✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

I listened to it once and thought it was great. I already forget what it sounded like, but I remember loving the piano. That will be the only time I listen to it before the album though. At this point I have only heard the studio versions of AOAL and Everglow, and the live version of Amazing Day. That leaves 10 songs left that will be completely new to me. Now I just have to make it one more week!

Did the same!! Cant wait for the album!!

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's as Indian as Princess of China is Chinese.

Btw PoC would have made a very good Chinese pop song. The lyrics are way too blatant/ direct in English but would totally make sense in Mandarin :)

As for Everglow... I still can't download it from my pre-purchased album in Australia... It's almost 2pm now lol... C'mon, Apple Australia, you guys make enough tax-free $$$ from us already as it is... Better service please!

The track shows up in the store as if it is available, but where it should allow me to download it or purchase it (I pre-ordered the album), it just has a dull/faded "Pre-Ordered" message, as if I had pressed it to download it but it got stuck. Talk about frustrating!

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

The track shows up in the store as if it is available, but where it should allow me to download it or purchase it (I pre-ordered the album), it just has a dull/faded "Pre-Ordered" message, as if I had pressed it to download it but it got stuck. Talk about frustrating!

Same here. It'll probably become available soon.

Alright im finally back. Haven't commented on this forum in a while.

Here's my opinion on all the songs I've heard so far (studio clips):

A Head Full Of Dreams: Very nice in the clip so far. Not the best in the album but still very good. It's sad that they used electronic drums for that one part, although that's not the biggest deal as Will's awesome real drums come into play after. I also really like the bassline, it seems to appear that Guy is doing more on this album than previous ones. The complementing drumbeat is perfect, and the guitar that comes in after is a great way to introduce the next thing that comes. It all just fits together so well and they certainly did a great job. From a production standpoint, at first I didn;t really like the production but now I'm definetely warming up to it, as the last second of that clip, everything actually really flows together perfectly. Of couse the live version is better, but hey, most songs are like that. (MOST songs. Not all, as you'll hear me say in one of the other songs that was played live but we heard the clip of the studio version. :D)

Birds: Ummm what? This one is certainly very interesting... it's very experimental, that's for sure. This isn't your everyday song. It actually has one of the fastest tempo's of Coldplay's music which is interesting since I thought Birds would be a slower, and perhaps even an acoustic track lasting around just over 2 minutes, or even less than. I still get the feel that this is going to be a shorter track, around 3 minutes. I'm liking that they're trying new things and going into the electronic realm a little, I can definetely hear those influences in there. Yes, there's electronic drums, but due to the electronic vibe of the song it's actually a situation where electronic drums actually do fit more, so I applaud them for making an atmosphere where it dioes sound good. I like Chris Martin's low vocals, really good for the song. The drumbeat isn't your everyday thing either, they're really pushing the experimental thought into this track for sure. I also hear the slight high notes in the background as well, I really appreciate them putting those in. It's the little things like that that seperate a track from good to great. It adds an extra dimension to the song that wouldn't be there if they didn't have that in there, and I really like it. You have this low feel to it, but at the same time the high notes kind of evens it out a bit, you know? It's hard to explain. My first thoughts were that it didn't sound the best, but I've certainly warmed up to it, since it's really nice to see Coldplay trying all sorts of new things. That electronic little melody going on there isn't something you hear every day. and I like that, although Coldplay can do better. They really made that noise fit in with the song though, and they made it right, and in another case that same sound they used wouldn't sound as nice. But it does with this track. The production is pretty fair, it kind of makes everything flow together nicely and smoothly. It does feel just a taddddd over produced though. Just a tad. It could be a little bit better, but I see this being a very enjoyable track in the future, as I do see me warming up to it. It's just so interesting how Coldplay, no matter what noises they make, still have that signature beauty to them. In all, it's a nice, smoothly flowing track with an interesting catchy drumbeat and very thorough. (There's a lot of layers in there, and they're not overly compressed either. You can pick them out and they all have this feeling where everything snaps into place perfectly, and they all have the flavor in them). Again, very nice track, very catchy, electronically influences and done right. Flows smoothly, well done so far Coldplay.

Hymn for the Weekend: I can tell already @The Adversary is going to DESPISE this track. :laugh3:

Now, before I go ahead myself and say "OH WHAT A TRASHY POP SONG, SO TYPICAL RADIO POP, BLAND BEAT, IT SUXXXX", I'm going to take closer looks at this because I've heard it a few times and I can tell I'm warming up to it.

Now, I'm not going to deny, this sounds like a pop hit. I can tell this will be the worst song of the album. It doesn't sound very good really, and it's just so poppy, too much for my taste. But hey, what'd you expect with a track titled "Hymn For The Weekend"? :P

But anyway's, let's try to look at this from a logical point of view. Hey! There's trumpets in there. Have Coldplay ever used them very much before? Nope. Again, even though it's a pop track, I really like how they used trumpets, because you really don't see that from Coldplay very much. Electronic drums, poor drumbeat, expected. But after listening to it again, it actually seems like one of the rare poppy songs out there that are actually experimental in a way. There's not a lot bland about this at first. (It is WAY too poppy though for my personal taste... ughhhhhh) But it is really talentful and experimental, I've got to admit. Even though I know I won't like it, I'll give it it's credit because I know that it's actually sort of creative. Even though it's trashy kind of pop, Coldplay's talent will NEVER go away no matter how poppy they go.Also, that's just the bridge. The whole other part of the song might actually not be too bad, but I can tell almost every single on is very experimental at this point.

Everglow: This song just got premiered today! So I can give my opinion on the whole thing! :D

At first, this seems like the big brother of Up In Flames. Up In Flames is a pretty beautiful song when listening to it casually and if you only do it once in a while. But if you listen to it even once every day, it gets a bit tiring. If you look closer, the drumbeat is absolute shit (keeps repeating throughout the song, the most variation you hear from it is that it stops than starts again. It's freaking boring to be honest, also it isn't a very good sound either (but it's an experimental one, you don't hear that drumbeat much)). The piano is beautiful, but definetely cheesy. In Oldplay they could make it beautiful, yet not cheesy. However, the production is just rich enough in that song as it goes into the bridge. It gets much better as it goes on, but you can still reproduce it in garageband in your iPad easily. It's that simple, really there isn't a spot for Coldplay to make a song that simple. I like simpler songs a lot, that's one of the songs that give you a breather through MX through all the stadium tracks and the continuous wall of sound... to be honest i LOVE the production in MX but sometimes you really can't see through it all, it's really much. As a whole, UiF is best for listening casually and spatially, and it's a simple yet beautiful song if you're casually listening to it, but once you start really analyzing the song even just a bit the flaws are glaring.

Now all of that, was about UiF. My apologies, I didn't mean to do that. :laugh3: On to Everglow... I feel like this song is definetely what UiF could have been. It has a beautiful yet not really overly cheesy piano, and the melody is very soothing and nice. It's a beautiful piano ballad. The drumbeat, while electronic, is very suiting for this type of song. I think that real drums could have done the job better but again this is one of the times where they made electronics work. Later in the song though I feel like I hear real drums... Again the drumbeat and the piano seem like an advanced version of Up in Flames. The melody is a bit more complex and beautiful, the song flows much better, it isn't so cheesy, the drumbeat while electronic just works and is interesting and soothing and goes to the piano, fits really nicely... I really just call this Up in Flames done right. Nothing more needs to be said. It definetely has an Up in Flames vibe to it, but it just fixes most things that were wrong with that other song in the first place. It's simply beautiful all around, and I really like it. By the way, this is from just my second listen. MY first thoughts have changed, at first I thought it was a bit boring in a way, but like all things Coldplay (except Major Minus) it just keeps getting better as you listen to it more times. It's just a little beautiful "breather" (just like the breathers in MX to take a break from the wall of sound, that's what I'm expecting more or less in thus album too). It's the perfect spot for a breather and I don't really find it bland at all.. it's a nice little beautiful song that just keeps going and going, I love it! Great job Coldplay... (yes this review has been getting more positive as it went on, you can literally read this and show this to people as proof of the fact that the more you think of a Coldplay song, the nicer it gets :lol:)

OH WAIT! I almost forgot something... THE GUITAR SOLO!!! OF ALL THINGS I FORGOT!

It's really a nice guitar solo that fits with the song, yet again. I like how Coldplay made this a more experimental ballad then usual and actually managed to fit a nice guitar solo in there as well. Great work by Jonny.

I also forgot to mention the production. Unfortunately, it's not what I'd hoped. Now, it is Stargate, so I really don't expect Oldplay production, but this certainly has new production features. It's just a bit too clean, that's what I find wrong with this. If the production was less perfect, I feel this would be even MORE BEAUTIFUL! :D As beautiful as it already is. But I feel that the production kind of messes the song up in a way. It doesn't completely ruin it or spoil it, but this is an Oldplay track (bar the electronic drum beat) turned into a Newplay track by clean production. I really wish they did the production better, because if they did, they'd have nailed it. Even Up In Flames had great production with... just enough calm Mylo (colorful) production, but at the same time, messier production of Coldplay's older days. Production was GREAT on that song... unfortunately on this song, not so much. Maybe Stargate was a bad idea... :( But whatever.

Adventure of a Lifetime:Great guitar in the beginning. Those drums are actually really cool and experimental, again, as you're seeing with my reviews I'm thinking about the experimental side of things, that's because this truly is an experimental album. I LOVE the vast variety of different sounds and genres so far in this album. I don't feel like saying much in Adventure of a Lifetime. Pretty good production for a song like this, I mean the teaser promised this song would kind of blow up into something explosive but never did, I feel like they made us feel like that'd happen but showed just enough of that to get us going :lol:. But that's their style. I was disappointed at first because it wasn't as explosive as I'd thought it'd be but it's still a very great song all around. Certainly not their best work by any means and there are better songs they've made but this is one of those songs that you have to give some time. If you are disappointed at first, give it time. Even though I did like it from the beginning, it's certainly grown on me. I find it interesting that Alt Nation played this last time (YAY I FINALLY HEAR A COLDPLAY SONG AND A NEW ONE AT THAT ON THE RADIO :DDDD) (I got so excited when it came on, it was like I turned the radio to Alt Nation, heard the last 2 minutes of Lightning Strike (If you want Oldplay + Newplay into one, search it up, it's a freaking amazing track, if no one told a casual fan of Coldplay I bet you they'd automatically assume it was from Coldplay and believe you if you told them that) but then after the next 2 songs Coldplay came on :D) because I find that even though this does have alt rock in it (JONNY GUITAR RIFF :D:D:D) it's mainly a disco rock/pop track which I honestly don't mind at all because I LOVE them trying new things. Have been hoping for an album as brave and experimental as Viva and well here it is. I'm surprised it's not playing on the pop radio more. Again, all around, great, flowing track. One thing I do want to say though, is about that little effect where it goes all quiel then gets louder and louder. For any of you complaining that's a sign of Coldplay going completely pop, look closer. All that is is experimentation. Yes, it's used in pop music a lot, but they really just wanted to try some effects on the song and see how it turned out. They weren't going to smother the song in that effect because they just don't know what else to do because they're untalented so they smother the song in that in an attempt to make it sound good but ends up sounding like a dying goose, but they just wanted to try that a few times through the song and see how it turned out. It's not them turning pop; it's yet another sign of their very, very experimental mindset that seemed to have exploded in the past year. Again, all in all, a great disco rock track. On to the next one, one of my (very surprisingly) personal favorites (I mean, it has Tove Lo, I'd expect a poppier track, thank god they're giving us something meaningful. To be fair Tove Lo is one of the better pop artists on the scene right now):

I'm very excited to talk about this one. I can tell already this is one of my favorites on the album already, for a pop artist (albeit a better one) to be involved in that is truly a Miracle (:D). Now I can't say much about anything, except the claim that this is the most moving track on the album is so correct. The guitar is SOOOO BEAUTIFULLLL...... I'm getting the impression that once I hear the full thing I will cry. HEY! I really know, one of the people said way back that this could be a curveball and be the darkest track on the album. So far it's seeming that way, that's the saddest of the tracks so far. I freaking LOVE it. The production? AMAZING. NAILED it. I LOVE it so far... they made that guitar stand out (unlike a lot of the other tracks where it's smothered over by the other tracks :() but at least in this track where it's one of the best guitar works they made it stand OUT and sound GREAT. It's so beautiful, I really don't know how anyone could like it. See? Tove Lo has the potential to be an AMAZING artist. She's a pop artist so don't expect it all to be Oldplay (even though that would be just crazy for a collab with a pop artist) but I am GETTING THE OLDPLAY VIBES from this. I LOVE it so far. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that, if Up&Up is overproduced, this'll be my favorite track on my album. Literally. Kid you not. With a pop artist. (That being said, this definetely has Tove Lo inflences straight away, picking up on it..) But for the most part, it's an Oldplay track. With Tove Lo influences. Really, an f'en OLDPLAY BEAUTIFUL TRACK that so far only got ENHANCED by a POP artist. That makes NO sense WHATSOEVER but I'll TAKE IT.

Okay. Zzzzzz.... going back to not posting much on this forum. Writing reviews from each of these songs, just 6 songs was sooooo TIRING.... I'll post the other 6 (WAHHHHHHHHHH:() tommorow. Maybe I'll make them more concise, on second thought these reviews are massive and really I shouldn't be putting THAT much effort into them. It's been a busy week... and the fact that I'm still dedicated to making my thoughts as thorough as possible is crazy.

And due to that busy week. I'm sorry, but I don't think I'll be able to get to the Third ColdplayVision Song Contest elimination. That's still got to be done but I am beat! I am so sorry for the inconvinience. Please be notified that any votes afte Nov 25 on that thread doesn't count towards the elimination points, but do count towards the actual point count in all. Sorry for the inconvinience, but this is the end of it all so I think I might be able to post the eliminations tomorrow.. that is if no one has actually done a miracle for me and did the count themselves, which please people it's better off if you don't attempt that, because i know none of you have the live scores and have been keeping track since the beginning like me since there is 100 votes + on that thread... just please don't. That'd be too much work, and I have most of the votes but I will try tomorrow and see how it goes, no guarantess that I'll post the scores for the elimination but we will see. Again, so sorry, but it's been a long week it any of you are wondering where my usual active self has been. It's just been so hard to keep up since the influx of posts since the snippets got released. Thankfully it's over now so hopefully I can get back, but again for now this is probably my last post for tonight.

Just wanted to say that. Next 6 might get posted tomorrow, we'll see.

PS: You may notice I've been talking about experimentation a TON in my reviews. That's because really the amount of experimentation IS FREAKING REAL. In my eyes, there's even more than Viva, and that might even be a strech because that's saying something. But the point is, I LOVE the VAST variety of music in the album so far. Yet, they all manage to make it have their signature sound... seriously how can Coldplay pull that off? Trying soooo many new things, yet they never lose their signature sound. Like really? What kind of a freaking song creation process do you have to have in order to achieve that? They sound so diverse, yet cohesive. I've noticed throughout their clips that they haven't lost their signature Coldplay sound once (except Hymn For The Weekend MAYBE). it's simply crazy.

EDIT: LOL WHAT HAVE I WRITTEN UP ABOVE ME :lol: A book??? Holy... that's way to much! I sincerely apologize for the wall of reviews! To much info! As you can see my tiredness is REALLY getting to me. I kept typing... and typing... and typing... and typing.. UGHHHH what I've done to myself! I need some rest seriously. What's with me and my overexplanations. So sorry. :D

EDIT2: I haven't written just a book. I've increased to the level of a Wikipedia article. :lol:

FINALLY time to rest... it was worth it :D

One of my favorite things in Coldplay's more recent albums has been how the songs really flow well into one another, and I'm glad to see that attention to little details carrying over. That moment of silence (almost like a candle being blown out, like Christmas Lights?) helps make the somber ending of Everglow not completely abrupt when transitioning into the bright guitar riff of AOAL.

No matter where you stand on old Coldplay vs new Coldplay, the cohesiveness with which these songs all fit together is always really nice.

One of my favorite things in Coldplay's more recent albums has been how the songs really flow well into one another, and I'm glad to see that attention to little details carrying over. That moment of silence (almost like a candle being blown out, like Christmas Lights?) helps make the somber ending of Everglow not completely abrupt when transitioning into the bright guitar riff of AOAL.

No matter where you stand on old Coldplay vs new Coldplay, the cohesiveness with which these songs all fit together is always really nice.

Totally agree :)

If there's one thing I really do like about Ghost Stories and Mylo Xyloto, it is their cohesiveness. The transitions from True Love to Midnight and Oceans to ASFOS are very well done. UFO to Princess of China and DLIBYH to Up With the Birds are great too. I hope AHFOD has more of those kinds of moments where one song bleeds into the next...