✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

stephen

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

This poll is closed to new votes

The difference as to the musical taste of the four of them becomes more and more obvious now that they are on a gap year (or gap years). Look at the music Chris loves as revealed on Twitter and the music Guy loves as shown on Synchro Sunday. It couldn't be more different. And Will once said he loved listening to classical music. I wonder how they will ever agree on making new songs.

I don't think this is something radically new though.

The 4 of them have always been quite different as people and interests. They all seemingly have an eclectic taste in music (From Beatles to Rihanna to Kate Bush to Kraftwerk to My Bloody Valentine to Guy's interest in repetitive funk bass lines and on and on), which leads to their genre-less music. They kind of dabble in everything, and that's what makes Coldplay work. And that's why their body of musical work is so immense and great and different, because they all have different tastes yet they all have to agree on a song for it to see the light of day.

• Like 9

I just completed watching the VH1 Storytellers Coldplay episode from the X&Y era, thanks to @jc90 ! Thanks again for that, I enjoyed it so much.

Near the end, Chris said this regarding the song Fix You and the X&Y album as a whole:

..."me and John started doing it in Chicago and it got recorded in about five different countries, and then we ended up throwing most of it away and going right back to the beginning, which is kind of what we did on our record anyway, we sort of got rid of all the paraphernalia surrounding a big band, and we went right back to basics, just the four of us."

After hearing this, it really resonated with me. All I could think was, "My, I really deeply hope that this is the mentality going into LP8."

I completely agree with @I ran away , in that I'm not expecting a full return to their roots, but I hope that their focus is like Chris said back during X&Y--getting rid of all the paraphernalia (like the super pop-style influence, and focus on collab'ing with the Beyonce's), and focus on the band and the basics and the amazing music they make together as a foursome.

OMG, I didn’t realize this. I first started seriously listening at X & Y while going into and recovering from my first back surgery. I would have been there in Chicago! Wish I’d been able to go to my first concert then, but I also had surgery during Viva and couldn’t go until MX.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

:D Seriously, I hope they will come up with something very different for the start of their next chapter. I'm not expecting a return to their roots, but more of the same would also be rather disappointing.

For starting a completely new chapter I VERY hope they go back to their roots!^^

• Like 2

Hi, nobody knows what the music will be like but Chris always has a clear idea what the wants the sound to be and the basis for future Coldplay songs will stem from that.

Even though it would be mad to think about an album full of songs, started by Will, Guy and Jon, I don't think that dynamic would work either, it's the combination of ideas from all that provides the final product.

I don't think they'll go back to their roots, but surely there will be a "new sound" again.

• Like 3

Nothing bad with collaborations, but please...not singers like Rihanna.

There is some much talented people out there...

Why not collaborate with Aurora Aksnes, Adele, Lana Del Rey, U2, Gorillaz, Alexi Murdoch, Depeche Mode, Fink, etc....?

There might be more talented artists than Rihanna, but lets not pretend like Rihanna isn't talented....

Just because its a style you dont like, or not used to, doesnt make her not talented.

• Like 7

There might be more talented artists than Rihanna, but lets not pretend like Rihanna isn't talented....

Just because its a style you dont like, or not used to, doesnt make her not talented.

Exactly. I would prefer her over a collaboration with someone like Cardi B. No offense to those who like her, but that would just be awful imo.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Guy has left LA and is on his way home. He spent just a week in California with his family and showed us all the places he went to.

He might have seen Chris, but there was surely no time for recording new songs.

And obviously Will and Jonny weren't there.

So I think it is not in the near future that we will have new Coldplay music, perhaps next year.

• Like 3

The difference as to the musical taste of the four of them becomes more and more obvious now that they are on a gap year (or gap years). Look at the music Chris loves as revealed on Twitter and the music Guy loves as shown on Synchro Sunday. It couldn't be more different. And Will once said he loved listening to classical music. I wonder how they will ever agree on making new songs.

To add something to it; I remember something that Jonny once said in an interview about his musical taste, namely: that he occasionally listens to jazz. I think think this was during an interview with the four of them in Japan. Found it. It was a really nice interview (that you probably have seen already) and shot in Korea, 2017.

It's nice that they haven't done the interview with the four of them at the same time all together because who do you think would take the floor if he wishes? No 'love and togetherness' this time, well, not that I can remember. I genuinly think that Will, Guy and Jonny finally got the chance to speak without being interrupted by Chris.

Here you can see what Jonny says about their musical preferences and how it's changed over the years. To be completely honest, jazz is a music genre that I don't really like at all. I hadn't expected that Jonny likes this genre of music until I saw this in 2017. We'll just have to wait and see how it goes and how it will eventually work out.

Again, I think this is a really good interview, it might be the best of the AHFOD era IMO. You should watch it entirely if you haven't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=sGIOKrYuWgQ;t=283

They kind of dabble in everything, and that's what makes Coldplay work. And that's why their body of musical work is so immense and great and different, because they all have different tastes yet they all have to agree on a song for it to see the light of day.

Just like Zero Theory said, all those different tastes of theirs is exactly what makes it Coldplay. I actually feel like that is truly the key to Coldplay's music.

• Like 4

I think think this was during an interview with the four of them in Japan. Found it. It was a really nice interview (that you probably have seen already) and shot in Korea, 2017.

Thanks for the video. I hadn't seen it before. It's funny that even when Chris is not sitting next to him in an interview Guy hardly says anything and now he is so outspoken on his Instagram account.

• Like 4

Now there are 2 possibilities that is going to happen in the next 24 hours.

1. Nothing much will happen. Perhaps a festival announcement where Coldplay will perform.

2. All hell breaks loose

I'll introduce point #3: Anything that happens will be tied to the fan group itself and not to the band.

• Like 1

I'll introduce point #3: Anything that happens will be tied to the fan group itself and not to the band.

I agree with you. Why should a fan group in Mongolia know anything new about Coldplay?

This rainbow-coloured question mark is probably just a hint at Chris accompanying Kathey Musgraves on the piano for her song 'Rainbow' at the iHeartRadio Music Awards in LA two days ago.

So Chris is busy playing the piano and Guy, according to his Instagram account, is taking part in a car race and has his Synchro Sunday Project going on tonight. As to Will and Jonny, we know nothing. Each of the four is obviously pursuing his own business.

• Like 2

And now for something that more closely resembles news from twitter:

[MEDIA=twitter]1107336555075723266[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/coldplayxtra/status/1107336555075723266

[MEDIA=twitter]1107317545265176579[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/lena_tayara/status/1107317545265176579

I mean, we kinda suspected that after the whole thing about Guy (with Chris) in LA, but we didn't really know about all four of them recording meaning Will and Jonny as well. News isnt super surprising, but very nice to hear it from someone.

• Like 11

And now for something that more closely resembles news from twitter:

[MEDIA=twitter]1107336555075723266[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/coldplayxtra/status/1107336555075723266

[MEDIA=twitter]1107317545265176579[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://twitter.com/lena_tayara/status/1107317545265176579

I mean, we kinda suspected that after the whole thing about Guy (with Chris) in LA, but we didn't really know about all four of them recording meaning Will and Jonny as well. News isnt super surprising, but very nice to hear it from someone.

I wonder if there's any chance Will and Jonny were there too?

Perhaps, but because Lena wrote out the tweet like that, saying recording on both sides of the pond, in my mind, it was C and G in LA and W and J in ENG.

Probably didn't intend it to be interpreted like that though tbh. Regardless, im happy they are recording. I knew they couldnt really stay away for that long.

I recall hearing Chris describe it as music always being sent to him and he cant control it. Which would suggest if a good idea comes through, he HAS to go to a studio to work on it or jot it down!

• Like 3