Adam.

• Like 2

I disagree, I really like the intensity it adds to the song.

The voice samples are really good in my opinion, it adds a very interesting dimension to the songs.

I agree completely. It helps along with the instrumental backing to build up a whole lot of tension which is perfectly released with "Why don't you shut up?" and Will kicking it up a notch.

i love AHFOD, easily top 3 for me

• Like 3

Ok on 3rd listen , now I start to get caught up in lyrics it always takes me a few try’s to fully get what songs are saying .

Wow sunrise is reallllly so beautiful .

I’m a little confused by church .. I mean it sounds good but lyrically I’m not sure what exactly it’s supose to be about in relation to the rest of the album ..

trouble in town - aggressive and full of impact ..

broken - to the point uplifting gospel tune , just still can’t process this styling from Chris lol

WOTW/POTP - a bit hard to hear I had the feeling it was Chris singing bits and pieces of a song he was trying to create .. I need to further hear the lyrics

Daddy - was soooo not expecting this at allllll . So touching and sad . Sadly such true lyrics .. I really enjoyed this one . I can’t personally connect to it but I know many that can .

Arabesque- again such a good song

When I need a friend - really to emotional for me .. I feel a strong spiritual , cry in this . I just really liked it

Guns - thought it was excellent , rushed but That’s kinda what made sense .. it had authority , like someone getting worked up about what they need to say .

Orphans - loved it since the first time I heard it :)

Eko- I need some more time with this one and it’s lyrics

Cry cry cry - I love everything about this song ! After my initial shock that this was Coldplay lol first lyrically simple but again makes you feel like your never alone . Just uplifting . And I’ve never heard Chris Martin sing like this lol I dunno I loved all of this it was special . However I cannot listen to it without thinking about curious George I dunno if it’s the music there’s something that’s giving me déjà vu lol

Old friends- in my top 3 on this album ! It just makes me smile and I love the music in it

Bani Adam - beautiful

Champion of the world - YES! This is Coldplay .

Everyday life - perfect

I really appreciated this era . Definately not mainstream but needs to be heard .

• Like 2

I for one am very happy to get this album. It may not end up above viva or rush of blood, or even parachutes, but for me, this is the best album they have released in the last decade. This is an album with substance (and some filler), that requires attention and more time to explore. It is very raw, emotional, open and un-freaking-filtered!! For once what a radio DJ said early held up ha!

I should learn to trust the band when it comes to their touring plans, because I understand and appreciate that they don't want to do a big world wide tour with this. It is a very respectful decision on their end, considering some of the subject matter in the album.

That said, I can't stop listening to trouble in town!! What a gorgeous track!

• Like 2

Okay to be honest, I wasn’t crazy about the album the first time I listened. I was so disappointed since I loved all three singles. But after 3 listens through the whole album, I’m actually really starting to love it. Here’s how I feel about the tracks!:

Love: Sunrise, Daddy, Arabesque, Orphans, Everyday Life

Really Like: Church, BrokEn, Cry Cry Cry, Old Friends, Champion of the World

Like/OK: Trouble In Town, WOTW / POTP, When I Need A Friend, Guns, Eko, Bani Adam

I’m sure I’ll grow to love each and every one of them, but that’s my day one reaction!!

• Like 4

First impressions of Sunrise-

Sunrise

-Beautiful instrumental, really epic classical/Viva vibes. Great opening

Church

-I'm surprised to see mixed reviews on this one, because I think it's absolutely brilliant. I'm unsure yet about the drum production if I really like it or not. But Chris' vocals I think are outstanding and unique. It gives me some floaty X&Y vibes with a modern twist.

Trouble in Town

So so so cool and unique. The only song on the album that has a true standard rock feel (at the end after the police interaction sample thing?). Jonny and Guy really stand out on this song.

BrokEn

-Obviously very different from anything they've ever done. It's basically a standard gospel song, which is not necessarily my type of music. But Chris manages to make a catchy tune out of it. I dig it. It's very interesting that Chris would do a song like this that is obviously very based in the Christian religion. I think he just appreciates all religions and cultures, and is inspired by beautiful music, and gospel music is certainly beautiful. I see this song as Chris acknowledging and appreciating Christianity, and specially traditional black gospel music, as a way people cope with the troubles of the world.

Daddy

-An absolute treat for Oldplayers. This has like pre-Parachutes vibes, and is better than anything they released pre-Parachutes. It's on par with the sound and quality of For You/Gravity. Extraordinarily sad song, but beautiful.

WOTP/POTP

-First let me say I like the melody and overall tune. But this one frustrates me a bit. I appreciate the attempt to be organic and obviously this was recorded not with the intention of being a studio recording. Did Chris record this outside and just kind of mumble along? It's almost as if the studio recording of this song was of Chris trying to write the song and figure out the lyrics. The song has great potential, I just wish they had fleshed it out with a little more clarity and actual production. They could still make it sound organic and raw (which was clearly the intention), but put a little more production into it. It's like a combination of Jack Johnson, Bob Marley and gospel?

Arabesque

-As some critic said, it's probably the most interesting thing Coldplay has done in a decade (not so coincidentally, the bass/guitar/percussion is from Viva sessions with Eno). It continues to grow on me and I can't wait to hear the live performance of it. Really powerful lyrics from Chris.

When I Need A Friend

-Love it. I remember reading a few weeks back that Jacob Collier worked with the band on this album, and I started to get into his music a little bit recently, and if you listen to his music, it was immediately noticeable that he's very prominent on this song. Very cool stuff. Only complaint is I wish the song was a little more fleshed out. The bones of the song are so good that I'm left wanting more.

• Like 3