✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

stephen

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

This poll is closed to new votes

[ATTACH type=full" alt="9221]9221[/ATTACH]

Guy got credited on a song, nothing to do with Coldplay I think but still interesting that he is in fact making music.

Great news! So all of them (with the exception of Chris) are making new music.

Great news! So all of them (with the exception of Chris) are making new music.

The most probable scenario is that they make music together. They usually upload their songs on ASCAP as soon as they are officially released (so it's normal there isn't sth new on ASCAP).

• Like 2

Responding to the rumors of new music coming soon + ramble...

I too am one of those people so desperate for any bit of news, so I'll just choose to believe this person while simultaneously not getting my hopes up.

Given the amazing timelines people have made, it seems a release could be imminent at any point, but I tend to agree if that if they're coming back strong with a new era then they'd want to tour it in festivals next year so I'm not expecting anything soon. From interviews with David Holmes and Mat Whitecross (albeit old ones) it sounds like 2020 makes more sense.

However, let's say they do release new material next month that's a mix of AHFOD and X&Y. Couldn't be more vague -- imagine a crossover of Hymn for the Weekend & Til Kingdom Come, for example. BUT - I could see them going back to a more guitar heavy, alt-rock sound with some big radio singles.

for example maintains the optimism and color of AHFOD but has a more "classic rock" backbone, if that finds its way on to LP8.

I wonder what others on the forum think: How does Coldplay fit in to pop music in LP8 if at all? With Billie Eilish, Ed Sheeran, Post Malone, and others dominating the pop scene with barely any guitars, is it possible for a pop rock song to even become a hit? I just feel like the band will always want to be in talks for "best pop songs of the year," but with AHFOD and GS it felt like they weren't really reading the modern pop audience. Even songs over the past few years that I though were fantastic pop-rock (

) never broke into the Top 40. Like I'm okay with Coldplay still doing pop music BUT I'd at least hope it maintains great instrumentation and truly catch songwriting. Thoughts?
  • Like 8

Its hard to answer that question without any clue as to what LP8 will sound like. But I think Coldplay are a big enough band where they almost get a free pass that way. Also, Chris for better or for worse seems to have a good grasp of the different genres of music available including the popular ones in this day in age, At the same time, I would not say their goal is to want to make good pop songs. They just make what they think sounds good (based on their influences and more modern influences), its up to others to judge what genre that is, and its hopefully the rest of us like it. One thing im not too concerned about with them is their instrumentation and songwriting. I think after 7 albums, we can bank on that. Its more the production and lyrics that need to continue to grow that would truly surprise fans new and old.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I would not be surprised to see the band doing a festival tour next summer. Some insiders on the efestivals forum lean towards this idea too, we'll see in the coming days/weeks.

Anyway that is the news we've all been waiting for!

• Like 5

Must manage our expectations as it could be after Sept 2020. I remember when they did a GC festival in 2015 and they released AHFOD after that. They played Amazing Day though at the festival and people were freaking out if it was a new song on the album or not.

So by the very least I’m expecting ONE new song by Sept 2020 from LP8.

• Like 8

We were more freaking out because some of us didn't like the song and some did.

Anyways, concrete news is good. Id say we'd likely have music before September 2020 as opposed to after, but September is the hard date which I can live with for now.

• Like 6

So Coldplay is announced to perform for Global Goal Live in 2020 together with many other bands.

A year ago they were announced to play at festivals in Ireland and Portugal this year, but that didn't happen.

So let's take this news with a pinch of salt. Next year there will be a huge Global Citizen event and the organizers are just enumerating the names of well-known bands that might participate. This doesn't mean all of them will actually participate.

Besides, who says Coldplay, if they perform, will play new music? They might play two or three of their greatest hits or it could be only Chris (the curator) will perform Yellow or A Sky full of Stars, as he did this year on some occasions

I am absolutely thrilled to hear new Coldplay music, but I have my doubts.

• Like 3

So Coldplay is announced to perform for Global Goal Live in 2020 together with many other bands.

A year ago they were announced to play at festivals in Ireland and Portugal this year, but that didn't happen.

So let's take this news with a pinch of salt. Next year there will be a huge Global Citizen event and the organizers are just enumerating the names of well-known bands that might participate. This doesn't mean all of them will actually participate.

Besides, who says Coldplay, if they perform, will play new music? They might play two or three of their greatest hits or it could be only Chris (the curator) will perform Yellow or A Sky full of Stars, as he did this year on some occasions

I am absolutely thrilled to hear new Coldplay music, but I have my doubts.

"Coldplay will perform", pretty clear to me. Usually when its only Chris they say 'Chris of the band Coldplay'. Plus, this isn't some random gossip site, this is Global Citizen's official twitter page. I will concede that theres a chance they might not play new material, but at this point, or by the time Sept 2020 rolls around, i'll take Chris performing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on the Kazoo.

• Like 8

Third way:

They don't release anything new neither before nor after the event (though of course I hope for new music)

In any case, this will be a huge event with hundreds of musicians participating all over the world. Probably no group will perform more than one or two songs. Coldplay might play 'Up and Up', because as Chris once said that's a sort of credo for the group. They might also perform 'Conscious Pilot' or the new song Guy has written.

It will be so great to see them together again. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it really will happen.

• Like 3