✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Music of the Spheres Vol.2 Rumor Thread

Magic123

3 hours ago, TealAppeal said:

For some reason... I have fallen under this spell or notion that this will be Coldplay's last major tour.

Same... I don't know why, I just feel it.

3 hours ago, TealAppeal said:

I also hope they continue the space theme for volume 2, it would be fun to make studdle reference to the "Talk" music video, nod to the robot on the moon.

Actually as in their albums there is a multitude of references to the space, they could try to tie things to built a sort of narrative; but I think that whatever they will do, things have already been planned for the following volumes at this point

IMO I don't think this is their last big tour - for one, we have three albums left, and Chris said he'd love to tour and play concerts until they're around 60-70, just like the Stones or U2.

Plus this opens up the opportunity for anniversary tours - Parachutes 30th anniversary, AROBTTH anniversary, and if they do like how U2 played their Joshua Tree Tour a couple of years ago they could play every song from the album (I attended their Manila concert).

• Like 1

Okay, I have some things to say. Regarding the Vol. II, I think Coloratura is the key; since Coloratura is a planetary nebula – which leads to another new planetary systems – allied to the last piano chords of the song, I think they have a free pass to leave The Spheres and dive in to another set of new planets. It would be amazing indeed – as someone already pointed out – if they referenced their old works in the new music such as, the planet and robot from the "Talk" music video, and Silencia from the concept of Mylo Xyloto. The Silencers were already mentioned on the "My Universe" video, and there's more to come from that story, according to Phil, but how cool would it be if we could explore the planet or the system it is part of?

Regarding the music, they have SO much potential to be bold and really explore new things, but they probably won't and will play safe again. The problem with MOTS is that is really short, even though it has a 10 minute song on it. You end up in a pole between many super short songs or a single super long song, which leaves a gap of a few standard songs to be heard and makes us either overplay them or simply get bored with them easily after a few spins/streams. I mean, I don't mind about the interludes or short songs, I love them and I think the band are really trying new things with them, but if you're going on that way, at least give us more standard music since the interludes are that short, you know?

Vol. II is probably almost done, actually. Victoria Canal was already seen recording with Chris, Jacob Collier and The Love Choir, so I assume she's part of that project. And assuming it is thematically cohesive with Vol. I, I can't see the band going in a different direction, especially when Chris has already stated they will continue working with Max Martin. And, boy, there is soooo many genres that fit the space idea they could explore that they haven't done yet: Neo-psychedelia, post-punk, shoegaze, more and full ambient and space music... We got a taste of prog rock Coldplay, give us more of that... Make it more accessible for general audience that isn't found of long songs, perhaps? I mean, just really try. I don't know how things work on studio for them, but I think they should really listen to Phil more often; he's the only one between them who really knows what die-hard Coldplayers want them to do or explore. But Chris will probably going to address everything to and exclusively to please the masses and not their real fans who are with them from a really long time anyway.

Well, that's it. Sorry for the bible, btw.

Edited by dxm3557
  • Like 5
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 2

This is a fun mystery, but I'm not feeling like they're going to change the formula much on Vol. 2. However, it will be interesting to see how the many negative critical reviews will effect anything. Probably not, but you have to imagine the label is like "hey guys, press isn't great on this." 

Here's a brainstorm of possibilities for Volumes 2 and 3

Spoiler
  • Both are the same style -- a few rock songs, big pop singles featuring other top-charting artists like J Balvin, Ed Sheeran, SZA, Bad Bunny. Interludes with new planets and languages -- basically until the spheres are just one solar system. 
  • Each volume will have very different styles and new galaxies. Vol. 2 could be a lower-key release -- something under the radar and not advertised much. Spacey rock, progressive rock, shoegaze, more instrumentation. Then Vol. 3 could be a turn back into pop with another tour, big collab singles etc.
  • Vol. 2 & Vol 3 are reworks/live versions. Vol. 2 could be remixes of MOTS Vol. 1 or alternative versions of those songs. Vol. 3 could be a re-release of other Coldplay songs -- maybe UATW Part 2, Life is Beautiful, some re-recorded X&Y songs. 
  • We never get other volumes, volume 1 is just a title thing. Coldplay ghost us and do something else entirely in 2024. 

Personally, I think it will be two full albums coming in the next 1-2 years that follow the same template. There will be huge singles with modern pop production featuring big artists. But, there will still be surprises -- more Viva/MX demos, maybe more harder rock songs, the occasionally stadium rock song like Humankind, sappy love songs. This will be the one Coldplay era with the most songs & most diversity in music, but it will overall get poor reviews and mixed reactions from fans.

• Like 5

My impression is that they truly don't care about the reviews they're getting at this point. I read some AHFOD reviews the other day for comparison and they were very mixed too, yet here we are with MOTS! ?  

With MOTS the focus is on trying to replicate the commercial success that AHFOD undoubtedly achieved. And so far, it seems to be working, MOTS has been selling better than EL did, although not massively so, especially if we take into account the scope of their marketing campaign. It's actually much closer to EL's than AHFOD's sales figures for now (for UK and US at least). 

So therefore I wonder how many BTS/Selena fans actually ended up buying the album? comparing some of the streaming figures on Youtube/Spotify it looks to me like they didn't really care too much about the album tracks? And despite the chart success of MU I'm not seeing it really taking off in the mainstream yet. I feel like Hymn for the Weekend or SJLT were way more popular with the general public, at least in my country. 

If Coldplay still want to focus on relevancy and continue to do these collabs then I kind of wish they released those separately from their future albums. That way, on the album itself they could experiment a bit more and maybe it would be better received amongst fans and critics too. 

I hope that for their next album they'll work with a different producer. I respect Max a lot, but I feel like this wasn't a very fruitful collaboration. In a way it feels like Max and Chris brought out the worst in each other.

To be honest, I haven't really warmed to MOTS a lot (except Coloratura), so the prospect of another album/era along the same lines doesn't excite me much. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TealAppeal said:

This might be a far off idea. I counted the rings in this image here and they remind me of grooves on an album.

So then I thought, what if volume 2 has 8 tracks and so does volume 3? 

edit_vol1 From Earth With Love.jpg

Is there a digital booklet of the album? Where did this come from?

So Chris Said they'll release three more albums. So two more are related to the spheres? The last one will be called "Coldplay" according to Chris. Still I think they're working with old demos and reworking songs, for example Us against the World. How do you think that fits the three more album theory? Cause I do think they would like their last album to be a new concept and not a compilation? Or what do you guys think? Are we in for a treat as well? Maybe their last LP will come along with a bonus disc?Just some thoughts.

• Like 1

I've been thinking a lot about the release schedule for these last three LPs (makes me sad to write) and corresponding  tours. Let me know what you guys think

2022 - Vol. 1 tour 

Late 2023 - Vol. 2 release (no tour) 

Late 2024 - Vol. 3 release 

Mid 2025/2026 - Music of the Spheres tour featuring songs from Vol. 1,2, and 3 to wrap up the project

Late 2029 - Coldplay self titled album release 

2030/2032 - Probably will be the biggest tour they'll ever do. 

2035 and beyond - Possibly a couple of EPs released. Album anniversary tours similar to what U2 did in 2017 with Joshua Tree.

• Like 1

My guess is that

Vol.2 2022, maybe 2023

No Vol.3 (only 3 parts and 2 volumes)

A "smaller" album kind of like EL or maybe a musical? Since Chris mentioned Weirdo...

FFTF2024/Coldplay is their last album? 

This schedule is very tight though, so I kinda doubt that they are going to release 3 albums in 3 years. 

I'm certain they will release most of their old stuff at some point but the question is. Is it indeed for their last proper album or will they just release it as a separate thing for everyone who wants to listen to it, but no major promotion?

• Like 2

I love reading these opinions!

Anyway, I don't have any idea about what they have planned to actually do, so I'll write what could make sense on the basis of the few details we have?

I think there are 2 options, depending on how we consider the album with unreleased songs. 

My guess for the first option (which considers the album with unreleased songs as one of the three remaining albums) is

2022: tour

2023: tour + 2nd vol. of MOTS

2024: pause from the tour. We may get at this point the 2024FFTF thing, whatever it will be (my guess is that we will get the famous compilation of unreleased/reworked songs). Almost zero promo compared to MOTS, but I feel it will be something of very good quality

Late 2025/2026: final vol. of MOTS with big promotion+ final part of the tour. 

My guess for the second option (which considers three albums + a separate album of unreleased songs) is basically the same as option one, but with the addition of a final experimental and completely new album as a closure of everything they will have done at that point. We may get this final album late in this decade. 

• Like 2

Very interesting. I could see this being mostly true but definitely things can always change. We're at a cool moment where we actually know the title of the next two albums (not specifically, but we know there will be Volumes and general themes!) Here's my guess: 

• Oct. 15, 2021 -- MOTS Vol. 1
  • March - Aug 2022 -- MOTS World Tour Leg 1
  • April 2022 -- MOT Vol. 2 released, a quieter more alternative volume. Songs not necessarily played live.
  • December 2022 -- MOTS Vol. 3 released, a bigger album, lots of collabs and singles
  • 2023 -- Second leg of the MOTS tour worldwide. Era ends.
  • 2024 -- Coldplay drops self-titled album and announces hiatus. 
Edited by lennyrott1
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, lennyrott1 said:

Very interesting. I could see this being mostly true but definitely things can always change. We're at a cool moment where we actually know the title of the next two albums (not specifically, but we know there will be Volumes and general themes!) Here's my guess: 

• Oct. 15, 2021 -- MOTS Vol. 1
  • March - Aug 2022 -- MOTS World Tour Leg 1
  • April 2022 -- MOT Vol. 2 released, a quieter more alternative volume. Songs not necessarily played live.
  • December 2022 -- MOTS Vol. 3 released, a bigger album, lots of collabs and singles
  • 2023 -- Second leg of the MOTS tour worldwide. Era ends.
  • 2024 -- Coldplay drops self-titled album and announces hiatus. 

this plan makes sense to me too

I guess that, if they have planned all the next albums it's because they have already written most part of them. I expect we will have more unreleased tracks from previous eras (I cross my fingers for Bloodless Revolution on Vol.2)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
46 minutes ago, only.your.imagination said:

I'll try a random guess. My dad was watching "Back to the future" yesterday and this though came to me... 

"Back to the future" initials: BTTF. We have had a FFTF. I couldn't avoid finding the connection. Also because if I'm not wrong Chris mentioned the film in a recent interview.

Any ideas?

Well, BTTF and FFTF are indeed similar acronyms. Also the common element is a car in this case. It's difficult to guess the exact meaning of FFTF - there is quite many possibilities. What exactly was your guess? 😁

Mostly fans seem to agree it's a hint about some release in 2024. I think it's not related to MOTS actually. Also 2024 is quite far away, so I would think we have some other releases to speculate about before that...

If I really have to guess, then I would say it's "Finished for the Fans", coming out it 2024 and consisting of unreleased/reworked music, like you actually guessed in your post in October. 😉

On 10/26/2021 at 10:41 PM, only.your.imagination said:

(my guess is that we will get the famous compilation of unreleased/reworked songs

• Like 2