MYL OXYL OTO - My take on Coldplay's clever and perhaps subversive new album title

Jedi Leo

A guy full of stars
Coldplayer
We know for sure that the title is not random and not in a foreign language....so now we can narrow it down to the remaining 1.345.000 possibilities!

BloodlessRevolutioner

Wheels Keep On Turning
Coldplayer
xyloto it's means something with xylophones. Chris Martin said in the billboard interview that he was listing to Bruce Springsteen. In Bruce Springsteens songs, the are xylophones, maybe Chris is inspired to the xylophones in Bruce's songs?

Strawberry Swinger

Up With The Birds
Coldplayer
you can't compare radiohead's music to coldplay's music, come on.. they are two different worlds. x&y and kid a... totally different...

mmm,kid a... *goes to listen*

The Mad Hatter

the least you could do
Coldplayer
i don't think they were actually comparing the music. i think it was more that the albums are somewhat equal in each band's evolution

or some shit

Samuel_94

Car Kid
Coldplayer
Haha i never thought that it might be a person. Oracle implied that we will find out soon. I bet it is something really amazing and all the people who said they hate the name will say they love it

House

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
The Oracle replies:

This could win the prize for the most asked question in the shortest space of time! All I will say is that if the band are asked it as many times as I have been asked, an answer will appear soon enough! I'd rather not be the revealer on this occasion.
I will dispel a couple of suggestions I received though. It's not been randomly made up with no meaning at all nor is it a foreign language.
Everyone has been so patient so far with all the teasing that has been going on during the past 3 months so I'm sure we can hang on a little longer...

Guess it will be a name

:mad::mad:

Xanderp15

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
a guess....

Just my two cents...

could it be something as simple as:

Mylo - scottish electronica artist/producer, suggesting the influence/use of electronic beats/tunes

Xylo - suggesting the acoustic side of things (also present on the album)

-to - also? (I realize it is missing the second 'o' to mean "also") ultimately meaning Electronic and Acoustic Too...

Most likely a fool's search on google came of this but it makes since as well...the guys did in fact say that there was a massive clusterf*ck of acoustic songs and non-acoustic forces pulling at each other on this album.

bdevil89

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
Xander - that might be it - they are combining two different genres on this album perhaps and could be a reference to that - I can't wait to see what they explain it as - but acoustic meets electronica is not a bad guess. Nice - keep it going, it's fun to read all the different thoughts out there.

Xanderp15

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
yep

Xander - that might be it - they are combining two different genres on this album perhaps and could be a reference to that - I can't wait to see what they explain it as - but acoustic meets electronica is not a bad guess. Nice - keep it going, it's fun to read all the different thoughts out there.

It would be unlike them for it to be as simple as this, though. We will see soon enough though! The peppers have an album coming out in a couple weeks to hold me over anyway!

Alice42

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
@bdevil89
You're amazing!(and CRAZY)...How the hell did you think of that???Your theory is very interesting and I bet that a part of it it's actually true.!Well done:)

Samuel_94

Car Kid
Coldplayer
Just my two cents...

could it be something as simple as:

Mylo - scottish electronica artist/producer, suggesting the influence/use of electronic beats/tunes

Xylo - suggesting the acoustic side of things (also present on the album)

-to - also? (I realize it is missing the second 'o' to mean "also") ultimately meaning Electronic and Acoustic Too...

Most likely a fool's search on google came of this but it makes since as well...the guys did in fact say that there was a massive clusterf*ck of acoustic songs and non-acoustic forces pulling at each other on this album.
nice idea ;)
Although if this was the real one I would be disappointed. I am expecting something really big and meaningful. I'm really puzzled because Oracle said it wasnt a foreign language!:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:\:thinking:

bdevil89

Coldplayer
Thanks Alice - it really was the community though bc as I was reading people's other theories or discovering that there was this UK street artist Mylo who may have inspired them to look at the history of graffiti, alternative media and how it conveyed subversive, or not mainstream toe the line kind of messages to the public. My theory could be way off base, but it's fun trying to figure it out regardless.

I am fascinated with words and their origins a lot - was an excellent speller because i noticed in English that there were patterns to having certain letters together and usually came from a certain language in this case, Latin, Greek, German, French, etc. - So seeing this title and then realizing that they arranged it in a different way on the cover than the standard MYLO then XYLOTO really got me thinking and hence the monster known as my take on it was born.

I'm glad Debs cleared up that there is meaning behind title, bc that would have been disappointing but I knew that couldn't be. As for the not being a foreign language part, perhaps then it is the name of the protagonist in the story. I say that, bc again, that street artist Mylo somehow has to tie into this whole concept, and in a way it will bring attention to his work to global masses
(check out the site - http://xylo.me/ The top letters of the site is XYLO in his font - similar to the font that coldplay has been using. The connection is too coincidental.

Regardless - I love seeing other people's ideas about it, keep them coming, and each day brings closer to the tracklisting and Coldplay's explanation about the title. Best,

bdevil89

Coldplayer
btw, here's an explanation to xylo's work by xylo himself - and it totally fits into Coldplay's theme and new album -

"I think [Street Art] offers a very necessary arena of expression free from the constraints of commerce, and has an important role to play in providing a physical manifestation of dissent. This in turn then makes people feel slightly more liberated by it’s presence, perhaps looking on it as something essential to the human spirit which defies an increasingly sinister type of sanitization and control of public space." - Xylo

Radical/dissenting ideas conveyed to the public/masses.

"On a more personal level, I’ve found that making it can help lessen feelings of alienation and powerlessness that arise due to various negative aspects of society. Hopefully through the use of street art to highlight some of these issues people will become more aware of the need for change and thus form a critical mass of consciousness to overcome inertia."

I just read another comment on another thread regarding the song MTM, Alien Nation, U.F.O, A Hopeful Transmission and how they all may be connected in perhaps an earlier concoction or concept of the album. Someone wrote alien nation as alienation perhaps as a play on words or accidentally which got me thinking. They were going for a theme of feeling like you're from another world. For xylo, perhaps he was feeling alienated in a world of consumerism and one that was becoming increasingly less private for individuals. Anyway, another theory to throw out there.

Keep it going...

bdevil89

Coldplayer
That site is awesome btw, check out the other street artists - clearly this group was the inspiration for Coldplay - they saw all of this artwork as they're walking around London and boom - idea for the new album and concept.

Check out this quote by Roa, another street artist -

"Graffiti is one of the most free art expressions of the world; you don’t do it for money nor for an institution, it’s free expression and it liberates yourself creatively from a lot of restrictions"

This album will be freeing for Coldplay - some suggested like Kid A or OK computer was for Radiohead, MYLO XYLOTO may be a continuation of that evolution of their sound from the constraints of what they started out with back in 1998. But, I think Viva was definitely the beginning for them though on that path of liberation. More to ponder.