[8-Jul-2012] Coldplay @ Verizon Center, Washington, DC, USA

Texasluvsjonny

Jonny's personal fluffer
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
The Verizon puts the people in wheel chairs down on the front 3 rows of the floor! :awesome: Most venues put them at the back row of the lower level seating. They were having the time of their lives down there. Cheers to the Verizon. :clap:

nancyk58

Up&Up
Coldplayer
Two years ago Angie (Texasluvsjonny) was kind enough to take Ryan's MINI with her to Mexico to see Coldplay. During her trip, she was fortunate to meet Guy, Will, Jonny and Chris and have them take photos with Ryan's MINI. I can't put in to words how much that meant to me as I had always hoped to take my daughter Ryan to a Coldplay show when she got older. Tonight, with Angie buy my side, I was lucky enough to meet Chris myself and tell him how much their music meant to Ryan and I and that their music had helped to create many memories. 'Coldplay' was the forth or fifth word Ryan learned to speak. I shared with Chris that while they were playing Paradise and I looked out at all of the beautiful blinking colored lights, I thought to myself, if there was a heaven and Ryan is there, I hope it looked like that.

Chris was very giving of his time tonight and I had fun talking to him about the setlist and whether I would ever get to hear Shiver, Amsterdam or Low, but the highlight of course was talking to him about Ryan.

What a perfect night. Thank you for being there Angie!!!

My niece was there as well....I'm so glad to have shared this with her.

I am very pleased to hear that you managed to meet Chris and to share some memories of Ryan with him, Julie.

I still remember reading about Ryan and later Texaslovesjonny/Angie's moving story about how Ryan's little red Mini made it into the hands of the Coldplay members and staff.

And I am sure that RYAN was with you as you met Coldplay.

Tash

clueing for looks
Coldplayer
Coldplay performs the first of two shows at the Verizon Center in Washington, D.C. The band's 2011 album, “Mylo Xyloto,” reached No. 1 in 30 countries. In her review of the album for The Post, Allison Stewart wrote that “the new album is sometimes dull but is mostly just fine.” Dave McKenna responded differently to their performance this weekend, however, writing, “nobody who saw Coldplay on Sunday at the sold-out Verizon Center came away bored.”

link

Cheese Nip 2

Milkmen = Interesting
Coldplayer
Contains convert and setlist spoilers

This concert was awesome!  You never really know how beautiful Xylobands are until you see them in person.  As for the show, what can I say that hasn't already been said.  I'll start with Wolf Gang.  They were amazing.  Like, "I'm gonna go buy their album today" amazing.  A real kind of 80sish sound, right between U2 and Coldplay.  After their set they said we could meet them, so down we went.  Now I was way up in the 400s, so by the time I got there the line literally stretched 200, 300 people back.  We waited for a while but it was clear if we kept waiting we'd miss the beginning of Coldplay, that's how long the line was! (these guys are destined for greatness).  So while we were waiting Robyn had started playing and perhaps because of that the halls were very crowded.  Now I don't mean to offend and everyone was really nice, but there were a lotnwho couldn't sit through her whole set.  It's not her fault, it was just a different crowd.  Still everyone clapped when she was done and it was all very civil.  It was strange she covered Coldplay at a Coldplay show though.  I can't say I approve of that personally.  Now, I think 2 opening acts is a bit much, but soon we were all doing a wave, and the most successful one I've ever seen at that (it went at least 3 times around the whole stadium.  The crowd was ready!  And may I add the crowd was all over the place.  Mostly college age youths, but plenty of kids, adults, and old folk.  My mom's friend was even there!  Then the lights dropped back to the futures came on and you know what happens from there....

As MX begins all the Xylobands start to glow (I was a green xylobryte myself...).  Like I said above, you can not truly comprehend their beauty until you see them in person.  They're like 20,000 Christmas lights that glow from the heart of every person in attendance.  The lasers?  Awesome.  This was like Glastonbury inside.  It was so crazy, I've never seen anything like it.  But all that is just fun extras, the real thing we're here for is the music.  They played a lot of stuff I didn't think they would (though for you who've been keeping up with setlists, you may have expected these songs.  Chris added lots of references to DC like, "I took my love down to Capitol Hill".  It was awesome.  He was running around the whole time.  That man has insane amounts of energy.  The stage with the ramp is essentially a playground build for him so he can do his thing.  Jonny was on fire from the start, and all of them managed to rock it out while still balancing that with beautiful, quite moments.  When "A Warning Sign" began I literally tilted my head back and said (out loud may I add) "Yesssss....".  I was so glad they played it.  During Charlie Brown I really felt like I was a part of some bigger community. The whole place moved to Coldplay and I felt like the whole stadium was like a family. It sounds weird and cheesey but it's true. All those lights backhatch that killer tube... I also noticed the running man made a switch to Charlie Brown, and now he's coming in all shapes and sizes....

Another key moment?  The C stage.  Now I didn't know they were doing this this time around, and they came right under me.  We watched until people got in out way, and then went down to get a better look.  We watched for a while then a lady told us to leave, but it was worth it.  They were so close!  Then, much to my delight, they played Speed of Sound, a personal favorite of mine.  After this Chris ran into the crowd and they finished with an encore.  They all bow in unison and everything about them is class.  Live on video does not compare to live in person.  It was a magical experience, and I'm not joking.  Absolutely brilliant!  Still, I'm looking forward to see what #ColdplayFilm is....

AgainstTheWorld

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Still, I'm looking forward to see what #ColdplayFilm is.... [/spoiler]
I agree....I am super stocked for the Film to come out....it would be a great memory to be able to look back and see everything being put together from this tour.

Tash

clueing for looks
Coldplayer

Panorama: Verizon Center, Washington DC
9 July 2012 5:58 pm
Here's #42's pre-show photo from the first night in DC

Good evening. Here is Roadie #42's lastest pre-show panorama photo, this time from Washington DC (who score at least 8 out of 10 for their noticing/waving skills). Click the photo to see the hi-res version. And click here to upload your photos from the show (and see others').

Click here for more summer 2012 crowd panoramas.

Anchorman

AgainstTheWorld

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Fix You (it felt like such a slow, mellow intro,slower than usual, I think)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpz0O7beLig"]Fix You - YouTube[/ame]

Charlie Brown
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQSelOU17UY&feature=channel&list=UL"]Charlie Brown - YouTube[/ame]

Clocks
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2TGBkc74CQ&feature=channel&list=UL"]Clocks - YouTube[/ame]

MaxRide

agender mad scientist (they/them)
Coldplayer
I was there last night! :awesome: I'll write up my full review (along w/ pictures) later, but I will say this now: If you have seats next to the runway, you will have a great view. :wacky:

(I have a bag full of confetti sitting on my desk now..and pieces of the balloons as well. Security was herding people out of the venue after the concert, so no setlist, but oh well)

Can anyone remind me when the balloons came on? Yellow or Lovers in Japan?

Strawberry Hill

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Yes, it was Lovers in Japan. I have good video of it, just haven't been able to share it yet - technical glitches.

AgainstTheWorld

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I'd love to see them.. :D
Here we go:
Lovers in Japan
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lxZ-GUcFxs&feature=plcp"]Coldplay - Lovers in Japan - Washington, DC - July 8, 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

The Scientist
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh31TKb3xwQ&feature=plcp"]Coldplay - The Scientist - Washington, DC - July 8, 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

Major Minus
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XuHXJXezi0&feature=plcp"]Coldplay - Major Minus (part 1) - Washington, DC - July 8, 2012 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3-30al8jWQ&feature=plcp"]Coldplay - Major Minus (part 2) - Washington, DC - July 8, 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

It's really bad audio quality. But video is OK.