✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Everyday Life Leak Discussion [SPOILERS INSIDE]

stephen

Hello folks! As you might have already learnt I eventually gave in and allowed myself to listen to the whole record. Honestly it was challenging to resist the tempation. Moreover I came to the conclusion that I'd rather hear the studio version before watching Live In Jordan to avoid wondering why something sounds so "different" in case I do the other way round. This time I happened to play the album when I was supposed to go to bed. Due to that I stayed up late till 2:30 earlier today which I don't regret at all. It was worth it after all.

When the record was over I was completely breathless and even had tears in my eyes because I was so overwhelmed! I felt very lucky and delighted to live in this era and experience all what has been happening recently regarding Coldplay. However now I'll gladly share my review with all of you here. I'm sorry for using bad language as I have no intention to censor myself and this all is from the bottom of my heart. Apart from that the language you can read below is not very sophisticated and neat. In fact the words I'm using to write down my opinions are taken from messages that I've sent to my friends and fellow Coldplayers.

Sunrise is a fucking amazing album intro. Fucking stunning strings! It sounds so splendid! Very heavenly and divine...

Church is breathtaking! Love the combination of random vocals and whales singing in the background... It's like a mixture of Everyday Life and Hurts Like Heaven with a bit of Life In Technicolor I... Especially the second half of this song sounds low-key triumphant. Damn the woman singing at the end uplifts the track extremely high! I love the climax. Hell this is brilliant and impressive.

Trouble In Town reminds me of Los Unidades which is a compliment actually. The instruments sounds so great here especially piano on the top of guitar. And the build-up is freaking awesome! As if 42 met AICTAIY and brought along DAAHF!

BrokEn is a cute song. The choir makes it sound much it bigger and hearty. Nothing much to add. I could consider it a filler though which is controversial.

Daddy... What a song this is! The lyrics alongside the Parachutes / Ghost Stories-esque melody manage to numb me which I find rare. It feels like a child of Christmas Lights and Oceans. Listening to this compares to being struck by a lightning.

WOTW/POTP reminds me of The Hardest Part. It's a nice addition to the track list. So sweet to hear Chris singing along the guitar. Very raw and simple. Less is more is totally suitable for this occassion.

Arabesque... What should I utter? Boy this is a banger! Let me say it again. This is a fucking banger! At first I was convinced Chris was singing the French part till I was proven wrong... Never mind. Will singing those two lines makes it so pleasing for me. And the sax solo! Damn it! I'm so happy there's a lot of that in it. Sometimes it is satisfying to hear more instruments breaks than actual lyrics. The bridge with the message that 'music is a weapon of the future' is fucking brilliant! Then the climax which leads up to Chris swearing... Maaan this is very triumphant and so pleasantly shocking!

When I Need A Friend is so ethereal thanks to the choir... Feels like I'm going through a clinical death which is also a compliment! The talk at the end makes it interesting. Hearing this makes me imagine myself being at a service in church.

Interludes... I find them very fitting. A great way to end the Sunrise set and announce the Sunset set.

Guns... I'm so fond of the fact that they have managed to put so much force and energy into such a short track! The level of excitement barely descends. It's unbelievably high all the time.

Orphans... The only party song here! No I'm just joking. It's striking how the lyrics and instrumental track contrast with each other in terms of the mood. Nevertheless it's a fun track and really easy to sing along. The usage of children's choir during the chorus makes it sound more vivid. Also here comes the train with the woo-woo tune which is adorable and amusing. Yes these interjections aren't out of place here. They fit like a glove.

Eko sounds so really beautiful. Prospekt's March + Glass Of Water with a Mediterranean twist. It's like a companion to Daddy.

Cry Cry Cry is an intriguing song for sure. I can imagine Coldplay performing this in a jazz club. Or maybe not as this could be a slow jam as well. Lovely tune for all those in love.

Old Friends... This takes me back to AROBTTH. A distant reminiscence of The Scientist mixed with Green Eyes. The lyrics are totally poignant and touching... This could be the most emotional song right after Daddy for me.

Bani Adam reminds me of classical music during the Beethoven and Mozart era. Beautifully written and played! The guitar at the end could make it a bit jarring but actually manages to make me bewildered about what's going on. The melody in the second half sounds like something straight from VLVODAAHF.

Champion Of The World is the song that hits me hard as soon as the guitar riff pops up. I feel both happy and sad simultaneously which is absolutely stunning... Everyday Life's The Hardest Part? Everyday Life's X&Y? Everyday Life's Up With The Birds? Everyday Life's Amazing Day? Maybe even Everyday Life's A Sky Full Of Stars? Everyday Life's Up&Up? Everyday Life's Miracles (Someone Special)? I'm telling you this is the pinnacle of the whole album for me! And oh my god Will singing! It's such a blessing to hear him sing many lines so audibly and clearly... Chris and Will singing together is so soothing and moving... Also Chris singing "lalalala..." during the chorus reminds me of Cemeteries Of London. Completely amazing and wonderful song!!! There are not enough adjectives to describe this masterpiece. This must be one of the most important songs Coldplay has ever devised written recorded and released! It's fantastic! It's bombastic! Hell I'm fucking dead. This is pure brilliance and joy!

Everyday Life... This is such a strong outro for the album. Emotionally this could rival Eko for the title of 2nd most poignant song after Daddy on this album... Lyrically this is completely impressive. I mean it's admirable and honestly amazing how Coldplay can turn something ordinary and casual into something bewitching and wonderful. Thank God for the strings in this song! In my honest opinion they uplift this track to another level.

Some random thoughts or fun facts:

1) My initial recation was "Jesus Christ! This is like listening to Madame X by Madonna.".

2) I was listening to the Sunset part while lying in my bed and getting ready to sleep soon. Then the guitar riff of Champions Of The World came on out of nowhere and I was so stunned and amazed that I instantly sat on my bed.

3) When I playing the album for the very first time I was freaked out about the fact that each song sounded so random but afterwards I managed to learn to appreciate that.

4) From my point of view even though every song seems to sound so different from each other Coldplay still managed to keep the record cohesive as much as possible.

Everyday Life is an album which I dedicate to my parents. I feel like this whole record perfectly and in detail describes what both my mother and father must have felt and experienced during the Vietnam War. It seems as if Coldplay narrated a story about each of my parents. As if Coldplay have given me something I didn't know I wanted...

I need this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Wow 1

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunrise - Would've made for a neat 30 second intro. Wears out its welcome pretty quickly.

Church - It sounds very 90s, which is unexpected for Coldplay. It's quite a grower though. I like the singing at the end, gives it a real new-age feel.

Trouble in Town - I like it, don't love it. I like when the full band comes in near the end, gives me a slightly Radiohead feel almost. I'm not sure about the violent sample though, feels pretty jarring.

BrokEn - Kind of a generic gospel tune. Don't really need it.

Daddy - Holy shit. This is one of the best songs Coldplay have EVER done. So unbelievably beautiful. Just incredible. Makes the whole album worth it.

WOTW/POTP - Just a rough demo. Not really needed.

Arabesque - An incredible tune, probably their best song of the 2010s, but doesn't really belong on this album.

When I Need a Friend - Nice choral interlude. Really doubles down on the whole new-age feel.

Guns - Meh. Not huge on the lyrics, and there's not enough going on with the music to keep me invested.

Orphans - The best mainstream pop song Coldplay have done this decade, easily. Fits in with the rest of the album better than Arabesque does.

Eko - Nice little celtic folk thing. It's ok.

Cry Cry Cry - Didn't like it at first, but it's grown like crazy. Now it's one of my favourite songs.

Old Friends - Pre-Parachutes vibes. Reminds me of songs like See You Soon. Pretty, understated thing.

Bani Adam - Nice little piano bit in the first half. Not as sold on the second half.

Champion of the World - The lyrics are really touching. Wonderful tribute to Scott Hutchison. But the music isn't quite clicking with me yet.

Everyday Life - Works better in context of the record. Sweet closer.

I don't dislike any of the songs, but I don't really love any songs other than Arabesque, Orphans and Daddy yet. Most of the tracks feel like song ideas and demos, which is fine but not quite as fleshed out as I would've hoped. No idea where I'd rank it yet, but my top 3 of Viva, AROBTTH and Ghost Stories remains firm.

• Like 1

Something tells me that Flags is a random song they tagged onto the album i.e completely different from all the stuff we’ve heard on the album - maybe something along the lines of Orphans. I would love it if it was a Ghost Story type of indie rock.

I have a theory that Flags was the song that was supposed to be on the album before Orphans came out. Chris said that Orphans was recorded last-minute, during the mixing of the album, so that would explain it.

I'm really excited to listen to it.

• Like 2

I hope 'Flags' will be officially released around the world after the exclusive Japan CD.

It probably will. The three bonus tracks of Ghost Stories were Target exclusive on the US, but then they released it worldwide in the 'Sky Full of Stars EP'. Guess we will see it probably as a B-Side to some future single.

• Like 3

I have a theory that Flags was the song that was supposed to be on the album before Orphans came out. Chris said that Orphans was recorded last-minute, during the mixing of the album, so that would explain it.

I'm really excited to listen to it.

Hmm if that’s the case then it bodes well for this song. Heh.

• Like 1

I was gonna do a full review of the album but I’ve decided to wait it out till the release.

But I just wanna say that this is NOT a double album - why it’s market as such I have no idea.

The whole sunrise/sunrise thing don’t mean shit. Haha. The two “sides” are so generic (no clear theme) that u can swap the songs around and you won’t know the difference.

Also. Trouble in Town and Arabesque is masterful. I’m in awe.

• Like 4

Been a long time since I posted here (maybe Viva era!?) but had to come in here and talk about Everyday Life. First off, the album has some amazing songs and I love how "weird" the entire album is in terms of feel/songwriting - basically the opposite of AHFOD if you ask me. Trouble in Town makes me emotional like Yellow and In My Place do, but in an angry way, and I haven't felt that emotional rush from a Coldplay song since Swallowed in the Sea (maybe Violet Hill).

The only issue I have with the album is that it seems like it was probably a whole bunch of b-sides that Chris wrote (and never really finished) and finally put together as one piece. Calling it "Everyday Life" gives them an explanation of why the album is so choppy. Tossing in random demos also adds to the choppiness and makes it "artistic". I think Orphans being the last song they wrote and recorded suggests that the bulk of these songs may have been hanging around for a while and they were waiting on Chris to write the big poppy album single before releasing the entire thing.

A few songs are "missing" (my opinion) a full 2nd verse: Trouble in Town, Guns, Everyday Life.

And some songs have a very strange format: Church (never returns to the chorus), Trouble in Town (could return to verse/chorus after interlude), Arabesque (same as TiT), Eko/Old Friends (short songs that don't necessarily follow standard song format).

So I wonder if these were conscious decisions made by the band to keep the album under a certain album length (since they've been concerned about this after XY) or if Chris ran out of lyrics. Either way, the short 2nd verses and odd formats bum me out a bit as someone who loves all these songs mentioned and I wish they would have "finished" (my opinion again) these songs rather than included random music interludes and demo songs to keep the album around the same length.

Even with that, though, this is my 4th favorite CP album behind AROBTTH, Viva, and Parachutes.

I have taken the liberty to make my own playlist with the songs and I've removed the interludes and songs that ruin the flow for me:

Church

Trouble in Town

Daddy

Arabesque

When I Need a Friend

Guns

Orphans

Eko

Cry, Cry, Cry

Old Friend

Champions of the World

Everyday Life

BrokEn (I like this one as more of a "secret" track at the end of the album)

This has a much better flow and it's just more enjoyable for me.

I'm so glad Coldplay is back and I really love the songwriting on this album (Coldplay meets Bon Iver). I hope they continue on this path for a while. I'm also super excited for the Jordan concert to learn how they arrange the songs to play live. I think the live version of some of these might be even better than the album versions!

• Like 7

Been a long time since I posted here (maybe Viva era!?) but had to come in here and talk about Everyday Life. First off, the album has some amazing songs and I love how "weird" the entire album is in terms of feel/songwriting - basically the opposite of AHFOD if you ask me. Trouble in Town makes me emotional like Yellow and In My Place do, but in an angry way, and I haven't felt that emotional rush from a Coldplay song since Swallowed in the Sea (maybe Violet Hill).

The only issue I have with the album is that it seems like it was probably a whole bunch of b-sides that Chris wrote (and never really finished) and finally put together as one piece. Calling it "Everyday Life" gives them an explanation of why the album is so choppy. Tossing in random demos also adds to the choppiness and makes it "artistic". I think Orphans being the last song they wrote and recorded suggests that the bulk of these songs may have been hanging around for a while and they were waiting on Chris to write the big poppy album single before releasing the entire thing.

A few songs are "missing" (my opinion) a full 2nd verse: Trouble in Town, Guns, Everyday Life.

And some songs have a very strange format: Church (never returns to the chorus), Trouble in Town (could return to verse/chorus after interlude), Arabesque (same as TiT), Eko/Old Friends (short songs that don't necessarily follow standard song format).

So I wonder if these were conscious decisions made by the band to keep the album under a certain album length (since they've been concerned about this after XY) or if Chris ran out of lyrics. Either way, the short 2nd verses and odd formats bum me out a bit as someone who loves all these songs mentioned and I wish they would have "finished" (my opinion again) these songs rather than included random music interludes and demo songs to keep the album around the same length.

Even with that, though, this is my 4th favorite CP album behind AROBTTH, Viva, and Parachutes.

I have taken the liberty to make my own playlist with the songs and I've removed the interludes and songs that ruin the flow for me:

Church

Trouble in Town

Daddy

Arabesque

When I Need a Friend

Guns

Orphans

Eko

Cry, Cry, Cry

Old Friend

Champions of the World

Everyday Life

BrokEn (I like this one as more of a "secret" track at the end of the album)

This has a much better flow and it's just more enjoyable for me.

I'm so glad Coldplay is back and I really love the songwriting on this album (Coldplay meets Bon Iver). I hope they continue on this path for a while. I'm also super excited for the Jordan concert to learn how they arrange the songs to play live. I think the live version of some of these might be even better than the album versions!

True, also felt some Bon Iver inspiration here and there. His last albums is unbelievably good too.

Too early for me to rank the albums, especially since EL really isn't a proper album in the context of the first 7 LP's. But I love it. Like really love it and I think tracks that I'm only so so about right now (Church, Everyday Life) will grow on me.

What i'm really excited about is seeing how music media reacts. Because to me, this album is a big deal and the most exciting thing we've got since 2008. But then again, Billie Eilish released a great track today, the 1975 is crushing it. Thom Yorke is still releasing great music. Adele storm is coming.

I wonder if critics and other big publications are going to pick up on Everyday Life and praise its addressing of social/political issues and for having unique, but traditional sounds.

• Like 3

I've got to say the thing that surprises me most about this album is that it's so un-Coldplay for most of it.

It's just pushing boundaries, passing every musical boundary too, with so many genres in one album.

If you can say anything about this album is there is just so much variety and in that respect, there's something for everyone.

A couple of songs stand out for me at the moment, Daddy (which I cannot listen to too much because it brings back all pain from my dad's passing), Champion of the World (which gives me exactly the opposite feeling, like I'm on top of the world) and Orphans for its catchiness. Others are growing on me though, even the shorter songs, it's like they're part of a story here.

I wouldn't go as far as to claiming this my Coldplay's fav album but it could be new 3rd best (after VLVODAAHF and AROBTTH).

• Like 4
  • Wow 3

Damn, this album is growing on me so fast. Even in the tracks I thought "meh" are beginning I begin seeing beauty (with the exception of WOTW/POTP, BrokEn and Cry Cry Cry, these I'd still rather skip). Even though the album lacks flow and cohesiveness it's a fucking masterpiece !

Seriously, Church, Eko and Old Friends have grown so much on me. Even When I Need A Friend has.

• Like 5

I've listened to the album quite a lot of times. :rolleyes:

Songs that I didn't like that much at first (BrokEn/Eko) have grown on me.

Now, I can say that EL surpassed X&Y in my ranking!

1. VLVODAAHF

2. AROBTTH

3. Parachutes

4. EL

5. X&Y

6. MX

7. GS

8.AHFOD

• Like 4

So now we’ve all heard the album I still have a few unanswered questions.

What relation does the old-timey cover art, references to 1919 come from? There’s no music like that on the album really

Why were the thumbnails of those songs turned black and white, what relation do they have to the album?

Why was it put into two halves? To me you could interchange any of the songs on either sunrise/sunset and it wouldn’t really drastically change anything.

• Like 7