✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

"Miracles" new original song by Coldplay for movie "Unbroken"

gai

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry if I killed the vibe in this forum. I sincerely am happy that people are liking this song. I just want to express, however, that this is potentially the first Coldplay song ever that I fervently dislike. For the next few days websites and magazines are going to be reviewing this track and I am predicting right now that our boys are going to receive some of their worst marks since X&Y.

You can love it all you want, but this track is also a Miracle for a Coldplay critic, and those guys, while usually too jaded, do have some points. I honestly think this band has few weaknesses, but this track exemplifies all of them: poor lyricism, EXTREMELY generic sounds, an attempt at way too many hooks, etc.

I am going to try to forget this song and disregard it. I am hoping with all of my Coldplay fandomship now, that AHFOD has only the few good qualities of this song and nothing else to do with it.

Really? The first one? I still thoroughly dislike Princess of China, Up in Flames, and Another's Arms. I think those songs just did not cut it for them, not at all. I guess we can respectfully disagree.

I think our boys have reached that point where quite frankly my dear, they really don't give a damn about what critics say anymore. You don't go off making Ghost Stories worrying about critics anymore haha. It could be considered both a good and bad thing.

I love that they brought back some crescendos, and piano/acoustic guitar. And actual drums! In the beginning I got a little wary with that basic electronic clap Will had going on and was like omg no please not anymore we had an entire album of this but when he started playing his organic drums again it felt nice; I still need more from him though. And Jonny's signature guitar sound.

I love the dark chord they jumped to at the 1:51-1:55 point, I wish they brought that back near the end again, that was definitely one of my favorite parts of this song, especially the verses.

You can tell this song was done for a soundtrack, I can totally imagine it incorporated in a movie scene. It felt very poppy at first but Im fond of the lyrics, you only really need 3-4 good lines for you to be content with the message and I think they hit that very well here. Along with that I think the crescendo sealed the deal at the end. The end part totally made me think this song would have fit well in some exploration scene or a movie like Into the Wild where the guy is so happy to discover so much about himself or the world.

I don't think this will be that indicative of what LP7 will bring our way in honesty. Atlas was great and I loved Jonny's guitar but we all know that the song sounded completely different from what we were given with Ghost Stories. If they continue having build ups and crescendos like that or better I'll be a very happy camper.

And also I really agree with what a few people before me have emphasized that I really want some songs with a heavier rock presence, its been far too long since we've had that. Major Minus was one of the only tracks that showed that off MX and before that we had a beautiful blend of that with Violet Hill/42/Yes/etc. on Viva. We need more umph, boys. Please bring it.

I love that they brought back some crescendos, and piano/acoustic guitar. And actual drums! In the beginning I got a little wary with that basic electronic clap Will had going on and was like omg no please not anymore we had an entire album of this but when he started playing his organic drums again it felt nice; I still need more from him though. And Jonny's signature guitar sound.

I love the dark chord they jumped to at the 1:51-1:55 point, I wish they brought that back near the end again, that was definitely one of my favorite parts of this song, especially the verses.

You can tell this song was done for a soundtrack, I can totally imagine it incorporated in a movie scene. It felt very poppy at first but Im fond of the lyrics, you only really need 3-4 good lines for you to be content with the message and I think they hit that very well here. Along with that I think the crescendo sealed the deal at the end. The end part totally made me think this song would have fit well in some exploration scene or a movie like Into the Wild where the guy is so happy to discover so much about himself or the world.

I don't think this will be that indicative of what LP7 will bring our way in honesty. Atlas was great and I loved Jonny's guitar but we all know that the song sounded completely different from what we were given with Ghost Stories. If they continue having build ups and crescendos like that or better I'll be a very happy camper.

And also I really agree with what a few people before me have emphasized that I really want some songs with a heavier rock presence, its been far too long since we've had that. Major Minus was one of the only tracks that showed that off MX and before that we had a beautiful blend of that with Violet Hill/42/Yes/etc. on Viva. We need more umph, boys. Please bring it.

I agree, Miracles has been their most guitar heavy song since Hurts Like Heaven. We need more rock songs from Coldplay.

For me Atlas pointed for more quiet and less bombastic songs, what later became true. Ans Atlas was even part of the album at one point, I remember seeing a tracklist somewhere with it as the the 3rd or 4th track I guess.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Atlas had similar energy to all of Ghost Stories, and it left amazingly underwhelmed. I can't plave what it is I dislike with Atlas, but it's average.

Miracles, however, is the opposite. I fucking love it. It almost seems like an entirely different band now. The snaps and drumbeat at the beginning are pretty average/unneeded, but everything else is just so fun to listen to. Jonny has some superb work from beginning to end, and it feels great to have "real drums" back.

I'm suddenly relieved for LP7.

Agree that Atlas isn't a cake walk musically. If Atlas is simple, what does that make Clocks, which is considered a Coldplay masterpiece? I think criticism of music and what makes it good or bad is silly. It really comes down to two things -- did you like the sound, and did you like the message? What does it matter if the chords aren't on the level of Chopin's most complex pieces, or that the lyrics aren't the most cunning a poet can write? Painstakingly analyzing music kills music completely. It's amazing how people take something so subjective and then try to apply objectivity to it. Let it go.

I absolutely love Miracles. My thoughts:

1. Jonny makes this song with that one riff after the first chorus and then his solo with Chris's ooh's. It's kind of reminiscent of the ooh + guitar solo combination in Paradise. The actual guitar line reminds me of the end of Ladder to the Sun's ending climax.

2. The way the bass comes in at the beginning kind of reminds me of the chorus of Sleeping Sun. Just a random thought. Why are people saying this is one of Guy's better basslines? I'm not hearing a lot of musical complexity. It is a nice low bass sound with a nice rhythm, but it's NOTHING like....say Magic, ETIAW, Major Minus, Paradise, X&Y, GPASUYF, Everything's Not Lost...just to name a few excellent Guy lines. *I will concede that it took me a few listens to realize how interesting the bassline in True Love is.

3. The chord progression in the chorus is pretty cool. I also feel like Coldplay hasn't done the I-IV-I thing much in the past so it's really refreshing and feel-goody in a way that not many of their other songs has. This is a song that makes me happy. :)

3b. The way the beat drops before the very end gets me every time. I can feel my stomach drop with how well timed it is. I think they really learned some tricks from Avicii with ASFOS (which has good builds too).

4. WILL CHAMPION. The beat in the first half is good and kind of GS-reminiscent...but the end is absolutely great. Reminds me of the end of ETIAW a lot...4-on-the-floor and so driving. His backing vocals are AMAZING. It's like UATW and Ink met and had a Will Champion lovechild.... [i fear I've said too much]

5. I'm a little skeptical about the instrumentation. I tend to like Coldplay songs that are more clearly 4-instruments, as in Atlas (which I somewhat like better as a song that really showcases Chris's piano, Will's drums, Jonny's BOTH atmospheric and solo-ing guitar, Guy's cool basslines)...whereas this has a very present piano-acoustic guitar thing. Which makes me wonder what it'd be like live. I hope Jonny switches between guitar and piano quickly like The Edge does in the song New Year's Day.

6. The vocal sample in the verse and how it shows up in fuller volume at the end is really cool! It sounds suspiciously like this, which I dig:

[video=youtube;fwK7ggA3-bU]

Agree that Atlas isn't a cake walk musically. If Atlas is simple, what does that make Clocks, which is considered a Coldplay masterpiece? I think criticism of music and what makes it good or bad is silly. It really comes down to two things -- did you like the sound, and did you like the message? What does it matter if the chords aren't on the level of Chopin's most complex pieces, or that the lyrics aren't the most cunning a poet can write? Painstakingly analyzing music kills music completely. It's amazing how people take something so subjective and then try to apply objectivity to it. Let it go.

Oh my god that is so perfectly said. I was meandering on exactly these thoughts.,.I just find it weird that people need to compare & over analyse songs...Miracles is completely unique which is what all music should be ...unique artistic expression....if it sounded like Atlas or Ghost Story or any other song then it wouldn't be a new song.?? Go figure.

1. Jonny makes this song with that one riff after the first chorus and then his solo with Chris's ooh's. It's kind of reminiscent of the ooh + guitar solo combination in Paradise. The actual guitar line reminds me of the end of Ladder to the Sun's ending climax.

4. WILL CHAMPION. The beat in the first half is good and kind of GS-reminiscent...but the end is absolutely great. Reminds me of the end of ETIAW a lot...4-on-the-floor and so driving. His backing vocals are AMAZING. It's like UATW and Ink met and had a Will Champion lovechild.... [i fear I've said too much]

5. I'm a little skeptical about the instrumentation. I tend to like Coldplay songs that are more clearly 4-instruments, as in Atlas (which I somewhat like better as a song that really showcases Chris's piano, Will's drums, Jonny's BOTH atmospheric and solo-ing guitar, Guy's cool basslines)...whereas this has a very present piano-acoustic guitar thing. Which makes me wonder what it'd be like live. I hope Jonny switches between guitar and piano quickly like The Edge does in the song New Year's Day.

I certainly don't think it's on the level of Christmas Lights, Moving to Mars or Atlas where it was criminal that they were left off albums. MTM is Top 5 Coldplay songs in my opinion. It'd say Miracles is certainly better than most of what's on Ghost Stories, excluding Midnight and O but probably not better than Ghost Stories, I think.

Not thrilled with the opening beat. I don't know why they can't just have Will playing drums. There were two things I most desired from this song. Shimmery, beautiful, melodic Jonny riffs and real drums by Will. I "will" say I like how they're not dead lazy with the beat like in Magic, there is some evolution to be found. My favorite parts are probably the first 20 seconds and the last minute and a half. I will be fair, I am encouraged to hear Will PLAYING in the second half of the song though. I can't wrap my head around why you would toss in throw away R&B rhythms when you have The Champion. I must be missing something. You can't let talent like that go to waste. When they did handclaps on Cemeteries of London it was so cultural and refreshing to the hapless, soundboard claps that dominate popular music today. The beats here aren't as bad as many but they still are so plastic and suggest to me to contribute little more than being more accessible in clubs. I'm just glad they didn't phase out the guitar to background like in ASFOS, that should have been a felony.

I'm perplexed by this idea that they, or at least Chris, has that their music has to be dance-y. As if that "soft rock" they used to play as Chris said was piss poor or something. I know they're always pushing new ground and what can I say? I thought Viva and MX were fantastic and GS was just no and I know many people greatly disliked MX and thought GS was a return to form. I think the fact that they take risks, whether we all love them or not, should be applauded because if they kept remaking ARBH that would get old very quick. I personally feel like The Fray is guilty of this lack of musical evolution but that's me.

I will concur its nice to hear Jonny riffs back at the fore. I was mainly a Chris fan for a long time but on MX I really feel like Jonny and Will came into their own and, in my eyes, were the most talented members of the band on that album (along with Chris's lyrics which, I will say, were pretty damn fantastic outside of PoC- on par with Viva's). If there's anything I am happy about I think the lyrics have definitely come up in quality. Maybe they're even dipping back into the back of beautiful abstraction. I don't miss the "Magic", "True Love" and "Another's Arms" days, that's for sure. I read someone say they're drawn by the "sometimes the stars choose to shine in puddles of dirt" and I definitely am as well.

I wonder how likely this is to be on the new album and truly revealing of the direction they are heading? Because with Atlas, the only other time they did a song specifically for a band, that sounded nothing like the album preceding (MX) or forthcoming (GS). This song is certainly uplifting so maybe it is on the new album. I feel like people could definitely dream about "Miracles" if in fact every song contains a dream, a la how each Ghost Stories song was a 'ghost story.' Just a theory. But the only thing scary about that those ghost stories was how subpar they were. But I digress.

how come this is not nominated for a golden globe? ohh well.. great song to fit the mood of the movie. i think we are forgetting that important fact. this song was specifically written for a movie thematically and musically. could be or could not be indicative of lp7. but, the main purpose of the song is to soundtrack a particular movie.

I certainly don't think it's on the level of Christmas Lights, Moving to Mars or Atlas .

Yeah, Coldplay is great in making melody's, they do this waaaaayyyy better then U2 for example. When you listen to Christmas Lights it's a much more beautifull melody then Miracles, but still, Miracles isnt a bad song.

2. The way the bass comes in at the beginning kind of reminds me of the chorus of Sleeping Sun. Just a random thought. Why are people saying this is one of Guy's better basslines? I'm not hearing a lot of musical complexity. It is a nice low bass sound with a nice rhythm, but it's NOTHING like....say Magic, ETIAW, Major Minus, Paradise, X&Y, GPASUYF, Everything's Not Lost...just to name a few excellent Guy lines. *I will concede that it took me a few listens to realize how interesting the bassline in True Love is.

3. The chord progression in the chorus is pretty cool. I also feel like Coldplay hasn't done the I-IV-I thing much in the past so it's really refreshing and feel-goody in a way that not many of their other songs has. This is a song that makes me happy. :)

3b. The way the beat drops before the very end gets me every time. I can feel my stomach drop with how well timed it is. I think they really learned some tricks from Avicii with ASFOS (which has good builds too).

6. The vocal sample in the verse and how it shows up in fuller volume at the end is really cool! It sounds suspiciously like this, which I dig:

I certainly don't think it's on the level of Christmas Lights, Moving to Mars or Atlas where it was criminal that they were left off albums. MTM is Top 5 Coldplay songs in my opinion. It'd say Miracles is certainly better than most of what's on Ghost Stories, excluding Midnight and O but probably not better than Ghost Stories, I think.

Not thrilled with the opening beat. I don't know why they can't just have Will playing drums. There were two things I most desired from this song. Shimmery, beautiful, melodic Jonny riffs and real drums by Will. I "will" say I like how they're not dead lazy with the beat like in Magic, there is some evolution to be found. My favorite parts are probably the first 20 seconds and the last minute and a half. I will be fair, I am encouraged to hear Will PLAYING in the second half of the song though. I can't wrap my head around why you would toss in throw away R&B rhythms when you have The Champion. I must be missing something. You can't let talent like that go to waste. When they did handclaps on Cemeteries of London it was so cultural and refreshing to the hapless, soundboard claps that dominate popular music today. The beats here aren't as bad as many but they still are so plastic and suggest to me to contribute little more than being more accessible in clubs. I'm just glad they didn't phase out the guitar to background like in ASFOS, that should have been a felony.

I'm perplexed by this idea that they, or at least Chris, has that their music has to be dance-y. As if that "soft rock" they used to play as Chris said was piss poor or something. I know they're always pushing new ground and what can I say? I thought Viva and MX were fantastic and GS was just no and I know many people greatly disliked MX and thought GS was a return to form. I think the fact that they take risks, whether we all love them or not, should be applauded because if they kept remaking ARBH that would get old very quick. I personally feel like The Fray is guilty of this lack of musical evolution but that's me.

I will concur its nice to hear Jonny riffs back at the fore. I was mainly a Chris fan for a long time but on MX I really feel like Jonny and Will came into their own and, in my eyes, were the most talented members of the band on that album (along with Chris's lyrics which, I will say, were pretty damn fantastic outside of PoC- on par with Viva's). If there's anything I am happy about I think the lyrics have definitely come up in quality. Maybe they're even dipping back into the back of beautiful abstraction. I don't miss the "Magic", "True Love" and "Another's Arms" days, that's for sure. I read someone say they're drawn by the "sometimes the stars choose to shine in puddles of dirt" and I definitely am as well.

I wonder how likely this is to be on the new album and truly revealing of the direction they are heading? Because with Atlas, the only other time they did a song specifically for a band, that sounded nothing like the album preceding (MX) or forthcoming (GS). This song is certainly uplifting so maybe it is on the new album. I feel like people could definitely dream about "Miracles" if in fact every song contains a dream, a la how each Ghost Stories song was a 'ghost story.' Just a theory. But the only thing scary about that those ghost stories was how subpar they were. But I digress.

These two comments match my thoughts exactly, Wills drumming, Jonnys Guitar, guys bass, chris lyrics and vocals, musical structure. It's all there for me

Thanks for allowing me to not write it all out! Hahahaha

Haven't logged in here for a while but felt the need to express my thoughts on this amazing new song:)

I absolutely loved what they did with this one. The piano/acoustic guitar intro isn't anything they've done before, then that massive drum beat reminds us of their (probable) new path (From MX to GS) but as soon as the real drums kick in that's when the song comes complete for me. The ooh--ooh's (which remind me of a Maroon 5 song here...) and yeah yeah yeah's have become the standard for Coldplay song's which to be honest always works well on their songs! (And you got to admit it's always been there, everything's not lost, in my place, the scientist, viva la vida and so on...). The bass line works very well too! In the middle, if you listen carefully you can hear this great background line which I think sounds like something they would have done during X&Y or VLVODAAHF. Jonny is present at all times, with a lot of different variations (not as repetitive as Magic or ASFOS). The end bit is the best part I think, the drums are absolutely amazing (maybe the best Will has done since GOW) and the whole part actually reminds me of an Imagine Dragons song, which, I think is a really good thing! The song gives you a feeling of happiness, euphoria and beauty, if this is going to be the way for AHFOD I will be very pleased! As long as their songs consist of piano-guitar-drums and bass (not a huge load of synths) and they can really reproduce this live! I think we're going to get a real treat for LP7!

I think its well known I'm fiercely in favor of the band returning to their older sounds but all I will say is this song is breathtaking. From 1:20 to 1:45 is about the most beautiful music the band has created. The song is absolutely flawless and for me better than anything on GS, apart from Ghost Story (which is their best song since AROBTTH).

Coldplay are just masters of creating beautiful songs and once again I'm weak at the knees with Miracles.

Just like VLV, I don't WANT the band to sound like this but I'm happy if its the direction they're choosing.