Random Coldplay thoughts...

42Escapist

You could be me, I could be you
Coldplayer
I never saw this until today... Brendon Urie singing Fix You:
View: https://youtu.be/hl3Iei5msn4

I'm not the biggest fan of his newer Panic! At the Disco work, especially now that it's really just a solo project instead of a full band, but man oh man he is a talented singer. Now I kind of wish he'd collaborate with Coldplay.

42Escapist

Coldplayer
Exactly, it tells us more about how good of an interviewee Chris is than why there won't be a tour. Typical tabloid misinformation from the BBC there.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/B5H89ALAjOB/

Got four hours of sleep last night and when I first woke up and saw this post I thought for a second they changed their minds about doing a small tour rip
Oh my goodness same, I woke up, saw this, and immediately thought it was a tour announcement :joy:

Famous Old Painter

KICKS LIKE A SLEEP TWICH
Coldplayer
Not to make a big deal of this but, is Chris alright? He hasn’t been anywhere near his usual bubbly self in any of the EL interviews thus far. Even in the Ghost Stories era he was more upbeat. His comments on Glastonbury got me especially concerned; refusing to play there again all because of something some idiot on Twitter said. That’s very unlike him.

merril

Up&Up
Coldplayer
Not to make a big deal of this but, is Chris alright? He hasn’t been anywhere near his usual bubbly self in any of the EL interviews thus far. Even in the Ghost Stories era he was more upbeat. His comments on Glastonbury got me especially concerned; refusing to play there again all because of something some idiot on Twitter said. That’s very unlike him.
You are right, Chris has changed a lot, no more joking, no more laughing and he seems so very thin-skinned, though he says he doesn't mind criticism. He was heavily criticised for his two appearances on the last Galstonbury Festival and it might be that his bandmates criticised him as well for doing so many small gigs during the last summer, and always on his own without the band. Maybe there are difficult things going on in his personal life, who knows. But his refusal to play Glastonbury may also result from the fact that they won't have enough songs which they could play. Hardly any song from the new album would be suitable for Glastonbury.

42Escapist

Coldplayer
I do think it's weird that they've been talking about not caring about what people think of them anymore and then this one tweet kinda sets Chris off. Especially after the way Chris says he reacted to criticism of the band's Super Bowl performance. But it's understandable.

Chris has got fame, but he's also human just like the rest of us. People with fame may develop a thick skin in the public eye, but for all we know they could be struggling beneath the surface. To me Everyday Life and Ghost Stories both represent a lot of that angst and sadness underneath the surface of the band that just can't be expressed through the MX/AHFOD Coldplay persona of this band that plays larger-than-life shows with bright colors and songs about being happy. GS and EL are what happens when they shed that skin and allow themselves to be vulnerable.

As for Glastonbury... they just played Glasto 3 and a half years ago, and they've performed twice in the past 10 years. Add to that the fact that the Everyday Life era isn't really suited for big shows with big crowds, and I think it becomes clear that 2020 just isn't the right time. I don't think it's the right time for festivals in general, apart from that Global Citizen Festival appearance next September (assuming that isn't canceled).

onlylove

Up&Up
Coldplayer
I am a person who thinks I have it under control and don't care what people think, then something comes along that sets off my insecurities again. It is a cycle...some days I can handle it beautifully, some days I can't. I imagine person like Chris who seems to also have anxiety and insecurity goes through this too, even if he is famous.

Carolina*

Up&Up
Coldplayer
Is it just me or does every single person that's too "cool" to like Coldplay without totally hating them have a soft spot for Shiver

gai

coldplaymakesmyday

You're so far away. That's okay.
Coldplayer
So, I'm watching Back to the Future and reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for the first time, and I just have to say that the band has some really great taste. Every dedicated Coldplayer should do this, because it's a really great way to get to know the band. I'm thinking of listening to A-ha more often as well, because Chris is a really big fan of them. Also, Guy is close friends with Magne F, a musician of that band and a member of Apparatjik. Is there anything else I should do to get to know the band better?

Carolina*

Up&Up
Coldplayer
So, I'm watching Back to the Future and reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for the first time, and I just have to say that the band has some really great taste. Every dedicated Coldplayer should do this, because it's a really great way to get to know the band. I'm thinking of listening to A-ha more often as well, because Chris is a really big fan of them. Also, Guy is close friends with Magne F, a musician of that band and a member of Apparatjik. Is there anything else I should do to get to know the band better?
Maybe listen to some of their inspirations for each specific album? And Guy said they were really inspired by Mercury Rev's album Deserter's Songs as the band formed so I feel like it's an interesting listen to symbolize their first times together.

mathieu_cpfan

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Echo & the Bunnymen were a huge inspiration for AROBTTH era Coldplay. Also, the new songs that were played during the last legs on the AROBTTH tour that didn't end up on X&Y almost all sound like Echo & the Bunnymen songs (minus the vocals). Which was probably one of the reasons why the first recording sessions for X&Y ended up being discarded. :p

mathieu_cpfan

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
The creepiest song in their catalogue? I'm sure it's just a coincidence..
Shiver was played during my wedding in the city hall. o_O
My sister popped in the Parachutes cd in the city hall sound system before the wedding. It sounded so cool they kept it on blasting at full volume during the entire ceremony. I couldn't hear a thing of what the mayor was saying, but it was pretty unique. :cool: