[5-Aug-2011] Coldplay @ Lollapalooza Festival, Chicago

busybeeburns

mr coldplaying himself
Founder
Coldplayer
First post updated with a confirmation article from Sun Times. Thanks for the updates guys! :)

Tash

clueing for looks
Coldplayer

Lollapalooza headline show announced
26 April 2011 3:12 pm
Coldplay to perform at Chicago festival in August

Good afternoon, we're pleased to report that Coldplay have added a North American date to their summer of festival shows. The band will headline this year's Lollapalooza festival which takes place in Chicago's Grant Park from August 5th-7th. It hasn't yet been announced which particular day Coldplay will perform on (we'll let you know as soon as it's revealed).

Three day passes for the festival, costing $215, are on sale now from the official Lollapalooza website.

For the full list of Coldplay's summer 2011 shows, click here.

Anchorman

SueDeNimes

CRAZY IS GOOD!
Coldplayer
I'm extremely glad I booked a hotel at the beginning of the year. 5 nights at Travelodge for $800 for a 3-person deluxe room. (Yeah, we're arriving a bit early to do some sight-seeing before the festival) I didn't book a flight until about a month ago, so I didn't really hit any bargains there, but I can't assume they would have gone down in price.

Basically, everyone from the Muse board had been planning an invasion of this festival for months. Most of them happen to also be Coldplay fans, though, so meeting all my old Muser friends again plus meeting some of you Coldplayers is gonna make this the greatest travel expenditure of my life. :D
That really sounds like a great trip! :awesome:

Lore

Up&Up
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
why didn't they headline lollapalooza chile :bigcry: well, I'm happy for those who can go even though I still don't get the point in touring without new stuff, they're just being lazy and need to release LP5 asap

Texasluvsjonny

Jonny's personal fluffer
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
why didn't they headline lollapalooza chile :bigcry: well, I'm happy for those who can go even though I still don't get the point in touring without new stuff, they're just being lazy and need to release LP5 asap
Hush you! They have the next several years to tour LP5. I. Want some live Amsterdam and rush of blood to the head.:angry:

Corkus

Pretentious Tool
Coldplayer
While I'm not expecting many rarities either, I still haven't heard Trouble or Shiver live, which were performed at the holiday shows and I consider fair game. Really, Parachutes needs more love in general at live shows.

But if they decide to say screw all rules and play Amsterdam, I might drown the crowd in my tears.

Also, I've decided I'm NOT going to camp out on the barrier all day for Coldplay. I'm already doing that for Muse with a bunch of friends, and there's too many acts I want to see at the festival for me to spend 2 of my 3 days not moving on a sweaty barricade. I'll stick it out for the few acts leading up to Coldplay in order to ensure a good spot, but I'll live fine with not being the #1 closest person.

BTW, my predicted day for Coldplay is Saturday. Foo Fighters are heavily rumored for Sunday, while Muse plays Kansas on Saturday so they'll probably go Friday (they move to the west coast after that, so it's logical geographically). Eminem will squeeze in somewhere.

Lore

Up&Up
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
this is different than the holiday shows, I mean this is not just for coldplay fans so they probably won't get too much attention if they play amsterdam for example (which I'd love to hear anyway since it's one of my fave cp songs :dazzled:). Shiver has better options in my opinion :wacky:

l0wxo2

I Saw Sparks
Coldplayer
I was half hoping CP would be there, then (for the sake of my finances) praying they wouldn't. Well, there went $1000 in the span of five minutes.

If anyone is unaware, hotels in the area fill up fast (few are already sold out). If you'd like to be closer to Grant Park, start booking now. Looks like rates have raised again since last year (think I saw Travelodge wanted over $700 for 2 nights or it could've been Best Western). Congress Plaza is still under $200/night.
I just booked 3 nights(August 5th-8th) at the Congress Plaza through Expedia and it only showed a couple rooms left for rooms with a queen size bed. I am happy with how close it is to Grant Park and the room prices were decent.

l0wxo2

I Saw Sparks
Coldplayer
While I'm not expecting many rarities either, I still haven't heard Trouble or Shiver live, which were performed at the holiday shows and I consider fair game. Really, Parachutes needs more love in general at live shows.

But if they decide to say screw all rules and play Amsterdam, I might drown the crowd in my tears.

Also, I've decided I'm NOT going to camp out on the barrier all day for Coldplay. I'm already doing that for Muse with a bunch of friends, and there's too many acts I want to see at the festival for me to spend 2 of my 3 days not moving on a sweaty barricade. I'll stick it out for the few acts leading up to Coldplay in order to ensure a good spot, but I'll live fine with not being the #1 closest person.

BTW, my predicted day for Coldplay is Saturday. Foo Fighters are heavily rumored for Sunday, while Muse plays Kansas on Saturday so they'll probably go Friday (they move to the west coast after that, so it's logical geographically). Eminem will squeeze in somewhere.
I'm debating on if I want to camp out all day long until Coldplay hits the stage. I saw 3 back to back Coldplay shows in 2009 and was in the first and second rows for all three of them, so I'd love to be that close again but i've never been to Lollapoolza before and would really love to experience it fully and see other bands as well.

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
I'm always amazed at the people that have the patience to wait. It's cool to be that close, but I'd go nuts just thinking of all the bands I'm missing!

the.hardest.part

Bass technician =]
Coldplayer
Hey Gianna! No I bought a regular ticket.
Good decision! While all the commodities are awesome, the seats suck. I'm so glad you're going though!

I'm really holding out for another satellite stage like the viva tour so I'm not stuck up front in the same spot for 12 hours!