✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

stephen

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

This poll is closed to new votes

A report today from the somewhat unreliable "Daily Star" that Coldplay are set to release an experimental album by the end of November, followed by a more popular sounding album in 2020.

There is a really a lot of steam starting to build about Coldplay dropping music fairly imminently...

A single release would match up with the rumours of Coldplay having new material in the next 30 days (heard on SiriusXFM- about 17 days ago) & the possible surprise performance that Coldplay retweeted for the TIDAL concert. However I think it's entirely possible that the "rumoured" experimental LP could simply be Global Citizen EP2. We will see.

• Like 8

Would also match up with the band saying they'll be full of surprises. I mean, did anyone expect a double album?

But lets not get carried away... : )

Obviously we should take all this info with a huge grain of salt. But I have a question for you all.

Does this look like someone with no inside access?

https://www.instagram.com/cabootylicious/?hl=en

• Like 1

Inside access does not equate to truth. I'll liken it using an example from my other hobby which is (ice) hockey, There are many reporters and writers who spend a ton of time around players, coaches, agents, the team, the rink, etc. There are definitely reporters in hockey as well where they seem like the most connected people in the business but seem to never get anything right. They would tweet something out and just see what sticks.

Who knows if this will turn out to be true? Lets keep our eye on it, but not put all our faith into it. Cmon, we've seen this play out over 7 eras now where a rumour turns out to be a dud. Good news is, we dont have to wait long until we know for sure; November is not too far away afterall!

• Like 5

I remember being a young teenager obsessing over the release of Mylo, now I’m back here ready for the fellas to come back with some exciting new material!!

My thoughts of a double release goes back to the documentary, at the end they are discussing an extended edition or double album style! So maybe this has been in the works for years!! I also have a sneaky suspicion that the elusive Car Kids could be on the arty album, they registered the song post the documentary and was known to be a bit out there. Either way I am that ready for some new Coldplay, I really hope this arty album pushes them outside the box!

• Like 9

I remember being a young teenager obsessing over the release of Mylo, now I’m back here ready for the fellas to come back with some exciting new material!!

My thoughts of a double release goes back to the documentary, at the end they are discussing an extended edition or double album style! So maybe this has been in the works for years!! I also have a sneaky suspicion that the elusive Car Kids could be on the arty album, they registered the song post the documentary and was known to be a bit out there. Either way I am that ready for some new Coldplay, I really hope this arty album pushes them outside the box!

Where was Car Kids registered?

• Like 1

My thoughts went straight to that ending scene of the film. That wasn't just thrown in the film for nothing. That was definitely a nugget of information for the true fans.

I'm usually very wary of rumors like this, but we've had rumors from at least two different sources of radio stations indicating Coldplay would release music in the next month, and now this bit from the Daily Star (the writer seems to have an in with high profile musicians) , and the double album thing lining up with the end of the film... I think this is more than just a rumor. Plus the band are together in LA and have been recording since the end of last year...

• Like 4

It sounds pretty obvious, and I really don't want to lose hope... But maybe the rumours are based on what we already knew from the AHFOD extended feature (double album, normal album, or a deluxe album)

I think a double album is very possible but maybe in the style of viva x prospekt march? So two CD's in roughly the same style?

• Like 3

Even if a month is too soon and this is all just made up hype, I think we have extremely good signs we will have new music in the next year given the Global Live concert appearance announcement for next year (they typically do not play as a band unless in tour mode, they are very picky about their production) and Phil and Dave's interview where they said it wouldn't happen til 2020 or 2021. And aren't there rumors about Glasto next year given the anniversary? I cannot imagine Coldplay not being there.

So we are in for a treat at least in a year! So exciting!!! A wonderful time to be a Coldplayer.:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

• Like 6

• Administrators

In the latest Coldplaying article I spoke about Mat Whitecross saying that the hiatus would only last a year. He said that in November 2018 so there's another sign that points towards November as a possible release date!

• Like 10

Jumping on the hype train too while realizing this is a fun study in "fake news" haha. Basically there's evidence all pointing towards something but no actual citation or source to VERIFY a very substantial claim -- but we humans love to believe :) Daily Star is not trustworthy, but they've been right in the past too.

I'd love for them to do a double album, one experimental/instrumental and then one more standard. Foals is currently in a double-album era (though it's not their best work).

My only real concern is that I'm going to get my hopes up for some Viva-esque artsy album and then it'll just be Los Unidades Vol. 2. Or it will be experimental in the way Ghost Stories was...which wasn't at all. People tend to use the "experimental" term all of the time for music that's super mainstream. GIVE ME REAL EXPERIMENTAL! I want all of us to be speechless on the forums because it sounds so different.

EDIT: I also feel like this makes commercial sense, right? What better way is there to get Coldplay back on the map and to capture people's attention than with a big, weird, unexpected album out of nowhere. Then, to at least please the record label and a more general commercial audience, they can roll out new singles and a more standard "era" in 2020 and have a longer album rollout. In the streaming era, releasing more EP's and multiple albums makes more commercial sense and we can't lose sight of that here. It's as much as about $$ as it is Coldplay's artistic goals. Two albums achieves both.

• Like 8

We've had too many little hints these past few months after years of silence for it to not mean anything...

1. Guy acknowledging the IDEA of an LP8 on Instagram.

2. Davide Rossi's Instagram post mentioning "looking back at the past and looking forward to the future".

3. Announcement that Coldplay would return next year for GC Festival 2020.

4. NME posting in November 2018 that Coldplay may release something "in a years time" saying it would be "surprising".

5. DailyStar reporting that Coldplay are releasing an "experimental" album in November (sounds similar to NME's article). We don't see sites like these claiming new Coldplay albums are coming all that often. Last time I remember this kind of reporting to happen was prior to AHFOD's release.

6. Reddit users mentioning that the album will be released "sooner than anticipated".

7. Several radio stations saying that "something new is coming within the next 30 days" etc.

8. Chris has a new haircut. This is by far the most solid lead we have that a new album is imminent. (/s)

All these tidbits add up people!!

• Like 13

Hmmm I wanna let my emotions roll on and start getting hyped but I'm always weary until Coldplay officially says anything. Also remember when they tweeted playing the GC festival next year I misread and thought it was this year and almost cried in excitement, then realized it's next year lol.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Exciting time guys! I'm semi-sure now about the tidal thing. There is a very good chance they'll play a new song there. >50% I'll say. Lets hope its 'surprising' :p . Btw, when exactly is that show?

Do you mean that Rock the Vote thing? According to the tweet Coldplay retweeted, that takes place on October 21. If Coldplay are planning on following a similar marketing strategy to AHFOD (which went from teaser to full release within 5 weeks), October 18th would be a great date to drop a new song and then play it live at Rock the Vote, only for the album to be released towards the end of November.

• Like 4