✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Everyday Life Leak Discussion [SPOILERS INSIDE]

stephen

The fading in from WOTW/POTP into Arabesque is one of my favourite moments on the album.

I’ve been sat here grinning like an absolute fool for the better part of an hour. I just can’t believe how much I love this. This is exactly what I’ve been asking for years. Indie, Angsty, X&Y esque moments and I’m getting a big dark country vibe from it.

More articulated discussion to come but I’m a bit overwhelmed at the moment. [spoiler/]

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunrise

It is really good! A unique opener to a unique album.

Church

Those drums!!! One of the best on the album. I don't like a lot the production on vocals.

Trouble In Town

I adore it! The first half sounds like For You and E-lo had a baby.

I think the snippets ruin the song...

BrokEn

Weird and something Coldplay wouldn't put out in any way. A good filler. Only Chris, the choir and a simple drum beat in this one.

Daddy

The melody reminds me Famous Old Painters. The lyrics are VERY simple, but I don't mind. Very emotional and Viva-esque. Vocals remind me Prospekt's March. The xylophone is a well-suited addition to the song and sounds a bit like No Surprises.

WOTW/POTP

Just a demo of a seemingly forgetable tune. :(

Arabesque

The best f*cking song on the album PERIOD.

When I Need A Friend

VERY weird! I think it is a good experimental filler nothing more... Again only Chris and a choir.

The snippet in the end seems to me random AF. I like the rain sounds and the bells

Guns

One of my favourites! Raw, real and energetic chorus. The accoustic guitar shines

Orphans

"Feel Good Indie Pop" done right. Good production, exploding chorus, sophisticated verses. Powerful message.

Eko

Simple lyrics, quiet and accoustic. Nothing exceptional though.

Cry Cry Cry

I know a lot of you won't like this one. I need to listen to it a few more times, but listening to it a couple of times I love it. I like this kind of lo-fi jazzy songs and Coldplay did it the right way.

Old Friends

Similar to Eko, accoustic. Again only Chris.

Bani Adam

Kaleidoscope is that you? :joy:

The piano interlude is very similar to Kaleidoscope, but longer and more complex. I can't wait to learn playing it on piano!

The second half is very interesting instrumentally. Again the poem and the snippets shout I'm Kaleidoscope 2.0!

Champion Of The World

My second favourite after Arabesque. It is much more memorable than any other song on the album, except maybe Orphans.

Oldplay for sure, the chorus reminds me a bit Christmas Lights. And the first time you can hear electric guitar after Orphans. :(

Everyday Life

It sums up the album very well. One of the best on the album. I wish it had more of Jonny.

Overall

The music and the production are a BIG relief after AHFOD. Chris's vocals are very prominent and most the songs seem well-thought and experimental. I may say that it is as experimental as VLV, but definitely not their "Kid A", this is still Coldplay. I need to listen to it a few more times, but I think it's safe to say it's their best work of this decade.

I think that snippets ruin the experience. I wouldn't mind for one or two, but this album has a ton of them...

Then, I think one of the pros of AHFOD was that all members had their part in all of the songs. A lot of the songs on EL sound like Chris going solo with the help of all these collaborators. At least it's a good sign that, in this period in music history, they don't have any major collaborator in any of the songs.

Will has some prominent vocal moments in the album, drums are a bit soft and minimal.

Jonny and Guy are restrained in most of the songs, but their contribution is astonishing!

• Like 5

The snippets are one of my favourite things about this album, very experimental and something people thought Coldplay wouldn’t be capable of putting a bit of edginess into their music. Glad the band proved them all wrong.

I'm not listening, so maybe you'll be able to help me out. What does everyone mean by 'snippets?' Did something get released I hadn't known about?

I'm not listening, so maybe you'll be able to help me out. What does everyone mean by 'snippets?' Did something get released I hadn't known about?

There’s different ‘Voice Memos’ of people talking over the music in certain songs, is the only way I could describe them

In Trouble in Town it’s what seems to be an argument between a racist cop and Malcolm X and there’s profanity. It’s great really, there’s some intensity in that song.[spoiler/]

I've got to say this is one of the strangest release they'd put out. Done with my first listen of the album and I'm quite surprised about it (in a really good way). Will probably share my opinions per track later on. Need to sleep for now because it's already 1am here.

• Like 3

After first listen, all I can say is this is the most unique we’ve heard Coldplay in years (and it’s a bit overwhelming). There are some really amazing tracks on this album. Each song is unique in its own way. Worth the wait (and not just the last couple months, but the wait the last several years)

• Like 2

Guys, This is amazing! As a big Ghost Stories fan, this is absolutely their best album since VLV. I got to agree with the decision of not touring with this album. I think Sunrise is better than Sunset but not with a big margin. Cry Cry Cry is pretty interesting to say the least and I loved it. That's all I can say right now since I listened to it just once.

My top 5

1. Daddy (could listen with eyes closed for hours)

2. Champion of the World

(classic oldplay right here)

3. Arabesque

you already know

4. Sunrise

absolutely breathtaking instrumental

5. Trouble in Town

it's so hard to explain but very good

• Like 1

I’m kinda lost for words .. this was such an interesting listen !! I was brought to tears a few times . And smiles many more times

major surprises

Daddy !

Old friend ( the music in this is top notch )

And well champion of the world

I reallllllly enjoyed cry cry cry .

Wow this was soooo different lol I’m

Actually just as excited for the real release to listen to this with lyrics .. as usual I just couldn’t quite understand quite a few things . I just want to sing COTW in concert you can’t not smile when you listen to this .. right !

I’m very satisfied !

Mind you some things we’re a little odd , odd to hear Chris in a gospel way which is what I felt from several songs .. not that it’s a bad thing at all just wasn’t something I heard before

Bravo Coldplay !!

• Like 2

Unpopular opinion here: BrokEn is amazing. I understand the criticism though, not everyone likes gospel but as someone who loves gospel, loved Jesus is King and with Coldplay being my favourite band, a gospel Coldplay song was a dream come true. I loved it. My favourite off the album though is probably going to be Daddy, When I Need a Friend, Old Friends or Champion of the World.

This album is oing to age very well, mark my words on this. This could be my favourite of Coldplay's albums after a couple more listens.

If I had to rate my favourite albums right now it would go:

1. EL
  2. VLV
  3. AROBTTH
  4. GS
  5. X&Y
  6. Parachutes
  7. MX
  8. AHFOD

I am biased though because I am a sucker for cohesive albums that you listen to from front to back in one go. If you look at my ranking you can tell the albums I ranked near the top are the ones who are listened to that way the most.

All in all, amazing album, the album I've been waiting for since VLV. This is an album that will only get better with time. A masterpiece. I was always hyped with new releases but nothing like this since Viva. Bravo Coldplay

EDIT: The piano in Bani Adam definitely seems to have the same progression and chords as the piano in Kaleidoscope.

• Like 6

So for now my short review and ranking:

1. Trouble in Town - holy shit this is so good. The ambient dark vibe, with the heavy bass and the outburst with drums is soooo good. Maybe their best song ever IMO

2. Church - I get, the Race vibes. It's very ambient as well. Nice guitar by Jonny and the woman's voice at the end is magical.

3. Champion of the World

Coldplay in it's essence. It encapsulates it all. Great song. Needs another listen.

4. Daddy

So beautiful. X&Y and Gravity vibes. So emotional and heartfelt lyrics. I like the way Chris sings it. Could use some more Jonny though.

5. Guns

Very honest, raw and unfiltered. Love it. Hope CM+J play this together and make it even more rock.

This is it for now. The rest will follow after more listens.

Overall: love it. It is definitely NOT pop, but I don't know what it is! It feels like this album is really everything Coldplay is and stands for. This is their sound and they have finally found it. It is the best of both worlds (old and new) and I'm loving it. I only hope we will hear more Jonny during the live performances, he's not very present in most of these songs.

And the GRAMMY goes to ☀️

• Like 3

That album is really beautiful it has some memorable tracks on it not like any other album they did since MX

Sunrise

Church

Trouble in Town

Daddy (who would ever thought that this gonna be one of our favorite songs off the album)

Arabesque

Guns

Orphans

Bani Adam

Champion of The World

Everyday Life

Almost every track on the album is memorable with some great music on it.

Thanks to Coldplay.

• Like 2

Yep, that was a bit for a bummer for me too.

And I think this is the album with the least amount of electric guitar (aka Jonny) ever done, and I don't like that.

I’m sorry as a fellow Oldplayer, you can’t see this album the way I do :pensive:

Jonny has some great lines here. Fair enough, it doesn’t sound electric like AROBTTH or X&Y but the acoustic segments here are great.

I don’t know what more people could want, This is the album I’ve been asking for for ages.

It wasn’t so long ago this band released an album called AHFOD.. and we all know what that sounded like... I’ll say no more.

• Like 6