Welcome to Coldplaying!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Criticisms with the album?

Blakexy1125

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
Lets hear what you don't like about it!

Personally this is my list of things I didn't like

-Weak lyrics
-Electric drums instead of acoustic.
-Felt very chris-centric
- No song really stuck out to me. The only song that I see playing 3 years from now would be AIMH

What other gripes do you have?

KiarashYAY

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Agreed lyrics are awful. But Chris kinda said they would be so i don't know, it's almost as if he knows they are but it's the words from his heart I guess?

Not enough Johnny, all of him is muted or replaced by synths for some reason. As for drums, I'm sure it was Will's choice but would've been nice to have heard actual drums :/

The album is almost Chris feat. Band at times, agreed eg O, AIMH, Midnight...

I think it's a bit overproduced but only very slightly and it works most of the time - AA is one that slightly upset me because the effects on Chris's voice were so unneccessary but oh well, love the album. Guitar solo (only proper one in album?) during True Love is the best thing i've ever heard from Coldplay

Benjamin Linus

LOST!
Coldplayer
Honestly, I can't say much. The only thing I don't like is A Sky Full of Stars. I've come to like the song as a single, but it's really out of place on the album (musically). But outside of that, I think this album is wonderful. I love every other track, and I think the production is great.

EDIT: I can agree about some of the lyrics being bad. I'll probably have stuff thrown at me, but I've never thought Martin was the best lyricist. So it's not really that much of a big deal for me. I don't like Coldplay for their lyrics. *ducks* That's not to say he can't write some beautiful things. But it's never been the bands strong suit. I've always found the melody/vocal delivery more important than the lyrics.

rafaelchampion

Stare at me.
Coldplayer
- Electric drums instead of acoustic.
- Felt very chris-centric
- No song really stuck out to me. The only song that I see playing 3 years from now would be AIMH

This + 1000. I'm struggling with myself for this feeling but how can you tell it's William Champion playing drums and not anyone else? Well, you can't. Generic Synth drums could totally be made by Chris himself. Listen to INK. What are Will and Jonny doing while that song plays? I can't even hear bass. Always In My Head is the only song with the Cold-Identity I could hear until now.
I am really really angry with myself for not liking it as much as I wanted and I am trying very hard but Coldplay is more than Chris Martin to me.

goodmusiclover

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I do love this album. But like everywhere there are also some negative points.

- Only electric drums used
- I don't like the heavy beats that are used in some songs
- Some songs (Ink, A Sky Full Of Stars, Magic) felt a bit overly mainstream.

These are my only negative points. I really love this album and think it's much, much better than MX!

Choldplayer

Coldplayer
I've said this before but I love old Coldplay before MX and VLV. I almost feel like I've got them back with this. There's a vulnerability/sadness about it which was there in the earlier albums. I don't think later fans will like it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

golfing7861

High fivin' Chris
Coldplayer
I'm in the minority, but Oceans sucks. Feels to unenthusiastic and just thrown in there.

Blakexy1125

Coldplayer
I like the album but it just doesn't feel like it has much depth to it... It all feels like one song to me...

KiarashYAY

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I'm in the minority, but Oceans sucks. Feels to unenthusiastic and just thrown in there.
Not as good as it's live counterpart, that's for sure. I still feel it does itself justice - beautiful acoustic number but the synth beat thingy kinda overpowers it.

rafaelchampion

Stare at me.
Coldplayer
Oh my god I am so angry with myself but I can't dislike it more than I dislike at the moment.

nev72

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
It was quite short, I'd have liked another song or two to bring it up to an average length.
The majority of the songs are beautiful, but will they suit a stadium or festival environment? I doubt it.

KiarashYAY

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
If they replaced all the synthy background noise with piano/electric/acoutic guitar and put Will on an acoustic drumkit the album would be beyond perfection

Can someone confirm: are the background string noises actual violins etc or just keyboard noises? :'( DON'T BREAK MY HEART

MasoKnight

Give me love over this...
Coldplayer
The opening minute of Ink and the majority of A Sky Full of Stars are cringe-worthy, but otherwise this is miles better than MX.

Obviously the Eno influence is still strong; the textures aren't quite as smooth or coherent, but I think it works with the album's atmosphere.

Edit: I was also worried that Midnight would sound weird as the centerpiece, but it actually works really well.