✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2015-11-21] TIDALXCOLDPLAY Presented by KROQ (Tonight 20:30 LA, 04:30 UK)

Guest diogo_sg
Wait a sec, I thought we were only getting two more new songs? We knew about AOAL and Amazing Day, but apparently there was gonna be AHFOD, Up&Up AND Everglow?

Which either points to the mysterious lyrics not being from Birds correct?

Oh no! They're gonna play the closing track live?! :bigcry:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not to mention chris staying still helps with the singing. i'll count myself incredibly lucky if i ever get a chance to go to a concert like this one.

btw, i don't know how anyone could have not cried at the beginning of imagine. it's done so poignantly and beautifully!

[video=youtube;jDaI39-hUPY]

TIDALXCOLDPLAY Presented by KROQ (POSTPONED)

I'm an emotional wuss these days and during Imagine and Sparks, I admit to wiping away a few years. If Will had sung lead on Til Kingdom Come like he used to, I would have been curled up in a ball in the floor. Lol I keep running though last night in my mind and I watched the periscope video. There was a little girl in the front row, way over on the left side, she was maybe 9-10? Chris was worried about her being in front of the speaker, so he asked her if she wanted to sit inside the barrier in the center. Jackie helped her over. Love his thoughtfulness. Gwyneth and the kids were in the friends and family section balcony and he kept looking up at them.

We had the chance to meet Phil in the lobby. What a sweet man. We said we'd always wanted to say hi but never had the chance. He shook my hand and said hi I'm Phil so I told him I'm Dianne. But my mind was thinking duh, I know who you are. I told him he's the only one I don't have a photo with but I know he's the most important one, so he laughed and said "I like you." Haha

The way Chris put his hand on Wills shoulder when Will was sitting at the piano... They were so comfortable up there and while the crowd was quieter than usual, it wasn't because they weren't huge fans, it was because of the mood of the show. Truly a special evening. And I'm so looking forward to next week for the rescheduled show.

I know there were a lot of people who traveled long distances, and I'm sad they probably won't be able to make it back - the couple who drove 10 hours from Utah, my friend Kelly (although she is scheming...) Ian (AtlasColdplay on Twitter) and his friend, and many others.

Tonight was a prime example that Chris hasn't actually "lost" any singing ability. It's just that jumping, running and dancing doesn't help.

Tonight was a truly special performance, and Chris' singing was the best I've ever heard from him. Sparks, the Birds snippet and Dreamer were highlights in particular. His voice sounded so powerful. Truly beautiful.

not to mention chris staying still helps with the singing. i'll count myself incredibly lucky if i ever get a chance to go to a concert like this one.

btw, i don't know how anyone could have not cried at the beginning of imagine. it's done so poignantly and beautifully!

[video=youtube;jDaI39-hUPY]

My heart just swelled immensely by their thoughtfullness, how they stood there silently and everything. Oh man this makes me very emotional all over again...

[video=youtube_share;pSz6lOqYPCs]http://youtu.be/pSz6lOqYPCs

This is my favourite performance they have ever done. I have been upset listening to their music before but it's strange I often don't sing it and get upset. I have found myself replaying this snippet over and over where Chris' voice is unlike I've ever heard him and when I sing along I just burst out in tears uncontrollably. So proud and honoured to call these guys my favourite band in the world.

I am so proud to be a Coldplay fan right now. What they did last night was absolutely the right thing to do. Chris's singing was amazing and that alleged Birds snippet was one of the best things i've ever heard. I haven't been able to stop thinking about what happened in Paris and this performance has kept me sane.

Last night was an emotional show for me for multiple reasons. It goes back to Tuesday, where after calling KROQ all day long on Monday, I had the great fortune of meeting Chris. When I said to him that I hoped to see him on Firday night, he said "I'll see what I can do about that". He then had an assistant take down my info and added me to the guest list. It was an incredibly nice gesture from a guy who has always been very nice with fans in the times I've met him over the years.

The show itself transported me back to February 13, 2001, the first time I saw Coldplay live. I saw them twice that night beginning with an acoustic performance at the Virgin Megastore, followed by the regular show at the Mayan Theater, which it turned out was right next door to the Belasco. It really transported me back in time 15 years. Once inside I mentioned to my friend that the first night that I saw Coldplay was next door. The person right in front of me then said it was the same for him, so it was cool to see someone else there who had followed them from the very beginning.

Those who attended or watched online know how special a performance it was under the circumstances and I'm so glad they went ahead with it. Having Imagine start the show was a nice surprise. I assumed Fix You would be played and also thought O would be the perfect closer, which it turned out to be.

It's great they're letting everyone return next Saturday. Unfortunately I will miss it as I'm flying to Dublin for U2's shows the following week. Those shows will be extra emotional now as well, as they were in Paris and were to have played tonight and tomorrow. I then spend a couple of days in London, but leave the day before Coldplay plays there.

On Tuesday I asked Chris if they would be playing the KROQ Acoustic Christmas, but he said it wasn't on his schedule. I still hold out hope that they will play it though.

I'm really sorry :(

Haha don't worry nobody I know was affected by the attacks, I'm not even French. I suppose that just the thought of how something could happen to absolutely anybody so easily, and that there are people in the world who want to hurt... It just didn't settle well with him.

That performance... I'm just speechless. You're all right about this being their best performance in years. He sang with so much emotion... and as you all say he tends to sing much better when he's just still. That was absolutely gorgeous... sooooo much better than most of their recent performance. I want to say more but I just don't know.

2001? Wow, that's a long time? I love "discovering" bands in the beginning, and following them as they grow up, so to speak. I still can't get over last night. I'm glad you were able to get tickets, too. And running into Chris? How lucky is that? I'm really looking forward to the rescheduled show on Saturday.

2001? Wow, that's a long time? I love "discovering" bands in the beginning, and following them as they grow up, so to speak. I still can't get over last night. I'm glad you were able to get tickets, too. And running into Chris? How lucky is that? I'm really looking forward to the rescheduled show on Saturday.

Hi Dianne. I saw you there last night and I think it was your daughter that took a photo of my setlist after the show. I'll introduce myself next time I see you at a show. With Coldplay, it's kind of strange as I was following them through reports in NME and Q back in 2000 and was aware of their success there before Parachutes was released in the US. It came out here in November 2000, 4 months after the UK release and I bought it then without ever hearing a single note by Coldplay, just based on the reports I had read. It seemed like a band I would like and was willing to take a chance on them. Little did I know they would become huge worldwide, as there are other UK acts I like such as Travis and Manic Street Preachers that have had much less success here. In 2001 I saw them those 2 times in February and then in June when they played the Wiltern. I waited outside after that show and met the whole band. Since then it's become real hard to meet Guy.

I started thinking about that show I saw at the Mayan and remembered them doing things like You Only Live Twice and What The World Needs Now, as well as In My Place a year and a half before it's release.

I'm curious on your thoughts on the song A Head Full of Dreams, as you heard it at Colbert. I was really looking forward to hearing new songs, as I've been fortunate to have seen them play songs from the last 5 albums prior to them being released and that streak will end unless I get into the iHeart Radio show.

I think this show may've changed Coldplay's outlook a little bit too. It's probably been some time since they've played an intimate set.

At least ..in such a public setting. I hear they play intimate shows for private parties, etc..

But Coldplay was built off the intimate/glowing nature of Chris and his subtle and raw beautiful melodies. It's a nice reminder.

Did anyone else notice Chris replaced the line "and no religion too" of Imagine with "a brotherhood of man", which is actually a line from the (not sung) third verse ? I think he did that because he is religious himself...but I would have preferred if he had stayed true to the original lyrics. And after all, religions are a main source of conflicts on earth, why not acknowledge it like John Lennon did ?

In general I liked the performance a lot, though !

Haha. Yes that was my daughter. I've been brainwashing her for years to like my music. As for seeing bands before they really make it big, I'm like that with Mumford and Sons and Imagine Dragons. I'd heard of M&S, and their style intrigued me, so I bought tickets before I'd really heard their music. With them, it's kind of come full circle - the first show I saw was at the Palladium, then bigger and bigger venues, like Hollywood Bowl, and then a couple of months ago, saw them at a private KROQ show at the Troubadour. ID is a similar story, heard of them and heard one song, and saw them at House of Blues Anaheim, and watched them grow and explode over the last couple of years. CP was already "established" before I really started paying attention to them. I'd always been more into classic rock, Springsteen, Bon Jovi, etc, but CP started growing on me and I bought tix on eBay to see them the first time in 2005. After that I was hooked and couldn't get enough. Still can't.

I heard most of MX before it was officially released because they did so much pre=promotion with the European festivals and US promos. I was at the GS tapings, too. I like getting a sneak peek.

As for AHFOD, like I said in the other thread, I'm so bad at remembering songs the first few times I hear them. And in the tv studio, the sound is always off a bit. They played the song twice and I had no idea what it was the first time, other than feeling the beat. It almost has a Charlie Brown type feel, where there are parts where everyone is just bouncing up and down in time with the music. I tried the second time to pay attention to the lyrics but it was so hard. It's definitely got an upbeat happy sound, but not disco-y like AOAL. Will works the drums a lot, Chris did not play piano, but that could have been due to the backing track so he could dance around while singing instead of sitting. James Corden pretended to play the piano. LOL I did like the song, and want to hear it again.

I'm hoping, too, that I get tickets to the iHeart show, but the stations haven't been giving away tickets like they usually do.

Read what you will into it, but now may not be the time to sing about the sins of religion... it may be true that many conflicts have been related to misinterpretation / carried out in the name of religion, but that is not what the world needs to hear at this moment - it will only make tensions / bad feelings worse. I think "a brotherhood of man" is a much better choice for this particular occasion... I think Chris may have been looking for a uniting sentiment, rather than a dividing one (as religion often can, particularly if a person is denouncing it).

Read what you will into it, but now may not be the time to sing about the sins of religion... it may be true that many conflicts have been related to misinterpretation / carried out in the name of religion, but that is not what the world needs to hear at this moment - it will only make tensions / bad feelings worse. I think "a brotherhood of man" is a much better choice for this particular occasion... I think Chris may have been looking for a uniting sentiment, rather than a dividing one (as religion often can, particularly if a person is denouncing it).

I admit that is also a reasonable way of looking at it :)